Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

April 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm

I looked up hypercalcemia, it says it has several causes, first is the thyroid which is not the case for me then there is family history but I have no clue on that one, but it does need to be treated, worst case is they do dialysis, to taking strong diuretics, either way it is treatable, so I am not worried now the scoliosis is treatable but will require surgery and possible body cast, and my Dr. Will have to argue with the insurance company to get approval which she will if that is what I want I need to think on that one oh forgot to say that hypercalcemia is too much calcium in the blood
Ark, that kitten is soooooo cute, C.B. glad you got home safe sounds like you are going to be one busy lady hope you find time to relax as well tell Chris I say hi and hope she is doing fine and hope all goes well with your brother's auction
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:48 pm

ELLEN
Thanks for the website! Pix help! We have achieved No. 1, not so much for No. 2. I may take him to the vet in the morning if he doesn't get with the program tonight. He has a good appetite and is getting more active and vocal. Such a cutey! He is learning to play.

CB
The mama cat's owner knew when the kittens were born. He is a month old. He is lacking some skills a 6 week old would have.

Puff the Magic Kitten had a strange day. Donnie took today off to celebrate our anniversary, we were going to go to a movie or bowling at the new Imax. That didn't happen. We got a call early this morning that hospice expected his brother, Scott, to die today. He is the brother who got a liver transplant about a dozen years ago. So we took care of the horses, cancelled my P.T., and drove down to Bristol, TN. Puff and his bottle went with us. He spent the afternoon in an oversized purse. All but one of Donnie's siblings, Scott's two grown kids, their aunt and uncle and a couple of spouses all showed up at the hospital room. Scott was still alive when we left, but no one looks that bad and lives very long. He is in multiple organ failure and on morphine. Very sad.

Puff got fed before we went into the hospital and slept quietly in my purse the entire time we were there. It was too warm to leave him in the car. He was a very good kitty.

I suspect we will be going back down there in a few days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am

Ark, I'm so sorry to hear about Donnie's brother.

I'm glad to hear that Puff is doing okay. He's pretty young to be away from his mommy, but with you taking her place, he'll be okay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 am

(((((((((((DONNIE & FAMILY)))))))))))

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

So sad. You and family in good thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks. Scott is still alive, but not doing well. His kids are taking turns sitting with him.

I took the Magic Puff to the vet this morning. He is fine. Vet said to add a little baby rice cereal to his milk to give him a little fiber. Should give him a reason 'to go' soon. Then they took Puff' s picture. Donnie just gave him some of the new rice enhanced milk and Puff is gobbling it up. The bottle may soon be a thing of the past.

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Thoughts and prayers to both of you and his brothers family
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:52 pm

Sure am hoping Scott is comfortable at this stage of his illness. Continued prayer for DONNIE, you ARK, and the family.

TL & I are fine but had a bad day. Overwhelming, really.

0730 went off to get pinstripe on car.......went perfect.

0830 shoer here, TL here, went perfect.

1030-1100 approximate............friend called, had lost her job, 63
yrs old, frantic..........

1230 I think, another friend called.......they're having complete
dispersal next week end, lost house, horses, cars, trucks,
everything.........I don't know all the details but I was VERY
surprised. I knew their $ was tight and they had some debt, but
had no clue they were "losing the farm".......

1600 Another friend called to report another good friend was in a serious
horse accident.....horse slipped, fell, and she fell, too....in ICU
with 5-6 broken ribs, collapsed lung and chest tube..........not sure about
horse as I didn't ask

I am emotionally frazzled and we ALL need prayer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 pm

ARK, I said that wrong. I am praying they are keeping Scott pain free and comfortable during his transition............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 am

Wow!  Graymare, big prayers going up for your friends, especially the one who is hurt.  I can't imagine the emotional pain of losing everything like your other friend.  Keep us up to date. At 63, it would be very scary to lose a job. Is she at a point where she can start taking SS?

Last edited by Ellen E on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:55 am

Hugs ark and donnie, scot, and his family. it is so hard to go thru, it feels like walking slow motion thru fog....try to keep your spirits up and love flowing to everyone involved.

Graymare, it is hard to lose your job at that age, but maybe there will be something come along for her,, and it is hard to lose everything you have worked for, but they rnt the first or the last to happen to, happens every day...they will pick up the pieces and go on and they need all their friends not to offer money, but to still be their friends....emotional support is great to have....

Good healing vibes for your friend who is hurt...it could happen to any of us, no matter how careful we are.....hoping for a speedy recovery for her. did you hear about the horse yet?
Keep us updated on her progress.

Ok now take a deep breath and just be there for them all.....

We met our pa pcm yesterday....she seems ok....too early to tell, but we r in their system now...hope it works.

Rain and more rain...everything is green, that overly bright green and flowering trees and plants ALL over the place. I'm hoping it dries out so they can cut first cutting hay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:07 am

Yeah ... riiiggghhhtttt!! Whoever wrote this dos NOT have horses or other animals!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am

No news on Scott since yesterday, so he is still hanging on. Thanks for your kind thoughts. He is getting morphine whenever he asks for it, so I think they are keeping him as comfortable as possible.

GRAYMARE:
That is a lot of bad news for one day. I hope they all recover well. Big hugs from here for each of them.....

CB
What is a pa pcm? It is very green here, too. Our yard needs to be mowed and the lower hayfield is nearly ready to be cut. Soon, I hope. The hay I have been getting from Puff' s former owner varies from iffy to bad.

Speaking of Puff, whose name still eludes us, WE HAVE ACHIEVED POO!! We are so proud.... Wink

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am

Had some time to think & review yesterday's news.

Friend that lost job is 63 (a very young healthy 63) and said her house and cars are paid for etc., and since she is a nurse, will get some sort of job to carry her through. She wants to work until 70 to get maximum SS. She's not sure at all what she is going to do but she won't be in any serious trouble................just very upset. She had an upper administrative job in nursing and those come & go so she will go from here. She's thinking of teaching at ASU and has all the right friend connections to teach a couple of courses. She is emotionally upset but knows she will be fine. She just did not see it coming. Her job was eliminated via a hospital merge with another health system.

The gal that is having the dispersal lives about 2 hrs from here up in a very nice area. I have no idea what really happened there, but another friend has told me they have $ "hidden" via their children..........I have no idea. She is a riding friend that I don't see all the time. I was just very surprised to hear about her dispersal. Odd that her news came on tax day.

My injured friend is serious but will eventually be O K. Being a retired ER/ICU nurse, I have absolute understanding of collapsed lungs and chest tubes.......
it's serious pain. CB, I'm guessing the horse is O K, or I would've heard about
her.

The sun is coming up here and a new day. You're right CB, no matter what, the
next day shows up and life goes right on. Gosh, ARK, 8 yrs since Blackburg shootings. Can it be that long?

Kentucky Derby in 2 weeks.......guess I'll look at what horses are running.
None as good as my own in my little pasture, little world...........

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 am

RICK, I waste every morning 5-8A.................ha, that's tired vs retired.
LOL......................way blessed, for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Gm, my oldest when two hospitals merged lost her job too, she was younger tho...sometimes it is hard to get hired, if she has connections, play that card, she deserves to work if its what she wants, and am glad she is able to do so. tell her things happen for a reason altho we have to figure out what the heck we r going to do

And all classes of folks file bankruptcy and start over....wish them well. its hard to do as sometimes the house is loss or given up....big change for them right now.

I'm glad your friend will recover albeit slowly and painfully....are they going to be able toget lung fully operational?

It is a lot to sit back and reflect on when u hear it back to back, and worry about them, u r a good friend.

Ark, pa is physcian assistant. and pcm is primary care manager, not usually a doctor which gives me a false sense of thinking my medical stuff is small or I'd be seeing a
doctor right! probably WRONG....
Hang in there, you and Donnie.

Raining.....I think I'm beginning to see webbing between my toes....everything is that overbright color green....trees in leaf or blooming and lots of flowers and flowering bushes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Gosh GREYMARE, a lot of hugs and good thoughts for all those affected by tragedy, that is a lot to swallow in one day, hope all works itself out for all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 am

Carol's southwestern quilt is finished!!

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/942610_1627245394172020_6543879427807786302_n.jpg?oh=dabe0065903bb3b50dc8fdd622fc517b&oe=55ABF365

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10952537_1627245424172017_4246001851471747469_n.jpg?oh=617b1cb39ff8fb266688b5e0250d8db1&oe=55AC004F

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11149306_1627245487505344_5419522962399596409_n.jpg?oh=8cdcc1f282bdcba3f4b1e3e13ef02413&oe=55D7DCD6

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10422373_1627245597505333_5185360689364268743_n.jpg?oh=57d70e530d32fb4d3dc35696eba08ff9&oe=55D7E675

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11111134_1627246050838621_5329903859924588653_n.jpg?oh=98052fe75859b7a8cea2be85356b2567&oe=55AD69DD

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/20629_1627246814171878_4761070335946374183_n.jpg?oh=6f60cfc0bbab0ea486aa01c66c4fe546&oe=55A9679D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 am

Rick, Carol is an absolute artist with scissors and thread! The detail is amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:00 am

Wow! Those are gorgeous, RICK!! Carol is definitely on a quilting roll! wavy

Finally a bit of sunshine here today after a week of rain and mud. sunny

I had my hair cut short yesterday after a few years of ponytail hair. Areion spooked after sniffing my hair, she didn't like what the hair had sprayed on it. afro Ivan didn't care, I wasn't wearing a new hat.

Back to top Go down
Beech

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 am

Well, GRAYMARE, it sounds to me like you are the best friend ever, and that you are giving to your friends just what each needs now.

And CB is wise on many counts, particularly in noting that folks in financial difficulty especially need friends to stick by them.

ARK, hugs to Donnie and his family.

My friend who just lost her license because she's losing her memory this week also just lost her brother. She is 85 and he was 91, so these are not folk being cut down in their prime, but she is acutely conscious of being the last remaining of three siblings, and deeply sad, nonetheless. Death always seems like a raw deal!

I've just become a fan of the novelist Elizabeth Berg, who manages a Web site as well as a Facebook page, at the same time that she issues a new book each year. (She usually writes about contemporary women, but her latest, out this month, is a fictional account of George Sand, the 19th Century woman writer who was lover to Chopin, among others.) Berg also supports regular public readings in support of other authors. What draws me to her is a tenacious adherence to the values of caring, connection, and affirmation. Here's a summation of that, drawn from her Facebook page:

BERG:
Last night, I saw the movie "Still Alice." Afterwards, I I kept thinking about a line in the movie (and if you haven't seen it, I don't think this will spoil anything for you). The line came soon after Alice's diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer's when she says, "I wish I had cancer." And I immediately thought, I'll bet a lot of people with catastrophic cancer diagnoses would say, "I wish I had Alzheimer's." Maybe any of us with a grim prognosis would look over any fence and say, Boy, it sure seems greener over there.
When I was a nurse, I took care of a older woman whose name was Jenny, and she had Alzheimer's. I once took a bouquet of flowers she had sitting at her bedside to the nearby utility room to freshen up the water in the large vase. When I brought the bouquet back to her room, she gasped in pleasure and said, "Oh, look! Someone sent me flowers!" And I thought, well, maybe it's not all bad having Alzheimer's.
My dad got Alzheimer's before he died, and when I visited him toward the end, I would sit at the little kitchen table with him and he would ask the same question over and over, and over and over I would answer it like it was the first time he had asked it: Here's your bouquet, here's your bouquet, here's your bouquet.
Before I went to sleep last night, I finished reading Rachel Joyce's lovely novel, "The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy." Queenie is in a hospice, and her medical problems are many and, in some respects, lurid. She has her moments of despair. But mostly she fills her life with love: of fellow patients and of caregivers, of the movement of leaves on the trees outside, of memories, of her own evolving journey.
I wish sometimes that we could all keep uppermost in our minds that our time here is short at the longest. But it seems that none of us can do that. We get bogged down in minutiae, and in hatred, in love, in greed and ambition and confusion and desire and hope and joy and in every other thing that makes us the imperfect and spectacular beings that we are. We lose sight of the big picture, which makes us best able to appreciate the small picture. One butterfly on one rose. And then, a petal on the rose.
I am at an age where life begins to reverse itself: a body tearing down rather than building up. A mind not quite so quick as it was--not that it was THAT quick at its quickest. But still.
I talked to someone ninety-two years old the other day who was struggling with depression and was chiding herself for feeling that way. I said, 'Well, why wouldn't you feel depressed, facing the losses you've dealt with? It must be hard." And then, right when I was going to follow that with something along the lines of "You know what, though? There were five male cardinals in my back yard this morning!" she said, "I guess I'll get out and socialize more." And I felt like cheering.
I don't know. At any age, what can we do but go and rest our arms along the top of the fence and talk to everyone else? Even if we limp out there. Even if we are pushed, or carried, and even if we just look out the window to see others gathered together, in solidarity of the rarest, richest kind.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:27 am

Well said, Beech. Thank you for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 pm

That was very nice, BEECH.....

Well, the worst is over. Donnie's younger brother, Scott, died this morning. It is a sad relief, poor Scott was in such a terrible condition. He is going to have a military service on Sunday afternoon at a church in Abingdon, VA. Their uncle is part of a Color Guard that does the military service and will be doing Scott's. Scott was in the Airforce for a few years after high school. Then later his ashes will be scattered in the ocean by his children.

Yesterday while their aunt was sitting with the then unconscious Scott, he opened his eyes, raised his hands and said "Mom", in a happy voice. Nice.

His family is doing fine. Thanks for your good thoughts about him this week.....

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:34 am

ARK: So sorry to hear about Scott. That was wonderful he called for his Mom, he must have saw her waiting for him. I'm a true believer in our family is waiting for us at the gate to Heaven. That gave me chills..

BEECH: You are so right about enjoying each tiny blessing we are given. I'm taking a caregivers class at church and everything you mentioned is in the book we are using. You are a blessing.

GRAYMARE: Gosh, so many horrible things are going on with your friends. This life seems to get tougher as we get older.

RICK: Beautiful...how wonderful to be blessed with the talent Carol has.

SUNNY: Hang in there.

We have SUNSHINE and warm weather today. YIPPEEEEE I saw a couple of my tulips actually have the flower heads on them. FINALLY Mine are always so late.

My granddaugher Sami fell and broke her wrist on Thursday, there goes her softball season. Poor kid.

We attended the ROTC award banquet last Friday. It was so nice to see the young cadets all dressed in their dress blues. George gave an award from the MOPH for academics.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Love & lots of prayers for everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 am

Ark, I'm sorry to hear about Scott, but if there is no healing to be had, then a peaceful transition is a relief for all.

Trudy, my tulips have flower heads on them, but no blooms yet. They have produced huge big leaves and I was rather afraid this was going to be a resting year with no blooms. They did that one year. The leaves were great. Not a single flower. Those were some 2 year old bulbs. The 50 year old bulbs bloom every year. They aren't very big, but they bloom.

The county conservation club sells seedling trees every spring, 10 trees for $18. Last year, I got river birch; this year I chose red maple. I'll have to get those planted today and hope they survive. 4 of the river birch seem to have made it through the first year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Ark and Donnie and family, peaceful thoughts for you all.

Beech, that is a smart lady. she shows worlds of compassion and honest insights.

GM how is your friend who was hurt? I hope she is healing quickly and doing well.

Trudy, that's too bad about your GDS arm/wrist, its got to be disappointing for her.

Well, I made sloppy joes for concession tomorrow...and with hot dogs and soda that is all we r having. it is spose to rain....ugh...wet auction.

Hope we don't drown....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2015   

Back to top Go down

April 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next