Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

May 2015 !!

Go down 
+7
cb
NancyLee
Indyapp
sunny 57
Ol'Man
Rick Angell
Ellen E
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

May  2015  !! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 10:00 pm

GRAYMARE:
 Is T-Bone back from  his big snip job ?  That was yesterday, wasn't it?  I hope he is feeling well today.  
 The good news is, I am feeling better today!  I haven't had even one Advil today and my jaw feels fine.  No chewing on anything crunchy or hard for awhile, though.  Today I had cream of wheat for breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch, and some homemade beef veggie soup for dinner that I carefully ate without pureeing it.  I think I will survive!

The horses were happier this afternoon, Daisy broke the strap on her grazing muzzle, so everyone got to eat grass without them for awhile.  

ThunderPuff and I spent some quality time reading while camped out on the couch today.  He didn't get much attention yesterday.  He is in his terrible twos...two months old and much like a mobile box of razor blades.  I am not sure how you tell a kitten that he is shredding the hand that feeds him.  He plays hard, then collapses into a hard nap.  Sleep  Naps are good.... Very Happy  He sleeps all night in his covered cat carrier, but complains after about five minutes during the day when he is in his large wire cage. I put him in it when I am out of the house. One never knows where a kitten will get in trouble....

Here he is playing  Peekaboo Puff:

May  2015  !! - Page 3 WPVGIt
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Graymare ... "To each is own". Thanks for the concern in your remarks. "Local" work means MORE time spent loading / unloading and having to crawl up / down into trailer for sweepout. PLEASE give me the "long" trips which means more time just watching the scenery pass by while holding the steering wheel. PLUS...I'll be paid "by the mile".

I'll hopefully finish "move in" tomorrow ... hard to think of what all "I might need" both personal as well as tools, etc. Hardest thing will be making up the bunk bed!! ... and making sure Snoop doesn't sneak stuff in that migt cause trouble later Shocked

Still no idea of where / what I'll be doing to start with, but I'm sure it'll be something I've done before!!

Love to all,
Rick

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 12:16 am

Oh heavens. See? I know nothing about truck driving RICK. I had no idea about the difference in trucking. I do know cruising along seeing the U S is nice. Well, I know SNOOP is trouble, but he will be good company.

ARK, tomorrow is T Bone's neutering....9A. I'm sure it will scare him going in there..........then I will be glad when it's all done and he's home
with us. Whew, glad your new peg for your tooth is doing well. I'm not even sure what those are called (I guess implant for tooth). Honestly, that Puff is SO cute. That pic is good enough for a cat food ad. Maybe send it to ad depts of diff brands.......PUFF might become famous.
We will all be able to say "we saw him first". ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 10:30 am

Yes GREYMARE, I do still have my scooter I am looking into downsizing it a little, the one I have now is a big 4 wheel it is to wide to fit in small stores the place I got it from have narrower scooters that are still heavy duty and can handle 420 lbs. but will go down narrow isles in stores so I can go more places, the one I have was meant for outside travel over rough terrain and all surfaces, the other one will still be heavy duty but in a smaller package. The owner of the store said that if my scooter is is still in good condition he will do a straight across trade, the other scooter is used but like mine in excellent condition and guaranteed for six months, I keep mine inside so has never been exposed to the humidity which is what ruins everything here bicycles rust in less than a year the humidity is brutal so any way I will trade if I can so I will go more places and do more things even in the heat cross your fingers that I can do the trade,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 10:49 am

Rick, I understand that truckin stuff! local runs do get paid differently and lots more stops, loading, unloading, time consuming if u get paid by the mile. harry had some jobs wherre he was paid by the hour even if he was sitting, and some a percentage of what the load pay was, somme by the mile and he liked those long runs then. tell snoop to keep out of trouble but have fun!

Weather has been nice here inbetween rainstorms, but no bad weather, it all stayed south and west of us. how about those snowstorms out west, wow!
Yesterday I got my front porch swept from all the drizzles...locals call them frizzles which fall from oak trees, they cover everything! even the dogs come in with them on their backs! I swept the back porch and patio area, then I raked the front yard...got myself a blister on my itty bitty thumb, ouch!
Harry mowed the doggie yards and fixed goat fence and is trying to get his workshop organized...

Gm, hope neutering goes well, its a pretty simple surgery nowadays, but he will be sore for a day or so. give him a pat from me.

Ark, ouch! my mouth hurts just thinking about it.

Sunny, hope u can trade scooters ok.

Trudy, how's your garden growing?

Ok y'all check in.....we need to hear from EVERY FOOP AND FOOPETTE IN FOOPLAND!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 10:59 am

Snoop says this is true...!! lol!

May  2015  !! - Page 3 Mvphoto20818
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 9:47 pm

It must have been SNOOP Rick, you would never say things like that.

Dex is home and fine.........he's at my feet sleeping, cheers .
Makes me happy.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:51 am

Yesterday, it was dry so I decided to finish burning the brush pile. It was a Murphy's day. First, I couldn't get anything to burn, not even the long dead dry logs. After about 3 hours, one of them FINALLY took off. After babysitting the fire for 5 hours, I decided to let it burn out. But nooooo, it just kept smoldering. After seeing no flames for most of an hour, I came to the house and kept watching it until bedtime at 11:30. No more flames, minimal smoke. During the night it rained. Good. That'll put it out. Nope. When I woke up this morning it was still smoldering, and even flamed up briefly. Well, I wanted the pile gone. Guess it will be.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Who knew camels could do dressage? That's amazing.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Wouldn't you know .... I'm about to get launched back into working / driving and the Phony Pony comes up real gimpy ... possibly all 4's to some degree. Obviously LF, ... but the real question is why she won't even let me touch her rear legs. She's never been the "best" at having feet handled, but I could at least pick one up for a quick look/see...??

Vet as her on bute (paste) 2X. I gave her that by squirting it on her sweet feed and stirring it in. Carol is gonna LOVE being a nurse again...NOT!!

Later...Rick
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Oh no, RICK, really bad timing. Hope it's an easy fix and better soon with Bute. What does the vet think?

Raining, pouring, in comfy chair, good book, good coffee. Horses fed.
Great late afternoon here.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Has she been on pasture or dry lot? Any change of feed? any new weeds or bracken ferns or flowers blooming she can reach? make her stand on wet sand or wet muddy puddle..... maybe some xrays of front feet would answer some questions? I hate xrays, they've never been good news....good luck.

More rain today....will make the grass grow.....

Nice and warm...almost 80....

Sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Vet just says bute till she feels a bit better as she also needs annual sots and vet doesn't want to do those until she feels better on feet. This via phone consult. I fed her sweet feed about an hour ago and she had cleaned up her hay from stall. She's been confined to stall since 1230 today,,,but now can go out. NO CHANGE on pasture and feed regimen so I can rule out "feed changes". Still has cool front legs/feet. Silly ole gal!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:48 pm

GRAYMARE
Cool camel video!

RICK
Miranda won't let you pick up her rear feet because it puts more weight on her front ones, which are hurting. From a distance, it sounds like laminitis, probably from spring grass. Poor Kazi has been dealing with it off and on for 10 years, Zippy for 14. Both can be managed.
What I would do for mine: get her off the pasture, at least until she is stabilized. Bute for sure, but that may just mask the pain, the problem is still there. Deep bedding to stand in, if possible, standing in a cold creek helps if available. There are cushioned boots called "Soft Rides" that Kazi wears that support her feet. Miranda's feet need to be trimmed and balanced properly, get a good farrier. If her angles are wrong and/or toes too long, it makes the condition worse. If her coffin bones have turned, getting the angles right will be difficult without x-rays. Those bones can be returned to the proper angle with correct trimming.
I messed around with untalented farriers until Kazi was critical. Find some talent fast. I could have saved Kazi years of pain if I had. I don't know what NC has for treatment centers, but the vets and farrier at Virginia Tech had Kazi pain free in less than a month. Her feet had been treated wrong for too long for her ever to be completely sound, but at least she doesn't live in pain. She isn't on any medications.

Good luck, Rick. This can probably be managed, but there is a learning curve.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:21 am

Hello everyone. I had a nice novel typed the other day and my computer decided to do an unscheduled update and ate my post before I could send it to the forum. GGRRRRRRRRR I've been searching for it ever since I told the stupid computer to save it. Where on earth did it save it to?????

The garden is doing well, it's raining here this morning. YEAH....we planted the last two tomatoes and 4 brussle sprouts yesterday. The peppers still need to get planted in the garden. Maybe Tues or Weds depending on the rain fall. Not putting the tomatoes in the garden this year, I have them planted in old horse much buckets. Last year everyone had that end rot on their tomatoes from the spores in the soil and too much rain.

ARK: Puff is the sweetest kitten ever.. This morning I found 2 of the kittens that Shy had hidden, I hope the other little one is there also. We are down to 2 adult cats in the barn. I heard a coyote yesterday morning. Always a scary sound. My favorite cat Braveheart is missing. Darn it...

GRAYMARE: Your new doggie is such a beautiful dog. What a lucky dog he is to have found a hoe with you.

RICK: Sounds like grass founder to me also. Ark is right, this is the time of year for it and it turns into a horse owners nightmare. Good luck.

CB: Have fun at those auctions. I have to stay away from them especially the horse auctions or I may be tempted to bring home a stray and George would be packing my suitcase for sure. LOL

Have a great weekend everyone.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2015 11:13 am

Trudy, I hope braveheart shows up. hubbys brother says there r lots of coyotes in his area too, but when we grew up there we never saw or heard one. we have them here too, but only saw one in the pasture and I don't think it is anymore. hubby is still a good shot. if you do shoot one you hang it ocer your fence and others won't come by it...true...it works.

I have lost so many posts here..type them all out....push send and have no idea what happens to it!

We really like the auctions...we have gotten some really good bargains on things and not spent more than 20 bucks so its an all day or at least 6 hours of entertainment and pretty cheap and we get some useful things. we go to horse auctions and livestock slash poultry too, have bought a few chickies, but no horses so far. I am looking for a replacement horse for cinnamon, she is in her mid 20s now and tank is a few years behind.....I would like to find a horse about 12 and broke broke broke....hubby has rocky who is about 12 now so we could do some competitive rides and the week long trail rides. cinnamon isn't going anywhere tho. we have enuf pasture all summer so we only have to buy some hay for winter months....so we can take care of another....hay is cheap here too. now tank, he needs a couple of kids to wear him down even as old as he is! he is a big boy with a big motor....I may lease him out to the neighbors for their kids....thinking on it. he's got so dang much energy...he could handle kids and he is in excellent shape cept for a lil sway showing. the 16.3 hands is problematic for me to get up and down anymore also.

Well we r off....later taters
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

POST TIME rendeer
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2015 9:12 pm

That's 2. Will there be a third?
They all came in safely, horses and jockeys.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:30 pm

When I fed this evening, Miranda was out in the pasture and came at a slow trot speed to the barn. She was still favoring some but felt good enough to kinda/sorta run / trot. I'm encouraged.

Still have a couple "must do" and I'll be ready to hit the road on Monday morning. I just hope I can "hold up" to being out there on the road again.

Much love to all,

Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySun May 17, 2015 5:50 am

Just came in from our storm shelter, we were told "if u live in these towns, take shelter now" we did! hubby didn't think it would come this way, but it sure did! glad I stayed up and kept track! I called some friends and woke them up and there was a funnel cloud touched down closer to them than us!

Good luck, rick, hope you can retire again soon.

Good night to one and all!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptySun May 17, 2015 1:10 pm

WOW, CB. Glad you're all fine. Hope your area is now calmer.

RICK, glad Miranda has improved.

Nice day here today but know it will get warmer this week. EEEEEK.

I'm prejudiced but Dex is getting to be such a good boy. He now knows us and knows our routines. AND, vice versa. He's now very trustworthy
with "come Dex" so he is ready for the mountains. He knows come, sit, stay, and lie down.........not so good on fetch yet. LOL He also knows guys call him T Bone and the gals seem to call him Dex. Dogs are amazingly smart. Ha, good old fashioned old lady fun.

Later gang.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 18, 2015 12:48 am

Just heard on the news there were 5 tornados last night, 3 of them were about four miles from us...touching down between humansville and hermitage....wow....close!

Good luck rick! safe trips ahead.

Quiet day here, watched tv and napped, hubby worked on a chicken pen....but all in all a laid back day...laundry, cooked din din.....I'm beat. I've discovered u miss a nights sleep it takes 2 nights to catch up. sign me pooped.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 18, 2015 9:32 am

I agree with the general opinion of grass founder for the Phony Pony. Here is a suggestion if you find you have to keep her on bute for any length of time. Since bute is known for creating stomach issues, I found a product that works well called "Bute-less" it is by Equine America and sold under the Absorbine logo. I think Absorbine bought Equine America and they're using both names for now until old customers get used to the new name. I discovered it when Thunder's arthritis got so bad she needed a constant pain reliever. Also if the Phony Pony gets so she won't eat the bute paste mixed with her sweet feed, it also comes in a powder. The stuff I got from my vet smelled like pancake syrup and Thunder would eat that when she got to the point of absolutely refusing to eat the paste. I would feed the "Bute-less" pellets in the morning and the bute powder in the evening and that combination kept her comfortable for a long time. "Bute-less comes in liquid and pellet form. Thunder was extremely picky about what she would eat (on a good day) and I found the pellets worked the best. Also if it is grass founder, the vet will probably tell you to cut back if not eliminate the sweet feed.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:57 am

Good recipe INDY. Great to hear from you. Did you get your fences up? That's such big time work.

RICK, stay safe in your travels.

Sunny here this morning and a very odd spring for us this year as our temps here are still in the 80's.........playing w horses is fun. Ha, saddled Eli. He looked ridiculous as saddle is too big but funny to watch him amble around.

Hoping the midwest storms settle down soon. Also, glad nothing touched down in your area CB. It's sure good you have a storm shelter.

TRUDY, "inch by inch, row by row, gonna watch my garden grow". I love that song. I admire the work and harvest you & George reap from your garden.

OLMAN, give us an update. We're all hoping you & Virginia are fine.

SUNNY, have you gotten the rest of your reports yet?

ARK, is your hip holding up? Also, is your jaw healing well?

Everyone have a super day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 19, 2015 2:31 pm

This morning, I took the jet ski to the fix-it store. The wiring to the dash panel isn't working, and Neighbor Travis has been working so many hours he hasn't had time to check it out. It should be ready to go as soon as the pier gets installed. Of course, that's a 'but first' thing. I need to paint the dock before it is put in the water for the summer. Today is too cold to want to paint anything outdoors. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

May 2015 !!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next