Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2012

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
silverdancer
cb
Eileen
Carol W
Manygatess
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rick Angell

October 2012 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 am

Well I can't stay hidden forever can I...especially when THIS groups gets after me. Carol has been gone on her last vacation trip before retirement coming up in March, '13.

She left this past Monday and returns a week from today on the third. She and a friend are on a cruise ship around Italy. They "started" in Venice and will end up in Rome before flying home. Why didn't I go ... I don't "do" big cities, and crowds of people ... and I would rather save my resources to use someplace that appeals to me more...like rural UK.

I was given permission to receive daily phone calls, etc. to "remind me" to keepthekitchencleantakeouthetrashdon'tforgethelaundrycheckonMombehaveyourself,etc. I "might" have been better off to have gone anyway!! I am surviving as being Batchelor#1!!

I have been doing a little bit of trucking, but truck has been in the truck hosptal with engine problems. Got it out and made a day trip Thursday and it seemed to be OK. Boss won't have me out (overnight0 until Carol gets home on the 3rd.

That's about it ... here's hoping all is well in YOUR corner of FOOPVILLE. I do check in at least daily to see what's happening.

My love to all, RICK
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 pm

BEECH
Oh good. I am really glad to see you. Don't worry about shipping that delicious pie, just bring it with you and come on down!...:-)
I feel about 90% recovered, just need to keep regaining strength. I mostly feel the lack of it while tipping the loaded wheelbarrow into the manure trailer. I am getting better. I do feel very fortunate to be living in a time that has the ability to cure TTP syndrome. Before plasma exchanges it was 95% fatal. Not much future in those odds.
Your scooter sounds fun! I love its name, LOL. Now just post more and tell us your scooting adventures! Purty please....Yikes! I didn't know Maine had earthquakes. Glad it wasn't destructive.

CB
Sounds like a good idea to have changed your route. Hope you get there today! Your alarm system is pretty effective, LOL. I sure wouldn't steal your car unless I wanted a great dane really bad!

RICK
Glad you posted...I am going to start sending nasty-grams if you don't stop ignoring us....;-)....That Carol sure knows when to go on vacation! She is missing all the fun of Sandy....lucky girl.

SUNNY
How is going?

Our horsey playdate got canceled. It is raining here. The front from the west has arrived a bit earlier than they said it would. Annie says the weather channel says we are going to have a bigger impact from Sandy than they said yesterday. We are in gathering mode to get ready for whatever shows up. Feed and food are done. Now we need to bring in firewood and get gas for the generator. If we are ready, it won't come. I plan to be ready! I hope everyone is ready!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Our news over here is all about the 'superstorm' about to make landfall over with you! Seemingly the hurricame which crossed the Bahamas COULD combine with an East Coast winter storm. So I'm thinking of you all and hoping you stay safe, especially anyone near to that storm - ARK? SUNNY? Not sure where everyone lives...

Over here we had the first Frost of the Autumn this morning, my car was white with it, but for the last month the leaves have been changing to all the wonderful colours - and then falling off!
This is not my favourite season. Sad I like the Spring or Summer much bettter. Smile I feel about leaves like I do about housework - you clean it up and 5 minutes later it looks just like it was before. Wink

After an intensive time doing TREC, Zaristo and I are heading off to a Dressage Show on Monday. As usual after spending time on TREC, with a long low relaxed outline, Z is not entirely happy being asked to 'collect'. He would much rather 'lean' but I remind him that he is only being asked to work for 1 hour in 24, and not nearly every day either and gets his keep for free, that seems to do the trick!
I thought he felt a bit stiff behind last week, and checked his legs. Poor boy has a bit of 'mud fever' (not sure if that's what you call it) - little scabs tucked in the groove under his hind fetlock. I slathered it in cream to soften it up, and need to keep a close eye on it from now on. But it just goes to show how wet this whole year has been. The ground has rarely dried up and gateways remain muddy.
But I'm glad Z is a bit of a prima donna, who will show up the slightest little problem, since at least I caught it early.

ARK - I enjoy reading that you are back in the saddle again with Ivan. What you do sounds very similar to TREC. Next weekend, after the dressage, we are going on a TREC Orienteering competition, only about 12 miles and mostly on quiet country roads, but I really enjoy spending time just riding Zaristo like that. We are pairing with a teenager who hasn't done one before, but is keen to learn, so I'd better sharpen up my map reading skills before then.

CB - good to hear you're nearly there at your new home. Can't imagine what it's like moving all that way, with all your possessions, with all those animals.... Will be good if we can meet up some time in TX.

Take care, all.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 pm

The neighbors who are leaving for Florida tomorrow invited the neighbors to meet at Pie Eyed Petey's for lunch today. That place makes something called Beach Bread. Ohhh my goodness! That stuff is GOOD! It's a horizontal half of a sub bun, covered with mozzerella or provolone with crumbles of blue cheese, and diced tomatoes, then toasted in the oven. The bread is crisp and crusty, the cheese is warm and stringy, and the tomato adds a great flavor! That was our appetizer. Most of us followed that with a bowl of chili and a grilled cheese sandwich. We all brought about half the chili and half the sandwich home.
They had originally planned to make a big detour to New England before heading for Florida, but the storm has changed their plans, and they'll go straight to Florida.
I am sooo blessed to have such a good group of neighbors.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Quick! I have an internet connection thru Donnie's phone and it probably won't last long...... affraid

SILVERDANCER:
Good to see you! You and Zarista probably do much more intense treks than Ivan and I do. The ACTHA rides are only 6 to 7 miles long with six obstacles to accomplish. They are a lot of fun. I'd love to do one of your rides!

NANCYLEE:
Your membership is approved. It took me a few days to get it done because of my internet connection problems. I have to use my iPod at a wifi hotspot, like Wendy's. Tonight is a fluke. Supposedly the guy who will be our next provider is testing the signals on the new tower. One can only keep hoping.

I have pix! You all haven't seen any from me in a long time. If this works, I'll post a couple...

Attachments
October 2012 - Page 6 AttachmentDianeIvanPandapasOct12.jpg
Last week's ride at Pandapas
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(162 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
October 2012 - Page 6 AttachmentDianeIvanLexingtonOct12Actha.jpg
Actha Ride in Lexington, VA mid-October
(157 Kb) Downloaded 8 times
October 2012 - Page 6 AttachmentDianeIvanLexingtonVAOct12Actha.jpg
At Virginia Horse Center
(49 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 am

Nice pictures Ark ......

Sounds pretty good Ellen .... it is nice to have great neighbors.

Good to see you Silverdancer. Sounds like you have been having fun too.

Hope CB lands in Texas pretty soon.....
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Ellen, where in florida do they come to? do they stay all winter,
where you live are you going to get any of the bad weather that is expected, the bad thing about this storm is that it is meeting up with a winter storm comming from the west so it is cold meeting warm air and wham, they are calling this a frankenstorm, that is all we are hearing on the news, hope you are o.k and for anyone else on the east that is in the path of the storm be careful,
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Ark, I love the pictures. It reminds me of some very nice fall rides in my past.

Sunny, my friends go to the Tampa area, and stay until April. They live in one of the "camper" resorts. They have one of the park model 'campers'. There is a pond right behind their place, complete with "pet" alligator.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Clara asked me to post for her that she has arrived safe and sound, they are putting up the last of there dog and horse pens Clara said they are tired butts. Clara will post with details as soon as she can.

Ellen, that is the same as what I live in just I am close to Disney, close enough to see the night time fireworks.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 pm

ARK, you are WAY too funny. All your pics are great and DONNIE is a wonderful sport.
Glad your rides are going well.

Well, today gave me a surprise. One of my best riding buddies quit. She went on a good ride last week. Perfect ride, perfect weather, perfect friends, etc. She got home tired, did her chores, and went in for some wine. Sitting there she said to herself "it's never never going to be better than that" and "I'm done"....................so she made a few calls, sold her horse and trailer in about 2 hrs and sold her good saddles & tack today. She then called and spread the word........We all wanted to know why. She said the obvious......"I want to quit on top of my game." She said she's been on horses for 68 yrs and wants to fish, write, and chill. She's buying a small trailer, taking her fine G. Shepherd and heading to Montana she hopes in the next week. She was looking at trailer lites as she called. She said she wants to be on the go now to see some of the country she hasn't seen.

Well, MORE POWER TO HER.......................I'll miss her out riding but we're all headed there..........and I told her we would all eventually be joining her.

Anyhow...........she's happy.....she's just moving on.................she is 75.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm

CB:
Glad you made it to your new home! Anymore adventures on the way? BTW: what's up with DONNA?

SUNNY:
It is snowing already three counties to the west of us. The hurricane is to the east of us. We are going to get squished between snow and wind and rain. Annie is hoping for lots of snow. Not me. We are as ready as we can get, everything stocked up, put up, shut up, hoping that nothing will blow up. We have stew cooking in the crockpot in case we lose power and can't cook later. The generator will keep the fridge working. They keep changing the forecast on us, so we will just have to wait and see what happens. The wind has already started up, but not bad yet. Hopefully that derecho knocked down all the loose tree branches and such last June. We'll be fine.....I think. If we get 2 feet of snow I am going to blame it on Annie.

GRAYMARE:
Donnie and Daisy are quite a pair of coneheads, aren't they? Laughing
Wow, your friend really put her life in order fast. I hope she enjoys her trip. Is she selling off her place, too, or does she expect to come back?

We spent all day getting things done for the storm. Annie practiced a little with Trinket, who now loves Annie and nickers at her when she sees Annie coming. Awwww, the power of treats..... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:20 am

Hi guys...sitting here waiting for Frankenstorm to arrive. We are ready for whatever she brings. It's windy but not raining yet this morning. The weather guy seems to think it's not going to be as bad as they are predicting but we shall see. All the schools have been canceled for today.

Yesterday we went to Home Depot to get a new freezer for the meat we are getting next week, I was surprised there was hardly anyone there. The cashier told us they have over 400 people on the list to get a generator. OMG...ours is ready to be called into service if needed.

GRAYMARE: I know just how your friend felt..been there and had a much harder time doing it...I drug my feet about selling off my tack and trailer and kept my old boy until he had to cross The Rainbow Bridge...just couldn't bear to part with him. You just know when it's time...go out on a good note...

ARK: So glad to see you are feeling better and are back riding Ivan...Love that photo of you & Ivan riding thru the trees. He is a handsome boy..

CB: YEAH......you FINALLY made it out of ID, for good this time I hope. NO more horrific snow storms for you to deal with when you are all alone. Congrats girl...enjoy your new digs.

Hope everyone stays safe during the storm. I'll check in later...

Love & prayers to all....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 11:22 am

I'm just watching the weather channel...my goodness, this is really a tragedy coming right at us....................prayers for ALL near/in this one.

ARK, my friend sold her place about 2 yrs ago I think it was. Her hubs died about 5-6 yrs ago so she slowly positioned herself to be ready for age 75.....she boarded her horse out and kept her trailer there. She had a good long ride. I talked to her last evening for a bit.........she bought a 16 ft lite camping trailer, she was all hooked up and packing to leave this A M. We have a friend whose daughter lives in Bozeman, so she is going to "camp" on her ranch, and, daughter and her family are coming here for T giving.............this is her trial get used to her rig trip. She is keeping her small home for now and is trailer bumming while she can.

TRUDY, her horse is/was only 9 so he needed to get sold well. He is a great riding horse, easy to take anywhere and point and shoot..........interestingly he now will live about 2-3 mi from Atticus. Ha, the horse world is small. In our group it's easy to sell a sound reliable go anywhere horse.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Graymare, it's a rather sad time when people give up something they've always loved, but we also understand it is the best thing. She was able to make the choice on her own terms.
I hope she has a great time with her new camper.

Hoooo, boy! Am I full. The neighbors down the street invited me to their house for a fish fry, bake potato, garlic bread, and apple tart. Sooo good. Ate too much!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:31 pm

GRAYMARE:
I hope your friend has fun with her travels. She certainly sounds like an independent lady.

ELLEN:
Yum! Sounds like a great dinner.... Drool.....Are you getting any weather off the hurricane?

TRUDY:
How is it going? You must be getting some winds and rain by now. The wind is blowing pretty strongly here, although nothing like what it is like further east. We are having rain and light snow showers, too. We are at 2000 feet elevation and they are not predicting too much snow for us. Those at 2500 feet elevation may get 2 feet of snow! affraid No problems for us so far.

Our horses are doing fine. They are all parked in the barn out of the wind. It is more like a winter storm than a hurricane for us.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

We are just getting wind. Not damaging wind, just wind. It's been blowing for 4 days. I was wondering what you were getting, Ark.

Beech, are you getting any of it yet?
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 6:25 am

Just checking in. It's too dark to see any damage but we only lost power once and for a short time. The wind was terrible but I think we escaped the worst of the storm. Not too much rain, maybe 4" instead of the 8" they were talking about. Gotta wait until daylight to assess any real damage. The wind is still howling out there...

Prayers for everyone...
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, we did not disgrace ourselves at the dressage competition yesterday and placed 3rd in our class. Maybe could have done a little bit better but I (not Zaristo) ran out of steam for the last few movements - obviously I need to cut down on eating chocolate and work on getting fitter. But we got a little prize for placing, guess what? A 2lb tin of chocolates. Shocked I was VERY strong about that and gave it away to a friend with small children at home, as a treat. Then I stopped and bought some chocolate on my way home. pig Very Happy
Of course now I'm feeling guilty Zaristo will have to carry me Orienteering next weekend. I am definitely starting eating healthy tomorrow.

ARK - that is a lovely picture of you and Ivan going through the woods - is that what the countryside looks like around you? Looks lovely to ride round there. Although we have lots of nice places to ride over here, often we have to request permission from the landowner. And some potentially great riding areas, like beaches, forestry, canal banks, are becoming increasing 'off limits' or 'restricted' due to worries about members of the public on foot getting involved in accidents.
And would you believe, if we go on the beaches, we have to back track afterwards on foot, and pick up any droppings!!! (sure Wink )

GRAYMARE - I like the idea of what your friend is planning to do. As they say, we've only one life and she sounds like she is going to enjoy it all.

Hope everyone is staying inside and safe, with all the news we've been hearing about that storm over with you.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 pm

We got some pretty strong winds during the night, and they've steady about 30-40mph all day. It was interesting in that the direction was just right to nicely pile all the leaves against my garage door and in a little area between the house and garage. Usually, I move them to the curb to burn, but since nature was so nice as to pile them all up, I'll bag them up for trash pickup next week.
The lower yard is completely clear of leaves because the wind was so strong it blew it clean.
Very interesting.
While we've had strong winds, so far, there hasn't been any damage around here and we haven't lost power.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm

how are you doing Ark? I hope you have power and not much snow we have been hearing that the west end of Virginia have blizzard warnings and are expecting 2feet of snow, here we are getting verry cold air from Sandy it is pushing it our way northern florida is expecting to get temps in the 30's we are going to be in the 40's tonight, I love it but Kent does not, he wants the windows closed and I don't, so he has a heater in his room and runs it with his door closed so I can enjoy the cool air and sleep like a baby for the first time since last year at this time, I could probably live in Alaska comfortably my bones might creak but at least I won't be sweaty lol!

for anyone else in the path of the storm I hope that it is not bad and you are all safe and sound, I pray for all those affected by the storm
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm

SUNNY:
For whatever reason, we haven't gotten any snow, just spits. We are surrounded by areas with snow and they keep predicting we will get some, but not so far. Lots of wind, though, and very cold temps. We had a windchill of 23 degrees today, making it fun to put up the 200 bales of hay that got delivered. Nice hay. We are one county away from WV where they got up to 2 feet of snow in some areas. Elevation seemed to determine who got snow. We are a bit lower at 2000 feet and didn't get any. The skiing resorts are happy, they are opening earlier than ever before....The damage on the east coast sounds really terrible. Power outages at the start of winter is not good.

ELLEN:
Congrats on the leaves! I forgot to look on the west side of our house where all the Catawba tree leaves are in our yard. I'll look and see if ours blew away. That would be handy. I usually mow them to death, but have managed to wind a cord up in the blades the last time I mowed. No mowing until that gets fixed.

SILVERDANCER:
I wish that photo was taken on our property, but it wasn't. It was taken at Pandapas Pond Park about 20 miles from here. It's part of the Jefferson National Forest and is a free to use park with lots of trails that are shared by hikers, bikers and horses. It is fairly close to Virginia Tech, so gets lots of use. Fortunately, folks seem to share the trails pretty well there. The photo was taken about 10 days ago and the leaves were very pretty then. I suspect they are gone after all the wind this week. I meet up with friends there occasionally to ride.....I could really get into beach rides like you described.
Congrats on your 3rd place ribbon and the chocolate!

RICK, ROSE, PAM L, BEECH:
How did you do in the storm?

Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 am

Hooray, the power’s back on!! Sandy came and went here almost precisely as forecast: the worst winds and rain between 5 and 9 last night, with both tapering off after midnight, and today calm and quiet once again, though a little drizzly. Our area is heavily wooded, so what was most memorable about the storm for us (in addition to the heavy, steady downpours) was the roaring of the wind in the treetops. Still, because I didn’t see any tree limbs flying around, I guessed, early on, that we wouldn’t lose power. Ha! I was frying up a hamburger at 7:30 p.m. when bingo! all went black and silent -- except for that roaring. This morning, with the wind gone, that noise was replaced by the roaring of generators. Everybody all up and down my road, it seems, has one, each one ringing out at a different pitch. I got along fine making do with water I’d drawn in advance – but I was nevertheless elated to hear the big freezer hum back into action this afternoon. That freezer is full of blueberries and strawberries and tomatoes and peppers and squash and beans and beets and corn and home-grown beef and pork, and… oh, 20-plus pounds of Old Gray Beaver Bog cranberries just salted away there last week… I’m beginning to see the appeal of generators…

ARK I was guessing, from the weathermen’s maps, that you must be under two feet of snow by now. I’m glad you’re not! Now, with no TV or radio for almost a day, I’ve only just learned what’s been happening elsewhere. Grim. We were very lucky here.

I love your pics! Especially that one of you on Ivan among the fall leaves. Brings back memories for me, too.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

Ark ... love your little trick or treaters at the top of the page. LOLOL

Hope all our folks are OK and have power!!!! Prayers for all those devastated by the storm. How horrible to look at dealing with the aftermath of it all.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 12:42 pm

BEECH, sure am glad you posted....where I lived in RI was the same way......severe winds and rain, their power is still out, but no severe destruction.

Gads, big prayers for those in the painful destruction throughout NE........
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:37 pm

This little girl is too sweet................and she's right. We're all tired............

ews.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-romney-little-girl-cry-145605083--election.html
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2012
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next