Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2016

Go down 
+4
Beech
Rick Angell
Manygatess
Rose
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

January 2016 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Here's a helpful Suzy Homemaker hint. Do NOT try to make rice crispie treats with stale marshmallows. They won't melt. They just turn into a gooey gelatinous mess that looks like the blob out of a sci-fi movie.
I don't know how long I've had those marshmallows, but apparently, it was waaaay too long. hysterical
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 am

Trudy, I'm sure your gang isn't as happy about the outcome of the Steeler/Bronco game. It was a good game though.

It's zero this morning, with a wind chill of 14 below.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 pm

New post on AMMI from Tuzee

"There is renewed hope! Mike was awake and cognizant when we were at the hospital yesterday! I am overjoyed! He is still entubated so can't speak, and at this point I doubt he'll be physically able to speak for a while after he is extubated due to how damaged his throat will be. He is also very-very weak. And we are not sure if he can see at all now, which is a bit puzzling since he only had the macular degeneration on his left eye and really good sight with his right eye before the Dec 10 splenectomy. I'm hoping his sight will return of course after he's "awake" for a few more days. He will face a long recovery from being bedridden for over a month and so debilitated. Thank you all for your prayers and positive healing wishes and please keep them up for him. His attending doctor will no doubt be so surprised when he returns tomorrow! (He's out of town this weekend for a baby shower for his wife given by her relatives in Portland, OR.)"

I will add that she sent me a quick note last night saying that he had regained sight in the good eye.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 3:21 pm

ELLEN
That is good news. I hope he continues to recover. Thanks for posting this!

I bit into a vulcanized marshmallow once.....ewwwww!! tongue Sorry about your crispy treats!ROFL

It is the coldest it has been in a long time today. I have already replaced the chickens' water twice from being frozen. The horses are all wearing their blankets and will be until at least Wednesday. It's going to make Thursday's 43° seem like springtime.

I am supposed to go to the dentist on Friday to be measured for my implant tooth. Snow is predicted for all day on Friday. I may delay the appointment a little....
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 am

Ark, I went to the store and got new marshmallows. They melted just like they should and I made some good rice crispie treats. At least, I guess they're good. I made a big dish of them and most of them are gone. In the next few days, I'm sure the rest will disappear. Very Happy

We had a nice get-together this afternoon. The Florida neighbors were here for a couple of hours, and were a surprise for the other neighbors. They fly back to the warmth of Florida tomorrow. The rest of us chatted and ate until about 6:00 this evening, wanting to avoid going out in the cold.

The ice in front my house is about 3 inches thick now. Travis was out there with his ice auger to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 8:29 am

ELLEN: We were prepared to lose the game after the nightmare in Cinci where Ben was hurt & Antiono was almost killed. Of course, we always have hope for our boys, they almost pulled it out. Oh well, there is always next year. Congrats to all the winners on Sunday.

That was good news about Mike. Praise God...Praying for Mike, Susan and thier entire family.

ARK: It's cold here too and they are predicting a big snow storm this weekend. Hope they are WRONG. People are freaking out already, just the mention of snow and off to buy the toilet paper, bread and milk they go. It always amazes me after living here for almost 30 years people still freak out when it snows. Good luck at the dentist.

Now I'm hungry for rice crispy treats and my marshmallows are over the hill.

Ace seems to be better. I stopped at the pet store yesterday and got him some different dog food. They recommended Zignature Turkey. It's a newer dog food. She gave me 4 sample bags to try so far he has kept it down. I have been mixing 1/4 cup in with his chicken and rice and will increase it slowly. Praying this food is the answer.

I'm off to the eye doctor this Friday. Hopefully I won't need new glasses this year.

Have a good week everyone.

Love & prayers for everyone...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am

ELLEN
9° here this morning with a wind chill of -5°. Should be illegal. Rolling Eyes I have a birthday lunch to go to, so have to get outside and feed the hungry herd. I would rather stay inside today.

TRUDY
I so hope THEY are wrong about the upcoming weather. A foot of snow is predicted for Friday.... affraid affraid affraid I could happily go all winter without any. I have milk and bread, but being locked up without a few goodies concerns me a little... popcorn

I have seen some warnings about some dog foods being contaminated from ingredients out of China. Beneful was one I can remember being implicated. Ace may be safer eating his home made dinners. It's a shame we can't trust our food supply anymore.

ROSE
How are you??

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Beech, we r just fighting the cold weather, going to pt and dr. appts. I'm zapped energy wise. more snow on our horizon.

Ark, don't know if it will work for you, but we use a heated dog water bowl for our chickens, works very well.

We got the running boards put on our truck so we don't look like a turtle on our backs crawling in anymore, thank goodness!

Stay warm y'all and safe.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 2:57 pm

That's a good idea, CB. I just ordered a heated water bowl for my neighbors' cats on Amazon for $20. They work great to keep the water from freezing, even in really low temperatures.

Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 4:24 pm

CB Hooray, you're there! I'm the last person with any earned rights to expect others to post, but I'll bet I could take high honors for worrying!

ELLEN Thanks for posting that good news about Mike from Tuzee. Tell her that he's still got a rooter in Maine. And I'm glad you're getting lake ice! I haven't checked ours yet this week, but this cold must be delivering, and, though I'm not keen on shivering, I like the return to apparent normalcy. I hope all the fishing shacks will now be reappearing; I love all the varied ingenuity they display, and the colors. And, oh how I wish I lived closer to those rice-crispy treats! I'd help you make them disappear in hours, just hours...

TRUDY I hope Ace is on the mend. When I was sick last year, a friend brought me some Rachel Ray dog food (for my dogs, not me, ha ha) and I've stuck with it since then, expensive though it is, mixing it with small amounts of a homemade dog-stew of meat, rice, carrots, egg, and potato. (Though I've been really lazy about that stew part lately.) Big dog's soft black fur now shines like it's spit-polished and both dogs have energy to spare, so I recommend that. I would shun Beneful, btw, not only because of the contamination threat but as a protest against maker Purina, whose parent company is Nestle. That massive food-conglomerate, headquartered in Switzerland, tried to drill the water out from under two of our little towns here (including mine), and I was part of a successful effort that stopped that.

Off, now, to see about getting the snowblower fixed, to pick up some forms as part of the process of getting a new doctor, and to pick up a few grocery-store goodies. Going to bundle way, way, way up! Wicked sharp wind here on top of a temp of about 12.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Word from the Missing!   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 5:02 pm

I am here ya'll, still staying with Robin, not strong enough to head out on my own yet, but soon I hope. Very short and simple version of the accident: I was preparing to dismount, half on, half off, Essie spooked at God only knows what, took off across the arena like a bat out of hades, she stopped suddenly, I didn't! Broke 8 ribs, several with multiple fractures, broke collar bone, bruised heart and lungs seriously. Worried for a week that I had damaged colon and/or bladder, but they are fine. I will not try to ride Essie again, even though I know that she is still sweet and certainly meant no harm. She immediately walked over to my crumbled body on the ground and began snuffling my hair and face. Thank God Mike is better!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 6:06 pm

ROSE! We are sooo glad to hear from you!!! I'm so sorry that this happened when you were so excited about having a horse again. I hope you heal and feel better FAST!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 pm

THANK YOU Miss Rose for letting us know what happened and that you are on the road to recovery.

============

The decision as been made and our lovable old mare is scheduled to cross the Rainbow Bridge on Friday. Feet "issues" will never get better and she is showing more and more being in some pain when moving. 23rd birthday would be 31 March. Its been quite an experience!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 12:03 am

TRUDY, glad Ace is better.........hope his new food works out. Keep us posted.

ROSE, thanks for posting and still praying for your strength to come back soon.
So sorry for the whole damn mess.

CB, hope Harry's PT is going fine...........

All of you in cold country, gather your goodies and hunker down......

RICK, really sorry about Phony Pony.............she's part of our horse family and heartbreaking for all of us.

ARK, nice pic at the top..............

Everyone have a good evening.......prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 1:18 am

Yes rose, ditto what graymare says....I'm glad you posted, we missed you and like Beech said, we are the queens of worry when we don't hear from our chicks. heal quickly but behave! And please post as often as you can to keep this nosey dang broad updated! cuz like everyone else, I care!

Gm, We r hunkered! made some food and have sandwich stuff just in case we lose power, filled the tub with water, brought in fire wood. we r good....harrys pt and dr appts were cancelled...so we r just staying home. he's doing really good walking without his cane outside now too.

Freezing rain....ice everywhere.....

Rick, sorry to hear about this. tough decisions fall on us that only we can make for their sakes.

Stay warm y'all
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 pm

If you can picture this in ur minds:
One huge 850 pound bale of alfalfa hay
2 old fogies, one limping still
And 1 chain saw
And 100 flakes of hay when all said and done. hubby sawed and threw the chunks over, I pulled the flakes apart and stacked them, I have to say it had to be a good workout cuz we were sweatin to the beat of a ragged chainsaw.....
Came inside and showered....and r now collapsed.

We have power, it stayed on thru the ice and our snow. farther north of us got hammered, tho. glad we were prepared for the worse and it didn't happen....not even a faint whisper of a breeze today, it feels warmer than 25 without the wind...animals r out roaming the ten acres like it was spring. saw baby deer tracks this morning in the yard, but no big ones. have seen 4 more eagles this week, wish I had a good camera for pics.

Sad news today on foop fest, Turkey passed away....R.I.P. GLURK. HUMS for her family.

Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm

God Bless Turk's family. No more struggles or pain for her. RICK, give Miranda many scritches from her Foop family and peaceful and swift journey over the Bridge. Gentle hugs for you and Carole. You guys gave her many years of love and care.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 1:11 am

Glurk was very special.  I am sad about her passing.  I loved the Animal Planet show she and her house turkey starred in.  I still had a vcr tape of it until the truck hit our house and destroyed the tape.  ((((((Diana's family))))))

ROSE
 I am very glad to see you posting!  Hopefully it means you are feeling a little better.....even a teensy amount is improvement.  Sorry about your accident, the ground gets harder with each passing year.  It is why I wear a riding vest on Areion.  Hitting the ground just once from her, and only cracking a rib, made me into a vest believer.  I can't imagine actually breaking 8 ribs.   I would hug you, but don't want to make you hurt worse!

RICK
 Miranda has been in our herd a long time.  I am very sorry to hear of her imminent departure.....

CB
 That is a big bale of hay!  Sounds like Harry is doing pretty well. cheers

TRUDY
 We may get upwards of 2 feet of snow on Friday and Saturday! affraid   Noooooooo!!!!!!  I so hope they are wrong.  I will be making soup in the crockpot tomorrow....and maybe cookies..  Donnie will be working on the snowblower and tractor tomorrow to make them ready to move the snow. No

GRAYMARE
Thanks, that is a photo of Kazi and Daisy in their active days. Very Happy
No lesson for me tomorrow, we will be going to the store for milk and bread Laughing .
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am

CB: It's amazing what two old fogies can still manage to get done. We can out work those youngins any time, it may take a little longer but we are determined. LOL

RICK: So sorry to hear about Miranda. Lots of hugs for you, Carol and phony pony. She will have lots of Foop horse friends to run with in horse heaven. It's the hardest decision to have to make for our ponies. Sad

ROSE: Glad to see you posting. So very sorry about the accident. Prayers for a quick healing for you.

ARK: They keep changing our snow amount so I guess we will do what the Amish do..look out the window and don't listen to the weatherman who never has a clue anyway. I was wondering if those were your horses in the photo. Great shot, they are in step with each other.

Prayers for Turkey's family also.

Thanks for all good wishes and tips about dog food for Ace. He seems to be doing well on this new dog food, but he is still on chicken and rice also. Adding more and more dog food with every meal. He spent his life eating Blue Buffalo, but all of a sudden it makes him sick. They may have changed something in the formula, who knows. All I know is I have cleaned up enough dog vomit. I read some reviews on the new dog food and so far it sounds like a great food. Time will tell if Ace can continue on it.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am

Early here but just saw the national weather forecast. It sure looks like the PA and VA folks are going to get some snow.............then on up to New England.
Hope you all have a good book, some good stew or soup, coffee & tea, and the ability to keep the house warm.

Hope the midwest folks stay warm, also............winter is here.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 am

Early here for me too....190 school closures so far...snow south of us but even tho the weather guy says we r getting heavy snow in our area, its ice and the trees are so shiny under my pole light and I could feel the mist coming down when I opened my door to peek out. freezing mist. we r fine as long as my power stays on to keep the tanks from freezing, otherwise ill be bucketing water we have in the bathtubs out to animals a bucket at a time....we have a fireplace and wood and food. I'm beginning to hate winter time tho....

Ark, I didn't know that they were your horses, so neat. be careful in the storm all you north and east folks

Going to try to get 20 more winks before I have to feed.....later taters.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 7:25 pm

We are in a phase of cold nights, and not quite so cold days. With the couple of inches of snow we got a couple of days ago, everything is white.

Rick, I'm so sorry you have had to make the tough decision about Miranda. I wish I had something to say that would make it all better.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 am

Very long day. brother had to go by ambulance to er for breathing treatments and iv antibiotics, blood work and exrays. after 5 hours, he was released with his own nebulizer and antibiotics, so he can do his own breathing treatments. bronchial infection. I sure had a fight on my hands to get him to go.

Its been a long tiring day. yawnnnn. 272 school closures today and more already listed for tomorrow. dang cold and ice and snow sure is taking a toll on us. critters seem fine, tho. fat and sassy.

Sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

Snow started just before dawn. It's so heavy I can barely see the barn 300 feet from the house. We have 4 or 5 inches so far with up to 2 feet possible. Soup cooked in the crockpot overnight, tractor is ready to scrape, we got a carton of icecream and extra cat food at the store, I think we are ready to hunker down for a few days. Very Happy

In case we lose power, have a great (and hopefully warm) weekend!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Gonna reschedule for Phony Pony ... it is sleeting / freezing rain and I am NOT gonna ask my friend (backhoe) to come out in this weather to bury a horse. I still have some pain med and she'll just get a reprieve till after the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Our forecast has been changed to 1 to 4, but we shall see what mother nature gives us tonight and tomorrow. We have supplies and are ready to hunker down if need be. I'm making a blackberry pie this afternoon for comfort food during the storm.

RICK: Probably a good idea to postpone due to the weather. It's a hard enough experience without factoring in the bad weather too. Prayers for you Carol and Miranda.

CB: Prayers for your brother. Gosh our family members sure can make us want to choke the poop outta them at times.

ARK: Hang in there and enjoy that soup..

Stay safe and check in if you get a chance. Prayers for everyone...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2016
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next