Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

April 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Beech

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks, GM. I have a lot of experience in coughing so I'm prepared! Now if only my memory lasts long enough to rise to the occasion, too! lol!

Lucy is just terrific! Back in high form, racing and playing hide and seek and tumbling wildly, over and over and over again, with Lily (other dog) -- though we did have to return to the vet the next morning for a quill they'd missed. And her keeper (that's me) is, as we speak, clutching a heating pad to her back for a strain (I HOPE it's not another vertebra pale ) gained from Lucy's straining at the leash.

Or maybe it was leaf-raking that did it -- or worsened it. ELLEN, we're not allowed to burn here, so I use my trailer and golf car (the poor woman's tractor, I call it) to trundle front-yard leaves off to a pile near my back-yard garden beds for composting. Though snows here are finally almost all gone, just three days ago I unearthed ice beneath the leaves I was raking, and yesterday I could still see a bank of snow sheltered by woods behind my neighbor's house. But GRASS! I also saw GRASS here yesterday! WHOOPEEEEEEEEE!!!! :dance: And the daffodils are up! And the maple trees are blossoming!

RICK - I hope you get only the trips you want and like, and that you don't overdo it. And that that work won't interfere with the jokes!

CB - I used to swear by Echinacea and Vitamin C to stop a cold at its very first appearance, then switched to Airborne a couple of years ago, and I really think both worked because I went two years with no cold --though the Airborne finally did let me down this month. But it also helps to be a recluse! And to wipe down supermarket cart handles before touching. And eschew kids and hugs.... ROFL Ha, ha...

SUNNY Your daughter's experience makes me want to move there, too. What a great job! Good for her! ClappingHands ClappingHands

ARK I am empathizing with you over not being able to ride. That must be hard, especially at this time of year. Hope that the new therapy pays off, and the resting. I think I've already reported the success I had with osteopathic manipulation for my own back problem, so can't resist suggesting that again. It was utterly painless, indeed actually imperceptible, and kept me from the surgeon's knife. And the cure has lasted.

No scooter riding yet, because, on the one gorgeous day we had, when I took Golden Girl out for its maiden voyage to do an errand at a town six miles away, it sputtered there and died on me. I called a friend to come rescue me, but while I was waiting for him, GG recovered and got me home. Where the friend didn't see GG parked in the yard, went right past and had to be chased, by car, all the way to the other town.

Now I can't ride her until I get her fixed and inspected, and I can't do that until I buy a trailer and get a trailer hitch installed on my new (to me) car to get it to the garage, and I can't do that until the mortgage company that just granted me a reverse mortgage mails me its welcome package. Call me CHAMPING AT THE BIT. rear
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:43 pm

GRAYMARE
That is such important information. I had seen this awhile back and have actually done it. One thing my weird, and nearly fatal, illness left me with was heart arrhythmia. For awhile it was frequent enough to keep me on blood thinners, but the frequency has reduced to almost none now. I had two bad episodes that I used the coughing technique and it kicked my heartbeat back to normal. Thanks for sharing this!

Eli is coming along great! Did he like his bath? I remember he liked puddles. Smile

SUNNY
I am so glad your daughter likes NC! It is so different than FL. Those curvy mountainous roads are not for everyone, but it is hard to beat the scenery, especially in the spring.

BEECH
Poor back! I hope the heating pad does the trick. My new P.T. guy, Tim, thinks my problem may be arthritis in my hip joints. My back is fine. He did a better job than anyone I have seen so far. I am feeling better today than I have in months, which, of course, makes me want to go riding. Wink He will recommend x-rays if I don't improve in a couple of weeks, then we will know for sure if it is arthritis. I suspect my riding will be confined to just walking this summer after I start doing it again. Trotting on Areion was the last straw, she is wider and has a very different kind of trot than Ivan. I am beginning to see why so many older riders are going with gaited horses. Daisy may have to step up to the plate....lazy beast.

Rainy and cool here today. Our lower hayfield is ready to be mowed if the weather would cooperate. It is perfect horse hay length right now. Our upper fields need more time. Donnie is ready to make hay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 am

It was 70 degrees yesterday and sunny with a gentle breeze and there was an auction in elkton 2 miles from where we live so we packed a lunch and off we went....just to be in the fresh air helped us immensely. harry got a big box of new screws and nails for his building projects for 5 bucks, chris got a box of books and box of puzzles for a few bucks, me I saw the cutest ceramic EYORE about 8 inches tall and couldn't resist for 2 bucks....what can I say. all in all a good day. guess what, there isanother auction today about 12 miles from us....teehee....yep, u guessed it, we r going to it. here we work on the place during the week and play on weekends....we really like these auctions.

We r all working on getting over our colds. ucky things.

Beech, there is a rolled nylon harness made by PAWS at petsmart is where I got mine for about 20 dollars, no more straining or pulling on leash or u....lots of control. I have used them for years now training great danes to a leash and its a great buy. don't get flat nylon not as effective. these come in a smallish cardboard box that hang on a hook, in with the other leashes and harness aisle, they work by putting pressure under the front leg where a nerve is close to the skin there. usually after one time of being pulled up they behave very well and I've never had any problems...so much better than being yanked on and having a dog that could get into trouble, by smelling another dog that may not take kindly to it with u at end of leash. I reccommended these to folks all the time and to folks who purchased a puppy, and when I saw owners bringing pets to the clinic that were being yanked around. I received lots of thanks! lol. good luck, she sounds very energetic! and cute. course I'm a sucker for most any dog....sigh...and I'm afraid I can't be helped....

Later taters, have a great day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:11 pm

CB, good info.

BEECH, so glad Lucy is fine now. As for your back, just keep up the good work.

ARK, "did Eli like his bath?" I waited til it was hot. He's been playing with the hose at the big water tank when I clean & fill that, so the hose and water was not new..........an entire body rinse in the wash rack
didn't bother much. I've been taking him in the wash rack since he learned to lead. All this bath was was a rinse and stand quietly. Did he like it? I have to laugh. I did't care much as that's not what I was thinking. He has to learn it and he did well. But, I guess he did as it didn't upset him at all. And, he has the "back to the pasture" roll down perfect. So, the real joke is on me. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes My bath was fine, too. I didn't roll in the pasture, tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Chilly & rainy all night last night. Rain on & off today. Nice quiet Sunday with yummy apple pie. Slow day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Slow day here too. Church early. Came home and made some chicken salad for a later lunch. Too windy and chilly to do much outside. Watched the NASCAR race and then some other fairly bad TV.
I did start planning some of next year's Christmas presents.... maybe some lace ornaments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:58 pm

We had a very wet, cold weekend.  I just about froze.  Thankfully it is getting better out this week, we have been about 10 degrees below normal lately, and then some.  

We did get things done around here, despite the rain, though.  We moved all the rest of the hay from the garage shed to the barn.  Not much.  I have about 2 weeks worth on hand.  If Donnie can get our lower field done, we won't have to buy anymore for awhile, but so far the weather isn't staying warm and dry enough.  

ThunderPuff is doing great!  He has been so much fun. Here is his "Reach for the Sky" pose:

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm

You're right. Those kids are NOT slow! They are really good.

Thunder Puff looks like a happy baby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Awwwwww. Baby Puff is growing like mad............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:51 am

Excellent leash suggestion, CB. Thank you!

GM Those jump-roping girls were extraordinary! I couldn't see any identification. Do you know who they were?

Lots of April-shower days here, where the forecast hast been gloomy but, right here in my spot at least, there's been more sun than rain -- some beautiful weather, actually, with wind and high-flying clouds and lots of variety. Leaves on the lilacs are mouse-ear sized, and the hills are starting to redden with massings of red-maple blossoms. Next comes that time that I love, when that scene turns gauzy with newborn leaves in multiple shades of gold and green.

On Sunday, rode the Ruckus next door , where, yes, there really still is a pile of SNOW!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Ark, ThunderPuff is such a cutie and doing so well we are wet today and tomorrow then a cool down a break in this hot streak welcome for sure
Well I finally got a smart phone I got the brand new galaxy s6 and am learning it slowly they don't give owners books anymore and there is limited Info on line but am having fun exploring, it does everything my kindle does and more don't think I will ever use all the things it does
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Sunny, Samsung usually offers classes on their new phones at Best Buy. You can call and ask them when the classes will be held.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:49 pm

Thank you Ellen, I will go there and hopefully sign up for a class
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 pm

SUNNY
Congrats on the new smart phone! And good luck figuring it out Very Happy . I have a stupid phone that looks sort of like Captain Kirk's communicator. Twenty bucks from WalMart. Rolling Eyes I figured if I lost it, it would be no big deal. I have had it for five years. I don't think I will ever lose it, it sticks right with me. It works fine, so I have no excuse to get a better phone. My sister, Annie, has lost at least 4 phones in the same time period. She has a very nice new phone. Somehow I think I don't have as good a system for new electronic devices as she does..... Her last one she dropped out of the car door into a puddle by accident and then the car ran over it. That phone was definitely a goner.

Darn, I can't get anything to play that video, GRAYMARE. It says I have to install some kind of Flash program. I'll try my iPod.

Very pretty day here, but still a little chilly. I was busy from daybreak until dark. My P.T. went well. Tim says I can ride Ivan carefully this weekend after one more session. wavy I will just walk him. I get re-evaluated next week. The muscle is definitely better, but not totally back to normal.

Then I dashed home, cleaned the house and barn, ran back to town and met a good friend who was here on business from NC, had a great lunch at Macados, then brought her back here for a few hours. She owns Arkady' s sister, who is now 20 years old. We had a nice afternoon catching up.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Ark, sounds like a busy, but nice day. Enjoy your ride this weekend.

Beech, I like it when the trees start getting fuzzy in the spring too. Instead of the stark bare limbs, the little buds start coming on and add some soft color to the spring scene.

Today was another super nice day. I burned a few more leaves and then babysat with the girls. The 16 month old made it very clear that she wanted to go outside and blow bubbles. "Bubbles" is her first understandable word. The three year old ran and ran and ran, then settled in the house and went to sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I hate my smarter than me smartphone......I can do basic and am still learning. good luck Sunny.

We r getting over our colds finally......getting some stuff done around here. enjnoyed auctions both sat. and sun.

Our last pg doe had her baby today. he was a big baby...we had to pull him..and I had to reach in and get one front leg and shoulder out at a time. want to see something spooky and scary....she had his front feet and the whole head out and his eyes were open and he was looking around like OMGGG.....WHAT THE HE!!. we were chasing her down trying to help with this poor kids head stickin out the back end....probably would have gone viral on fb, huh. poked her with some oxytocin to help make contractions stronger and noticed the kid was now in distress, so tied a hay string to front legs and tied to a tree and reached in there where the sun doesn't shine while hubby held onto ginger and when I freed the second shoulder she spit him out with great force hitting my knees and down went baby and I. I sucked mucus out and stimulated by rubbing hard and he screamed at me. we promptly named him rick! he was sitting like a dog nursing away with a milky mustache....his legs were cooped up in small spot. he is walking almost normally now...nursing great. he's bigger than the triplets born 3 weeks ago. he is a big buck from a smaller mama...no wonder his legs were cramped...and no wonder she needed a bit of help!
Awwww, a day on the farm.

Sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Yikes, C.B.!!
Congrats on the new baby goat, he sure had to work to get here. affraid

I never had a kid that was that big, but did have a tangled pair of twins once. We had just installed a baby monitor in the barn. It was turned on as I went to check on the pregnant nanny. I saw three feet sticking out in different directions. I shrieked, the mama shrieked, and Donnie came running to the barn just as I had pushed the backward foot back in and the two positioned correctly came out easily. The second baby was born a minute later with no problems. I sort of miss my goat breeding days....

Pretty day here. I worked all day. Got the barn clean, the pony stall re-bedded, and the yard completely mowed. We ran to Tractor Supply to buy Saturday's usual stuff because I had a $10 coupon that expires before then. Didn't want to miss that!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:48 pm

" we promptly named him rick! "

CB ... you named the goat "RICK"... Question Question Question What did I do to deserve that honor,Suspect Suspect or are you saying I'm a goat?shrug shrug shrug Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Rick, you are a handsome ol goat! lol. its after a commercial on tv, where people r working on a conveyor belt and the stuff starts falling off and getting jammed up cuz an ugly billy goat jammed things up somehow and the boss says "ricccccck" and the goat screams at him a funny baaaaaascreeching sound, hubby and I both named him rick on the spot!..... if he were to get named after you it would be becuz he was the cutest most debonaire goat on the place. I have several new girl goats to name .....hmmmm maybe an ellie, di, emmy, .....gotta go do a head count to see how many girl names I needs...lol
Rick is doing fine, legs all straightened out ane he always runs around with milk mustachy lips! he's eatin gooood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Is anybody watching the Friday races at the Derby? The Oaks will be later today. For DirecTV people, it's channel 220 all afternoon. Tomorrow they will carry the early races on the card and then at 4:00 switch to the local NBC channel for the big race.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh yes..............LOL Tomorrow we have a gang lined up and we're going to a big sports bar to watch the big race...we're meeting early enough to eat, etc........who's gonna take the run for the roses?

Drummond 17 hand monster or American Pharoh? Anyhow, I know almost nothing but it still will be fun........my gang is getting crazy in our old age. The place better have good pizza & burgers...........
I am now going to go look at the lineup and read about the horses so I can WIN my lunch! LOL.................I know it's a crap shoot at best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri May 01, 2015 11:12 pm

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

Yep, it is time for the big race. It must be May! Time to change the monthly thread. Go to:

http://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t44-may-2015#5886

or just go to "Basket" and click on May 2015.

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   

Back to top Go down

April 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6