Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2013

Go down 
+10
Beech
silverdancer
cb
Indyapp
Rick Angell
Ellen E
Graymare
Manygatess
Appy
Ark
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
sunny 57

January 2013 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

well, the scooter I was going to get has changed, now I am going to get the big boy of scooters, it holds more weight, has bigger tires, even has shocks for a smoother ride and will be able to go on gravel and dirt and grass with no problem, the only drawback is that it is not light enough to put in the truck, but they made me a great deal on a carrier that goes into the trailer hitch and is lightweight enough fo me to be able to install, they are letting me take it after I give them another payment and carry the balance for two months so I can afford it, the total price is only 250 dollars more than what I was paying for the smaller one and it will last much longer, when I went to make my payment earlier I had questions about my scooter and they realized that I needed something different than what I originaly chose, Kent went with me and he asked questions of concerns he had and they told Kent that they would rather not sell me one that was not right for me and that I would end up not being happy with, Kent was impressed with them and the fact that they wanted to make sure that the scooter that I got met my needs,it will travel with us better and I can go much farther, it goes 29 miles on a full charge which is much better than the original one,and the trailer it sits on has extra space for us to put other stuff for traveling,I am even more excited now than ever and I will still be able to get it by the first, just 10 days and counting, LOOK OUT WORLD HERE I COME cheers :dance:
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Sunny, are you going to be able to still get a small camper with this scooter arrangement? so you have a place to sleep while traveling?

Trudy and Beech, stay warm! Idaho has been having deep freeze temps also for some time now, below 0 at night and very low for day time highs...glad I am here! It was 70 yesterday here.....just beautiful!

Spose to be nice for the next 8 days here, and above freezing at night too..can't beat that.

Maximus seems fine, I can feel the muscle still, but can't see it anymore...so its going down. Have had him on bute to help a bit.

Bailey, my lilest cowgirl, had her birthday party yesterday at the bowling alley. She was doing fine, I don't even think she was sore, she was dancin around with the other kids and having fun. Kids sure are resillient.

All the doggettes got their runs this morning whilst we were cleaning the doggy yards...they love it....they fly around and they sure are getting smart..they avoid those nasty cacti! We always check them when we put them in their kennel yards...but today we didn't find any lil spines at all...they are learning the driveways/roads are safer to rip and tear on! We have several driveways on the property that runs the length and width of the ten acres...so they using their pea size brains and staying away from owie things! LOL

Now we are kicked back after having breakfast and watching tv...have to get up here soon and get something done!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm

yes, all we have to do is put a hitch on the back of trailer and go, it does not stick out far and when not in use folds up tight against the tailgate of the truck,kind of like a bike rack plus we have a year to make any changes if needed,we can go back to Moab Utah and I can enjoy the trails it gives us something to dream and plan for, so I am finaly becoming a happy camper,instead of a glumy gus
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm

bout dang time! LOL Rolling Eyes Razz Razz go girl go! Plan and dream....
I dream of living in a mansion with lots of maids! Drool
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

CB, Ninja is not doing well. She had a second heart attack a few weeks ago, and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. The doctors told her that her time is limited. She still gets out enough to go to church on the weekends, but not much else. Back in December, she had to make a horrible decision to put down her three horses because she could no longer take care of them.
Phyllis could definitely use our prayers.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 pm

That doesn't sound like its good news....am sorry to hear that.

Were her horses old that she made that decision? That had to be tough.
Thanks for keeping us updated...altho it didn't make my morning to hear.

This week will be nice! Sunny and in 60's and 70's and above freezing in high 30's and 40's...I can live with that.

Hope all those having snow and cold climb out of it soon.

Well, not much planned today....may just be a slug....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 pm

I believe that two of her horses were old, one was about 10 or so. There was no place for them to go, so she had to make the horrid decision to send them over the rainbow bridge.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, I for one think NINJA made the right decision. I'm sorry that she had to make such a difficult decision and will keep her in my prayers.

I would much rather see even a relatively young horse humanely euthanized than have it sent to auction and most likely a kill buyer. If you have knowledgeable family members to help you out or to arrange for a sale to a good home fine, but as in my case, my family members have no clue on the care or upkeep of horses and no interest. No earthly idea how to go about finding a good home for them. They would in all innocence think that sending the horses to the local auction would be the right way to sell them. WRONG! I have in my will instructions for my horses to be humanely put down by a licensed vet and buried on the property so that they will not end up at an auction. It sounds harsh but I don't want any chance of my horses ending up in a kill pen.

CCCold here today. When I went out to feed this morning the water tank was frozen over. Uh oh. Why isn't the water tank heater working? Darn thing went kerphlooey last night on the coldest night of the winter season so far. That's the second thing to break down this week. First the washing machine, now the water tank heater. What next? I was at the farm store at 8:03 a.m. right after they opened and I wasn't even the first person in the door. Bought a new tank heater on the way into work then dropped it off at Bill's. He will go out to my place a little later and rebreak open the tank and plug it in. (And hopefully prepare dinner so it will be ready when I get home. I can dream can't I?)

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm

I know times change, but as a child I would have loved a horse, just about any horse...but could not afford to buy one. We had enuf land to feed one just fine, but the initial out put for one wasn't in the budget. I would rather give my horses to hopefully a good home, to family who would love them...you never know at any time if the home will remain good or not...but I think it would be worth it to try than to end a healthy horses' life. If the horse had chronic problems then that is something different, I wouldn't want to give a problem to someone else...or have to worry if they would have the means to care for problems I know of already. But it was her decision and its made.
I know in our saddle club and 4H clubs kids would love to have a horse of their own. Our 4H kids did horseless projects or if they were lucky could borrow or lease a horse for them to use...but there is something about having your own horse to love and get attached to...not to hurt when you have to give it back when the year is over.
Not every horse that goes thru auctions ends up slaughtered...yes the slaughter buyers do take some good horses, but I've also seen them back off on bidding if its a good kid horse or young and good shape and sound to the eye and let other folks buy it. They buy the old, the lame, the loose horses that no one knows the history of and ending those lives quickly maybe not as humanely, is better than them starving to death turned loose to fend by theirselves. I personaly would like my horses to go to some kid/family who really wants a good horse for free. Just becuz they don't spend money on it, doesn't mean they won't give it a good home. I've taken a lot of free horses and found homes for them...or ended up keeping them myself. No, you don't know even if someone pays a lot of cash for a horse if it will be cared for or not...ya just don't know. There are people in all walks of life that just do not care, but then again there are people in all walks of life that really do care and do the best they can. Some folks will say if I cant get my price out of my horses, I'll just put them down...I'm sure we've all heard that one. I've paid some really good prices for horses, and if they weren't right for me, give them away or sell them so cheaply that they could be afforded to mostly young girls who really wanted a horse...and hope it to be a good situation. We can do our best to try for a good ending...for all concerned.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

CB, I don't know anything about Phyllis' horses. She gave up food for herself so that her dogs and horses would eat. Like you, I would definitely try to find a good home for any horse. As much as Phyllis loved them, I have no doubt at all that she exhausted every other possibility before making that awful decision.
Her life has been pretty tough for the last several years, including a near foreclosure, heart problems, leg problems, money problems...... The people in her church have helped her out quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Right now things are fine in my horse world, but God forbid, if anything happens to me, I have Faith willed to two people, one, then the other, if need be. If they predecease me, Faith will be euthanized via vet. I agree with INDY. For me, I would be thrashing in my grave if she was ever mistreated in any way. Therefore,
in order for me to RIP, I would have to know Faith is O K. And, for now, I'm at peace with my decisions.

In the same situation as NINJ, I would have had to do the same thing. It tore my heart out to read it.

These are all very depressing things to think about. I think I'll go feed and just pat my horse and hang for a bit.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 am

CB I don't disagree with you. I will most definitely try to find good homes for my horses if that becomes necessary before having them euthanized. But I know how to do that. But if something suddenly happened to me and my family had to do it, they would have no clue. I don't have any immediate family, my cousin is my closest relative and while she has agreed to be my executrix, and I hers, I need to have specific instructions in place.

Now on a much happier note, I'm considering taking Tiberius to a 3 day colt starting clinic in April. The clinician is Bryan Neubert. I rode in one of his clinics probably 10 years ago and got so much out of it. He's also going to be doing a horsemanship clinic that I'm going to get more details on and maybe take Monster. Monster isn't the bravest horse in the world and maybe something like this will help us both out. Monster's first response is to turn and run first and ask questions later. I would like him to at least ask "What's that?" before he takes off.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Indy, I guess that would be hard to have relatives that havn't a clue what to do with horses left behind. I am fortunate to have my girls and hubby, one of them will find them good homes or do what needs to be done as i have two older horses right now, 17 and 19...according to the dental school who did their teeth. I don't think any of us think about what will happen when we are gone unless we are put in that position...and know ahead of time. Hard decisions for anyone to make. I feel for anyone who has to make them.

It rained here in the night and is still raining....maybe we will have better hay prices here, one can hope!

I hurt my foot the other night...and this will give y'all a laugh! I had talked about snakes in a conversation on another horsey site, and that night my puppy who sleeps with me, had a dream and his tail started going against my leg in what I think about a rattlers' tail going....and I was half asleep half groggy awake...and I thought OMG I have a snake in bed with me....well I bailed! But I moved so fast that I forgot we have a plastic stool for the dogs to get up to the bed and off...and I hit that stool doing 90 with my left foot,...I'm thinking I may have broken the bone across the foot...even my leg and knee hurt...UGH..see doc tomorrow...quite painful. Only I could break a bone in bed! Sad Shocked
Back to top Go down
TallyPam

TallyPam

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm

CB...I hate to laugh at your pain but I sure was laughing when I read about the rattlesnake.....I sure hope nothing is broken and that you'll be mended soon.

So sorry to hear about Ninja. I know when Corinne got sick she had to find homes for her old girls. Fortunately, it worked out well. I can't imagine having to make that decision.

We've had some beautiful weather here this winter. Kinda chilly a few days but nice during the day. Wish we had a big foop camping spot where we could all winter in Florida ...complete with horse and furry friend facilities. Wouldn't that be a hoot!!! But then we need one somewhere to go in the summertime so us southerners can get away from the heat......

Y'all have a great evening! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

TP that would be so great to have a big camping spot for winter! I'd jump on that band wagon for sure! I have lots of room for campers, just no hook ups...but anyone is welcome to come winter here with us! Give us a couple of years to get this place up and running and then we still hope to be able to travel a bit! visiting foops here and there and riding new trails...we want to do that at least one season...always has been a dream of ours.

Foot is doing better, I can't bend all of my toes tho....and when I try to stand flat, two toes stand up....i can't get them to go flat! ahhhh well....time will heal.

Beautiful weather here and will be for next 8 days...woohoo...
Idaho is in a deep freeze funk up there....glad I am here! Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 pm

CB, as long as you can get into your boots you're good to go!!! WoooooHooooo.
Anyhow, glad you're better.

TP, CB & I are in winter camp. It's summer that I have to leave for. We finally got that figured out so we figure we have another 5 yrs or more of good fun in the mtns.

We still don't have any lottery winners with the big riding camp yet. Hmmmmm.
Just waiting...................... Shocked Shocked Shocked shrug

Everyone have a great day. God bless.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Indy, have fun at your clinic and take pics! We wanna see too! and hear how it went!

Graymare, you may be right about heat of summer....we have lots of work to do so we'll have to tough it out at least this summer and stay and get things done if we have to get up before daybreak we will....take a siesta in the afternoons....ahhhhh....

Today will be 77....tshirt here I come,....oh and of course my capris have to be on my butt....going to the base for hubbys' doc appt...gotta wear clothes for that I guess.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 pm

INDY, you will love Bryan. AND, if Jim & Luke are there even BETTER.
You won't regret going. Gitt r done!
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Indy - my horse is 16 now and sometime I would also like him to just wait and ask 'What's that?' before spooking!
He doesn't do it too often, got better over the years, but the half of him that is thoroughbred, is FAST when he jumps sideways, or turns. Last time he did it, I could feel a pulled muscle inside my leg, from my gripping on for dear life! Think we need some of your clinics over here.

CB - could do with some of your warm weather over here. T-shirts? What's that? Can't remember. Very Happy
How's that knee... and the foot...and the toes? Gee, you'll be paying to support the doc in that mansion you were dreaming about. LOL

I had a lovely weekend just gone because my son (Texas one) and his girlfriend came to Ireland for a short visit (to see his Dad actually) so they stayed with me. And my other son (Dublin) and his wife visited and then we ate here at home one night and went out for a meal together another night. It's actually 4 years since we were all together, at Dublin son's wedding. The two boys (they'll always be boys to me) got on really well as kids, and are still very close so I enjoyed seeing them together and happy and it was all just so good that we were able to enjoy all that. :dance: hug
Sorry, I got carried away there!
But goodness knows when we will all be together again, so it was a really good time. ClappingHands

Of course, it rained a lot of the weekend but that didn't dampen any spirits. The rain stopped enough that we got around some.
And then we got SNOW! Yes! Just a little covering when we woke up on Monday morning, before heading to the airport. Enough so that Dublin traffic slowed to a crawl - we're not that used to it. What a Face
No problem, though, trans-Atlantic flights were leaving fine, most of the snow landed in the UK.

Now I'm back to normal this week, but I'm left with one big bonus - I did a really big house clean and tidy before they came... so that'll last a while. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Silverdancer, ages ago, I had a TB mare. Like yours, she never bothered to ask 'what's that'. Her favorite method of inducing heart stoppage was to suddenly drop straight down, each of the 4 legs going in opposite directions leaving me on about a foot of air. She always did this was absolutely NO warning, not even an ear twitch. I was never sure which way she was coming up. Somehow, I never went off, which is a surprise because I wasn't that good. One time, she did that and I came within an inch of biting the dust. I was so badly out of position it rattled her, and she never did it again. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 am

Well, I wish I could say the same about not coming off when Monster has decided the best course of action is to beat it the %$#@ out of there. I also blame it on his one half thoroughbredness. Then after the initial panic his appaloosa half kicks in and he circles back and says, I'm sorry Mom, you ok?
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 am

ark..oh aaAARRRKKKK...would you kindly close the gate behind you...Its cold here and just beginning to "do something". I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part about leaving that gate open...maybe IVAN or DAISY would be able to close it for us??

Carol continues to get better and better from her foot/toe surgery last Friday. She has foregone her middle of the night meds for last couple nights and says her overall pain/discomfort is in the 2 - 3 category. She is working diligently on a sewing project...sits for a long time at DR table with her foot propped up on overturned laundry basket...and does her pinning from recliner.

I have been trying very hard to spoil her!! Have managed to put some hot (VERY SIMPLE) meals on table..keep dishes rinsed/washed...laundry..etc. NO, I DO NOT wear a tutu NOR do I wear a dainty apron!! So..we are surviving...she is getting grouchier and grouchier towards me and that tells me she is getting better. Smile Laughing I am grateful for that!!

Take care and stay warm wherever you are!!

Love to all...Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Rick, what did Carol have done? I'm sure you can be a good cook and chief bottle washer when ya have to be! Glad she is healing.

Beatiful weather here....I am not complaining! The kids said in Idaho they had some crappy cold with ice on the roads that shut down the interstate ....said my old east bound ramp was full of trucks and cars not going anywhere....glad I'm here! They have had really sub zero weather lately there....ugh...so really glad I'm here.....

Have I said lately that I'm really glad I"m here...? tongue tongue wavy
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

CB...she had a "hammer toe" condition corrected on toe next to big toe. When she is completely well, the middle joint will be straight and rigid. For the next several weeks, she has a metal pin sticking out the end of her toe. Metal wire as a "healthy" sized paperclip. She can put weight on her foot using HEEL ONLY. She keeps it propped up high all the time and was on ice for first couple/three days. On a "10" scale...her pain/discomfort is in the "2" range.

Thanks for asking...and yes..that SNOOP is on vacation somewhere that's warm and sunny!!

Love to all...Rick
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Rick
I am ready to pack up and move in with TallyPam. I am sooooo tired of cold weather. The temps have been in the 20s or less all week and it is snowing heavily as I type this. I can keep the barn cleaned, but manure on the ground in the barnlot and arena are frozen and stuck. Whenever it does thaw out,I will have more crapola to pick up than I want to think about. Yuck.

I am glad Carol's foot is feeling a bit better. What is she making with her sewing?

Ellen
I am so sorry to hear about Ninja. I hope you will pass along our best wishes for her recovery...I can certainly understand why she had to put her horses down. That alone must have nearly killed her. ((((((((Phyllis))))))

SilverDancer
Traffic is creeping here in this Dublin today, too. The roads are covered in snow and the snowplows are out on the interstate. We won't see them out here in the sticks for at least a few hours today. Unfortunately, Donnie is at work 16 miles away in Blacksburg and will have to drive home with the roads in bad shape.
Doesn't it snow much in Ireland?

Sunny
How many more days??

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm

ARK...She is making "locker bags" approx 9-10 inches wide by 30 inches long with shoe laces for ties. The flat panel has 8 small pockets between 3 & 5 inches wide and about 4-5 inches deep. The bags are tied inside your locker to provide additional storage space. She made the first one for herself many, many years ago and this has developed into quite a little home industry. There is a nurse that used to work with Carol...and is now in Hickory...says she can "easily sell" a 100 of these bags in a new unit in the hospital there. So...this has been keeping Carol quite busy...all the cutting...pinning...sewing!! I'll try to send you a pic via you email and you can post it here. I've yet to figure how this photo site works.

Later, Foops,

Rick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2013   January 2013 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2013
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next