Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

July 2013 !!

Go down 
+6
sunny 57
Indyapp
Graymare
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:59 pm

July 2013

Can you believe it?

July 2013 !! Threearabendurancehorse
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 am

Alrighty then. Welcome to July!

I think Ivan and I have recovered from our weekend activities. He is back to his regular peppy self. I have a few sore places to recover from, but that will only take another day or two.

My sister, Annie, who is staying with us this summer, tripped over Kumquat the cat, fell on the floor and has a small fracture in her wrist. Tomorrow we go to an orthopedic doctor to see if she needs a cast or just the brace she has now. So I have lost the use of my favorite barn slave for awhile.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 am

(((ANNIE)))

Love to all...Rick and SNOOP!!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Awww. I'm sorry about Annie. I hope she can just use the brace. That will make life a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 5:19 pm

ANNIE. PHOOEY. GET WELL SOON! I love you  I love you 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks, I will let her know you wished her well!
Yep, it has a fracture on the end of her radius, so she now sports a pretty blue cast for the next 5 weeks. No barn slave work for her! Darn it.

Rainy day here.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Owwweee... Poor Annie. I don't know ARK, casts are pretty sturdy, give her a day or two to get used to it and perhaps she'll be able to balance a muck rake with her fingers??? What is the going rate for barn slaves anyway? I have a neighbor kid who would like to do some odd jobs for some spending money. His dad is out of work and he's looking for something to earn some money since it's tight for mom and dad right now. I told him I would have to speak to his mom or dad first to make sure it was alright with them first then I thought he could pull weeds and cut back the brush that is starting to take over my fence line. It's not heavy work, but it is tedious and hot. (which is why I haven't gotten it done.) But I have no idea what would be a fair price would be. Any ideas? He's about 12 or 13. I don't think the $1 / hour I was paid as a kid would go over very well.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Indy, maybe you can think of a fair price you'd be willing to pay for the job, rather than by the hour.  Depending on how long the fence line is, maybe $15 or $20.
I admire a kid who is willing to work to help out his family. That's a good kid, with parents who are teaching him well.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm

I hope Annie heals quickly and can get back to being your barn slave lol!  it is so hard to find good help theese days lol! Indyapp when I get my grandkids over to help me, the going rate is $5.00 a hour or pay him by the job, for weed pulling I pay my kids 20 to 25 dollars depending on how much weeds there are to pull, plus I give them all the drinks they want , but that is just me, I don't know how much everybody else pays, I hope that helps some,

times are getting hard out west for several of my friends that have horses one, who lives in New Mexico is having to give away half of her herd which I think at last count she has 30 horses, she also had a trail riding business going with lessons also, it was a heartbreaking decission but one she is forced to do, so far she can't even give them away as everyone else around is also having trouble, they have had no measurable rain for a long time and there is very little hay available and when it is it is verry expensive like 400 dollars a ton and poor quality, pray that she can find good homes for them she said that if she could not find homes she might be forced to put them down as she will not let them suffer, horses are not even selling at auctions, and I have another friend in Idaho who has had to sell off her herd of cows that she has raised for quite some time, she is devistated, but again has no choice Idaho has lots of hay but the price is outrageous, I feel so bad for them, I hope that this is not a sign of the times to come please send prayers there way,
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry Annie has a cast .... But, glad it wasn't worse. She can still go along to the barn and enjoy being out there and spending time. Bet she will find some things she can do ....

Sorry about all the folks who are having to give up their animals because of hay situation .... It is serious ..... and the people who have the hay are starting to price gouge ...... not a nice thing.

Love the picture Ark.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 6:10 pm

B O R E D!!! I'm walking further each day...........ha, today, mailbox & back, about 150ft I think.
The Dr. doesn't want me walking too far yet. He just wants me straight and no bending. LOL, O K, easy enough. I don't need a walker for just that.

Fortunately, there's nothing to doing it other than getting my butt in gear and doing it. I will have physical therapy after my first surg. check up, or I will go to the library and get a book with instructions.

SUNNY, you could go to the library and find an instruction book for your therapy. Also, how is Ken? We're all praying for him to start getting better.

Dear God SUNNY. That's horrible for your friend. I pray she finds good homes for her horses and your other friend trying to get rid of her cattle.
Hay is a huge cost and problem everywhere.

ANNIE. get one of those small extendable itchers at Walgreens. Get all movie stars you meet to sign the cast. What a pain, hope you heal fast!

No news here. Ha, mostly counting the flies on the window tryng to come in. Daytime TV sucks.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm

GRAYMARE:
You must be getting well, you are already bored!Laughing  Find a long series of books, like Dick Francis or some such....Or take up knitting!Very Happy 

INDYAPP:
I never know what to pay kids, but suspect I pay a little too much. Minimum wage seems a lot for a kid, but that is what they want here. So I do most of the dirty work myself...tongue 

CAROL:
How are you feeling now? Over your recent problem yet? Have you been able to ride any yet?

SUNNY:
I don't know what I'd do if I was in that hay situation. I suspect I'd put my horses down rather than let them go to uncertain circumstances.....It is a very sad situation that the hay shortages happen when there is such widespread money problems.

Annie says thanks for the good wishes! She is getting along with her cast better than she did with the week in the brace. She can't move the wrist as much and it isn't hurting.

You would not believe the rain we have had. The streets in the town Donnie works are flooded and it is still coming down in sheets. He is stuck waiting on the streets to clear a bit. It is going to be a tropical forest here if this keeps up. I got the barn done this morning during a lull, but it rained fiercely during the afternoon. The horses are all snug in the barn...making a mess.Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Greymare it sounds like you are doing great,just don't try to over do it, I have a local therapist around the corner from us and they are getting papers together to try to help me she realy cares about people and wants to help by giving me a couple of free therapy sessions but the company she works for won't let her, her only concern is that it has been to long since surgery and it may not help but she is going to give it a try with the program she puts together for me, I am grateful to her for trying, not many others would do the same,

thank you for asking about Kent the news is not looking good it has been over two months with little to no bone healing, they are giving it until the 27th of july to show some healing, if not they will have to decide on a total hip replacement, Kent is frustrated as he still can't put weight on that leg without bad pain,it keeps him stuck at home and we are getting on each others nerves, I know it is his frustration but it is still hard to deal with, we are best friends and have been for 12 years we help each other out but there is nothing I can do to help him through this except be here for him,
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:34 am

Happy 237th Birthday, USA!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 pm

I hope everyone had a great Fourth! We didn't do our usual parade, we went to see "the Lone Ranger". Talk about a hoot! We really liked it. It has enough of the old stuff to relate to while providing lots of new stuff and some comedy relief. Silver stole the show! rear 

We are still getting rain. The ground is saturated and if we get any wind, there will be a lot of trees to come down. If the rain holds off a little, Ivan and I are supposed to have a lesson in our soggy arena.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Knock knock..................who's there?

Nobody. Hello? Post something.

It's hot and dull here. On the 4th we ate a lot. I can't do much right now so am going stir crazy. I walk on my treadmill for 2 min. (3 X a day) at the slowest speed. That doesn't sound like much but wears me out. I will push harder after my surge check up. I can tell many good things so far, the most important is no numbness or tingling. I have one hell of a backache standing straight up (which is surgical interference) and is improving slightly each day. I just have to bide my time and follow instructions. I have to split my time between sitting and being flat. My incision is perfect with no probs at all. AND, I have no trouble with my jaws and chewing. So far, orange creamsicle ice cream is the hit of the day.........and sometimes twice a day.

I read voraciously, listen to talk radio, work on photography, etc so I do keep my mind busy..............LOL, what mind?

Later gators.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 5:29 pm

It's been a fairly busy weekend.  A younger cousin and his family came up on Thursday with their boat.  The boat has been kept busy too.  I've cooked things they like.  The first night we got a campfire going and had hotdogs and s'mores.  Their daughter went to camp and came home with a new and much improved recipe for s'mores. Get a package of Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies. Toast a marshmallow, and place between two cookies. The cookies are much better than graham crackers, to my way of thinking. And putting them together is a lot easier too.
Dad had to day #1 son back home to a baseball tournament game yesterday afternoon.  They had played Wednesday evening and won, so they had to play again.  One wouldn't really like to lose, but they were sort of hoping the other team would be better so the season could be over.  They won again last evening, so that meant they had to play again this morning, but it got rained out.  So, back here to the lake to finish the weekend.

Their boat is a little bit small for their whole family and me while pulling the tube or skis, so I stayed here to make homemade ice cream.  We'll go into town for the ski show this evening and eat some pizza while we're there.

We know there are going to be some big fireworks here on the lake later this evening. This will be the third night in a row. I have to be honest, I'm actually getting a little tired of them.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 6:21 pm

cheers cheers cheers  so glad that things are comming along well and the numbness and tingling is gone and you are gaining strength I know how that feels and I am so happy for you, but be patient and don't try to do too much to soon, you need time for everything to heal,
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Helloooooo GRAYMARE!
There has been somewhat of an echo in here with everyone out doing holiday stuff. Hopefully they will check in and tell us what they've been up to this weekend. I am sure glad you are getting better! Good thing you are a nurse and know when to take it slow!Very Happy  When I was sick last year, I didn't touch my horses for a month. I got so tired of not being able to do what I wanted.

ELLEN:
Your family always has fun on the lake! Pix? Do you know I have never had s'mores? Annie couldn't believe that and bought some kind of s'mores kit last week when we attended a hotdog cookout at the Actha ride. Just when we were going to make them, I got the phone call telling me that Ivan was taking the stall door apart and I had to leave the campfire....and never got those s'mores. Luckily I took my hotdog with me or I wouldn't have gotten that either.Rolling Eyes 

SUNNY:
I am sorry to hear that Kent hasn't healed up like it was hoped. I guess it takes longer for diabetics to heal, doesn't it? Maybe that is what is going on with him. (((((Kent)))))

I rode Ivan yesterday and got him used to the new step stool I bought to mount on the trail. I like the stool, but it needs a few improvements in its carrying sack. Ivan didn't much care for at first, but got over it pretty quick. I am now set up for those irritating railroad trestles! It is 10 inches tall, just enough. The carrying sack is too lightweight and doesn't have a loop to attach it to the saddle, so I am going to have to make a new one that is tougher and can have a latch to hook it on the saddle.

My riding lesson with Lori got canceled due to the rain, she'll be back next week....if the rain slows down. The arena drained pretty fast, so it was fine yesterday afternoon when I rode Ivan.

Annie is getting used to her new cast. It keeps her from moving that wrist and it doesn't hurt her as much.

We finally got our yard mowed this afternoon. It could be baled. Donnie has been out pulling up horse nettles in our upper pasture for the past few days. He is determined to make good hay this year. Our tractor is still in the shop, it has a problem with the PTO gearbox. It should be back in a couple of days. Donnie misses it, Laughing .

With Annie out of commission and Donnie busy doing pasture chores, I have been doing almost all the barn work. At least the mud was better today! We only got a little rain this morning. Our yearly rain total has already been exceeded and the rain keeps coming. Lots of roads are washed out and the creeks keep rising.

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Ark, Clara asked me to ask you if you could help her get back on this forum, she is using her new tablet and all the stuffwas transferd to the new one but when she tries to log on it keeps telling her that the I.D. and or password is invalid, she has never changed it but it won't recognise it, her e-mail is still the same if you could e-mail her or call her to help she would appreciate it greatly she misses you all and wants to catch you up onall her adventures
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 pm

SUNNY, have your back & legs returned to normal? Do you do swimming exercises?
I can't swim yet but am hoping I can after my check up. I will water exercise like mad when I'm allowed to. The treadmill taxes me about the last 30 seconds but I make it. LOL, then I'm down for awhile, but the Dr said I would be. Oh, I forgot, I bought my treadmill at a garage sale so it is/was a great investment ($40 Walmart brand). Or, does your club house have one? My dr says to do anything I can right now.....no bending, twisting, lifting, of course, I added cooking, dusting or vacuuming. Too bad Faith isn't home, I could brush her sides and back and face.

I'm thinking total healing will take me 3-4 mos. The closest store is about 1 1/2 mi from here and I will start walking there when I'm allowed to. LOL, of course, I will only be able to carry a loaf of bread and a candy bar. Maybe I can ride my bike but haven't even asked yet.

Faith comes home end of Sept................almost 3 mos. I might not be my strongest, but I'll be ready. I love you  And, ask ARK. Wanna get strong again, clean a barn every day. That keeps her in shape for her rides.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 12:33 am

GRAYMARE:
Boy, that's the truth. Laughing  Everyone needs a barn to clean!

SUNNY:
I will work on CB tomorrow, gotta get to bed. Tell her to hang on, I will try to get her password changed and email her.......Saw her on facebook, so I know she's alive! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 am

Greymare, when I had my second surgery the surgeon screwed up and cut some nerves to my bladder and bowel so now I don't have the feeling, the warning that I have to go, plus he cut the nerves to my right foot so I have what is called drop foot, I have no feeling in my foot or right side of the leg, it took me 8 years but I trained my foot another way to move but I still trip a lot and ocasionaly fall, but I learned to deal with it, so now it is like second nature, I was even able to ride horses again which is what realy got me better, the movement of the horse at a walk helps loosen the muscles and keep the bones moving, but ever since I moved down here and did not have access to horses I stiffend up again, that is why I want to get out of here so bad and go back out west either Oregon or maybe back to Idaho, to try to ride again before it is to late and the bones fuse with arthritis, I am not upset anymore about the surgeon and he paid for his mistake all I want to do is be able to walk up right and not bent over and walk without pain. I am so glad that your surgery went so well, mine was the exception not the norm. my first back surgery was so successful that I was up and walking the same day with no pain and no numbness
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:20 pm

SUNNY, buy a back brace............there's a cazilllion of them on the internet and range in prices from $10 to around $800. Choose what you think will work for you.
Have your doc write a prescription for one in your price range and just start making yourself better, inch by inch. If it has a prescription, medicare will pay 80%. A horse would be great, but do the best you can do for you. It isn't easy, but it's a start. Like Nike says "Just do it". Who knows, in 6 mos you might be a different girl.
Seriously, try to walk, walk, walk. If you walk 10 feet today, walk 12 feet tomorrow.

I came home w a back brace and I wear it faithfully. When I walk without it, I can sure feel it. I picture riding w it even 6-8 mos from now, or forever.....time will tell. I only know God has a plan. My one friend rides in a back brace and a leg brace. If I have to I will get a zip up bull riding vest this fall. If it doesn't feel right, I'll send it back. I know I'm not the first riding with a back brace.

I'm out of orange creamcicle ice cream! HELP!. I'm going to the store later after our fallen firefighters are returned to Prescott. The procession is just starting at 11A and I don't want to miss showing respect and praying with all there. Our T V churches have all had services dedicated all morning to the catastrophe. Right now I'm watching mass.

For any of you interested in donating to the families you can do that through the 100 club. I know they are real and the money goes straight to the families:
www.100club.org I believe.

Everyone have a good day. Prayers for you SUNNY.

I just thought of something SUNNY........a life jacket from Wallmart. Strap it tight and walk. It's a try.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Okay, CB:
 I have sent you an email with your username and password.  Give it a try!

GRAYMARE:
  A friend just told me she named her treadmill so it would feel friendlier to her Very Happy .  She says she uses it more now that it has a personality.  She named it "Tallulah".  I told Annie she should name ours since she is the one using it so much.  She is thinking it over.....

SUNNY:
 Wow, you sure have issues.  I hope the back brace ideas work for you.  I have a friend who rides in one all the time, and then still has to go to a chiropractor now and again, but the brace helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

July 2013 !! Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! Empty

Back to top Go down

July 2013 !!
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next