Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2013

Go down 
+8
silverdancer
Ol'Man
Manygatess
Carol W
Ellen E
Graymare
cb
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Indyapp

September 2013 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 am

MANYGATES I saw a lot of similarities between your lilac bush story and CBs story about Jesse. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Indy, is there a equine chiro nearby that could take look? We have one here in town that does both horses and people! True! Used her on Cinnmon....seemed to help for while....

We can ride around our block which takes about 4 hours, its a paved road, but no lines on it, but has nice wide berms to ride on, not much traffic on that, but she went out to the main roads where they zip fly by, and big oil tnkers and oil field trucks....dumb kiddo! I think even a seasoned horse would mind all the traffic and noise.

Trudy, glad George was alright....these dang men forgetting things are a menace to theirselves and lilac bushes! LOL

Went and had my test today, oatmeal was a bit bitter tasting, but I ate it cuz by the time they got me in I hadn't eaten or drank anything for over 12 hours! yikes....and then they put me on a table and had a machine over me for an hour and I went off to sleep in no time flat. Wasn't too bad at all.

Well, auction to night, junk...but jessi is looking for a dresser and I saw one there today when we previewed....so maybe we will go....maybe not.....

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am

Appy, hope you see this and know we are humming for your safety in these floods! Don't take any chances as we would like to have you around for a very very long time with us!
I'll HUM for all those in danger. The news is showing devastation....

and then the fires on the boardwalk, those poor folks too....wow....

it makes one wonder, fires and floods...hmmmmm...we all better mind our p's and q's here....me thinks!

Everyone stay safe! please....
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 am

where is everybody? busy I hope and doing something fun and not a lot of hard work, this is the weekend, time for rest and relaxation before Monday and back to work:lol!: 
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 11:30 am

So Sunny ...... how did you come out with your truck????? Hope they made it right.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I have lived a very boring existance for the last couple of days - my choice. Nothing I HAVE to do, so I've done very little. Very Happy  Nothing worth writing about.

Carol, how's the Minnesota weather? It sure has cooled off here! Beautiful day outside, but too cold to open the doors.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 pm

ARK: OK I made a applesauce with the no directions recipe. It was really easy. Just peeled and cut up the apples, put them in a large pot with a couple cups of water, brought them to a boil, turned them to simmer, kept stirring so they didn't stick to the pot or scorch...when they got mooshy and soft, I spooned them outta the pot, put them into a food mill (never saw a food mill before, Barb brought hers out for me to use), turned them into puree, added sugar, cinnamon and a little vanilla and ta da applesauce. ClappingHands  It is a little lumpy, I could have used the food mill a little longer I guess, but don't mind chunky applesauce or lumpy potatoes. LOL The hardest part was peeling the darn apples. I just added sugar a little at a time until I thought it was sweet enough.

Other than making the applesauce, we picked peppers, brussel sprouts and I found 2 small watermelons that were hiding in the corn. LOL It's been a busy morning.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I have to take my explorer back the first of the week when they have the lift free to check it out and replace the bad bearings and the tie rod and whatever else I find because the problems have been there before I bought the explorer so am hoping he makes it right without a fight, but am willing to fight if I haveto as I am very upset,
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Oooh, ARK, no,no, don't go away! I post too infrequently to have earned any right to vote here, but I do lurk at least once a week or so, and have been doing so for so long -- more than 10 years now, is that possible?- that I'd feel lost without you all.

Catching up today after coming to the computer to check my bank balance before heading out on errands, so time is tight, but I have to weigh in on APPLESAUCE.

Manygates, you don't have to peel those apples! Just quarter them, plop them in enough water to cover, and boil them until they're squishy -- probably no more than 10 minutes or so. Then run them though the hand-cranked Foley food mill and sugar and season (I just add a little cinnamon) to taste.

Use lots of water if you want the applesauce runny, less if you want it thick. How much sugar you'll want to add can also vary with the kind of apple you use.

And do trust me about the not-peeling! I can never believe how neatly the food mill compresses all those skins and cores and seeds right down to almost nothing. Makes the whole process a snap. No lumps, either.

I know whereof I speak from having dosed my horse with applesauce-drenched medicine for a year or more. Got so he opened his mouth for it. And I myself can only manage to swallow the big multi-vitamin bolus I take daily if it's coated in applesauce.

Guess what I have to go out to buy now!

Apples, apples, apples!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks much bout apples. Mom used to serve a baked apple for supper lots. Also does anyone still go out in the garden and get "greens"? They were great----anything that woman cooked was great at our house.

I remember once in the depression mom fixed "sausdge gravy over a couple of left over bisc,'ts" for a hoboe (sp) .
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 am

BEECH and TRUDY:
Thanks for the applesauce recipes! I will have to invest in a blender or food processor or something before next year's crop of apples. You wouldn't believe how many apples have come off that tree this year. The horses get two a day with their evening meal, the goat gets four a day, I eat at least one, and the neighbors have had apples pushed on them for weeks. We have dumped two tractor buckets into the woods where the deer can get to them, but not the horses, and we are still getting apples. It is Annie's job to pick them up every day. There is a trash bag full of them on the porch right now and a big bucket of them in the barn. All the rain this summer has really brought on the apples!

OL'MAN:
Your mother sounds like my grandmother. She was the best cook around and always helped out other folks. I can still remember her creamed corn right off the cob....Drool 

I hear that RICK is back in the country. Hope they had a great trip!

I posted a video of Areion's lesson last Thursday on my facebook page. I haven't figured out how to do that here. It shows Areion trotting under saddle in the round pen, doing pretty well, then getting a little rambunctious. Lori told her to just trot on, and Areion did. As I watched this happen, I decided getting Lori to train Areion wasn't such a bad idea! Laughing 

Tomorrow morning, before daylight, we have to feed the horses and then take Annie over to Blacksburg for a 5K race. Before daylight....Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 1:35 am

ARK, are there any local food banks or take them to a church in a box and put sign on that says free....makes ya feel good and helps folks out too.....

Y'all are making me hungry for applesauce and bked apples....My kids put them in the microwave, they get realy mushy ....they would put brown sugar on them and eat them up!

Shoot, just raided my cupboard and all I found was a choc pudding cup....drat....I may have to make me a funnel cake!

Beech, we enjoy hearing from you too!

Ellen, nothing is too boring....but you are having COLD weather....wow...send some here...

eeeeekkkkk....I just saw a mouse....ugh....

See I have such interesting posts too, don't I!

Ol Man, I remember when times were tough, I'd make hamburg gravy over baked potatoes that we gleaned from neighobrs fields....that's a good meal even for hoboes....and for families....very filling....you get taters, milk, and bit of meat thrown in....my kids loved it.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 am

BEECH: Thanks for the applesauce hint about not peeling the apples. I wondered why Barb was saying the food mill will remove the skin and seeds. I thought maybe she didn't clean the apples real well before she put them in the pot. Didn't realize the apples were not peeled at all. LOL I'm gonna try that before she takes back her food mill. Then I'm off to the Amish store to get me a Foley food mill of my own. Our tree is loaded with apples this year, we will have lots of applesauce in the freezer for winter. It's so much better than store applesauce.

ARK: We feed the deer apples too and our neighbor brought us this HUGE box of pears, snuck them onto the porch and drove away. LOL Guess his pear tree is going wild this year too. We fed a lot of them to the deer out in the woods.

CB: We ate baked apples when I was a kid too. What a treat that was.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone. We are off to church and then to The Well for coffee with our neighbors. It's so nice to have a little coffee shop right at the church.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 1:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4U1ShwjleSE?

LOL. Everyone have a great day!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Laughing    Good one.

It's been a very quiet day.  Casey came over to play at my house while neighbors went to watch grandson's soccer game.  Little Miss Scarlett was out for a walk with her daddy and told him she wanted to come to Ellen's house.  She and Casey got acquainted; each was very respectful of the other with Baby giving gentle pats, and doggie giving gentle kisses.
Then the rain started.  Just a nice easy rain, so far.  Bears won.  Colts lost.  NASCAR rained out.  Think I'll fix a little pork tenderloin for dinner, which will provide several more meals later.  Roll it in Italian salad dressing, brown it on top of the stove, then into the oven for about 45 minutes.  Easy.  Good.

Ark, how was the 5K?

2 hours later... It was really good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 am

ELLEN:
 Annie had a blast at the 5K race today!  She finished somewhere in the middle of the pack and did better time than in her previous races.   And she got a cool t-shirt, Laughing .  

September 2013 - Page 3 Hokey511    September 2013 - Page 3 Anniec10

She has talked me into doing a 5K in October called "Color Me Rad" where they plaster everyone with colored powder. It looks like fun.

Donnie cut the last field's hay yesterday and we hope to bale it tomorrow. It will only be 25 or 30 bales, but every bale helps. I hope the rain holds off......
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 am

I sold two more puppies today which leaves me with the 2 I am keeping plus one more to sell.....
and then I ran across an ad on craigslist, someone had to get ride of a red and white boston terrier, or they were going to have it put down tomorrow....honestly the picture looked like a boston terrier....wasn't one tho....we went to get it, and out comes this Canadian Bull Dog...all 80 lbs of him! and when I knelt down, he reached up and kissed my nose, not a lick, but he used his lips and actually kissed my nose....well I was sold, even tho we thought we were getting another BT to keep Bully company, Otis came home with us! He is a darn sweetie. The owner had moved to a small subdivision, nd had no fence, and I think the landlord gave him an ulaltimatium.....and he had small kids too...so I understand his situation....and no fenced yard....we have been picking cactus spines out of him all afternoon....poor guy....

My lil Short Stuff doxie....my shadow is now completely blind....we knew she would have some health problems when she was a puppy, but I chose to give her life then....and now....I'm waiting on a biopsie to come back on her....she ahas some tumors also....we will keep her comfy as long as we can....she isn't that old, but she hd some deformities when born....in 2007...and we have kept her going, she has been my shadow, but will be spending more time in house now....she will have a safe outside pen so she can still be out and feel the sunshine...bout breaks my heart, tonight she walked right into the fence and fell down....poor baby....she will be taken care of as long as she is with me. Don't know why it is always the ones you are attached the most to....

well that's some good news and bad news....I like part of the news...the other part....NOT so much...
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 am

Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend .... quiet one here, but we did get some much needed rain ..... Rode Ice but that was about it for my activities. Much cooler fall type weather.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Good deal CAROL, glad you're getting in some riding. My truck is tied up for a couple of days so Faith is still not here.

YAYYYYYYY ANNIE! Woohoo, great finish!

I just came in. I worked about 2 hrs outside this A M.............things are getting back in order day by day.

ARK, I'm happy to read Aerion is doing well. Next spring/summer will be your year.................good going.

OLMAN, good to see you here. You, too, BEACH. Your gorgeous fall must be moving right in.

CB, so sorry for Short Stuff. Just cuddle and enjpy her as long as you can.

Anyone ever have a Bassett? Friend tried top give me a puppy but I don't know what they're really like. They seem really nice but I've heard they bark all the time........is that true?

Everyone have a wonderful day..........God bless.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Graymare, Bassetts are cute dogs...love their ears. They don't bark all the time, but when they do brk it is more of a hound baying...but they love to sleep by the fire and be cushy! they will love to run and hunt too....so make sure you have a great fence!
I gave one to hubby for his wedding present....a lemon and white one... and someone stole her right out of our yard..She was sweet.

Otis is lying cross my feet he is a very people type dog! Wants to be close. He is being a very good dog.

Rain called for this week here....ugh...some is alright, but its spose to RAIN....we'll see if the weatherman is right this time.

Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 am

ARK - Gosh, I wish I lived close. I'd take some of those apples off your hands. By the way,if you're serious about investing in apple-processing equipment, that Foley food mill is a very low tech thing: basically just a pot with holes in the bottom (like a collander) with a plate that rotates tightly above it, to squish the sauce down through the holes, leaving the skins and cores in the pot. You do the rotating, and it takes no time at all. Being so simple, it should cost next to nothing, but when I went looking to replace mine because it's getting pretty worn, I backed off from a $35 price tag. MANYGATES, I'll be interested in what you find.

GRAYMARE - Not a bit of fall foliage here yet -- well, maybe just a smidgen of red here and there in the sumacs.

Everybody here is remarking on how fast the summer seemed to pass this year. I think that's because it didn't feel like it started until August, after many rainy days. That made it a tough year to hay. I didn't get my hay until August, and it was a late first cutting, so not top quality. But lucky to get it at all! I am laughing to hear of some of y'all getting a fifth cutting.

But today I noticed wintry hair coming in on the horse.

And the forecast says maybe frost here tonight.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm

CAROL, Happy Birthday!:dance: :dance: wavy hug and mooooooooooony mooooooooooore!
Hope ya have a great day!

Beech, in Idaho there would be about 4 cuttings....but they said this year, with lack of irrigation waters, they mostly only got 2 or 3 cuttings which is going to drive up prices, and then a lot of the ranchers lost their hay in the fires...so that will also drive up the prices. Here in TX they get 5 or 6 cuttings if they irrigate, but the hay isn't cheap! 75 lb bale goes anywhere from 13-15 dollars a bale. we feed a pelleted hay and grain feed to supplement less hayage....everyone is doing fine on it....but whew...spendy!

I love apple cider! Can't get good cider anymore....man I miss that stuff!

New puppy dog hasn't eaten anyone yet, but he wakes me up by nibbling on my nose ever so gently when he has to go out in the middle of the night! funny boy!

Graymare, good to hear you are doing so good! Glad you are getting outside and doing things that make ya happy! I hear the temps are still high there! Ours is dropping here...thank goodness....Mid 90's is better than 105! And spose to have some 80's coming up but with rain....so humidity will be HIGH!

Well, y'all have a great week!
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes ..... don't need to add another year to the count, but ....... the alternate isn't so great!!!! LOLOL

Just took apple crisp out of the oven ... first of the year ...... wonder how long til it won't burn my tongue .... melt the ice cream, but not burn the tongue ...... ewwwww sounds pretty darn good to me. I love that stuff.

Graymare ... sounds like you are doing great!!!! I am so happy for you.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Hey Carol! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a terrific day!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 7:45 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL..................cake in Dec or Jan.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 pm

CAROL:
Hope you had a fabulously calorie-rich, intensively fun birthday!!! :dance: 
I am glad to hear you and Ice are getting some rides in, too. wavy 
BTW: It would be great to see your apple crisp recipe.....

BEECH:
I will try to find a Foley machine. Our apples are finally petering out a bit. The deer and horses will sure miss them! So after you make the applesauce, how do you preserve it?

GRAYMARE:
I am hoping Areion will be a fun ride! She sure looks fun from the ground Very Happy . I will take lessons on her when Lori thinks the time is right.

CB:
Congrats on selling the two pups. I am sorry to hear about the health problems of the one you love......

ELLEN:
Good health news: My bloodtests are all normal, my blood pressure is normal and I can get off the meds, and even my cholesterol is much lower! The doctor says that unless I manage to poison myself again, I should be safe from TTP. wavy  I am off all prescription drugs and am only taking supplements now. Thanks to all here who sent good thoughts and prayers to help me along last year, it really helped!

Well we got 34 bales of hay off the upper field, its third cutting. It has been so chilly and cloudy, it took longer to dry than we expected. We aren't going to cut anymore, we'll leave the middle field growing for winter pasture. We just started loading the hay into the truck when the brake line broke after Annie drove the truck for about 50 feet.affraid  Luckily, it wasn't pointed downhill....it could have been a very bad situation. I had just driven it into the field and had traveled downhill before Annie got into it.

Our neighbor, the marathon runner/farmer guy, brought over his little mini-truck and two sons and helped us get the hay to the barn. He just ran a half marathon on Sunday at the same event that Annie ran the 5-K race, and was 31st out of 1075 half marathon runners! Anyway, the poor truck is still in the field.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2013
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next