Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2013

Go down 
+8
silverdancer
Ol'Man
Manygatess
Carol W
Ellen E
Graymare
cb
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

September 2013 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:14 am

ELLEN:
Eventually we will be able to raise enough hay, but it will probably take a few years of improving the soil and reseeding and de-weeding before we have enough. When we bought this property 15 years ago we got around 1200 bales (and only needed 300). Now we need around 900 or so and the land only produced about 600 this year. We have started composting the horse manure to boost the soil, but it will take awhile before we have enough. It should keep us busy for awhile.

I have really enjoyed the entire Areion project, from the time I bought Kazi with the plan to breed her. Areion is really turning into a nice grown-up horse. I need to get a lot better at riding to come anywhere near her potential. I was going to get a photo of me sitting on her this past Thursday, but Albert and Jane showed up a little sooner than expected for their lesson. I might get it next week. I don't plan on doing any riding to speak of until Lori says it is okay. Having her train Areion was a very good idea.

GRAYMARE:
I like the lamps! Looks like a fun project. What kind of shades are you getting?

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 1:06 am

EEEK! It's shocking to tune in here and see myself staring back. And there's so much of me!! Much more than I should have or can even believe that I have. As I wrote to ARK, in my head I'm still brown-haired and lithe and skinny. I also reported on how I took the pic: by myself with the camera propped up at an angle on top of a stepladder, me rushing down from the ladder to sit, smiling, in the scooter seat in the 11 seconds before the shutter clicked. The glasses were to let me see the camera's settings.
Now that I think of it, I should have dug out a photo from when I really was brown-haired and young and lithe and skinny.
But at least I'm finally without that gun. (Though that person with the gun did look brown-haired and young and lithe and skinny...Hmmm...)

After I took the pic, the scooter wouldn't start. Bummer. Definitely an electrical problem, but I couldn't find where. A friend comes tomorrow to help. After that, it's borrow a trailer to tow it to the shop. Warm weather this week, and I'm itching to keep riding until temps get too cold, which could happen any minute. I actually started a fire in the woodstove one day this week, the first of the season.

MANYGATES- I'm so glad that you're liberated from apple-peeling!

ELLEN - Are you still working? Do you ride the Burgman to work? I think of you on every trip to the supermarket, when I pass a lake ringed with cottages.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 am

Beech, I am still working and do ride the scooter to work now and then. Saves a LOT of gas. It's hard to believe that I've had the bike for 10 years.

I did send in my 30 day notice on September 1st and had planned to not be working after the 30th, but the manager is still not back from her knee replacement. She asked me to please stay on to do the notions ordering until she gets back. That will be Tuesdays only for a few hours. I'm hoping she'll be back in the next 2 or 3 weeks. In the mean time, I'll continue to enjoy the discounts. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 pm

BEECH:
You look wonderful on your mechanical steed! It is funny how you have a picture in your mind of how someone looks when you haven't had a photo of them. Since you were a reporter from Maine, , I thought of you as looking sort of like Jessica Fletcher Laughing . You look like the rest of us Foops Very Happy, and very cute!
That is funny how you took your own picture in 11 seconds. Cool 

ELLEN:
What kinds of things can you get at the store you work at? What will you do with your time after you stop working there?

Busy morning here. We got up early, cleaned the barn and settled the horses for the day, ran Annie over to her 5K race, had breakfast while she was out pounding the pavement, did grocery shopping and got back home before 10:30 a.m.! No rest for the wicked, though. We have to clear space for the last 100 bales of hay coming tomorrow, trim Zippy's feet, mow the yard (hopefully the last time this year), and hopefully I will get a ride in on Ivan this afternoon. I am tired thinking about it....Rolling Eyes 

Annie finished her 5K race three minutes faster than the one she did a couple of weeks ago!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Ark, the primary sales are the Viking sewing machines. We also sell Singers, and that's unfortunate. Singer is no longer the company it once was. So, in short, don't buy a Singer. We also sell lots of accessories and stabilizers to go with the embroidery machines. While the manager is off, it's my responsibility to make sure that everything is ordered and in stock.

As for what I will do once I re-retire, I have a machine and some software that will keep me busy all winter, I hope. I went to work to get the machine, and now I plan to enjoy it.
If anybody has any great ideas for items to be embroidered or created and embroidered, PLEASE let me know. Creativity is not my long suit. I can figure out and make almost anything anybody can show me, but I'm not worth a darn at creating it.

Congratulations to Annie on improving her time. Does she train everyday?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 pm

ELLEN:
She doesn't train every single day, but close to it. She and our other sister, Vicki, are training for a 15K on November 1 in Lexington, KY, and a half marathon at DisneyWorld in late February. So far Annie is beating Vicki's time, but then she is about 9 years younger and 40 pounds lighter. I am so impressed with them both, but have no desire to run on my own feet. I'd rather run on Ivan's.....Very Happy 

How about looking at stained glass patterns for ideas for your embroidery?
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:50 pm

FAITH IS HOME! Very sad tho in two ways......she hated leaving her camp friends and when she got here she immediately called for her best friend (died this summer) but she stood next to their favorite tree and waited and waited. Her other friend is there and has winneyed and winneyed to her (POA) so she finally went over to him.

You can tell she was with all brood mares as the babies ate about 8' of her tail off...........
She looks GREAT and I'll get to bathing her tomorrow...........

I am now finished crying...
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 4:57 pm

(((((((((FAITH & GRAYMARE))))))))) so hard to lose a friend animal or human!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 7:32 pm

The first days home from camp always seem a little strange for the camper. I'm sorry she lost her friend. At least she has the winter to grow her tail back so her hair will be pretty when the foal arrives.

Ark, I have a few stained glass patterns. What am I going to put it on? Graymare suggested some Walmart sweatshirts with designs on them. I'm going to check those out the next trip there.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:08 pm

What a super nice afternoon! I decided to give the jetski some exercise, so took it and ran around the big lake a couple of times. When I got back, Two Doors Over neighbors inviited other neighbors to go on a nice pontoon ride all around the lakes. We spent over two hours just cruising around. When we got back, three of us went into town for dinner. Great weather. Great friends. Great day. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 pm

ELLEN:
 You could make some very nice Christmas presents with those sweatshirts and some embroidery that reflects the interests of the recipient.   Sounds like fun!

GRAYMARE:
 I am sorry about Faith's friend.  Horses have such good memories.  I hope she enjoys her new companion.  I feel bad for horses who are separated from their friends, they sure have no choice in where their lives lead them.   Zippy used to love a QH gelding named Mighty, who stayed one summer at the same place as he and Arkady did.  Later when Zippy would see Mighty at a ride, he would act like he had found his long lost friend.  I used to take Zippy and his cart and let a friend drive it while I rode Arkady on some rides.   I don't think I have ever seen Zippy in love with any other horse during his life like he was with Mighty.  He is basically a loner most of the time.  Unfortunately, Mighty eventually got sold out of state and Zippy never saw him again.  Sad.

Annie is waiting to hear how she placed in her age group at the race this morning.  It's like waiting for Christmas fpr her. Laughing  She did get a very nice medal for finishing:

September 2013 - Page 6 3q75.th
Click on to enlarge.

We got nearly everything done today we had planned!  The weather was nice.  I even got in a ride on Ivan this evening, although a fairly short one.  He was good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Where is CB? We haven't seen anything from her for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 pm

WARNING--WARNING--WARNING!

Snoop and I are about to start on “our” travel blog. Feel free to skip over as this as it’s gonna be a l-o-n-g one by the time we are finished. Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to learn a bit about other parts of this world as you travel with us. I’m using Carol’s scrapbook kinda / sorta as a guide and with a few comments of my own. Snoop will be telling a few tales also … of the ‘unvarnished truth’ variety of course!.

The “backstory”...

This entire trip started with a simple comment I made back in December and didn’t really expect to get a reply on, much less any ‘action’ from the trip planning department: “I’d like to go to Sweden.” From that simple comment, this thing blossomed into the longest trip we’ve ever made on our own and one of the most memorable in so many different ways.. We just had to see what we could of other parts of that area...AND...go see our adopted daughter in Estonia. So, we were in Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway … and had also ‘touched down’ and changed planes in Warsaw, Poland. (On the return flight home, we changed planes in London, England) So, altogether, that’s 7 bits of foreign soil in 24 days!!

Why Estonia…??

Back in ’97, a young lady by the name of Maris Schmidt (pronounce her name like “Maurice” and you’ll be close enough!) spent the summer here working at our local YMCA as an exchange camp counselor. At that time, our daughter, Charlotte was working at the “Y” also. As it turned out, Maris was living just up the road from us with one of our neighbors. She and Charlotte soon became fast friends and Maris ended up moving into our spare bedroom. It didn’t take long till we realized we had acquired another daughter. The day she left us to return home in Estonia … well … let’s just say that Daddy stood in the driveway with tears streaming down his cheeks as he watched the car leave. She has since married (Marko) and has two sons … Mikhel (9 yo.) and Martin (6 yo). Carol worked it out with Maris and the first 5 nights were spent with them in their home. Maris speaks several languages and was an English major in university. She teaches English on the high school level. Marko speaks a little English, and we could see (and hear) an improvement in his language usage in just the 5 days we were with them. Mikhel could say a few words in English and seemed to understand more when spoken to. Martin was too shy to say much around us in any language!! (We’ve heard since returning home that both boys want to learn English as a result of having been around us for a few days.) They live on the outskirts of Tallinn, which is the largest city and also the capitol of Estonia. There home originally belonged to Marko’s grandparents and he is slowly remodeling the interior … and doing a BEAUTIFUL job. I seriously envy his skills and greatly admire his work ethic and determination to do the job right. Carol admires that he ‘cleans up his mess’ as he goes along … unlike someone else she knows and has been married to for 41 years!! WHO, ME…??

A bit about Estonia to ‘set the stage’…

Estonia, part of the the former Soviet Union until after WW1, prospered as an independent country until Russia reclaimed it during WW2. Free again in 1990, Estonia joined the European Union in 2004 and adopted the Euro as its currency in 2011. I don’t usually like to refer folk to wikipedia because of “too much” information or “not enough”, but If you’ll take the time to skim through the various sub-parts of the site, you’ll gain a better understanding and appreciation for this country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia We were certainly impressed! And as is usually the case when we think of ‘our history’, it pales in comparison to European history. Check out what was going on in Estonia BEFORE the discovery of the ‘new world’ in 1492.

I will pick this up again when we “arrive” and try to do it just one day at at time to keep it as short as possible yet still give you a taste of what we’ve seen and done. This entire trip was a very special occasion for us on so many levels. I’ll see you in the next installment!!

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 5:21 pm

This is so interesting RICK.......waiting for chapter 2............
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 pm

A further bit of explanation…..

Carol and I consider “day one” as the day we left the house and we arrived in Tallin the next day which would be “day two”.

There’s not a lot to say about spending a long day in an airplane or long waiting times between flights except to say that we survived and arrived.  A bit of a story is probably needed here as this was our first trip on an airline other than an American line or UK line.  We were on Poland’s national airline … LOT …  from Chicago to Warsaw.  On spur of the moment, we decided to ask about the cost of an “upgrade” or at least a seat with longer legroom for me.  The cost for 1st class was ‘high’ but not totally out of reason and we elected to “think about it” for a bit.  While we were “thinking about it” thae lady from the airline approached us and told us of another seating arrangement that would give us (me) more leg room but would not be as expensive as a full price 1st class upgrade. There was a slight problem...the “movie screen, etc.” was out of order on that seat.  What did we care … we both had books and would likely sleep some on the overnite trip.  The additional cost was very reasonable and we took those seats.  Right before we left, the same gal found us again and said IF we were not happy after boarding that we could do an upgrade after we boarded the aircraft.  We were satisfied with the seats.  There has been a lot of news about lately on Boeing 787 aircraft having problem.  This was on a 787 and there obviously had been a problem with “electronic failure” at the seat we were in.  However, I’ll say this...that 787 was the quietest airplane we’ve ever flown in.  We were enthralled with the window tinting in lieu of shades.  Touch a button (it WORKED at our seat!) and the window darkened down like photo gray lenses you wear in your eyeglasses.  We felt like LOT airline personnel were the nicest of any we have had to deal with over the years. I / we would not hesitate to fly with them again.

The airport in Warsaw was nice and clean, but not as “fancy” as one might expect in this day and age.  It was crowded where we were.  Only thing unusual were several pairs of soldiers/police officers walking around carrying rifles.  For some reason, this gave us a sense of safety in this foreign land.

Our flight from Warsaw to Tallinn was ‘around an hour’ in length.  We were met my Maris and Mikhel and she presented some fresh cut flowers to Carol (from her lovely garden).  I only rated a hug!!  After retrieving our luggage (UGGH...it was h-e-a-v-y!!) we had about a 20 minute drive and Maris had us at “home”.  Gosh...it sure was nice to see our gal again!!

After meeting Marko when he got home with Martin … he (Marko) did the “manly thing” and grilled our supper on the grill outside.  Snoop and I kept him company and had a beer while visiting. (Snoop drank homemade apple juice).  Dinner was delicious and we all (six of us including the boys) took a stroll in the neighborhood and started our first little bit of sightseeing.  The main feature we saw on this stroll was GLEHNI LOSS which is a relatively new castle.  You’ll find more information here at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glehn_Castle

Here is another view from the front:  

There was a wedding reception party going on when we were there and we did not get up close to the building.  This was the first of three weddings we saw from a distance. Here is one last site that has a lot of pictures made around the castle and some obviously made inside.  Also a bunch I have no clue about. Enjoy! http://www.google.com/search?q=glehni+loss&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eohIUtSNOeLC2QXd7ICQDA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1282&bih=599&dpr=1

After “strolling”  back to the house, Maris served us a delicious cheesecake desert and we all sat around the kitchen table and visited and ate.  As a side note about interesting little things you learn, the definition of “cream cheese” and “cottage cheese” seems to be reversed from what we know here in the USA.  Did I say the cheesecake was delicious?  Did I say that “Snoop” had a 2nd piece?  Yeah...right!!  Rick had a second piece!!

While we were there at the table, we exchanged little gifts.  The boys were fascinated with the Sizzler Magnets.  We gave Maris a hanging crystal to hang in her kitchen window for its ‘rainbow’ effect, and a homemade “heating pad filled with rice”, and a bookmark she (Carol) had made.  Gave Marko a couple different “tools” for his keyring and a small flashlight.  Charlotte had sent along a “survival bracelet” for each of the boys as well as Maris and Marko that she had made from parachute cord.  They gifted us with a pair of house slippers for Carol made with a genuine Estonian color and pattern … and gave me a cap styled kind of like a “golfers cap” that also was of an Estonian pattern and color.  I wore that cap for the rest of our trip and Carol utilized her slippers for for the rest of the trip.  She wears the slippers here at home and I wear the cap some when I know it won’t get soiled and dirty.  What’s important is the love and memories of a wonderful time spent with this branch of our ‘family.’

Tomorrow will be Day #3….I’ll see you in the morning.  We have had a long day and are ready for bed.  Good night all!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Sorry...I had some pics that I had copied and wanted to display, but I just don't know how to do it. They showed up fine in the "pages" program and just got lost when I submitted them here.

GRRRRR!!

GRAYMARE: Carol says that YOU have cost us over $130.oo. She fell in love with that Celtic Thunder video you had and now we are going to see them live in concert on Oct. 30.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 pm

RICKSTER...........you guys will LOVE them! They put on a GREAT concert.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 9:14 pm

This is great, Rick. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 12:24 am

RICK:
I am enjoying your travels! Very Happy 

We got our hay put into the building. We are set for feeding the horses all winter. Next project: Getting the woodshed finished and stocked with firewood.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 8:21 am

More very sad news. I received a email from Santa. His son Jeffrey passed away, he was only 51 and living out in CA. God bless the Longhenry family.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 am

OH WOW, TRUDY! Very sad.........prayers for the Longhenrys as they grieve through this..................

Do we have a snail addy? I remember New Hampshire but that's all I know.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Oh no ....  prayers for them as they go through this ...  51 is pretty young and very hard to accept .....  Trudy .. please tell them we are thinking of them and that WE CARE!!!!!!!  Prayers for peace and acceptance of this loss.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

TRUDY:
I am very sad for David and Samantha........((((((David and Sam))))))))....Please pass along our condolences.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm

my symphathy to them also....and big HUGS.....there isn't much one can say, sorry and we are thinking about them.....I think that is a parents greatest sorrow to lose a child....
so will HUM that they can get thru this, that they can find peace, and solace to bear up and make it thru this hard time in their lives. Sending my love! ((((HUGS for SAnta and Sam))))

I will look for their address....I know I have it somewhere....but if anyone can find it sooner, do post it.

We have been busy fixing fences and
and biurying water lines ....having prospective puppy buyers coming .....sold one more puppy yesterday out of my newest litter....I only have one more to sell out of the middle litter...and the first litter is all sold. Then I have Sassy to deliver....that lil horn toad is locked in my horse trailer....with one of the girls that has a spay appt. if the gov't doesn't shut down. What do y'all think is going to happen....I am worried....

Rick, enjoying the trip thru you! Thanx for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Here is Santa's snail mail address.

David & Sam Longhenry
1 Prospect St
Rymond, NH 16828
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

thanks Trudy!

Ellen, I'm here! Just been busy trying to fixe fences, and selling puppies....sold another one today...two are sold already and they won't be ready for another 2 weeks....people are finding my colors unique and like it! Thank goodness.

Gotz to get to the store and get a card and pick up a few groceries....later y'all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2013
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next