Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

April 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Ark and Donnie and family, peaceful thoughts for you all.

Beech, that is a smart lady. she shows worlds of compassion and honest insights.

GM how is your friend who was hurt? I hope she is healing quickly and doing well.

Trudy, that's too bad about your GDS arm/wrist, its got to be disappointing for her.

Well, I made sloppy joes for concession tomorrow...and with hot dogs and soda that is all we r having. it is spose to rain....ugh...wet auction.

Hope we don't drown....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:57 pm

With all the rain they say we are having in my corner of Florida we still have to see a drop some places are getting 2 and 3 inches it seems to just go around us. We need the rain our lawns are turning brown with the near 90 degree temps, sloppy Joe's sound yummy , I have been eating chicken, tuna fish, pork, have fun at auction
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:24 pm

ARK & DONNIE...........peaceful happy memories to you & your family
regarding SCOTT.  What a sad situation.  God rest his soul.

CB, hope your brother's auction went well despite the rain.  My friend is improving each day.............she is bruised and weak but will be fine in God's good time.  I don't have any idea how my other friend's dispersal went as I was involved in another friend's wedding.  Couldn't have gone anyhow as it all seemed such a surprise and sad.  I will see her a lot this summer so I will find out more then.  My 3rd friend is, so far, laying back and waiting for her first
nice severance paycheck.

The wedding yesterday was gorgeous, perfect weather, sunshine, great food, music, dancing etc...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Graymare, I'm glad to hear that your friend is doing a little better now, and will continue to pray for quick healing.

It is raining today, so I'm in the midst of making a lollipop tree. Use a Cricut cutter and make colored paper flowers. Buy a whole box of a hundred Tootsie Pops and a stack of floral foam. Hot glue the foam together. Then make a hole in the middle of the flower, curl the petals, and put the stick of the sucker through the hole. Then push the stick into the foam form. Put them very close together since you are going to need 80 of them. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.......
Thank goodness I decided to start early on this project. It's going to take a little while.
One of my neighbors saw the one my cousins made for me and wanted one for her husband's 80th surprise birthday party in May. So, I told her I'd do it for her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:34 pm

I HATE wearing a hat!!!

Grettel got a new hat from the table decor yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:09 am

She is still about the cutest dog I know of. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 am

Speaking of dogs....my poor Lucy just came in with one side of her face sporting porcupine quills. I was able to pull out about six until she got wise to how much that hurt. Sigh...BUT, as luck would have it, we've already got a routine appointment lined up with the vet tomorrow morning, so off we'll go, maybe a little earlier than planned? Lucy is the new rescue dog, arrived from Georgia just five weeks ago. Other dog, Lily, experienced in these matters, untouched -- and I know she met the porcupine, because she remained outside alone for a long time, trying to stare down the enemy, whose fat self I could see right under the stairs to my deck. Enemy didn't budge. Smart dog.

ARK, my thoughts with you and Donnie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:10 am

Awww. Poor puppy. I hope she learned her lesson and will leave porcupines alone next time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

Auction is over....we 3 came home with tails draggin....we left here at 7 am got home at 1030 pm.....toted stuff, cleaned floors, bathroom, opened concession at.noon ran it until 6 when it was over...then toted and cleaned the house which didn't sell, he will have to do owner financing I'm afraid conventional won't do it. he even sold his bed the dummy and won't come up here until he sells house. men! brothers!

We were so tired we didn't even eat anything before we went to. bed......not doing that again...too dang old to get that flippin tired out.....

We were grateful that the rain held off tho...next few days lots of sunshine....

Gm glad your injured friend is coming along.

Ark and Donnie, sending you quiet peaceful vibes to get thru some tough days ahead...

Just sign me old and tired, but at 11 you will find me out hunting morel mushrooms....we just need a day to relax and have fun....doing nuthin but enjoying the outdoors and life.

Later taters!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Good girl CB...........enjoy the day!

BEECH.............the WORST!!! Dogs, ya gotta love em........Hope poor Lucy is fine by this afternoon. Give us a report.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Poor pooch, BEECH.....That has to be very painful.  I saw an episode of The Incredible Dr. POL awhile back that had the same dog coming in to have quills removed on multiple occasions.  I hope your dog learned the lesson after only one time.  We don't have porcupines here, thank goodness.  

GRAYMARE
Grettal is so cute! I remember her as a tiny puppy at the KY Foopfest, I think in 2004! Is that right? She looks very happy!
CB
 You are working too hard again.  You are retired! Very Happy

Thanks for the kind thoughts about Scott.  We went to the service yesterday.  I have been to a lot of Coleman family funerals in the past 40 years, from  grandparents on down the generations.   Some more interesting, or astonishingly aggravating, than others.  This one was about the nicest.  It was in a little church set in a forest of big trees, out in the country on a little winding, hilly road.  The service was pleasant and sincere, the Color Guard led by their uncle was very moving.  After it was over, about 25 family members had dinner together at a nice restaurant and visited with folks they hadn't seen in a long time.  It was a good way to see Scott off.....

Thunder Puff spent the afternoon mostly in a cat carrier in the car.  It was cool and rainy all day, so the car was comfortable.  He is getting good at traveling.  

Donnie has the day off today.  We went out for groceries, then bought a large cage for the kitten to be in while unsupervised.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 pm

We just got back from a fun trip to HERSHEY, Pa for a CELTIC THUNDER concert! (Thanks, GRAMARE, for introducing me to that group ... CAROL as become a real groupie!!) We took Kid Cameron ... the concert was Sunday night. We drove up Saturday ~ 7 1/2 hours and went through Chocolate World and did a "tour" of the town on Sunday. We changed hotels and were within easy walking distance for the concert. Also, second hotel had an indoor pool and Cam got to swim before the concert .... and again briefly this morning before we left to return home. This was out "third" concert and Cameron's first. He LOVES the music, and does a good job of singing several of their songs ... carries a tune quite well!!

ARK, Carol and I were certainly thinking of you folks as we passed on the highway. I'm sorry for DONNIE's / your loss, but glad its over for Scott and the family. BTDT with my parents and also my brother Don last August.

My news: I'm going to start driving again whenever Boss can get a truck road worthy. I do NOT want to do this, but Kid Cameron's mom needs some $$ assistance beyond what we are able to do "normally". I expect I'll be driving for at least another year or so IF I AM PHYSICALLY able to do so. I would appreciate some "good thoughts & prayers." I'll be 70 1st of June ... certainly not a wild youngun anymore to be pounding the pavement!! It will be a few weeks yet before this starts.

My love to all....

Rick

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Ack nice looooong post went to cyberland...

Ark, sounds like a nice service, and pleasant ending memories.

Beech, ouch, poor dog.

GM, we went shroom huntin today. I drug my sneezing and runny nose bod out there in the ticks.....oh yes, such lovely lil critters, can anyone tell me what good they do? ugh!

Glad the auction is over, brother is a procrastinator from way back....I would rather pack up and move than have an auction. NEVER AGAIN!

Well later taters...wer having morels for dinner tomorrow....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Tonight is Tuesday night 1/2 price pizza night. YUM. I got a small 8 inch. Enough for supper tonight and lunch tomorrow. Very Happy Nice visit with all the neighbors too.

CB, how were the morels? My parents used to go mushroom hunting when I was a little kid. I didn't mind the hunting part, but they just didn't look like anything I thought would be edible then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:22 pm

We will have them tonight will let u know. hubby and I have colds again.....anyone have ANY ideas what we can take to help prevent these miserable things. I take zinc, vitamins both of us....I think ciggarette smoke started mine....ugh.

Rick, I feel for you going on the road again. at any age its tough job.

Been lazy, drinking lots, not eating much....feeeeeeelin uckie.

Y'all take care and sweet dreams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 pm

We will have them tonight will let u know.  hubby and I have colds again.....anyone have ANY ideas what we can take to help prevent these miserable things.  I take zinc, vitamins both of us....I think ciggarette smoke started mine....ugh.

Rick, I feel for you going on the road again.  at any age its tough job.

Been lazy, drinking lots, not eating much....feeeeeeelin uckie.

Y'all take care and sweet dreams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:52 pm

CB, I don't know how to prevent colds, but for me, Zi-Cam does seem to shorten the length of a cold. You have to start taking it at the first sign of a cold. It's a chewable thing that doesn't taste bad at all. I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Air-borne helps prevent getting them.
Hope you get some rest and feel better fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:11 pm

BEECH
How is Lucy doing?

CB
Sorry about your cold. I am a big believer in vitamin D, but got two bad colds this past winter. I don't usually get two, but there are some wicked strains running around. Hope you get better soon!

ELLEN
That pizza sure sounded good......It is diet day today. Cat food sounds good, too.... Rolling Eyes

RICK
I hate that you are going back on road. I hope it won't be full time, or for very long. Will it be thru here? Maybe we can catch up with you on occasion.

GRAYMARE
How is Eli doing? Have you been doing any training with him?

SUNNY
Does your daughter still like her new state?

TRUDY
Donnie said to thank you.....Thanks, we got your card. It was very nice of you!

I went to the physical therapist yesterday. I got a new one who seems more talented than the earlier ones. I had about decided to give it up, but this fellow, Tim, worked differently. No needles this week. I was all prepared for it. I think I will continue with it for another couple of weeks. Tim did suggest I stay off of the horses for awhile until we figure some things out. I hate that, but it might be wise for the time being. I think I will start doing some ground training with Areion.

Thunder Puff ate some soaked Kitten Chow with his formula and rice cereal lunch today! Our baby is growing up fast.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Yes Ark, Jodi loves it there now that everything is greening up and trees are budding and flowers growing she is enjoying it plus she got a cool job working for a resort on the lake as a reservations clerk, in her training they took her to all there properties, they have one in Georgia, Tennessee, north and south Carolina, they rent cabins at the lake and houseboats on the lake plus she gets a real good discount on renting either a cabin or houseboat so yes she is excited
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 pm

ARK ... I have NO IDEA where / what I'll be doing. It'll be like a new surprise to me. I do hope for some l-o-n-g distance runs instead of shorter / more localized stuff. Carol. Cam & I stopped at ARBY'S in Dublin on our way northbound to PA. I told / showed them where I used to park when we visited in the past, and hopefully will get to do so in the future. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 pm

SUNNY, I'm thrilled for your daughter. Sounds good. Hope you can move there soon.

RICK, I, too, feel for you going back out on the road. Praying you don't have to do those really long runs.

ARK, let's see. So far, Eli can halter, lead & tie well, lift his feet well, easily be groomed (I haven't clipped him yet) and had his first bath a week or so ago......I did not have a camera as I can't do both and most of the time (almost all of the time) I'm alone. I cleaned his sheath yesterday for the first time. He also goes in & out of the trailer. And, LOL, he knows it moves, but doesn't seem to mind riding about the hood. He was a hit at the bank. So far, he's only had the one trip due to my laziness. He mainly eats and grows and I'm happy with that. Oh, he can wear my dressage saddle. He wears a fly mask. That's it. Forgot, he poops well. Faith is o n welfare and Isaiah is working nicely. He's My gang gets shots next week. Sounds like Puff is going very well. Hope your PT guy gets you in working order for riding season.

BEECH.............has Lucy recovered from the vet and p needle removal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 pm

RICK, glad you & CAROL like Celtic Thunder..........really great entertainment........happy happy, good music & talent.

CB, any better yet?

No news here........going to Mustang Makeover tomorrow around 6A.
I have to be home by noon so can't see a lot. I'm going to make sure to see it on RFD if they show it.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 am

I'm doing better but now chris and harry have it.....and harry has chigger bites from mushroom hunting....and I didn't like them...funny texture....like octopus...unless u fried them hard then they were rubbery lil pieces.....ill buy them at the grocery store and get the button kind with the caps...I really like them. chalk it up to something we hadn't ever done, we did it.

Ark one day maybe you can come and do a week long ride at emminence mo. they have meals, camp spots, horse stalls and great entertainment...we should have a foop fest.

Calling all foops and foopettes....

Well sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Oh what a beautiful morning..... Oh what a beautiful day.....
It was rather cold this morning, but warmed up and was nearly 70 this afternoon. I took a chair and a rake to the bottom of the hill to burn some leftover leaves. It was so peaceful and quiet - until the neighbor decided to mow his yard. But, it was so pleasant I didn't even mind that noise. I still have more leaves to burn - tomorrow or Sunday or whenever. I never get quite as much done as I'd like since I keep the fire small enough that I can control it easily.
Rain is supposed to be coming again this evening or tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 pm

I got this in my e mail today from a friend, good info:
You may have read this info a longer time ago but always good for a reminder.
1. Let's say it's 7.25 pm and you're going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.

2. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

3. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up in to your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home.

4. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.

5. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE?
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedlyand very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

8. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.

9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!!

10. A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life.

11. Rather than sending jokes, please ... contribute by forwarding this email which can save a person's life....

12. If this message comes around to you more than once, please don't get irritated - you need to be happy that you have many friends who care about you and for being reminded of how to tackle heart attacks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks, GM. I have a lot of experience in coughing so I'm prepared! Now if only my memory lasts long enough to rise to the occasion, too! lol!

Lucy is just terrific! Back in high form, racing and playing hide and seek and tumbling wildly, over and over and over again, with Lily (other dog) -- though we did have to return to the vet the next morning for a quill they'd missed. And her keeper (that's me) is, as we speak, clutching a heating pad to her back for a strain (I HOPE it's not another vertebra pale ) gained from Lucy's straining at the leash.

Or maybe it was leaf-raking that did it -- or worsened it. ELLEN, we're not allowed to burn here, so I use my trailer and golf car (the poor woman's tractor, I call it) to trundle front-yard leaves off to a pile near my back-yard garden beds for composting. Though snows here are finally almost all gone, just three days ago I unearthed ice beneath the leaves I was raking, and yesterday I could still see a bank of snow sheltered by woods behind my neighbor's house. But GRASS! I also saw GRASS here yesterday! WHOOPEEEEEEEEE!!!! :dance: And the daffodils are up! And the maple trees are blossoming!

RICK - I hope you get only the trips you want and like, and that you don't overdo it. And that that work won't interfere with the jokes!

CB - I used to swear by Echinacea and Vitamin C to stop a cold at its very first appearance, then switched to Airborne a couple of years ago, and I really think both worked because I went two years with no cold --though the Airborne finally did let me down this month. But it also helps to be a recluse! And to wipe down supermarket cart handles before touching. And eschew kids and hugs.... ROFL Ha, ha...

SUNNY Your daughter's experience makes me want to move there, too. What a great job! Good for her! ClappingHands ClappingHands

ARK I am empathizing with you over not being able to ride. That must be hard, especially at this time of year. Hope that the new therapy pays off, and the resting. I think I've already reported the success I had with osteopathic manipulation for my own back problem, so can't resist suggesting that again. It was utterly painless, indeed actually imperceptible, and kept me from the surgeon's knife. And the cure has lasted.

No scooter riding yet, because, on the one gorgeous day we had, when I took Golden Girl out for its maiden voyage to do an errand at a town six miles away, it sputtered there and died on me. I called a friend to come rescue me, but while I was waiting for him, GG recovered and got me home. Where the friend didn't see GG parked in the yard, went right past and had to be chased, by car, all the way to the other town.

Now I can't ride her until I get her fixed and inspected, and I can't do that until I buy a trailer and get a trailer hitch installed on my new (to me) car to get it to the garage, and I can't do that until the mortgage company that just granted me a reverse mortgage mails me its welcome package. Call me CHAMPING AT THE BIT. rear
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   

Back to top Go down

April 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next