Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

December 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 am

yep, glad I'm where I'm at and not back in Idaho...their temps are dipping into the single digits at night and only in the teens and 20's days.....I'll take our lil cold spells here for a few days instead of months of yucky cold. Got my groceries, tubs are filled to the brim, extra tubs filled, everyone is getting ready for the STORM. Wal Mart was quite crowded today...everyone getting ready....some guy was stocking up on dogfood....his buddy asked him what he was doing, and he said well if his power goes out he always can eat a can of dogfood! OKAAAAY.....I'd rather have cold spaghettios myself, and I must have said it outloud cuz they were both looking at me and then they both took off and lo and behold when I got to the pasta isle there they were stocking up.....seems they have both eaten cold spaghetti before and liked it! I was chuckling as I walked away and left them to their spoils of "hey look at this kind" ....lol
The sick puppy is doing fine today ....thank goodness.....I had gotten a huge bag of IV fluids...4500 cc's...when I left ID.....good thing too. Doxies can't handle the high protein dog food...it really plays havoc on their systems....if they are fed this they need oil in their diets daily. They can get so bad, they will have seizures.....I always give a card with my puppies telling folks this, but....you don't have control once they go out my front door. But I made a believer out of this owner!
ARK, you are doing so great. Is Donnie going to ride with you now that you have two great riding horses? You will have a tough decision on which one to ride otherwise. They both sound like they are becoming great horses to enjoy.

Ol Man:update...I asked Jessi what she ran the mile and half in and she did it in 11 minutes and 36 seconds for her PT test last week. She is definitely way out of my league! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:05 pm

We are getting our Christmas present today. A brand spanking new pump for the septic system. Lucky us...what a great $2000 present.Shocked 

Of all times for it to fry...company coming for the weekend for deer hunting, arriving today and staying until Monday. Of course, our septic guy was deer hunting at his cabin and had to come home so he could work on our system. Never fails...Mad 

RICK: You thought you roof was a crappy present. HAH ours is really a crappy present. LOL

On a pleasant note for today, George brought the Christmas tree down and we have the lights all working. Gotta enjoy the little good things and ignore the big bad ones.

GRAYMARE: Nope, no Tammy Faye Baker eye makeup. LOL My eye lashes would fall off if I tried that look.

ARK: Congrats on riding both horses together. You are going to have such fun come trail riding time.

CB: I didn't know that people in AZ did the crazy store thing when a storm is coming. I thought that just a PA thing. LOL Good idea you gave those guys about the spaghettios...better than dog food anyday.

Love & prayers for all..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Ha, TRUDY, I do make certain my hay/grain shed is full as I don't haul hay in the rain………if I can help it

OH NO, TRUDY. Boy, what horrible timing on that septic mess……Sure hope the job gets done PDQ…………….I'm not nearly as much as you do. We have a septic, too…………

My friend sent me this and I about fell apart………….it's really funny. I always wonder who thinks this stuff up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=_UfwDEbKfNY&vq=medium
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Trudy Merry Christmas on your early present! LOL....what is a septic pump? I know wells have a pump, but didn't know septics did. And woo hoo, if you are coming for a visit, come to the right state, OK....I am in TEXAS! LOL But am sure you could see Graymare and Carole along the way in AZ!

Yep folks were stocking up in case power went off....we filled every available water container, gave fresh bedding to everyone....and stocked up on grain, dogfood, and people food.

We have about half inch of ice, in 30 minutes it sealed our car doors shot. My coat looked like it was starched! It could stand by itself. I was out for about an hour, feeding, watering, while hubby drained all hoses and few other things at the last minute!

I got my injections in my feet ....ouch, and hubby saw his neurologist who put him on some other meds, maybe it will help. HIs memory is a sore subject right now! frustrating to us both.

Well, Everyone take the storm seriously, batten down the hatches....the wind is awful. Our power is still on tho which is a good thing as we had warnings it may not be.

HUGS and SWEET DREAMS to everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 pm

CB, we had the first stretch of that storm the other day…………..cold rain, but no ice or sleet. We are to have round two late tomorrow. Tonight our temps are supposed to fall off (28-30).
Your storm sounds awful right now…………..sleet and ice are wicked……..hope you warm up. Also hope your feet are O K………………….

I did move a bale today in prep for tomorrow……..ready Freddy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Boy, Trudy, what a mess! An expensive mess! Hope you get it fixed before the troops start arriving.

CB, hang on and don't blow away - or slide away.

This afternoon a friend came to help me put lights on my Christmas tree. We didn't get it done, but we did enough that I think I can finish tomorrow. That will be a new track record. I've never been able to get the lights on in less than three days.
Tomorrow, I'll get the sewing machine going and then work on the tree between thread changes.

Of course, I know the status of my tree is endless exciting to all of you. Not. Laughing 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 am

TRUDY:
Ewwwww, that is a crappy Christmas present! ROFL I sure hope it is all finished before your company arrives. Our septic field is downhill from the house, so we don't have a septic pump. At the cost of them, I am happy that we don't!

CB:
You sure have your share of exciting weather this year. No  Do stay warm and safe!
I just saw a photo of a chicken house made all of wood pallets. Apparently there are lots of things you can do with those things. Harry may be onto something.....
No, Donnie probably won't be riding Areion. I wish he could, but the last time he sat on Daisy, his knee hurt like mad for weeks. If he could ride, he would probably ride Daisy, not Areion. She's his mane squeeze Laughing . I suspect Areion and Ivan will trade times carrying me around. I do hope to take dressage lessons on Areion one of these days.

ELLEN:
Yep, I am happy to hear the update on your Christmas tree lights! Very Happy  Now I want to see pix when it is all done. You do put more lights on a tree than anyone I know! And my tree's status? Still in the closet....sigh....

GRAYMARE:
You stay warm and dry, too! We are supposed to get ice pellets on Sunday, I think off that same storm system. We have had two great days of mid-60s and it is going to kill us when the temps drop back down to the 30s all next week. Sad  It's going to be in the mid-60s again tomorrow, but since it will be raining, it probably won't seem all that nice. I have costumes for me and Ivan for Saturday's parade all ready....IF it doesn't rain then.

Okay, folks, I would like some feedback about something. A friend and I watched a video on the internet about how to react if someone tried to grab your horse's reins or you while on horseback. Have any of you ever heard of someone being attacked while riding a horse? We've heard of hikers or joggers being attacked, but never someone on horseback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 am

Am watching Maria and the Von Trapps----

Ellen will you review it for me, I gave up and went to my fireside. I have a new gas fireplace log, Old age caught up with me, Logs got too heavy. Rick-----be thankfull you can still run your saw !!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 am

I did record and watch 'The Sound of Music'. It was a lovely show. No, it wasn't the same as the movie with Julie Andrews, but the story is a good reminder of what happened when Germany took over Austria. Carrie Underwood has a great voice. Yes, it's different than Julie Andrews, but good anyway.

Ark, it's probably been two or three years ago that I saw Rick Lamb do an 'article' on his show demonstrating what to do if somebody tries to attack you on a trail. I have no idea how frequently that happens, but I guess it would be good to have some idea of how you would handle it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:56 pm

YES, THAT HAS happened to us riding. We had a 4H group of kids and four adults out on the trail, some guy appeared and said we were trespassing....we apologized which wasn't good enuf for him, pure idiot he was....he pulled a gun on us....and I was on my big draft/appy cross gelding and I kicked that ol boy hard and he lunged forward and knocked that guy for a loop, Harry and his brother 'tommy who is a good sized man tackled him and took the gun and searched him for more....we left him in the woods not knowing where he came from, and turned his gun into the cops when we got back. I carry my lil derringer with me in my saddle bags or Harry has his 25 automatic.....one of us have a gun anymore. You may want to get a stun gun if you don't want a real bang bang one. we went on a trail ride down here with our group, and for the heck of it, I asked who was packin' and half of us were! Guess no one would bother any of us! LOL
Out riding different times, we have been shot at, once we got too close to a real still in N. Carolina, and once in Missouri, we got too close to a pot growing behind sugar cane...in both cases we boogied as fast as we could boogie....we had some guys in a jeep chase us with guns and we ran as fast as we could thr the Mark Twain National Forest, ducking branches and scraping knees so the jeep couldn't chase after us. So yes, you may think about having some protection with you...just in case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 am

To quote Tom Carnegie at the Indy 500, "It's a newww track record!" I got all the lights on my tree in two days. I really meant to put fewer lights on it this year but I used all the strings of lights I had, expect one. Well.... 100 less is fewer, isn't it?
Sure couldn't have gotten it done without my friend's help yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I will be smilin' tomorrow, it is spose to be 60! Yay! Still cold below freezing at night, but days will be warmer .....we can take the blankies off the horses tomorrow tho....I want them to grow hair to stand the cold, but since it was wet and cold, they got blankets on and had their wind breaks.
Our ice is melting slowly, and I'll be glad not to have to take baby steps anymore....I'm trying not to fall!
Ice was so hard we didn't leave any footprints and Rocky got out and ran around and he didn't either! That was some hard arse ice pack....
Who's ready for spring? LOL I am I am!wavy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:17 am

CB:
I am ready for spring!! It was mid-60s yesterday and 32 degrees this afternoon.  I am already tired of winter! We are supposed to get an ice storm tonight, I hope it decides to miss it.

Ivan was in his first Christmas parade today.  I walked him since I knew he'd be nervous, and he was very nervous.  He never became uncontrollable, but was very forward moving, so wore me out a bit.  I think it would take a 10 mile long parade to slow him down!  This one was only a little over a mile long.   He never freaked out, thankfully, but didn't miss anything with those eyes and ears.  This is the noisiest parade in the area.  Every fire engine, police car, rescue squad ambulance,  Kazim Hillbilly dilapidated vehicle clown , and ordinary antique cars all toot, whistle, honk and shriek.  Then there are the band drums.... Rolling Eyes ...The only noisy vehicle missing this year was the train that usually runs thru town blowing its horn, too.  Ivan took it mostly in stride, but wasn't happy about kids jumping into the road after the candy that Santa's helpers threw off the firetruck in front of us.   We watched clouds of candy flying off that firetruck all down the route.  I did snag a couple of mints for Ivan, and he did eat them, so he wasn't totally out of his mind Laughing .   This parade is on a 2 lane road, so with people lining the sides of the road and spilling into it, the horses have to deal with a lot of action all around them.  Ivan didn't die.  I didn't die.  It was a good parade experience!  He was very happy to get home.

Before parade: Dressed and ready.

During parade

Close to end of parade

End of parade, climbing a hill to trailer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Carol W

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Ivan appears to have a few miles left Ark .... you, maybe not so much LOLOL Practice makes perfect and you will get there, You both looked very pretty though!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:36 am

We survived the big hunting, septic tank nightmare weekend. Chips' son came over on Thursday and replaced the septic tank 1 horse power pump, now in the spring we have to dig up at the sand mound and super flush out some pipes. Thanks to the EPA & stupid government regulations we have to pump our septic water under the road and all the way up behind the riding arena, about 400 feet away from the septic tank. No place on our entire 53 acres would perk except over there. Go figure. But the new houses that are being built at the bottom of the hill can manage to have their sand mounds close to their houses even though they are being built on very wet ground. This is pump number 3 in 20 years.

No deer for the hunters so far. Oh darn. LOL

On a brighter note, this was the Military Order of the Purple Heart Christmas party weekend. It was a good party and everyone had a nice time. The day before the party, one of the guys who was supposed to have a slide show and a Gold Star Mothers video, couldn't come to the party, soooooooo guess who had to take a crash course on his very expensive fingerprint password computer system. I was a nervous wreck, but managed to pull it off. WHEW

Our tree is up and decorated and today I am wrapping presents and getting stuff ready to mail, The big storm missed us, we did get a little snow and ice but nothing like Philly & Pittsburgh. Thank God.

ARK: Great job at the parade, Ivan did good at his first parade.

Love & prayers to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:53 am

TRUDY, all we have here so far is cold nights……………24-31………………Gosh, those guys with clipboards sure are smaaht, right? Holy cow, (no pun meant CB) not a lick of sense left in our government………….
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

SNOOP writes....I ran a special weather predicting special a few years ago for $19.95, but I'm thinking of reducing it to $14.50 for my special Foop friends.

This weather prediction service is guaranteed to be 100% accurate as written and is presented to Foopville residents and friends only.  It is purely the unvarnished truth when I report it!!

Please let me know when you sign up.  Oh...since I'm offering this at a reduced rate, I do require a dozen of homey-baked Christmas cookies as a down payment.  Miss Trudy has her Postal Window open to handle that!

Love to all...SNOOP .... Foopville's BEST ...and only weather guy!! Cool Cool Cool   sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Snoop, I'd like to tell you what I think of your weather production, but I'm not allowed to use words like that here.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

It's been cold here since Saturday. The wedding was very pretty and the reception traditional and the music LOUD.

Ark, next year you can ride Areion and lead Ivan in the parade, or you and Lori can ride together on them. He looks really good; his head is so pretty.

Trudy, I don't envy you the septic problems at all. The government has decided that all the houses around the lakes around here should have a sewer system. Naturally, it's going to cost us big. Lots and lots of us have septic systems that work just fine. But, about 50 years ago, people were allowed to develop lots on dredged channels - 703 of them on 42 acres of channels. Those houses are so low that their septic systems are little more holding tanks that have to be pumped out fairly regularly. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled with decision, but there's not a darned thing I can do about it, but pay. The Amish in the area are ticked off because it takes electricity to make them work and they don't want electricity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 pm

AHHHH go ahead Ellen, I'll let ya ! LOL

Boy today was chilly, when you walked outside it felt like a mist was coming down the air was so heavy with moisture....weird....I had to take a break twice just walking down the hill carrying the grain buckets which it doesn't usually bother me. Everyone got blankets on for tonight yet....and then we are spose to be around the 'freezing mark for night time temps and in the 50 and 60 even for daytime.

My lil doxie I kept out of my litters this fall, he became very lethargic and wouldn't eat or move....he has been a house puppy almost two weeks now. I put him on amoxicillin as I thought maybe he had a cold, I could detect a wheeze with my stethoscope. I forced fed him syringes full of nutrical and warm water, thru his clenched teeth...and gave him IV fluids. After four days he would eat a bite of food but that was all...but by the time a week went by he was eating enuf on his own plus some nutrical to cease the force feedings and IV. Now he is his normal puppy self, bouncing everywhere and chewing on everything and eating everything in site! I think he got pounced on and was very sore or had a pinched nerve. Now try and stop him...my word he is a terror! But it is nice to see him like this compared to looking like he may not make it. His name is Panda Bear, he is a long hair red spotted doxie on white base coat. Red Piebald. and a real sweetheart. He is a lot of fun and follow me to the bathroom everytime I go! There's not much room in there with him at my feet!

Tomorrow we are going to Abilene to get hubbys' xmas present, a Boer billy goat about 8 months old. Let the goat business begin. Merry Xmas to him!
Going to Abilene is a pretty drive, and they have a Kmart there, we don't have one here.

Sweet Dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm headed out of town until Fri……………….take care.God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Irony, The opposite of Wrinkly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 am

ELLEN: Wow! Your tree is spectacular! Congratulations on breaking your record. How is the embroidery going? And are you still working? I continue to think of you when I pass a lake here on my way to the supermarket. And when I pass by my own dear Golden Girl in the barn! I finally put her to bed just three days ago –wrestled her up onto her stand, put Stabl in gas tank, brought her battery into the house, then shrouded her in her cover. How I miss riding her! As it was, I stretched the season a little by riding in the cold, but I was helped in that by quite a few recent days here when the temp rose about 60. Not any more!

ARK Ivan is beautiful! As were both your outfits. I love seeing your pics – and, as usual, admire you for all you’ve accomplished with him and with Areion. The photos of the parade remind me of the last time I hazarded anything like that: 1975 when the Bicentennial Wagon Train came through our town. (This was in Massachusetts.) Some friends and I joined it on our horses, and I remember that we hadn’t gone very far amid all the noise and crowds before my horse reared up something fearful. An old-timer behind me said, “That’s right, keep ’er down, keep ’er down,” as my face disappeared into Sweetie’s mane. That name suited him perfectly, despite that little rear that day. I had him for 29 years and think I didn’t fully realize what a jewel he was. Oh, dad bum it, how nice it would be to be young again!

CB You are an incredible vet! How good that the doxie is on the mend. And I can’t believe that you are having ice in Texas. Isn’t it supposed to be warm there????

RICK – I should have said this long ago, but I read the reports of your latest trip avidly, and you did an excellent job, for which I thank you. Last week, at the monthly meeting of a little book group I attend (we do pot luck, and mostly we eat and laugh a lot, with minimal attention to the book), I found myself telling a friend about your adventures, because she’s of Norwegian extraction, and she and her husband and their two children went to Norway last year. So, you see, though you may be home, you’re tale is still traveling. I hope you’re feeling better.

Snowing lightly here all day yesterday and off and on today, but with accumulations of no more than an inch. Up to now the temperature has fluctuated a lot, and we’ve had no more than a couple of very light dustings of snow that melted right away as soon as the sun reappeared – though I have had ice in the bucket and have seen a sheen of ice on the lakes.. And I wasn’t aware that the ground had frozen solid until I went to dig my carrots. I had to wait until after we’d had a series of rains, when I was able to crack the soil’s surface with a heavy steel shovel and then use the shovel as a pry bar. Temp here tonight, last time I checked, was 29. .. True confessions from a skilled procrastinator…. lol! 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 am

Hi Beech! It's always good to see you. No, I'm not working now. My last day was a bit more than a month ago. I'm still on the staff list for emergency fill-ins. I'm happy I don't have to drive back and forth in bad weather - like today. It's snowing lightly.

Hot Flash has been ensconced in the garage for the winter for a couple of months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 pm

BEECH... you are too kind! Writing those blogs was a challenge at times but was a lot of fun in that I had to do a lot of computer research about stuff we had just seen...I got to do the trip AGAIN by way of writing ad research. I'm happy you shared with your friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:35 am

Doggone you, Snoop. CLOSE THE DOOR! It's 1 degree here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 2013   

Back to top Go down

December 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next