Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2015

Go down 
+5
Ellen E
Indyapp
cb
Rose
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Graymare

October 2015 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm

ARK, my day started with the shavings guy coming around 7:30A rather than 10A. Ha, that worked well as I love being first of the day rather than down the line. So, next time I will ask for first delivery of the day was they're on time.
Still catching up on fall chores but now all caught up. WOO HOO!

Yesterday we had a big dinner w family so today we don't have to cook anything
for a couple of days.

Eli is working well. Isaiah is working well. Faith is working well. My sails are at half-mast. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Today was a mostly productive day on the deck. I have the chevron almost done. Just a few more boards to put in place. I just plumb wore out, getting up and down and up and down and up and down and....... It was nearly dark when I came in. I would love to have two more good weather hours tomorrow to finish up that part. The rest can wait until spring if necessary.
It isn't perfect, but I have decided that the first person who mentions an imperfection can just fix it themselves. ROFL By the time it is all stained dark like the rest of the deck, I think it will look okay. The most important part is that it is definitely strong and sturdy.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 am

Perfect full moon here last night and headed down as I type.

Horses fed.

Slowly drinking coffee, temp 62 here. Easy nice slow start to the day.

At tutoring reading yesterday, the kids were all hyped and whackadoodle......they were getting flu shots. The girls were all squealing and giggling, the boys walking and telling each other "it didn't hurt me". The mini's quietly eating grass in the chaos. One little boy, 6, was afraid it would hurt. I pinched his arm and told him "I just gave you a flu shot". He said I think it will hurt more than that. I pinched him again and said "now you've had two flu shots". So, he came back smiling from his shot and told me "you pinched too hard". Kids are hysterical.

Then my one little friend about 11 (Native American) put her arm next to mine
and told me "you're darker than I am", are you Indian?" I told her "I wouldn't be surprised". She said "it's O K, we have whores in our clan, too". Knocked me dead. Really funny. Kids are amazing and if you don't want the answer, don't ask or comment.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 7:17 am

Good morning everyone. It's pouring down rain here this morning. We need the rain so I'm not complaining, just glad it's today and not Friday when we have our Trunk or Treat at church. We are doing the Noah's Ark again this year, the little ones loved seeing all the stuffed animals last year so what the heck another year of it. I bought a bunch of animals crackers for the little ones and candy for the bigger kids.

The baptism went well. The church (about 500 people) clapped and whistled when George came outta the water. Then when Pastor said "that was a father and son who were baptized together" they really went wild. Pastor Ken told George it was easy getting him outta the water but hard holding him under. HAHAHAHA.

Grandson is still acting like the fool he has become. The good grandson Aaron got a new puppy, he is so excited about getting her. Her name is Dixie, part Shepard part ???? Her mom was a rescue, the people who rescued her didn't know she was pregnant.

ARK: Thanks for posting the photo of Mary Ellen (Gram).

CB: Sorry to hear about your broken tootsies. That hurts. If there is a crazy way to get hurt you always seem to find it. LOL

GRAYMARE: That was too funny about the kids. Ya never know what is going to come outta their mouths. HAHAHA Gotta get out and get my flu shot now that I am feeling better.

ELLEN: Your deck sounds really beautiful, I know you are going to enjoy hanging out on it.

ROSE: What an experience at your doctor, us old girls don't have time to do drugs, what were they thinking? Glad Robin found a horse that really fits her needs.

Have a great day everyone. Gotta get my stuffed animals ready for their big night.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 am

TRUDY, big praises for your family. I'm sure Sunday was wonderful. Also, how exciting for Aaron with a new puppy! Nothing cuter than boys and puppies.
Prayers continue for Anthony..............

I was just watching sports. I sure hope my American Pharaoh can win this Saturday. He looks good, for sure.

Another Darwin scholar: Woman, looks about 55, drives way too fast in a golf cart. She was drunk way over legal limit. She turned a corner too fast and her mother fell out, and DIED. Seriously.

This is only Wednesday.............. affraid affraid affraid

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

ELLEN
I can't wait to see your new deck! Good for you for doing all this yourself! You are a handy person Smile .

CB
How are you doing? I do believe that every nerve in my body goes thru my toes. affraid I have had two toes officially broken, one self-inflicted when the ear of a cast iron horse landed on a middle toe, the other a big toe scrunched by Ivan in his trailer loading resistance days. Honestly, it hurt worse to break toes than it did my wrist, collar bone or cracked ribs. I hope you are feeling better.

ROSE
Small surgery today? How are you? How did the mare look?

TRUDY
Congrats to George and son! And glad Aaron has a new puppy! It has RAINED here for two days. Lots of it. Cleaning up around the horses in the barn has been so much fun! It was a very cold rain yesterday, so they stayed in the barn, about 46 degrees. Today it is in the mid 60s, so I let them out in the rain while I cleaned up. Sooooo much easier... it is supposed to clear up tomorrow. I hope so, my riding lesson is tomorrow.

GRAYMARE
Yikes! That little girl knows a whole lot more than I did at her age! Laughing

That is sad about the woman driving the golf cart. What a thing to have to live with the rest of your life.

Donnie nearly had a head-on collision on Monday. Someone came around a blind curve on his side of the road, passing another car on a double yellow line. Donnie dove off into a driveway as both cars hit their side mirrors. The person never slowed down, just kept speeding away. Donnie is okay, but his nerves were sure shot for awhile. I hope that driver had to change his/her pants.

All the horses, but Kazi, got their trims, She goes to get hers on Tuesday

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Ark, I have to agree with that! toes r better but I can't put foot flat and bear any weight yet. but it will get better, so I am biding my time....and then I'm gonna rip loose! lookout world!

We took a drive today, my new doctor is 37 miles away in a very cute lil resort town. there is also an equestrian campground with trails thru the trees around truman lake. looked awesome!

We also made appt. to get the trailer hitch on our car so we will be able to find out if the car will pull it ok....the appt is on the 11th and its our early christmas present.

We are going to jessis for thanksgiving and picking up kyle on the way, so wanted to test trial the camper.....we shall see.

Hope all is well in foopland. sweet dreams!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 pm

We got home a bit ago and all 4 horses were by their shelter wanting fed, came inside had a cuppa and bananna and sittinng here and saw out the window something go by.....I thought we had visitors and then two other somethings shot by when I realized it was the horses! they plowed over top the fence knocking it over, bent a post and kept on going! lucky for us they all r addicted to grain rattling in a bucket....came right up to us. we no more than got them in and a whole sting of cars and trucks went flying by....didn't recognise anyone! lake goers coming in for weekend I guess. so glad we got them back in so quickly. guess they wanted to eat early tonight..and let us know!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 10:58 pm

Whew. That got your blood running. Glad they're back and quieted down, CB.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 am

CB
That's one of my greatest nightmares, horses getting out. I am a gate checking fanatic, but that doesn't keep other folks from leaving a gate open. I am very glad you got your horses back in before the traffic went by!!

I rode both Areion and Ivan during our lesson yesterday. Areion was very mellow and easier for me to ride. I think we are getting used to one another more. She picked up that right lead cantering for Lori quicker. Ivan and I practiced riding practically bridleless affraid . Without using reins, we had to turn 90° angles at a trot. Whew! That was actually kind of fun! I was surprised at how well we did it using just legs and weight shifts. We were not perfect by any means, but we got thru the poles without plowing over them. Very Happy Then Lori rode Ivan and tuned up his canter a bit. Lori makes any horse look good. Smile

It's Friday. Anyone got plans for Halloween this weekend? We never get trick or treaters out here in the sticks, so we will just stay home and watch a movie and eat the treats ourselves..... popcorn
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:02 am

ARK, I was wondering how DONNIE is doing after his Freak ride last week.
There are so many crazy drivers everywhere. That was sure a close one for sure.
Hope he is fine. I'd sit home & watch movies, too. Glad your lesson was a good one.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:46 am

Yeah, did his nerves settle down? when i get scared like that, then I get angry at the stupid ones and rant, then I want to sleep.

It was 29 here this morning when I woke up....brrrrrr.....broke down and turned the heater on to take the chill out....will turn it off shortly...I was trying to hang on until november before using heater, didn't quite make it.

Staying home today playing catchup...havnt been doing much cuz foot was so sore, but now its doing better gotz to get a few things done.....hohum.....where is that maid when I need one?

Amvets and vfw r both having adult halloween parties....I would love to go but the smoke bothers me too much. may go for a short time just to see the costumes.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks, Donnie seems to be okay after his driving incident. We live amongst 50,000 university and community college students for 9 months of the year. There are so many speed demons and texting fools on the road. We have been very fortunate, so far. The summers here are wonderful because most of the students go home, but we do have to be very careful with drivers who think they are either immortal or immune to accidents most of the year. Donnie sees a lot of accidents, or near ones, several times a month. I tend to mostly stay off the roads when I can, especially over near Blacksburg where most of the accidents occur, and where Donnie works.

Anyway, thanks for asking! He had a case of nerves afterward, but is doing fine now.

Pretty day here today!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:49 am

HAPPY HALLOWEEN....We did our Trunk or Treat last night at church. We had a blast, our Noah got sick and couldn't be there. I tried to get George to wear the costume but you know that was a big NO WAY, I'll set up the stuff and that it is for me. What an old curmudgeon he is. LOL

We had fun and about 1,000 kids again. Gave out lots of candy. We had a set of 13 year old twins as helpers this year. They were so cute, dressed as wolves. About half way thru Rachel says "do you think we are too old to go thru the line?" I was like "did you see the age of some of the people in line? Get a bag and get in line, we can handle it here." George took them over and got them bags and snuck them in the line. They were happy. George says take whatever you want out of our candy too for helping us.

I hope we get some trick or treaters tonight. We have new people in the neighborhood with young kids so we might get some.

Winter is here, that's for sure, it was 43 last night. BBRRRRRRRRR I had on my big Steeler jacket so I was warm except for my nose and hands. Thank God the winds we have been having the last 3 or 4 days stopped right as we were setting up last night.

Did you guys see the blimp story? It landed about 15 miles from here. Tore out power lines and ruined peoples house & cars along it's path. They are still working on the blimp. They actually shot it full of holes the other day to try to get it outta the trees.

Things should quiet down around here until Saturday and the big Veterans Day parade over in Bloomsburg. More fun. This being retired is a lot of fun. Always something to do. We will start working on our MOPH Christmas party now that October is over with. Nov. looks like a quiet month so far.

Our fast is over tomorrow. George says he is eating ice cream for breakfst. LOL I'm going to eat my birthday brownies that are waiting for me in the freezer. Drool

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 10:02 am

Trudy, I saw the story about the blimp and some of the damage it caused. Did they really think that blowing holes in it would make it fall out of the trees? Did anybody think of hooking onto it with a helicopter and lifting it out?
Glad you had fun at the Trunk or Treat. One of our local churches was doing that too. They have hundreds of kids too.

By this time next week, most of the leaves will be down and I'll call my leaf guy to come clean them up. Whatever leaves fall after that can wait until spring to be cleaned up.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Trudy, I heard that blimp caused a lot of damage. I imagine folks wer like shoot it full of holes so it couldn't take off and cause more damage...sometimes in the hills of penna, there r bad down drafts and large tall trees....I'm wondering if they could get in with a copter...or had to think about it first. when we lived in north mountain, pa, there was a plane and a helicopter crashed due to down drafts, and I remember when I was a kid,an airplane carrying people crashed....pieces of everything strung out for miles....I remeber it was a hot date when a teenager to go out and look for body parts and have a bon fire. now its gross....to think about it....but it was a great place for ghost stories back then.

I know I had cousins there that had to use generators for their oxygen.....hope they get everyone's power on and the damages fixed.

Happy halloween!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:06 pm

RATS! I forgot to watch the Breeders' Cup races yesterday, but sure won't make that mistake today.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi.......watched 4 of them and in & out doing barn chores..............

I'm going back out to work for a couple hrs and then in for the races.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 6:35 pm

I'm getting a bit nervous just before post time. I really want American Pharoah to win his last race - before he retires to live the life of royalty.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm

WHAT A FANTASTIC RACE!!!! IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! I'm sitting here with tears running down my face.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:02 pm

Who won? I missed it.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:20 pm

American Pharoah! He was just great. Led the entire race. Even at the end, Espinoza waved the whip along side him a few times, but never touched him.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 8:00 pm

It was pure form to function beauty to see Pharaoh run today. A beautiful
animal just out for a sprint................a GREAT thrill for me, for sure.

Boy, this will keep the excitement in the Sport of Kings for a long time.

CB, you can see the race on You Tube, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey Rose! Did you see Jeff win Martinsville?!?! Since he is only three races from the end of his career, I'm so glad to see him win one.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 11:11 pm

I watched the Breeders Cup on YouTube.  Wow, what a horse!  It is so nice such a great one has come along.  I hope his get are as good.....
Then I watched the Breeders Cup Sprint on YouTube and really like RunHappy!  What a character!  

We watched tv during Halloween and ate the candy we knew no kids would come trick or treating for..... Very Happy

Well it is that time.  October has ended and November is now open for business!  Go to:

https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t50-november-2015

Or go to BASKET and click on November 2015.

See you there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2015   October 2015 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2015
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8