Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2014

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
Beech
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
Graymare
cb
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
cb

February 2014 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am

Graymare, Sweet Pea is doing great, growing and always eating, he's like a lil suction cup trying to get him to let go to take Mom Sassy out for a run....He pops when we get him to let go, he's got a strong sucking reflex...But sometimes he just has to let go! tongue

The other four are becoming lil devils...they love to bite my toes! Mom Curly is out with her buddies, she only does a flyby nursing at best once a day....and she is happy to make a beeline back out the door...I think she is trying to tell me, "they are all yours now, sucka"...they are cute. Just registered them with AKC registry today.

Think I'm going to have an early night, something about cleaning cupboards makes one tired! LOL

Stay warm y'all in the throes of cold and snow still.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am

SUNNY
 Yep, I am going to start a whole new trend in sock wearing....well,  your granddaughter and I will!  Very Happy   The nice thing is, I had another pair socks just like them at home!    cheers 

CB:
 I am sorry Max didn't work out.  I hope he likes his new place.

GRAYMARE:
I think tumbleweeds are the weirdest things. They were all over the year we lived in Colorado, chasing us down a highway and winning during high winds. We used one as a Christmas tree, which lasted overnight. Our cats demolished it. We got up the next morning and only had lights hanging where the tumbleweed had been and a pile of sticks on the floor.

ELLEN:
 Donnie and I visited Black Dog Salvage about three years ago.  We just went to see it, really didn't have anything in mind to get.  We enjoyed going thru all the stuff, some of it very old, some of it very junky, and some of it very interesting and creative.  They had one room with old kitchen appliances like washing machines and stoves that were earlier than any I had seen before. Mostly they had parts of buildings and houses, stained glass windows from churches, and stuff like that.   We ended up buying a pretty mailbox pedestal made of powder coated curly cue metal with the letter "C" on it.  It wasn't an antique, but made by some local guy.   I didn't know they had a show!  I will have to try to find it listed.  I did see them on a show once, but thought it was a one time thing.  They were taking apart an old stable from a resort.  They made out like bandits with the stuff they got.  They even got an antique carriage.

I rode Ivan Sunday while Donnie trimmed ponies.  We did a mile in 9 1/2 minutes again.  That seems to be his favorite speed at the trot.  I let him choose the speed this time, although didn't let him go faster than that.  He could have gone slower.  He didn't even breathe heavily after that mile.  

Poor little Trinket had an abscess!  Donnie ruptured it while trimming her feet.  She is now back to zooming around, so I guess she feels better.   She has had white line in her front feet and I guess infection set in.  Back to soaking her feet.  

Kazi goes to Va Tech tomorrow for her re-shoeing.  I am not looking forward to it.  She is limping worse and they are going to x-ray her feet.  I don't think the news will be too good.  I hope they can stabilize her feet, the new shoes haven't helped.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:34 am

ARK: Nice photos of the trail ride. Amazing that your horses gets cruised across that long wooden bridge.
You can turn off the spell check on the Kindle but don't ask me how to do it. I hate using it for email since it refuses to allow certain words.

GARYMARE: Only 22 more days until SPRING. WOO HOO Praying it gets here fast. This has been the snowiest February on record. WOW We are getting snow right now and more it is on the way for March. Maybe it will be "in like a lion, out like a lamb" March. Something my Gram used to say.

We are busy painting the ceiling in one of the spare bedrooms, the paint always flakes off that ceiling for some reason.. That is giving us something to do while we await spring and warm temps. Got our potting soil and are ready to start the veggies for the garden. Getting a early start on the garden this year.

Time to make breakfast. George is busy getting everything ready so I can make the oatmeal. Guess he is extra hungry this morning. Have a great day everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 am

Graymare, still no baby? Faith is doing a good job of keeping us in suspense.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm

ELLEN
I think Faith is going to be one of those sneaky mares that don't show until they walk out with a foal the next morning! Very Happy 

GRAYMARE
Should we be making guesses as to dates and sex? Very Happy 

TRUDY
We used to keep a little wooden bridge made of pallets and oak boards in the arena to let the horses play on. It rotted away when Areion was still young, but I guess she still remembered the sound. She didn't have any problems with the former railroad trestles we crossed. Apparently she didn't mind the 90 foot heights either. Lori, on the other hand, had a bit of vertigo.
We crossed 4 other bridges besides the big one across the river. That is the worst thing about that trail. You have to get off and lead the horse and it gets old mounting so often. I now have a cute little mounting stool that I carry on the saddle. Ivan is very good about standing while I get on. He will even try to make it easier on me by lining himself up close to whatever I am trying to get on him from. He can be really sweet when he is in his right mind! Laughing 

We are taking Ivan and Areion back there again this coming Sunday instead of having an at home lesson this week. Jane the endurance rider and her Arab gelding, Albert, plan on joining us. Ivan may not appreciate Albert being near Areion.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Sure, ARK:  color, sex, date, time………………….Dad is Buckskin dun, mama is red………….last bred 3-18-13………………….

Obviously, no baby yet…….as anyone knows, God is in the details when it comes to horses………
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:44 pm

We just got back from taking Kazi to VA Tech.  I was really afraid of the worst, and her feet are very frail, but it turns out it isn't her bones after all.  Her hoof walls on the sides have deteriorated, partially from all the nailed on shoes over the years.  Her hoof capsule is not being supported well by the hoof walls.  They trimmed her so that the bones were aligned properly again, and have her in "Soft Ride" boots, which have inch thick rubber soles.  This is what she wore for 7 or 8 months when we first started her with Tech.  Basically, she is starting over.  She limped in there this morning and walked out of there without a limp.  The trick this time is to keep her on level footing and calm, so she does not twist her hoof capsule, until it grows out.  When she feels good, she can be very high energy.  Keeping her calm when she wants to buck and run is not always easy.  She could destroy that hoof capsule very easily for the next few weeks.  After this week, the vet may put her back into glue-on shoes.
 If Kazi wasn't such a sweet horse, we probably wouldn't be funding Tech's next building project.  But she is....

GRAYMARE
Hmmmmmmm....... reddish bay with black points.... Male...Ides of March....4 a.m.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 pm

March 6. 5:30 AM. Filly. Chestnut with at least two white feet.  Very Happy 

Ark, I'm glad you got better news about Kazi than you expected.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Picture Trail wouldn't let me upload a picture I took today because it was too big. There was a car and a truck sitting out on the ice with some ice fisherman today. I've seen a lot of snowmobiles and 4 wheelers out on the ice, but never a car. The ice is probably about 2 feet thick by now.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 am

I'm thinking filly, born March 11 at 5 am and she will be a solid red dun......just wildly guessing.....

ARK, who makes the glue on shoes? I may try a set on my Pally Appy mare....

ARK, we had a rails to trail set up in Idaho it ran about 90 miles....there were treastle bridges to cross and they were also pretty high up....our older friend had his team of mules and they refused to cross, until I took Nikki across first, then they followed behind....bridges were a lot wider than what yours look like....and I never looked down only straight ahead! I can feel Loris' vertigo....one of the bridges was so high, I just said forget it, and I rode thru the river as you could see it was shallow right there....and I got about hallway across and I heard splashing behind me and saw sheepish grins....guess they thought the river was the lesser of two evils on that one. We all started clucking like chickens and our horses ears were spinnin' back and forth hearing that strange sound! We rode 60 miles in 3 days. The catered meals about starved us! LOL We enjoyed it a lot tho.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

GRAYMARE I'm going to guess a filly. Red Dun, star and one anklet sock. Foaling date March 16. Full moon.

ARK I've had a couple of different horses that have had very thin wall hooves that break down easily. I recommend using Farrier's Formula as a feed supplement. It really does take time to see the results because the old shelly hoof has to grow out, but it is replaced with much stronger hoof wall. FF is pricier than some of the other supplements that are similar. I've tried a couple of them but always go back to FF. It really works better.

Oh, I forgot the foaling time, 3:00 a.m.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 am

February 2014 - Page 7 476917990-1796586_666968473367895_1525585755_n
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 pm

February 2014 - Page 7 A147150
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 6:17 pm

ARK, so glad to hear some good news re Kazi….I'm sure you are so relieved……….

I made a file of everyone's guess so far………………...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Just a little neighborhood humor... nothing big. It's been so cold the last several days that Cricket, the neighbors' cat, will yell to be let outside in the morning, but Jamie keeps him in. When she does let him out, he will look around for about 2 minutes and then comes to my door for me to let him in. We talked about it yesterday.
So, this morning, she let him out and sent a text that he'd be over soon. I told her I'd watch for him. Sure enough, about 3 or 4 minutes later, there he was at the door. I let him in and he happily spent most of the day napping on a jacket I laid in a chair. This afternoon, I put him outside and told him to go home, called Jamie and said he was on the way. She let me know that he arrived.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 am

Joy and zippedydoodah!  Laughing sunny cheers I'm on the new computer and it seems to be working better than AOK! More speed and no seize-ups! What a treat!! ClappingHands  ClappingHands  ClappingHands 

ARK I don't know how I'm managing in this weather, either! Lots and lots of swearing!! But, while it's bitter cold tonight, and the path to the barn is still treacherous with ice, the snow pack has shrunk some. I think we may be down to two feet. A friend stopped by this afternoon to borrow snowshoes to go out with a grandson -- this is great country for that, and I'd be out myself if my breathing hadn't gone galley-west. That is both good and bad news about Kazi's feet. I hope the remedy works fast.
I myself am terrible at controlling the worry that goes with those trials; I keep thinking I should start writing horror stories pay, I am so good at imagining and dwelling on the worst. Right now, for example, the outer door to my cellar is blocked by ice so that the only entrance is through a trap door and down an awkward ladder from a tiny room off my living room. So I go down there as seldom as possible, but when I do, I think: What if the trap door slams shut behind me? I could never push it open from below...The phone would be behind me upstairs...Nobody would hear my shrieks...My mouldering bones would be found on the dirt floor in the spring...
Meanwhile (still upstairs and breathing) I'll be thinking of you all on those wonderful trails on Sunday. It's town meeting time in these parts, so I'll be at a caucus -- while dreaming of trotting on open ground.

ELLEN That is a wonderful story about the cat! And I know I've said this before, but I still think of you every time I pass the a certain lake on my way to grocery shop. These days, that lake is dotted with fishing shacks, and I keep meaning to stop and get a picture of them, they are so varied and so colorful.

RICK I love that pic of the cat but for some reason the right side of your pics are always cut off for me, so I don't know what he's contemplating for that groundhog. Is the problem with my computer, or something you can help with? And how are you feeling these days?

GRAYMARE I don't know diddly-squat about genetics or gestation periods, so I'm just going to say: full moon!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 am

BEECH, any guess is as good as another…….Mama mare decides, LOL.

Cats………….aren't they a riot?  They have such funny ways of training people.
And RiCK's cat is on a mission BEECH….it's going to kick the groundhog's a$$ if and when he can find it.  We have sev feral type cats in our neighborhood……..one neighbor down the way feeds sev (none really knows how many) in her garage.  I gen let Addy out for the last time around 9P or so…….on a reg basis she chases cats out of our yard……………..neighbor called and asked me if I would call Addy as she was in her garage with the cats waiting to be fed……………..I was afraid to ask if she shows up every night……………..she told me Addy is always on the chase but shows up and sits waiting for food with them……………..go figure.  Nice neighbor tho, she thinks it's a riot.  Further more, they are without any dogs right now so sometimes her hubs invites her in for T V for a bit………………This is the same house where Piffy and Phoebe would go for treats on their patio when they would eat outside………….in the old days dogs would regularly take shoes off porches in our neighborhood…………pups love those treasure hunts.  Those were the old days and I'm just fortunate that all know Addy and like her.  I could become more responsible and lock her up………….some day I might be writing from the hoosegow……………better me than Addy.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 am

I wonder how the type does that trick…………... Shocked
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Its GREMLINS, Graymare! pure and simple.....they also eat my posts, it doesn't matter what size they are, some make it and some get eaten! Hungry gremlins.....

Beech, put a stick under that trap door....I don't want to hear on the news they found your mouldering bones!

Sunny here today, and warm...this weekend in the 80's!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 am

20 days until spring. But who is counting???? LOL

RICK: That cat looks just like my Sassy Cat, I'm sure she could whip a ground hog in a heart beat. If she would leave the house and go outside, the farthest she goes is out on the enclosed patio.

ARK: That is wonderful your horses just cruise across that bridge. I don't know if I could walk across that bridge myself. High anxiety.

GRAYMARE: I know zip about genetics, since the last foal was a colt, I'm guessing a filly, 1 AM, 3/21, red dun with socks. You can name her Spring...LOL

BEECH: YIKES and double yikes...hope this storm isn't headed your way.

ELLEN: My Gram always said it is good luck when a cat come to your door. Good luck for who? The cat?

We are ready for the next big storm to arrive. Went to Pet Smart and got food for the dog & cats. Gotta have enough food for the furry kids.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Love & prayers...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Beech, I'm glad your new computer is working well for you. That's a relief, isn't it. You do realize that since it's working well, we'll expect to hear from you more often.  Very Happy 

It isn't quite as cold this morning.  Cricket came over, wanted in, walked around the house, got petted a bit, and then wanted right back outside.  So, I guess my luck is limited today.   Laughing 

It's a little warmer, but we're supposed to get snow later.  Big surprise.  not
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm

It's March! Hard to believe when we keep hearing of those snow covered areas. It is time to change the monthly thread. Go to:

https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t30-march-2014#3860

Or go to "Basket" and click on March 2014. See you there! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2014
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7