Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2013

Go down 
+6
Ol'Man
Rick Angell
Carol W
Graymare
cb
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: November 2013   November 2013 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 pm

November 2013 Kx57
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Welcome to November 2013! Can you tell the theme is 'Dawn and a horse' in the pix?

Donnie and I took my sister, Annie, to Lexington, KY over the weekend. She, my other sister, and two nieces all ran in a 15K race at the KY Horse Park. They all finished! That is over 9 miles. I am very impressed with them all, but still only want to cover miles with Ivan's feet doing the work.

They are all training for a half marathon they are going to at Disney World in late Feb. Annie will be training with them until then and won't be back here until mid-May, so Donnie and I are home alone. We aren't quite sure what to do with all the privacy Laughing .

After the race on Saturday, they all went back home in N.KY and Donnie and I stayed at the Horse Park and watched part of a big horse show they had going on there. The new arena where they held the World Equestrian Games a few years ago is very nice. We watched teenagers jumping horses over some impressive jumps inside the arena. It was fun.

We got home Saturday evening and found all creatures fine and the house not burned down. Always a good thing.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:07 pm

ELLEN:
 I will be riding Areion more and more as her training goes on.  We want her used to more than just Lori and I need to get used to a horse so much bigger than Ivan.  I suspect I'll be taking lessons on Areion in the near future.

I found some photos of Areion that seem connected, despite two being taken when she was a baby and the other recently.

November 2013 Qgos.th   November 2013 Lkl1.th  November 2013 Wxyt.th

The last photo was taken when Areion was just shown the obstacles and led across with no hesitation.  I suspect her having had lots of stuff to play with as a baby helped her with not being afraid of the obstacle now.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 am

Ark, did you see the cross country jumping course at the Park? Oh wow, I wouldn't even attempt them! They are some gosh awful scary jumps in my mind. The whole park is beautiful.

Yep, I agree, I'd rather sit to my horsie doing the miles....

Was outside tonight and left the dogs out for their run, and I was walking around the car just as the dogs were coming around the other side, I honestly got mowed completely over....I went down on my right hip and leg and my head hit pretty hard too....all I can say is OUCH! I think it was White Dog who weighs about 70 pounds now and Otto who is a whopping 85 pounds....I saw them coming and then I was down...I didn't have time to do anything but go splat. I was quite upset with them, and then all the dogs had to come give me kisses since I was down on their level....Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 am

Good grief. How can it be November already? Time to wax my floors.............we have one turkey already (got it Fri). For each $100 spent you get a free turkey so that was a good deal. I bought all sale items but it adds up fast.

CAROL, our days right now are great..............you will be glad to get here.

Faith is happy happy...........she rolled in mud Saturday (irrigation) so yesterday I groomed her shiney again. Today I am going to wash her mane. Tomorrow or Wed her tail. LOL, I'm having a ball with all of this. Smile 

ARK............as Nike says "just do it", you're doing very well. Have fun, that's the point.

CB, LOL, at least no one can say you aren't having fun. Glad you enjoyed your ride.....
I just ride around here to keep Faith "in shape".......and her shape is round.

RICK, I don't even have to go to Sweden & Denmark thanks to you & Carol...........

Tired today............prob because the floor is on deck.

Everyone have a great day..........Very Happy  Be blessed.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Nice picture Ark ..... again!!!!

Glad you are having fun with your horses CB ..... sorry about the fall. Be careful.

Cold/windy here again ..... getting ready to head for AZ this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Forgot Graymare ... LOLOL glad you are having fun with Faith ..... like your keeping her in shape ..... I hate scrubbing floors .....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 3:38 pm

LMAO CAROL............round and fat is a shape and Faith and I resemble that remark...............goody, this time next week you will be here!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I forgot......when is lunch?

Please don't say "after breakfast"...........................LOL
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 4:45 pm

soon as I get there and then get myself straight .....  LOLOL  It will be after breakfast though .... hahahahaha  I can't wait to get my lungs out of this awful cold wet weather!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Day 15 … let the muscle aches begin!!

Our day began with a nice breakfast and some great chatting with the other guests talking about past travel experiences, things we wanted to do in the future, and a lot of laughing.  THIS is why we prefer a B & B over a commercial hotel and eating in a restaurant for all meals.

I’m not sure if I said it earlier, but Carol got this silly notion about how “easy” it would be to rent and ride bikes and get out into the countryside of Aero.  Seriously though, we had both seen the Rick Steve’s travel video about this place and his comments about how flat Aero was and that the elevation changed in mere inches on one possible bike route.  So after checking with John (our host), we learned that the bike rental shop was just a couple / three blocks away … and we did our “Away we go,”  to see Aero by bike.  The weather was absolutely perfect with hardly a cloud to be seen anywhere and temps on the comfortable cool side of approximately 70.  Oh … did I mention that neither of us had ridden a bike in 20 or 30 years?

The lady at the bike rental place was very friendly and helpful and made sure our seats were properly adjusted, gave us some pointers on the “multi-speed” feature of the bike and “watched” as we did a required road test across the parking lot.  I think she just wanted to see a couple old fools make a spectacle of themselves … but we passed the test and she turned us loose.  She mentioned there was a new, really flat route recently opened, but the thing(s) we wanted to see were not on that route.

After having a 1 ½ million mile career as a commercial truck driver, you would think I would be a pretty good judge of distance traveled, etc. Not so .. at least from the seat  on a bicycle!!  Several minutes out of town, we came to our first nice down hill grade and really enjoyed the breeze and the scenery.  Of course, you need to remember for every “downhill” there is also an “uphill” as steep or steeper!  I think we forgot that and soon stepped off the bikes to walk and push.  That wasn’t so bad. I’m going to give you this site to see what we were seeing.  I well remember seeing a lot of the same things from our wandering around town on foot and this bicycle adventure.  You’ll do well to read this person’s blog as well as enjoy his photos.  (Please note the picture of a small hanging ship inside the church and of the writer’s written explanation about them.  Carol has added in her scrapbook that “it may symbolize the navigation of a person or an entire congregation through the waters of life.”)  http://www.bryan-thorne.com/EEE%20-%20plus/29.%20%20Aero%20Island,%20Denmark/Aero%20Island,%20Denmark.htm  Fortunately, the native folk of Aero are accustomed to bike riders and hikers and those like us that were “hiking” while pushing a bike UP a grade.

Somewhere along the way we turned off a main road and took a small side road.  This definitely put us out in the country for some real rural views and scenery.  It also took us to a lone apple tree beside the road.  Since there were apples already on the ground “outside” the fence line, we decided that it would not be considered stealing if we each ate an apple that we picked out of the side ditch. Delicious!!  We soon found the location of our main objective for the day … Bregninge Kirke.  We stopped here for a long break to rest our wheels and our weary legs and feet.  Please take the time to read about this really old church that is still actively used today.  It is very well maintained and quite beautiful in its tasteful decoration and artistry inside:   http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bregninge_Kirke_%28%25C3%2586r%25C3%25B8%29&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbregninge%2Bkirke%2B%25C3%25A6r%25C3%25B8%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DAl5%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official This site will show you a lot of the countryside AS SEEN from the church steeple.  We could NOT get up there, but I found this neat video just now as I’m writing this piece.  The header roughly translates to “sights from top of Bregninge Kirke.”  You’ll likely enjoy this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfuE7i6LDc

This is getting to be long, so I’ll stop here and continue on with a part two.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Day 15 ... continued

After a drink of water and a visit to the loo, we happily turned our bikes downhill for a long coast to and through the community of Bregninge and we did stop at one point to take a short break and pet a couple horses that came up to the fence.  I … er … er … learned that the farm folk in Denmark know about electric fencing.  Please don’t ask me how I learned that.  Some minutes on after our brief stop with the horses, I realized that the front tire on my bike was almost flat.  By this time, we were well away from the community and I had to get off and push.  Carol was winded from riding up the very long grade and got off to walk also.  We continued onward … and upward … till we came to a small farmhouse setting where there were two women outside talking.  Somehow or other, we were able to communicate that we had a flat tire on the bike.  The elder lady (who did not speak any English) went inside her house and returned a couple minutes later with a bicycle tire pump!!  We had been trying to ask about a “garage” or “tire shop” but she knew what the pump was for.  I pumped up the tire and it seemed to be holding air so we thanked the ladies and continued on our way.  Less than 15 minutes later, I was walking again and we stopped at a rural “country store.”  This was obviously a community gathering place as there were benches outside to “set a spell.”  The owner / manager of this store spoke enough English to understand our predicament and also found an advertisement in an old newspaper that had the bike rental phone number.  She made the phone call for us.  We purchased some cold drinks and candy bars and waited outside on the benches for 30 - 45 minutes until the bike lady came.  We were tired and just “knew” that she would be in a van or small pickup truck and carry us both back into town.  No such luck … she was in a small car with a single bike rack on the back that held “ONE” bike.  We had to ride our bikes back to town.  I guess she wanted us to get the full usage of the bikes.

To complete this day’s excitement and adventure, I MUST quote from Carol’s scrapbook:  “Trashing the rest of the ‘Rick Steves Bike Route’ we turned onto the cross-island shortcut to Aeroskobing.  Now we had a fairly steep downhill -- that should have made me happy right?  I had never ridden a bike wit gears before, and I was trying to pedal so that I could gain control of the ))%^&(^&% thing but it felt like free-fall, as if the chain had come off.  I finally braked enough to catch a gear and I got it stopped before being hit by a car.  As I was getting off on the side of the road and trying to lift my right foot over the middle bar so I could stand, my right foot got caught and I fell on my knees on the road.  Now you have to picture me trying to get up while the bike was leaning on me.  Rick, bless his heart, lifted the bike and helped me up without laughing.  I did ride the last flat half mile into town and was happy to get rid of the bike. Whose lame idea was this bike ride, anyway? She ought to have her head examined!!  That was my only fall this trip (pardon the pun) and I didn’t really fall -- just decided to kneel and pray this ride would soon be over!”

Our day was not quite over as there was a small museum just two doors down from our garden gate at the B & B.  We got there just as the lady was closing up, but she let us in for a very quick look around and I think Carol even purchased a post card or two. I just wish I could find a better reference site than this one, as it really was a neat place to see:  http://thisbelongsinamuseum.com/post/6384082990/with-his-first-bottled-ship-made-at-the-age-of

We then decided to get some laundry done and carried / pulled one of the large bags “several blocks”  to laundry and found “Out Of Order” signs on nearly every machine INCLUDING the one where you put in change to get laundry tokens. For the machines and soap!!  We took our dirty clothes back to the room and went to dinner at a “cheap” place down near the dock.

See you folks tomorrow …  we are tired!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks Rick---brings back good stuff.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am

aha! This is the second night and that lil hornytoad of a wiener doggie hasn't figured out how to get out of an all wire pen! Thank Goodness! It is wired over the top and across the bottom and the sides are all wire....NOW he will only get to female doxie when I say he does! Darn thing, he climbed out of pens, horse trailers, chewed a plastic kennel to pieces, and bred 3 of my doxies for this fall. Its hard to raise litters in the camper, but we did it. House raised and well socialized Course the GD's helped with that, they loved the kids plaing with them. The young guy who bought two pups, he texted me....I asked him if he was happy with the pups, and he said Definitely yes.....he and his girlfriend never knew dachshunds could be so much fun and such lil love bugs, and I have several who send me pictures with their babies sometimes dressed up and sometimes just some cute pics! All my pups lucked out with great owners. Some have stopped b for a visit and bring their dogs/pups....its quite noissy with the barking, but its a lot of fun to know they are satisfied and the pups are happy. Have gone out to dinner with several of the pup buyers....so have made some friends as well.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 am

Hi guys. Happy November. October was such a busy month here in PA. We seemed to be on the run almost daily. Looking forward to a relaxing hanging out on the farm month.

We had two big Purple Heart events last month. Did a presentation to a patriot's family for a member of the chapter that passed away. It was so nice, a lot of vets & family members showed up for the celebration of Leroy's life and his dedication to the MOPH..

Then we held a bingo at the Lebanon Veteran Hospital. What a fulfilling experience that was. The veterans really enjoy the bingos and gifts our chapter brings for them. Our chapter spent about $900 on watches, sweatshirts alarm clocks and hats for the bingo. Shopping for the gifts was a fun time also, always easier to spend someone else's cash. LOL

Some fool tried to steal our split rail fencing. Ace heard them out there and started barking, I started turning on all the outside lights and they took off. I didn't see what they were up to until morning when I saw the rails stacked up by the road. George now screwed the rails into the posts. They won't be stealing them now. Called the police and they turned it into the newspaper as stolen fencing. Yesterday a attorney called us and wanted to replace the missing boards for us. What a renewal of faith in people, trying to help out someone they don't even know.

We had ONE Halloweener this year. That's one more than we have had in 4 years. All the kids around here are grown up. Oh well, we had already eaten most of the Halloween candy we had bought for the trick or treaters anyway. LOL

Don't forget to VOTE today.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 pm

TRUDY, I voted via early ballot.

Today, here in Phoenix we have "The Honor Flight" headed to D C with WWII veterans to go see the WWII Memorial. The funding is all donation money. Each Veteran has an ""Honor Guard" to help them navigate D C, hotels etc............

The precious scene was the presentation of lunch bags. The lunch bags were made by 2nd & 3rd
graders. They are white with Americana on them...........flags, "We are free because you were brave",
"God bless America", "Thank you for serving"......... The elderly heroes
were in tears and happy at the same time.

Some things just warm your heart to start the day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Graymare, the guy on the Ft. Wayne radio station was talking about their honor flight a couple of weeks ago. He was one of the honor guards. He said the flights get immediate priority taking off and landing at the airports, there are people who serve them well all through the day. The guy he was with had been a pilot. He hadn't flown in quite a few years, so when their plane started down the runway he was really impressed with the speed. The radio guy was so very pleased and honored to have been a part of the whole event.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 9:43 pm

A couple of days ago, I called a guy who does yards, to see if he would come weedeat my hill. He came today just to check out the job. He wound up staying and did the hill. Then he used his heavy duty blower, moved the leaves down the hill, cleared the lower yard, put the leaves on the burn pile. Then he blew the leaves from the upper yard to the street, where I burned them. He wouldn't give me a price, just told me 'whatever I thought'. I paid him well. He did in about an hour what it would take me at least two days to do. It was worth every panny.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 am

GRAYMARE:
I hadn't heard of the Honor Flight, but it sounds very nice.
How is your friend doing?

ELLEN:
Congrats on the leaf moving guy! wavy 
Yesterday I mowed the grass for the last time this year, which also ground up the multitudes of leaves that were on the ground into tiny little bits that are no longer visible. Our yard looks great! I was amazed that the leaves disappeared so well, they were thick on the grass because we had a very heavy frost that killed them all at once and they fell off at the same time. Catawba bean trees have large leaves and we have several of them in our yard.

Today we worked on the woodshed that Donnie is building. We cleaned up the surrounding area and tomorrow will set the poles into the ground. The siding will be easy, Donnie got privacy fence panels that will work for that. The concrete pad was poured last year. We are slow.

A couple of days ago Donnie went down to let the horses out of the barn into the pasture. He forgot he had opened the upper field's gate into our driveway the night before and didn't close it. I went outside a few minutes later and found four horses in the yard under the apple tree.affraid affraid affraid  Our yard is open to the road. After swallowing my heart, I ran to the chicken house, grabbed some chicken feed, and bribed Daisy into the pasture. The others followed her. Thank goodness for greedy Daisys. Rolling Eyes  I suspect Donnie will be more careful with that gate from now on. It didn't do his heart much good either. That is the second time this year that the horses have made their way to that apple tree. Our neighbor let them out once when he was hauling out the manure trailer and didn't realize they were loose in the field. It is fortunate the apple tree is so attractive to the horses!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 am

Here are some reasons I got the new camera. I could not upload them through Imageshack because it kept telling me they were too large, so I did it this way.
https://picasaweb.google.com/ellenclark2/November2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCMyZ55GOguWtFg#
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 pm

wooooeeeeeee......young Max decided to pull a bad colic yesterday, he wouldn't even touch his food, knew something was wrong, and then he laid down and did NOt want to budge anywhere, nohow! Vet was out and tubed oil and gave some good pain meds....we were out there all day with him and Jessi who took off from work....to come be with her baby. Since we lost Nikki, she has just doted more and more on Maximus her baby. (my baby too) Hubby and I slept in the car all night, and about 12:30 he got down again and was thrashing his feet around, we got him back up and gave him banamine, and he seemed fine the rest of the night, not laying down at all, thank heavens.....today we may take him in for some fluids, I don't think he is drining enuf. Sure is scary....we all love that lovable kissable horse.
Trudy, sounds like your group made a lot of people happy, thank you and George! And you, too, Graymare......it's good to have folks who care about our retirees and present service members.
Sunshine today.....love the weather....
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Good Luck with the colic CB ..... such a scary thing ... not to mention frustrating because never have any idea what is wrong...... ackkkkk Saying a prayer for your precious baby!!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Day 16 … On the move again!

If you take the attitude that each new day is an opportunity … and especially so when you are on vacation … then its pretty easy to put ‘yesterday’ behind you and greet the new day with an open mind to new experiences.

We were up before 7:00, got our showers and bags finished packing and were soon seated at our table waiting for another good breakfast and an opportunity to visit with other guests and say good bye!  We determined from conversations that the ferry would leave Aeroskobing at 9:45 and we said our goodbyes and hurried on to the ferry quickly after finishing our meal.  Somebody had been mistaken and the next ferry was at 10:45.  I pulled my cap down low over my eyes and did my “casual look” while guarding our luggage while Carol went shopping for some socks and undies since we had not been able to get laundry done last night.  When she returned from that errand, I stirred enough to let her know that I was NOT part of the permanent scenery and was indeed on guard duty.  She then wrote a few postcards since we were beside a mailbox.

A ferry boat and two train rides and we would be in Copenhagen.  This time, we were prepared to pay for tickets after we boarded the train, but nobody came to collect and that made our first train ride FREE.  A young fellow that was a passenger on that train helped get us on the correct train for the ride on into Copenhagen.  We were thankful for his help as we didn’t have much time to get to the proper track and get boarded.  We had to stand most of the way as the train was full.  A loud drunk carrying hot coffee and Red Bull came staggering up the aisle and being obnoxious.  After several warnings to be careful with his sloshing coffee … he had sloshed some on Carol and three other young people in the aisle … we got the attention of the conductor and he was led off and made to “sit” and be quiet.  In a few minutes, the conductor came back and told Carol and me that we could move up to the front car as there were a couple open seats.  That was thoughtful and appreciated and the seats were “first class.”   The last 45 minutes of our nearly 2 hour train ride was very nice.  There were no other difficulties or incidences on the train ride.

It was pointed out to us in some pre-trip travel info. that there were lockers in the Copenhagen train station to store your luggage.  Yes … but it was actually a bit cheaper and much easier to store them at a luggage check station under the watchful eye of the attendant. I haven’t been able to find a really informative site with a lot of pictures for the train station, but let me say this … we were again impressed with the cleanliness and the friendly people even though the place reminded me of a bee hive:  http://www.copenhagenet.dk/cph-map/CPH-Central-Station.asp.  We had learned from travel videos at home that “right across the street” from the train station is Tivoli Gardens which is the 2nd oldest amusement park in the world.  It opened in August 1843.  It’s founder had said, “Tivoli will never be finished.”  That was not a pessimistic comment, but rather an optimistic one as the park has always been evolving without abandoning its original charm or traditions.  This site will show you plenty of pictures of all ages enjoying the gardens / park.  I, personally, am not too keen about amusement parks, but I certainly did enjoy watching people of ALL ages enjoying themselves. https://www.google.com/search?q=tivoli+gardens+copenhagen+pictures&client=firefox-a&hs=jTo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=K4Z6UvqmAZOvkAeWvIHYCw&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=579 Carol made me ride a ferris wheel and I did enjoy the views from the top.  She rode another ride by herself while I watched people from the vantage point of a comfortable park bench and held her camera bag. (Not permitted on the ride).  After she finally got off the ride, we found something to eat, ( Black Forest Cherry cake for me and amaretto dessert with meringue for Carol), looked in a gift shop, chatted with a clerk and wandered on over to the old carousel.  I agreed to ride that and found a trusty looking horse that looked sedate and calm.  Mounting this horse was a bit difficult as I had to stand on my tiptoes and then slowly let myself down after putting a leg over.  This fire snorting wooden beast might have been all of 8 hands high (32 inches).  Carol rode the giraffe behind a cute little red haired girl about 8 - 9 years old. After the carousel ride, we made our way back across the park / garden grounds to retrieve our luggage at the train station.

We had to wait out front of the train station at the taxi stand for several minutes while trying to decide whether or not to step out into the street and holler “TAXI.”  Fortunately, a cabbie saw us before we did that and soon had our luggage stowed in the back of his Mercedes Benz Cab.  He spoke good English and was quite the conversationalist.  He had “assured us” that we did NOT want to walk to our hotel.  As it turned out, he was certainly correct on that point and we felt … upon arrival … that his fare (equivalent to $17.50 USA dollars) was most reasonable.  And he did NOT accept a tip.  Our home for the night … Hotel Bethel / Somandshjem (Seaman’s home) ...was located on Nyhavn. This site will tell you a bit of history and has some neat pictures along the canal.  Our hotel was Building 22 in the small pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyhavn This is one of the many narrow canals in Copenhagen.  Although the write-up on this site is not glowing with comments and features, we felt the place was VERY clean and surprisingly quiet to be on a city street.  I would happily recommend it to anyone needing a comfortable, CLEAN place to rest:  http://www.eurocheapo.com/copenhagen/hotel/hotel-bethel-somandshjem.html, and the location was within easy walking distance to restaurants for dinner.  Their dining room was not open for dinner meals, but you were welcome to relax there and have a complementary tea / coffee and … are you ready? … sure ? … a complementary “Danish” sweet roll.

Carol went out exploring and taking some photos along the short canal. This site will show you a map of the immediate area.  Remember, we are at the corner of Nyhavn and Havnegade.  The red flag marks the address of Skindbuksen Restaurant where we ate an inexpensive meal that was delicious.  Unfortunately for us … and after we were seated … there were some live musicians who started playing LOUDER than the already crowded, noisy room full of people.  We ate our meal and left.  Check and click on the two thumbnail pics:  http://www.copenhagencafe.com/en/locations/67913-skindbuksen.  On our way back to the hotel, Carol pointed out where we could catch the canal tour boat in the morning.

See you tomorrow….Good night!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks Carol, from Maximus! He is poopin and drinking and doing good....we slept in the car to keep an eye on him and gave him some more banamine about midnight....after that he seemed his ol' self. I am glad I keep that stuff on hand. He is one hungry critter tho, as he can only have just handfuls of hay 3 times a day today....he grabs it before we can put it in the feeder! and chomps it down! poor guy, he can't figure out why he is being starved.

Rick, YUM YUM...you sure ate good! Drunks can be funny or just plain obnoxious!

Jessi is coming out to spend time with her Max....boy I am glad nothing bad happened....after we just lost Nikki....but hers was heart related...she was old, sure miss her tho.

Hubby is napping in the recliner after our long night last night...

I'm simmering spaghetti sauce...and taking it easy myself....this missing out on sleep sure takes a toll on us folks!

Carol, have a safe trip to AZ, enjoy the weather, it has been good here...a bit colder at night earlier than last year, but the days are great!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm

CB, that's good news about Max. Sure glad to hear he's doing better today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

November 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2013   November 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2013
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next