Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2014

Go down 
+6
Carol W
sunny 57
Rick Angell
cb
Manygatess
Indyapp
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 4:03 pm

November 2014

November 2014 EMLQY9   No
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Okay, here we are in November.  A darn cold one here, too.  So I am posting a warm photo from Key West, FL, of a mounted  policeman and his horse.  If I were going to be a cop, this is where I'd like to do it, with my horse.....I like Key West this time of year.... Cool

November 2014 V039oM
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Chrome couldn't quite get it done today. But it was a good safe and good close race.
By Derby time next year Rosie will be riding a rocking chair instead of a saddle.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 am

Good morning………Heavens, Nov.  Good grief, almost another year rounding the bend.  We are blessed.

Horses aere fine, family is fine, and daybreak/sunrise is upon my day.  There's a cat fight down the way
and Addy so wants to go check it out.  LOL.  Horses are quietly munching.

I had an impromptu Breeders Cup party.  Two friends came to see Eli and asked if I was going to see the race later.  Then the two neighbors dropped in as they were out walking.  Then friend called to ask if I was watching the race.  We gathered some food……ha, one had chips, I had some dip, crackers and cheese, other friends got cookies and brownies, and I had soda and beer…….so there we sat chomping and talking.  It was a fun afternoon.  We even placed bets throughout….high stakes at $ 1.00………
I lost every bet I made.  cheers  I still have my horses, tho, so all wasn't lost.  Fun afternoon.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Ark, Clara asked me to let you know that the site won't let her log in it keeps telling her that her password or user name are not good she says ( help please )
We are still enjoying the cool nights and cool windy days but it is supposed to warm back up to the 80's so I am enjoying it a lot people are now conning down in herds the park is filling up fast now that the first snowflakes have fallen, I tease them that they are the ones that brought this cold front down here with them they just laugh and go about there business have a great week
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 pm

SUNNY:
I sent CB an email with her new password. I suspect she has misused a capitol letter or space in her password or some such thing. It is now reset with a password that I dare her to forget! Laughing

ELLEN:
What did you mean about that jockey riding a rocking chair by next year? I haven't been following her, so didn't understand your meaning. Did she fall or something?

GRAYMARE:
You and ELLEN have such fun neighbors! I wish I did.....mine tend to turn their trucks loose on us.... Rolling Eyes I saw them driving two vehicles down their driveway at the same time today, it gave me the willies!
Did Eli get the Big Snip yet?

SAM/ANN:
Caught you reading! Why not post and let us know how you are? Very Happy We'd love to hear from you here in the backwoods of Foopville!

RICK:
Did you get any snow? We didn't, although we have frozen enough to have, we just got cold rain. It snowed 4 inches in Wytheville, 35 miles from here. Tennessee and the NC and VA mountains got much more. We could see it on the mountain tops surrounding this valley, but it wasn't much there. Today I don't think we reached forty with 30 mph windgusts. It is cold. Tuesday it will be 69! cheers That is my kind of winter weather.

No carpenter this week. He got a lot done this past week, but is going to his main job and giving me a break this week. He is great, but after awhile, I really need to re-boot myself with some non-carpenter time. Donnie is talking with the heat pump guy and trying to get it in so he and Buck can install it soon. Thank goodness for our woodstove, we'd be feeling the cold now if we didn't have it.

It is already dark. I hate it when Daylight Saving Time ends..... tongue

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 8:54 pm

ARK, yes, I have a new gelding.  I just brought him in from the pasture after his exercise……he is fine, sore, happily eating away….no sign of probs at all. This is day 4.  We have two new horses next door so he trots to see them (there stalled) and then trots in….I've ponied him also to get him trotting…………It's also cool now so he is comfortable.  The trick is to keep them moving with no buckng or mad running.
Most lock them up……….I keep mine in controlled settings that keep them going.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Ark, Rosie Napravnik won her race with Untappable on Friday afternoon, and in front of the world and her mother, she announced that her retirement from racing was beginning on Sunday and that she and her husband are starting a family. She is 7 weeks pregnant. A little after next Derby time, she'll be rocking a new baby.
I saw one interview back during Derby time where she said that she would not ride when she had a family. I'm sure that with the winning percentage she's had, her family will be alright if she isn't riding.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 pm

ELLEN:
Oh, well congrats to her! Maybe she will get into training for a few years while the baby is growing up. I suspect the horse bug won't let her be idle from horses for too many years.

GRAYMARE:
Congrats on your new gelding! He won't think a thing about it in a few days. Moving around has got to be good for him, good idea. I don't know what Ivan's previous owner did with him after his Big Snip, but considering how wild he was, I suspect she just threw him back out in the pasture after the vet left. It may have been the best thing for him. The pen she had him trapped in for the surgery wasn't too nice....He came here a month later and was all healed up. His hormones weren't quite through, yet. He and Daisy had an across the fence romance for several months. He still thinks she is the mare for him. He likes tall blonds...

CB:
Try to log in now!

SUNNY:
Sorry about all the snowbirds arriving. I can understand their point of view today! I'd like to pack up my horses and go spend the winter somewhere near Ocala's forested area. Pretty down there. We keep hearing different predictions about how bad this winter is going to be. I hope they are all SOOOO wrong.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 11:28 pm

ARK....show Mr. Ivan this. He may change his mind about the tall blonde!! lol!! I hope there was not any indiscriminate breeding that was harmful to the animals and bloodlines. I'm not very versed about that.

http://www.icetrend.com/the-21-most-unusual-horses-that-make-even-unicorns-seem-basic/

We did not have any snow here. I did see some today when I went to Asheville to go to church with my SIL and one of my nephews. This was a special All Saints Day worship service ... and my brother's name was one of 19 from the church family. I'm truly glad I went ... had a nice meal after church. I didn't get home until 630.

BRRRRR cold (at least for me!!) I know the temps are supposed to warm up, but the wood trailer WILL be parked in the basement this week.

Love to all....Rick and Snoop
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 12:31 am

Those brindals are gorgeous and those chimera are beautiful thank you for posting it Rick
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 12:35 am

RICK:
Wow, those are some great looking horses! I like the chimera. Twins who merge to become one animal, but retain parts of each of their coat colors. I have seen pix somewhere of some pretty spectacular animals that are chimeras.

No indiscriminate breeding here! Areion was DNA tested by the Andalusian registry to make sure she had her official papa's DNA. She did. She is registered as a half-Andalusian/half-Arabian. She would be a much shorter mare if Ivan was her sire Laughing . Strangely, the Andalusian registry checks the DNA of half Andalusians, while the Arabian registry does not check its half breeds to make sure they have any Arabian blood. Kazi was DNA tested because she is purebred, but not Areion or Ivan who are registered has half-Arabs. Ivan is actually 15/16ths pure Arab, but they are only registered as half or full Arabians, so one drop of non-Arabian blood makes him a half-Arab. And that is your lesson of the day Laughing .

There is a big controversy in the Arabian world right now about a pair of reining horses who were registered as half Arabians who won championships without a drop of Arab DNA in them. They were full Quarterhorses who were snuck into the registry. I suspect there will be some rule changes.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Seems appropriate sometimes for this bunch of FOOPS!
November 2014 A173174
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 9:41 am

RICK, LOL, a comfy chair and a good book might be one…………….or coffee with friends at 7A, like today.

Off to pick up a horse about an hour from here…..friend is bringing a horse down and called to ask if I could come that far north and bring him on down………….LOL, bus transfer.  The surprise is, it's Atticus coming home.  His current owner can not afford him as he lost his job. He is now in TX working on pipelines.  Atticus' name is now Isaiah………….I can't wait to pull in the driveway and hear Mama.  I'm excited to have my horse family together…boys in one pasture and Mama in the other minding the fort.
Tonight will be Eli stall 1, Mama, 2, and Isaiah in 3……all lined up………..exciting for this old lady.

ARK, your house is gorgeous and your new window is a great place to watch the snow when it all happens.  You and Kumquat peacefully being lazy in the window.  Ha, sounds good to me.  Add it to the reasons for "lazy".  I prefer to call it peace in an otherwise crazy world.

More later………….
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 9:53 am

Graymare, that is so exciting! I'm sorry that the family were in a bad way and couldn't afford to keep him, but I'm really happy that he's coming back to you. Can't wait to see a picture of him.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am

GRAYMARE:
That is so great that you are getting Atticus/Isaiah back and the man didn't just pass him along to someone else. Do you think you'll keep him or will you find him another home? I can't wait to see how he looks. If you keep him over the winter, you can ride him and let your mare gestate! Very Happy I wonder how Eli will like his older brother.....Should be fun to watch the reunion with Faith's son! Ivan remembered his mother after not seeing her for three years. They got along great on a trail ride together.

RICK:
That last post you sent was made for me. I have a string of things to do today and am sitting here on the computer. Rolling Eyes

ELLEN:
Have you adopted the neighbor's cat yet? I think it is funny how the neighborhood animals come nap at your house! I am off to take Donnie's cat, Mira, to the vet today. She has FIV and lives in Donnie's home office. He picked her up at Hardee's ten years ago and has never had a health issue until now. She has some kind of allergy/rash/fungal infection or something causing scabs and hair pulling. Poor Mira is looking kind of shaggy. Hopefully the vet will figure her out, we have tried everything we can think of, but it isn't working. Tomorrow we take Kazi and Daisy to Va Tech for trims. cha..ching......this week.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Home safe.............no reaction at all..........Isaiah got out of the trailer, looked, I let go of his rope thinking he would eat grass a bit.........he kput his head down for about a minute and walked inbto his stall......seriously.  Just like he never left...............he's dirty (big deal) and his mane is rugged............so what.  He shod and fine.  I'll get the pic off in a bit...........
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm so glad he got home in good shape. The dirt and mane can be fixed with a bath and a brush. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 10:49 pm

November 2014 410318897
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 11:29 pm

It's so good to see him again! I'm glad he's home.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Hurray, he's home! How do Faith and Eli like him? He sure looks grown up....and still a pretty guy!

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 am

Seriously, it was like he never left.  He's been next to Eli, no reaction from either.  They won't literally be in the pasture together until Eli is healed………..Eli doesn't know I'm waiting for him to heal, he thinks he is healed.  Happy as a bug in a rug.  Anyhow, Isaiah gets wormed and shots today.  His teeth will get done when we have the dentist for our neighborhood.  ZZZZZZZZZZZ, that drill is loud.  affraid

Meanwhile, they're out there munching away……………….
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm

HYSTERICAL........I put Isaiah out in the pasture and Eli cried and cried.  REALLY sweet.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Quote :

Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
Someone asked the other day,,
'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?' 
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,'
I informed him, 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?' 
'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained!
'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work,
We sat down together at the dining room table, & if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was & so was bread.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers -- my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5AMevery morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies! There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive. 

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

[size=32]MEMORIES[/size][size=32]:[/size]

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

[size=32]How many do you remember[/size][size=32]?[/size]
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, NOT the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom. 

1. Candy cigarettes
Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephones
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels!![if you were fortunate])
Peashooters
 Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10. 78 rpm records
Hi-fi records 33 1/3 rpm 
12. Metal ice trays with lever
13. Blue flashbulb
14. Cork popguns
15. Studebakers
Wash tub wringers
<> 
If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age, &
If you remembered 11-16
 =

You're older than dirt !!!

[size=32]We might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of our lives[/size][size=32]….[/size]

[size=32]Don't forget to pass this along[/size][size=32]!! [/size]
[size=32]Especially to all your really [/size][size=32]OLD [/size][size=32]friends[/size]

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Yep. I remember all that stuff.

Awwww. Eli didn't want his new friend to leave him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

November 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2014   November 2014 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2014
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 50 Horse Friends :: Basket-
Jump to: