Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2012

Go down 
+8
TWHRider
Indyapp
Ol'Man
sunny 57
Ellen E
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rick Angell

September 2012 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 am

at 9:30 AM it is 64F heading to 74F with a real nice gentle rain.

This past friday...day before yesterday...I tilled up a section of yard and reseeded it...lime / fertilizer/etc/ You might remember that many years ago I did that sort of work "professionally". That was BEFORE I started trucking...so its been awhile since I did that. I worked "hard" to develop reputation that I did NOT do any "handwork" if there was a machine that could do the task....and I did NOT pick up rock...at all...strictly AGAINST my scruples!! At any rate, this little job on Friday saw me picking up a few rock and I scattered 3 bales of straw 'BY HAND'. This gentle rain should make the grass seed pop right outta the ground. Woe is me...my reputation may be severely damaged.!!

CB...ARK is probably having about the same weather as me...maybe a couple / three degrees cooler due to being at a bit higher elevation and closer proximity to mtns.

Anybody heard from NANCYLEE?? I miss her musical input in the FOOPVILLE community. SVET is much missed also! These two gals need to check in before long!!

Gotta go...SNOOP is on a tear this morning!!

Love to all...RICK
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 am

GRAYMARE...that posting and that little girl!! Really jerks me around. Thank you SOO MUCH for sharing it with us.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:09 am

It sure does Rick .... makes me want to get her glasses fixed .. just to start with. What a great thing for you, Graymare, to get involved with ..... I believe something that you can do that will make a difference.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 am

Rick, sounds like you will have a very beautiful yard! Good work young man!

Graymare, you do good work also...I didn't know you were working with these kids...good for you! Get some 4H horse books if you havn't cuz they have some really good info in them and pictures too...only cost a couple dollars a piece if they arn't in the program. I had two families that had kids with learning disabilities but they loved horses and they learned a lot and they even placed in their classes...which just made their day, and mine too! I miss being a leader, but I did it for a long time. All 3 of the girls were in 4H and I think it really helped Jessi to be able to get up in front of a crowded room today and emcee or give a talk...I still have problems doing that! Kids are great to work with and open our eyes to lots of things...

Carol when will you be heading to AZ? I didn't know if you would be there in October or not when I go thru?

Hubby has ten more working days... affraid ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 pm

CB...You wrote: "Hubby has ten more working days... affraid ClappingHands"

I KNOW that feeling ALL TOO WELL!! I'll be in the truck last full week of the month...helping out because of driver wanting vacation and boss has commitments he wants to honor. I can do that sort of stuff and NOT get too stressed about it. Hubby needs to stay out of truck (even 'part time' until he has completely DE-stressed from the rigors of the road. That will be a goo time to build fence, clear brush, lose a few pounds, and lower anxiety levels.

The yard as a whole is in terrible shape, and I just don't have the XX?? to put it back like I used to keep it. What I did was a large bare spot that didn't have more that a couple weeds growing. I never did like "patch work" when I did that commercially. And this IS patchwork.

Later, FOOPS...I'm enjoying imitating ARK's "slug" today.

Love ya all....RICK
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 pm

CB, these are normal able bodied kids with no "special needs".......they attend reg school in reg classes, and some advanced kids.....................they are socially inappropriate and dysfunctional having had no guidance as tiny children.................many barely know what a horse is, that a dog has feelings, or that a bird is life. They have parents that are murderers, meth addicts, sex offenders, bank robbers, you name it...they're smart and have survived horrific situations.....sev had been adopted legally and then rejected once again....all we're tying to teach them is they are loved and there is hope..................what or who can teach that better than a horse or dog? This is a faith based organization and VERY structured for them.............
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Graymare
Awwwww....what a smart little girl who already knows what makes her life complete. I love what she said.

Rick
It was 59 degrees at lunch. We are at 2050 feet elevation here. It is a good day to be a slug, so we are taking Annie to see Finding Nemo 3D for working hard on cleaning up the barn hay storage areas with us yesterday. I was in the barn 8 hours yesterday getting it ready for the hay. We got 200 bales out of the lower field and left the upper field alone for winter grazing. We are gong to section it off like the "Paradise Paddock" book to graze it and keep our fat horses moving around.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Hiddy HO all you Foop Peeps, been a while since I posted...been on the road then got home last week but was busy busy with cleaning up, luandry, yard work, appointments...missed my dentist one...guess I had too many things written on that itty bitty calender. So I go Tues If I can remember.
Did some riding and camping in NOrthern ONtario...what a great place to ride...and you have to choose the right time because of the horrendous bug situation during summer. But we had it chosen at the perfect time for no bugs and hardly any rain. The scenery was out of this world...It just boggles ones mind that this is all free...crown territory, you just chose a spot and camp...ride...campfires, BBQ very few horse riders, lots of ATVs but they are alll pretty good when they see a horse. I think that we had a few scratching their heads and thinking that they had tooo much to drink the night before...as not many do the riding and camping. Now I have to get prepared for the next adventure in October.
Hope all is well with the Foopsters, I have not gone back to read up on the last posts...
Back to top Go down
TWHRider

TWHRider

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am

I keep getting logged out of all the forums I belong to, not just this one. They are all supported by different software systems so I'm not blaming anything on Free Forums.

Have been doing some reading but not keeping up too well.

I did run across this "Definition of Gaits" that I thought everyone might be interested in. I have one TWH that is capable of performing several of these to perfection when I take him out alone ---- it's why he's been with me 16+ years and still has the new car warranty on him.

Horses have many ways of movements that most of us don't identify as gaits. Of course, we know walk, trot, canter and the various speeds of each of those gaits. We also recognize the additional gaits that "gaited horses" have. Here is a list of other gaits that many horses do. How many does your horse exhibit?

--The Boink
One-beat gait with suspension, often exhibited by horses ridden into a field of white-tailed deer.

--The Lateral Swoop
A sudden sideways leap with shoulder horizontal to the ground, leaving the rider hovering briefly over where the saddle used to be before descending to the ground. Can be precipitated by a tractor starting up outside the arena, snow sliding off the arena roof, a large rock that magically turns into a bear or a green plastic garbage bag.

--The Whirling Dervish
Advanced version of the Lateral Swoop in which the horse spins like a top, frequently launching the hapless rider a long distance by centrifugal force. Specialty of certain Arabians, often caused by
viewing a 4-wheeler approaching on the trail ahead.

--The Yahooey
One of the natural Airs Above the Ground, a highly suspended movement exhibited when turned out or during the first canter in an open field. A variation is the Jet-Assisted Buck & Fart, in which the horse achieves maximum height and momentum aided by the loud expulsion of exhaust gas. Occurs on cold, windy days when the wind goes up the horse's tail and blows his brains out his ears.

--The Omigod
Sudden backwards movement accompanied by loud, rolling snorts, ears stiffly forward and eyes bugging out, exhibited by a horse that has spotted a monster (invisible to the human eye) advancing on him from the front. Can be precipitated in visible form by riding up to a large blue tarp, which the wind then moves slightly.

--The Hot Wheels
Speed gait in which all four legs rotate at high speed, often leaving rubber strips on the ground. Frequently exhibited by runaway ponies, rushing jumpers and horses returning to the barn.

--The Shark Circling the Rowboat
Characteristic movement of lesson horse in ever-decreasing concentric circles around the instructor, until the horse is in the center standing on the instructor's left foot and further progress is impossible. (Old school horses tell new school horses how to do this.)

--The Sloth
Typical gait of school horse who has perfected the art of laziness. No perceptible forward movement, in spite of encouraging kicks, clucks, flapping reins, ineffective crop swats, shouts and jumping up and down. (Note: the Sloth can be transformed into Hot Wheels by the sight of the instructor advancing with lunge whip in hand.)

--The Flapper (also known as the Big Wiggle)
Movement in which the horse shakes like a wet dog, totally terrifying the beginner rider. Horse then grins an evil grin and eats grass.

--The Wallow
Rotational movement performed on the ground, especially in mud, sand or water. Always performed when the instructor is at the other end of the trail ride or not looking.

--Followed by the Upsie Daisy
Which always occurs before the arrival of the instructor. Horse perfects the Wallow by rolling in mud, sand or water, usually defiling the purity of the perfectly clean saddle regardless of screams.

--The Snail Rocket
The two walking gaits of experienced trail horses on the trail. Going out, the walk is so snail-like, time perceptibly slows. Coming back, trotting horses can barely keep up with the rocket walk. Essentially, horses perfectly understand physical law; the speed of the walk is directly proportional to the direction on the trail.

--The Bobber
Gait which old experienced trail horses proceed with child or beginner on back. Walk a few feet, stop, horse pulls reins through hands of beginning rider and eats grass. Repeat 50 times.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am

I have experienced all of the above mentioned gaits. Some consecutively.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 am

TWH
That is too funny,LOL. Ivan is an expert at the Flapper gait. He will shake like a wet dog at least 5 or 6 times per ride. I just stand up in the stirrups and let him agitate...:-)

Eileen
You are sounding happy! Good to hear what you have been up to. When will you go south this year?

Ellen
How did your weekend go?

I am off to a birthday lunch with the friend who stayed in the hospital with me for three days. A very good friend......
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm

I recognize most of those extra gaits...yes I do! all too well....LOL, they are good descriptions and names to match.

ARK, have a fun visit.

Weather is a bit clearer here today...not as much smoke in the air. thank goodness!

I have just been veggin' lately...I know I have a lot to do..but just can't seem to getr done! I think I work better under pressure! So am just veggin'...doing what has to be done...like the feeding, watering, bug sprayin', dishes, sweeping the floors from the latest roll of toilet paper being shredded like snow all over the house! I have two of the doxie pups in the house...they find all kinds of things to tear up and play with...but they are so dang cute. Have one more to sell, and I'm keeping the other one. Yeah, I got too attached...what can I say!

No Rolling Eyes Wink

what's one more anyway... rabbit Laughing Very Happy hug I have a big lap! and when you have 9 mini doxies, one boston terrier and 3 great danes all trying to get a spot...well, what can I say...except "help"... shrug at least I've got the danes down to just putting their heads on the arms of my chair now...that certainly helps! teehee!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:59 pm

CAROL, Happy belated birthday lady! I hope it was a happy one...and you got lots of cake! Did you do anything special?
I'm terrible at remembering anyones special day, I admit it...I forget my own sometimes!..course that is just self preservation! of not gettin' any older! lOL Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

It was an easy weekend, but busy. Spent a lot of Saturday at the motor show, and then eating pizza on the Dixie. Two of them spent the night here; two others stayed at the little motel. Yesterday, we took the boats through the channel to another lake and had lunch. Back through the channels, then they loaded up the boats and finally took off for home about 5:00.
All I had to do was cook breakfast yesterday morning.

Happy Birthday, Carol! Have a FUN day!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 pm

happy birthday Carol hope you have fun and enjoy your day
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Shocked Shocked

Hey on the gaits====Back in time I was riding down my country road. Sure enough this bb----g rottwiler came out and was leaping affraid level with my cantle Shocked Shocked . Believe it or not I felt Sirrocco (best of quarter and Arab combined) shift a little and nailed that booger in mid air probably 135 degree angle/.

I loved that horse. I could go to my pasture and stand by any fence and that guy would find me even at 3:00 am, yup! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 am

Happy Birthday, CAROL!!!!! Hope it has been fun!! Did you do something special?

CB
I saw the cutest toy poodle a few days ago, chocolate brown and maybe 5 pounds. It was so friendly I nearly forgot my vow to never get another one. Eight years of clipping Barooga, my toy poodle, made me swear off the breed. I have also sworn off Angora goats, Angora rabbits, and long haired dogs. I am burned out on grooming, shearing or plucking hair. Cute poodle, though.

Ol'Man
Wow! Sirrocco sounded great! He took good care of you. I don't know what Ivan would do in that situation.

Raining heavily here. I hope Creampuff has found a dry spot. Donnie saw her in the woods behind the barn today. He has caught 5 possums in the live traps, but no cat. He got a wildlife camera and has several photos of her....and of possums, a bunch of raccoons and of a fox.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:22 am

I know grooming...with the doxies with long hair, they take a lot more grooming than the good ol' shorthairs...I can't say I blame you at all...if someone doesn't have anything else to do than sit and brush their pets then its alright...but if you lack for time or busy with other stuff...give me the shorthaired breeds any time!

What is a wildlife camera? is it a special camera? very curious....alright, just plain nosey I am! but y'all know that already! Sorry about Cremepuff...
Razz

Gonna be smokey in the valley tomorrow says the weatherman...ugh....I've had enuf! Another new fire at Robie Creek, north of the big city Boise...homes have been evacuated... rabbit

sweet dreams y'all...OMG...just saw on the news where an 18 month old baby was put in a cage with a gorilla...come on now...I can't wait to hear the whole story...someone needs to be shot endangering a childs' life...WHY do these dumbarses do this to their kids I'll never know...get their five seconds of fame? geesh...a gorilla expert....the kid is now 22 years old...he says they are gentle animals...I don't think I would like to take that chance!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 am

CB, those cameras are infrared and motion will set off the shutter, or start the video. You can find them on Cabelas, or probably Bass Pro Shop.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for all the nice birthday wishes. It was a fun day. Nothing special, but had stuff scheduled with friends and we all had a great time.

Thanks.....
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 pm

thanks Ellen...now how much does one cost? I have something that has worn a path down to my dog pen at night...I don't know what it is...but it makes my dogs go nuts! That would be awesome if I could capture whatever it is. I'm thinking its my neighbors dog, but it could be anything wild also, I guess. It's a big path...not a trail...so I don't know what it is.

Well, goin' into the big town to get groceries and dogfood...always need dogfood! Have a great day y'all.
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Good day y'all...it is raining cats and dogs hear right now...turned a bit cooler too...supposed to be a carbon copy of this for the rest of the week more or less. Oh goodie
Ark...I still have my Tennessee ride to attend in Oct...when I get back from that, it will be a total "hurry up and get this job done" till I head for Florida somewhere in the middle of NOvember, I have not set a date yet. But fall is always busy busy for me.
TWH loved those explanations of the "gaits" rode a few of them but never knew what they were called. lol now I know.
I finally got to the dentist this morning...I slept in for the first one last Friday...he did not seem too upset about it...said he was reading the paper and never realized that I did not show up...yeah right. Me...his favourite patient...He is such a card. lol
anyway...done with dentist, rush over to drug store to use a $10 gift certificate that mom had and she needed a few little things so did that for her...then off to the "blood sucking clinic" had to get cholesterol checked to make sure that my "drugs" were doing the job. Now since I had nothing to eat or drink this morning...having a bit to eat while on the laptop. This multi tasking sure beats having to make another stop for computer.
Tomorrow is lunch with the old highschool gang. The gang is getting larger in number as the months pass. It is fun to reunite with them all again.
Have a good day all
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 pm

It has been raining here for the past 24 hours. We are under a flash flood watch. We needed the rain, but I am not enjoying the mud much. Annie and I got drenched this morning.

CB
Donnie got the camera at Walmart for about a hundred bucks. I don't know if it takes video, but it does everything else that Ellen said. Seeing that fox right where Creampuff was a few minutes earlier didn't thrill us much. Eleven minutes later, Creampuff appeared back in the picture. If I ever get an intenet connection , I will post some of the pix.

Eileen
You have a busy fall planned! Avoiding the worst of winter sounds very good.

TWH
Before my first Arab mare was old enough to ride, I went on a rental horse ride with some friends. The appy I was on did that Lateral movement and left me hanging in the air where the saddle used to be. I felt like Wiley Coyote hanging in the air just before falling off that cliff! Tall horse...hard ground splat.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

ARK wrote: "The appy I was on did that Lateral movement and left me hanging in the air where the saddle used to be. I felt like Wiley Coyote hanging in the air just before falling off that cliff! Tall horse...hard ground splat."

THAT is what happened to me one day when I was out riding my ole Speckled Butt Mare...Gotta give the old gal credit though...she did NOT put any weight on that hoof when she came down and left a hoof print on my shirt pocket. Somehow or the other, I had managed to hold onto her reins. (in retrospect, that might NOT have been the smartest thing to do) After calming her down ... we had a great ride!! I sure miss that gal!! Thanks for the memories!!

Love to all...RICK who has been house bound due to rain all day also.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

I was just thinking of adding one more to the "Gaits". I'm sure one of you can come up with a good name for it. It's the one caused by invisible horse-eating ogres, and where all 4 legs go straight out to their respective corners thus dropping the level of the saddle by about a foot, done in half a heartbeat, leaving the rider in mid-air wondering which direction the saddle was going to come back up.
I had a TB mare who was an expert at that. She didn't do the lateral thing, didn't bolt, but she could leave me sitting on air in an instant, and she never gave any warning.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2012
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next