Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2015

Go down 
+5
Manygatess
cb
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 12:10 pm

August 2015  

August 2015 Sunny10

SUNNY on a ride!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Welcome to AUGUST 2015!

Is that a great photo of SUNNY or what? Pretty photo. I stole it out of the forum's gallery.

We are making hay while the sun shines today. The weather is perfect hay making weather for the first time this summer. We will either be baling today or tomorrow, but it looks like it may be today.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 pm

It's a perfect day here for anything anybody wants to do. A little bit windy, but warm and sunny, low humidity.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Great afternoon here in the mtns........sunny & gorgeous. Rex (LOL, Zane Grey) went on a long run along a stream with us after church.......we all had fun. We just had an early meal and we're going to read and hold the porch down in a bit.

We decided Rex's call name is Rex but we all joke he is Zane Grey.

I don't remember seeing that pic of SUNNY............good pic. It's fun to see the gang having fun.

MORE PICS everyone!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Wow! American Pharoah won the Haskell in a hand ride. He won by about 5 lengths only because the jockey eased him up when he was about 15 lengths out. He only broke a light sweat. Love watching that horse run.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 1:10 am

Had a terrible time getting on again...I'm beginni8ng to really believe I am not who I think I am!
Hubby was moving brother yesterday andgot halfway and truck broke down, had to be towed .....again. today our wonderful neighbor went to get the trailer that had his oxygen thingy in it and bunches of stuff.....we r lucky to have some really nice neighbors...but then when his calf was missing we traipsed thru the brush and ticks looking for him also....so we try to help out when we can. the other neighbor has kept us supplied with green beans, cukes, potatoes from her garden, and our hay man gave us 2 dozen ears of sweet corn....so we have had fresh veggies without a garden. we want to put in some raised beds for next year, and harry says he will make a couple extra ones for the neighbors.

Bro,s motorhome is coming together slowly...it is old and needed lots of fixing and beautification....lots!

Weather has been stinky hot and sticky...ugh...nice part of that is it makes the ticks and chiggers go almost dormant in the heat....that I like. I will mow tomorrow.

Harrys big boer buck beat up my lil demon kid and it was touch and go. it is rut season now and he broke thru the fence as we certainly didn't want to breed this month or next but he had other ideas. he really butted the male kids around hard. its been touch and go and getting up thru the n8ght to force liquids into them. demon was the worse...poor baby, he would get on his side and couldn't get up and we would have to go out and stand him back up....I couldn't get him to take a bottle so used an eye dropper to get him to take fluids, sat out there with him for hours. finally yesterday he stopped floppin on his side and is now eating and drinking on his own...whewwwww...the big buck went to an amish farm where they have a 100 does....he will have fun. if demon gets all better he will be the herd sire of our six does. he is so sweet. he is the one I had to pull out and his eyes were spinning...he is all character.

Well that's life on the farm...chris is suppose to be here this week to get her minis and mule. that new mini sure is cantankerous....I have gotten a dislike of minis becuz of him. my horses r gentler and safer to be around than her two minis. I will be glad to see them gone.

Sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 am

Happy August everyone. WOW where did July go to? It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks for us. My life has been family doctor, Dentist, ENT, Endodontist, Periodontist and tomorrow back to the ENT. Turns out it's not my teeth causing all the trouble, but some weird infection in my gums instead. The last dentist who is a Periodontist knew what it is right away. An autoimmune disease that women over 60 seem to get. No known cause and no known cure. Shocked It can go away or hang around for years. Still working out a treatment plan, steroids or immunosuppressants. YIKES..I blamed George & the kids for causing it, 47 years of stress with kids and husbands. HAHAHA

I'm doing better than my poor cousin, his wife passed away unexpectedly on Friday. Connie was 67.

Plus the garden has been going gang busters so we are trying to keep up with it and get the veggies in the freezer. We made 6 qt jars of banana peppers, put up green beans and corn. We finally got 3 healthy tomatoes off our plants. The others had that blossom end rot, checking them every day and throwing away the ones with the rot.

ARK: Sorry I haven't answered you about the applesauce. No easy tips, just make sure the apples are soft when you toss them into the food mill & grind away. I add a little vanilla to my applesauce along with the sugar and cinnamon. I just freeze it freezer bags.

Stay healthy gang. I'll be off and dashing about all week and then daughter Heather and her family are arriving on Sunday for a few days.

Love & prayers for all..
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 am

After most of two months of rotten summer weather, we are finally getting some near perfect weather. About 80, with not as much humidity. I'm thinking the jet ski will get a little exercise today. Some of the schools are back in session or shortly will be, so it's very quiet around here. Within two weeks, most will be back to school.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:07 pm

TRUDY
Wow, sorry about your teeth problem. I hope they come up with a cure for you....fast. My implant post is all ready for the fake tooth, but I am probably going to wait until January to get it when the new insurance year starts. I have maxed out my benefits with the post implant. I hate to wait, but hate worse to spend so much on it that can go to something else.

ELLEN
I am glad your summer has finally started! Have fun in the lake today! We have had a week of wonderful weather, too. The humidity went back up today, but we had perfect haymaking weather this past week. We put up 112 bales from our upper field, and could possibly get another cutting. It is not easy work, but the low humidity made it much more comfortable this time.

I had a fun lesson with Ivan last night. The boy has been so mellow lately. We were interrupted by some humongous horseflies, sort of like aircraft carriers of the fly world. Ivan took it well when I slapped the crapola out of him, killing one on his neck. affraid Areion wasn't quite so mellow starting out, she had been running from one of those giant horseflies earlier. Donnie killed one on her. Lori did a good job with her and she eventually calmed down and got to business. Areion is still having issues picking up the correct lead at a canter on one side.

NANCY LEE
I am trying to follow your example with getting rid of some things.
I sold Zippy' s cute little western saddle. Someone Lori knows has a mini they want to use it with. We won't need it anymore, Zippy is pretty much retired. More room, one less thing cluttering my house....

CB
I bet your brother will like having you so close by!
Too bad about the hateful little mini. I have always treated my minis like the horses they are and never put up with shenanigans. Both are very well behaved that don't make the mini breed look like hateful little monsters. Trinket tried everything in the book of misbehavior....once. They are smart and know what they can get away with. Trinket was way more innovative than Zippy ever was about pulling fast ones Laughing . Mini mares....so creative.

I might go on a trail ride on Friday with Lori, Ivan and Areion to the New River Trail. We have to get our ducks in a row first....

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 am

TRUDY, sorry for your cousin's husband......transition after death is hard........

CB, sorry you have a hard time getting on the board........glad you got through.

ARK, I have to laugh at your pic as I love foals with their bucky beaver first baby teeth. Aerion was so cute.................I'm sure you are enjoying your rides on her.

Enjoy your August jet ski riding ELLEN.

Oh boy. Last night about 9 I took the dog out..........very clear lovely evening with stars, moon & constellations bright. Some came out to see stars but I didn't know it. Rex charged back toward camp barking in a rage and scared everybody. I guess he now needs me to pay closer attn. affraid LOL, BAD owner.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:16 am

TRUDY, forgot. Gads, let us know how they solve your immune prob with your teeth. Hope you get relief quickly. ((((((((((( hugs)))))))))
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:31 am

CB, how is Demon Kid?

It sounds like your brother's m home is almost ready.........

Let us hear if the mini's really leave. Hope it;s all smooth.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 11:19 am

Demon kid is doing fine. after that really scary day on friday, he started acting almost normal...and he hasn't been flopped on his side since. last night was first night I havnt cked on him thru the night...a big sigh of relief from here.....he comes running to the fence every time wanting his head scratched! I did notice that when I put the light on his face only one eye shines that eery gren...so I am thinking he may not have sight in one eye when he got rammed by the billy.

Trudy, hope you get on the road to wellness....ouch...I hurt for you or with you. it is sad to lose a friend or family member so young.

GM, rex is a breed that is very territorial over their yard, vehicle and owners...
And no puppies until middle of august here...if she isn't having false pregnancy....

Well, hubby and bro have to replace the water lines in the motor home.....geesh, lets just rebuild the pile of chit. can we say, burn it down and start new.....

My truck is done, 778 dollars, labor more than the part....

Raining here today....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am

CB, I've had Aussies for years and years on & off...........they're very territorial & protective. I just didn't know anyone else was out.

I chose Rex as I want a guard dog as we get older........I don't want anything mean or seriously aggressive, just a warning big bark..........he's perfect. He's typical king of the ranch type dog, loving and gentle with a big bark.

Maybe you're right CB...........maybe a new used M home for your brother
would be cheaper. I have no idea. When is Harry's knee getting done?
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm back!!!!! I have not been to the clubhouse in a long time too long, for awhile there the temps kept me home, then the rain, I can't use my scooter in the rain, if the electronics get wet my scooter goes kaput, I have been down in the dumps lately, Kent has been sick, but he is finally better, I was about to call the paramedics, he had been vomiting for 4 days, couldn't't keep anything down not even water, finally he quit and was able to keep down water, I got him some of those glucerna drinks and vitamins and he finally pulled out of it, now he eats everything in site, we are trying to find a camp trailer, pull type, so far no luck, we need about 2500 down before we can finance, and it has to be 2006 or newer, for banks to finance, we are still looking though, are still trying to get out of Florida. Other than that nothing else is going on, I will try harder to post I miss being here everyone have a great rest of the week
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:53 pm

I taught my girls to never mess with a dog in the back of a pickup. a friends son did and got bitten in the face. they guard with intent. my brother has an aussie border cross that may not live! he snapped at harry and me today becuz bro went somewhere in his car, left him behind.....oh boy....we need to get him in his own fenced yard. his dog needs a job, way too much energy and bad manners let go awry. in idaho every pickup has a dog in the back...mostly herding type to work cows and sheep....you should see wmarts parking lot sometime in mt home! You should see them riding high on top of a load of hay...scares me....I like my fat bulldog and my skunk chasin doxies....lol

Well, chris showed, said she is looking for a place to move them...and lleft....no feed or hay...ahhh well they will be gone soon.

Well later taters
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 am

Oh CB, she didn't..............will she really get those mini's moved?...........
what gall not to provide feed for them.

We have the same in these mtns CB...........all stock dogs in the back of pick ups.........Rex rides in the back seat. I think there are so many nut cases around I worry more about people being mean to a dog than the dogs hurting people.............I sure could be wrong tho. Sure hope your brother will train his dog and get him controlled as that could really get you/Harry mad if he bites either of you.

SUNNY, hope you can get your trailer. It's good to see you. Sorry your weather has kept you in. Hopefully your heat will be reduced soon so you can get out on your scooter. Glad Kent is doing better.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:54 am

Yep unless it was just around our small acreage, and going slow, the dogs r always inside the vehicle....I've never understood throwing them in the back of the truck...seen dogs run back and forth and jump up on whatever is back there with them and my heart would drop to my stomach thinking they were going to over...and I'm sure some of them do...going 80 up the interstate....ugh

Well, we went to horse auction for a few minutes last night...wow, had so many horses they were tied to trailers in parking lot as all the pens were full....we only looked and then left as I had a migraine starting....but chris was at the auction....???

Well still have this stupid headache, going back to bed with a cuppa....

Later gators...and Sunny, keep on keepin on...it will happen....

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Life just gets better as you get older doesn’t it? I went out for coffee recently when my stomach started rumbling and & I realized that I desperately needed to pass gas.The place was packed but the music was really loud so to get relief and reduce embarrassment I timed my expulsions to the beat of the music.

After a couple of songs I started to feel much better. I finished my coffee and noticed that everyone was staring at me. I suddenly remembered that I was listening to my Ipod ... and how was your day?

My friend sent this and it can't be true........but then..............

Shocked Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Doesn't matter whether or not it's true. It's funny. ROFL lol!
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 10:34 am

I love the stories of dogs in trucks. My dad had this dog given to him that was supposedly German Shepherd / wolf cross. I think she was too small for that but doesn't matter. She was a great watch dog. She was fantastic when family members were around, she figured if family was happy with strangers, she was happy with strangers. But if no family was around, she was on guard. Anyway, she LOVED to go on truck rides. She would sit right up beside dad and look around, but she never tried to interfere with his driving. She would lay quietly on the seat windows up or down if dad would have to get out of the truck and no one would even know she was in the truck, unless they banged on the truck. Then she was all teeth and snarls. If someone was getting into their car next to dad's truck she would totally ignore them, unless they banged on the truck. One lady about had a heart attack once while she was unloading her groceries and the cart rolled into the truck. Dad happened to be coming out of the store and was almost at the truck and saw it happen. He quietly spoke to Hobo and told her it was alright and Hobo went from barking snarling killer dog (behind a window) to happy go lucky in a blink of an eye. Once the lady got over her initial startle she was amazed at the transformation.

I have to tell this story of my equipment malfunction on Sunday morning when I took Sophie out for a drive. I was driving her to my nephew's house a couple of miles away and the spring on the clamp that holds the trace to the single-tree broke. Without the spring the clamp wouldn't keep the trace attached. Fortunately this happened only a few hundred yards from my nephews house. We were able to get to his house by me reaching down and holding on to the trace with one hand and having the reins in the other. It really takes two hands to drive Sophie as she doesn't stay straight very well. - Someone asked if she wandered with the trainer or if perhaps the shafts were too small an possibly hurting her. She wandered with the trainer too. Trainer's opinion is that she just needs miles. - So I wasn't able to fix the clamp and my nephew didn't have any small rope or binder twine that I could use to tie the trace to the single-tree to get me home. I definitely have a city slicker nephew. Who doesn't have various different sizes of rope or twine for emergencies just laying around? So I had to unhook her and unharness her and ride her home. Worse part of the whole thing? She was all sweaty. It's one thing to get on a dry horse bareback and get sweaty together, it's another to get on a sweaty horse with dry jeans. Eeeewwww.. Came back with the truck and trailer and hauled the cart home. Now I have to search the internet to find a replacement clamp. It's not like I can go to the local hardware store and pick one up.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 10:58 am

Indy, have you checked with Troyers in Shipshewana to see if they have the spring you need? Since they rebuild buggies and carriages, they just might happen to have what you need. If nothing else, they might know where to start looking.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Yeah, ELLEN, I called Troyers first thing. They don't keep anything like that in stock and would have to order it. I figured if they have to order it I can look around and order one from someplace too and save myself the drive to Shipshe to pick it up. I looked on e-bay and found a set for $35 plus $13 shipping and about fainted. I then searched the web and found a place in Nashville, MI that sells them for $7.20 a pair. I didn't even ask them what they would charge for shipping when I called them (I had some other questions.) So I should have new clamps the beginning of next week. I'll have to look up Nashville MI and see where it's at and possibly have a day trip to check them out.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Here's a Suzy Homemaker hint for oven cleaning. The night before you plan to let the oven self-clean, take out the racks and put them in the bathtub with a generous helping of powdered laundry detergent. I have some Oxyclean, so I used that. The next morning, start the oven. Mine usually takes about 4 hours to do the whole process. When it's about done, get the racks out of the bathtub and wipe them down with a sponge. All the crud will wipe right off, or a light rub with the back of the sponge will take off any little spots.
That's it.
That thing of soaking the racks in the bathtub is soooo worth it. It takes all the pain and anguish out of cleaning them, wire by wire.
To clean the bathtub use a long handled Swiffer and rinse and clean the tub without having to turn upside down to clean it. Since it had the laundry detergent in it, it isn't hard to clean either.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Accckkkkk, that's too much susy homemaker stuff for me at one time!

Guys still working on plumbing.... me, sittin at home...watchin reruns of hart to hart..

Goody goody...boredom.....rainy and dark out there....dreary, humid uckkkkkkk

Yeah I have summertime cabin fever...I'm going to have to do something about that...but have been hangin close in case chris comes for the minis...want them out of here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

August 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2015   August 2015 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2015
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next