Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2015

Go down 
+6
Indyapp
Rick Angell
Ellen E
cb
Graymare
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
cb

January 2015 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 12:46 am

If ur snowblower is up to it make paths in the outside and turn him loose. maybe just shut him up at night. I think he is bored. hang some milk jugs up so he can nose them but not get tangled in the tie. a horse likes to push things around with their nose. the snow shouldn't hurt him if he's in good health or the cold, but if it rains and is cold then keep him in. we had horses in alaska where it got very very cold...and gave horses free movement all the time. I was always taking warm water out to them...it was a pain..and we would have huge blocks of ice all over that we got out of tubs...I would drag the tub in the entry to thaw and give them water in another one...I remember it being a pain. what we do for our 4 legged babies. I was pg with jaemi, my second, and brought her home from hospital when it was 70 below....ouch. make sure his poop isn't too dry, sometimes they don't drink much when its cold, maybe a lil oil in some grain will keep him moist..I'm afraid to give salt too much when its cold, cuz they just won't take in more water sometimes in the cold no matter what.
There I told u everything u already knew, didn't I? lol they always worry us..that's what we do over our animals. maybe some others will have some ideas.

It was nice here today, almost 50 and sunny. harry had doc appt and he still has bronchitis...on one side his lung is congested....I have a code in my node...so we r both miserable....ugh...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:03 am

BEECH!
Wow. I cannot even imagine that kind of snow. I am glad you are safe and hope you continue to stay that way!

This is my guess about your horse...and is just a guess. I think he is bored and playing with the water bucket. Areion does the same type of thing when she wants out, or fed, or whatever is bothering her. She recently destroyed a large heated water tub she shared with Ivan...$$$...We had to quickly buy another because that was when it was going down near zero the next night.

So I would give Shanti some toys to mess around with, like a milk jug with some treats in it hung from his ceiling, maybe a ball in his stall, or one of those Likit toys. I would also keep a radio going to keep him company. Like I said, this is just a guess..... Keeping him hydrated in the winter is pretty important. We ended up securing the water tub to a wall by tying a flat lunge line around it, then duct taping over the lunge line so Areion couldn't drag the tub around. We also surrounded it with concrete blocks. We are belt and suspenders kind of people. Very Happy Good luck!!!!

Donnie has caught my cold. Poor guy is doing the hacking, sneezing, coughing, runny nose routine. No barn help for me this weekend...

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:05 am

CB
Oops, you posted while I was typing. I guess we agree! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 am

Beech, I'm glad to know that you are okay. Yes, the shoveling and snow blowing are a pain - literally and figuratively. Sorry about your neighbor being out of commission.
We haven't had much snow this winter, but I think that is about to change tomorrow night. Saturday night they are predicting 1-4 inches, and then another 3-6 on Sunday. Travis will be happy, and he'll probably give my snow blower a workout.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 2:21 pm

No C.B, I am not going to do it until I have a doctor lined up and a place to stay until I get a place of my own, Kent has the opportunity to come also just depends on whether he wants to or not, one way or the other I am leaving this place either N.Carolina or Oregon
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Good BEECH that you never lost power..........friend in RI did.  Anyhow, all of you in snow & storm country stay warm and do the best you can.  I hope you get a water solution BEECH.......

SUNNY.  Is cost of living in NC less than FL.......I didn't know that.  It's very pretty there.  Are there jobs where your daughter moved?  Hope so, it all sounds good.

ARK, hope DONNIE feels better................ugh, the "stuff" is all over around here.
So far, so good for us..............

CB, hope you & HARRY stay in and keep warm and rest so you can't get really sick.

Still raining here.  Two stalls done, one to go..........I had to have some lunch.

Yesterday a friend called and I had just gotten in my car to leave for Wally World.
She was stuck in the airport in PHX.....no planes.  So anyhow, went over and picked her up and we had a great quick overnight fun evening and breakfast.  So, LOL, I'm whooped..............Shocked

God bless.  Everyone have a good evening.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm

GREYMARE, the cost of living is at least half of what it is here, rent on a one bedroom house, apartment, or trailer is 300 dollars a month electricity is also reasonably priced the most my daughter's friend pays for heat in the winter is 90 dollars and he has lived there 12 years and the winters have not been bad and not a lot of snow most places allow pets with little to no deposits, my daughter's friend is looking for places for both of us and knows that I have a dog . I am not in a hurry, I want to wait until at least spring or early summer
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Sunny, one good thing about these computers is you can search info on rent and clinics and the location...and get mostly accurate info. I'm always searching things, but for life of me I can not attach a picture, except when I had my big puter and my kodak easy share camera...pffft....good luck wherever you decide.

We got some groceries in and grain just in case roads r bad. monday we r spose to go get more hay. until we make sure fences r right we will be feeding hay and grain..with hubby being sick with this crud its been slow going, but spring is just around the corner....and everyone is doing fine and r safe....we will get caught up when we feel better.

Stay well y'all...and safe and warm.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Today's adventure.........I came n for lunch after 2 stalls today,as I said earlier.
I went back out to do the last stall in about an hour or so.

I walked out (sans glasses) and looked over and Eli was in the neighbor's pasture
way over near the cows playing with them.  I didn't believe it.  Mystery: how'd he get there?  Anyhow, went out and got a halter and lead and went over and rung neighbor's doorbell.  Their older boy came to the door so I asked if I could go in their back field and get Eli.  No problem.

I walked out and when he saw me he came trotting right over.  I haltered him up,
lead him through a big gate and out the driveway and up the road to our driveway.
Seriously, he just calmly lead along like he was 5 yrs old.

I walked the fence thinking it had to be down or something...........no, gates were locked (like with lock & key locks), fence was fine.  He JUMPED it, I found the tracks.
Oh boy, I should be upset but he was so good, I'm thrilled.

Colts..................more fun & blessings than one can keep up with.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:09 pm

LOL, I rang the doorbell..................affraid  affraid   affraid
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:02 am

GRAYMARE
Yikes! I hope he doesn't make that a daily event! affraid It is pretty impressive, though. Either he wants to be in the hunter/jumper crowd...or he wants to herd cattle when he grows up! Very Happy
Not too long after Ivan came here, he jumped the arena fence to get to Kazi and Daisy, who were running like crazy horses in the field. The arena fence is the exact same height as Ivan. If I hadn't seen him do it, I would never have figured out how he got on the wrong side of the fence. Luckily, that was the only time he ever did it and he is much heavier now, so might not be able to anymore. It was a spectacular jump!

SUNNY
Good luck with your search for a new place!! I hope you find the perfect one. Western NC is very pretty. I would like to take Ivan to the Biltmore Estate endurance ride there this spring, but don't know if I can yet.

The thread changes tomorrow. Where did January go?

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 am

Ark, I've ridden ctr in biltmore estates...some good trails with some pretty good hills, but watch for green briars on the trails, roads were clear...there was a long bridge to go over and a railroad tressel, very safe tho. my horse pulled a shoe and bent it almost in half and yes we were on the ground both of us....boy you talk about one second riding along and the next being flung to the ground and that dang briar still didn't break even with my horses weight pulling...we did finish the ride came in 3rd in condition, vet thought he would be sore footed on that foot but even using hoof tester, he was fine. I even placed in horsemanship. its beautiful there for sure...but I know the areas near there r spendy to live...we went to a private ranch with a really nice stable and great high lofted accommodations .....trying to sell us land and we could bring horses to ride trails....great weekend, but couldn't afford the stall let alone the land....or to build one of their houses...oohlala!

Graymare, I wouldn't worry about your tenses...I screw up so much , and won't even mention my spelling....but as long as y'all can make sense of my ramblings Im happy, and I enjoy everyone's posts!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:37 am

Not only pretty, but athletic too. And his cowhorse breeding came through loud and clear. Impressive jump, though.

Back in the dark ages when I had a QH, I rode him as a hunter, and even went foxhunting with him. He was good at it. One day, he was tied to a fence that was about 4 feet high with approximately 2+ feet of line between his halter and the knot. I left him for just a few minutes. When I came back he was standing on the OTHER side of the fence, perfectly calm, relaxed. There was nobody else around who might have been playing a prank on me. So, somehow, he managed to jump the fence with no damage to the fence or him.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 10:25 am

This morning looks a lot different than last night. It's a lot whiter. Overnight we got maybe an inch. In the last hour another 2-3 inches have fallen. Since it's a wetter snow, the trees are all covered in white lace. Pretty morning. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:24 pm

At 11:05 AM. the "official" temp here is 50F and its supposed to go up a bit more. I'm SO READY for some warm, spring like weather.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Absolutely fogged in here, very rare.  51 degrees.  The fog will lift by noon or so as storm front is headed out........no rain today.

No, I'm not going to the Super Bowl game.......we are having a few friends in, if they leave home............
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Perfect sunny afternoon, about 70..........

cheers    cheers    cheers
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 8:03 pm

We got up to 50 degrees this afternoon with a smidgen of sunshine occasionally. It was fairly nice. I managed to get groceries, feed store stuff, hay from the garage to the barn, barn cleaned with big stalls freshly bedded, and all before it started raining around 5 pm when I put the horses to bed. Very Happy A productive day. Donnie snoozed in the car while I did shopping so he wouldn't spread the joy that is this miserable cold we have had. I am about over it, he is still in the disgusting stages.

Hope everyone is having a good time watching the Super Bowl! It's not my thing, so it doesn't bother me that I can't watch it on t.v. I have seen the new Clydesdale commercial, which is about the only reason I ever watch the Super Bowl anyway. Very Happy

Time to change the monthly thread! January is history. Go to: https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t41-february-2015#5399 or go to Basket and click on February 2015.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2015   January 2015 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2015
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8