Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

April 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: April 2016   Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:53 pm

April 2016

Happy April Fool's Day!!!

sunny sunny  One of my very favorite photos of Donnie and Areion sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:06 pm

March went out like a lion here, the wind was howling yesterday.  It was supposed to rain, so we cancelled my riding lesson, then it never rained until after dark....sigh....So my riding lesson is on Monday.

Areion's 7th birthday (and BEECH's ? birthday) is next week on April 6th, so I posted that picture of Areion and Donnie doing their smiling routine. Very Happy She used to smile whenever you scratched her withers. Now she doesn't smile, but will nuzzle you when you scratch her. I sort of miss those smiles!

CB:
 Have a really fun trip!  wavy

Ooops, now I forgot what else I read before posting.  So everyone post and tell us what is going on and refresh my little mind!  Laughing

I had another fun trip to the dentist today to get what I hoped would ONLY be a cleaning.  I am still recovering from sticker shock over the tooth implant I got 10 days ago.  The dentist informed me that I have a crack in the opposite side molar that will "ultimately" need to be capped.  I told him I hoped ultimately wouldn't be too soon.   Rolling Eyes  And I have a small filling that needs to be done.  Sheesh.  

I dried another 3 pound batch of Granny Smith apples in the dehydrator.  My new apple peeler/corer/ slicer made that job quick and easy. 24 hours in the dehydrator and I have another quart of dried apples in a jar.    I think I am ready for our tree to burst forth in apples this year!  I still have to learn how to make apple sauce, apple butter, canned apples, stewed apples, and whatever else one can make from apples. cheers
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:11 pm

ARK...maybe the dentist meant April Fool.....................one can only hope!

Big news here ARK................I bought a mop today. I'm just Susie Homemaker
personified............I have some old stuff that I am in the process of just plain tossing..........next is an old small cabinet that can't be repaired again.........it's a cheap old thing we had paint in and it's rotted...............no new cabinet needed. I'll just smash it up with a sledge and put it in the trash.

I love that pic of Donnie & Areion. If that doesn't put a spring smile on everyone's face, nothing will..............great memories of babies............

Everyone have a great evening..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:33 pm

It rained this morning, and then again after dark this evening. Late this afternoon I went down and picked up some more sticks. Boy, those trees sure had a lot of little junk that cracked and scattered all over the place when the trees came down. I can't handle the big chunks, other than to roll them to one location, but I can pick up the little trash and get it ready to burn.
I think the next time I go to Walmart or Meijer, I'm going to look for a small cordless vacuum just for little messes for which I don't want to get out the big Kirby. LOVE my Kirby, but can be a nuisance to get out just for one little mess. So, I won't buy a mop, but will get a vacuum.
You know my life is exciting when my only conversation is about a vacuum and picking up sticks. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:17 am

We are all getting so domestic! ROFL Mops, vacuums, and apple peelers, oh my! Laughing

Speaking of domestic: I just admired the new house that HGTV is giving away. I really like the kitchen. We still need to renovate our thrown together kitchen and I may borrow some of their ideas. The greyish cabinets with white counter tops were very pretty, along with the tile on the wall. I am a bit inspired. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:57 am

Not much happening here either. Just trying to get thru the last few days of winter, Old Man Winter just refuses to give up this year. Hope he doesn't kill off my Lilacs that are trying to start to flower. Snow tomorrow morning. YUCK Colder than normal weather for the next week.

Our neighbor spread a load of manure on the garden the other day so the soil is ready to start working. George doesn't seem to thrilled about the garden this year. He is even buying plants and not growing them himself. The thrill is gone...LOL Plus we have lots of veggies in the freezer from last year.

Someone threw another cat out here last week. My poor barn cats are petrified, the stray is chasing them and I heard a cat fight the other day. Blazes leg was torn open. LT was way up in the rafters yesterday morning when I went out to feed them. Bandit is missing. GGGRRRRRRRR I HATE those people who do that.

ARK: Loved that photo of Donnie & Arieon. What great smiles. So sorry you are having more teeth issues. YUCK.

Have a great weekend everyone..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:21 pm

We had almost a blizzard today. The waves on this little lake were over a foot high with white caps everywhere. It snowed so hard I couldn't see half way across the lake. At the moment, the snow has stopped but the wind hasn't. For a while, the snow didn't stick, but later it cooled down enough that there is a very light covering of snow. I'm ready for it to be GONE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:22 pm

WOW, ELLEN................brrrrrrr. Hope tomorrow is better. It's still cool here at 77 today.........I finished weed whacking and poison spraying........whew. It's not so hard if caught right off the bat. If I wait, it gets rugged. So on to playing with horses for awhile..............

And, with a new mop & trashcan, things in my house sparkle............
LOL. Don't anyone be jealous.............. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:16 pm

ELLEN
 We got your weather, minus the snow.  It was 28° last night with 60mph windgusts.  The wind blew things out from hidey holes that I didn't think it could reach.  It's still miserably cold and windy even this afternoon.  I had a bowl of water out overnight for the roosters that froze with windy lumps in it.  We put a little heater in the horse trailer where Dory the stray is being kept while she recovers from her surgery.  She stayed warm.  

This is the coldest we have been since March 1st.  Not a very funny April fools joke...The cold must be terrible for you after a month in Texas!

GRAYMARE
 Okay I am jealous.  Maybe a new mop and trashcan would inspire me to get some spring cleaning done. Nothing else has! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Ark, the wind and cold left here and went to your house. It started out really cold this morning, about 30, but late in the afternoon, it is up to almost 60. I went down and picked up more sticks, bit by bit. I'll get all I can move, but the guys will have to handle the big stuff. Besides, they are the ones who want it for their woodstove. However, getting all the little trash stuff picked up makes the job appear a little less daunting. When I get a day that isn't windy, I'll burn a lot of the junk wood.
Once all the tree trash is picked up, I'm going to have to get some topsoil to fill the holes that the trees made when they fell. There are a couple of pretty good sized ones.

Rose, now that Jeff has retired, who is your favorite driver now? Dale Jr.? There are several young guys coming up who are going to be really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Oh brother. Friend has never owned a horse or mule and has always wanted a mule. Bought one online. It's due in on Tue night or Wed morning. No, she doesn't know how to ride. No she doesn't have one stitch of tack. She has a place to board. She has a truck and is buying a trailer today so she can get out on the trails after she buys a saddle. I know you all think I'm kidding but I truly am not. My prayer is that this mule is the best mule on the planet. She said this mule was advertised "anyone can ride"...................the mule is a john, 15, and had been owned by an old man that trail rode him everywhere.

I'm still in shock...She never said a word to me as I have been after her for 2 yrs to take riding lessons to see how her one titanium hip and two steel knees can take it. She called yest to tell me she is starting riding lessons this week prob and then told me on her very own mule. I told her she might want to let him settle in his new home first. She is so excited I just rolled with her excitement & happiness and am counting on all this to work out..........She doesn't care if she never gets to ride much, she just knows she loves this mule.
Her entire riding experience for her entire life is riding down the Grand Canyon twice over 35 years. She is a retired Eng teacher so I have demanded a book from her, or by her, I should say. You'd just have to know her.......she is really funny. I hope all this is really funny and not a bit upsetting. Over the years she had Lord knows how many foster kids so not much upsets her. She is a great woman and at 71 has checked one more item off her bucket list...........she now owns a mule.

Everyone have a great day...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:37 pm

Wow!  That is one brave lady.  I hope.  Like you said, this better be the best mule on the planet.

I wonder where CB is now, if they are in Texas yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rose

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:50 pm

No new horse yet! Still looking. The lady that owns where Robin boards in Blythewood has graciously offered to teach me to harness and drive the mini type pony they have that is already well trained and sweet, Strawberry is his name! I just worry whether a small pony can haul 160 pounds around but lady doesn't think it's a problem. Would at least show me whether I would like driving Laughing

Ya'll offer up some favorable thoughts that Robin can make her first house sale soon. She is not discouraged by any means but I want her to get a leg up and I think her first sale would do that.

I cannot believe that here in SC in April, we have 3-4 mornings predicted below freezing!!! Yikes! And daytime temps only 50-60 deg, what's up with that?

Robin's and Johnny's GSD has very unsteady rear end/legs, a little whispered prayer please, for Memphis, this is Noah's pride and joy. I've ordered her some Flexoril Advanced for large dogs as I have seen this stuff work miracles! Praying it help her, she is only 9 yo.

Gotta fix some din-din, see ya'll a little later hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Prayers for Robin as she engulfs on her new career, ROSE......and for their dog. So much harder as Noah is so young to face this........

Hey, try driving Mini's..........we drive them in our program and the kids LOVE it....................you don't need to drive 10 mi........they're fine for going along
and very sweet................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 pm

GRAYMARE
I also sincerely hope he is the best mule on the planet, for her sake. Wonder why he is being sold? Hopefully not for tossing his owner over a cliff. I hope it is love at first sight for the lady and her mule. Does she know what the mule's mother's breed is? I hope the lady takes her time getting to know him. From having owned the donkey side of a mule for 18 years, I can tell her that self preservation is its #1 priority. Cactus does nothing if he isn't sure it is safe. He takes his sweet time deciding that, too. He also doesn't spook like a horse, a plus for the mule. Good luck and happy times for her!

ROSE
Zippy, who is 37 inches tall, can pull both Donnie and me easily on the flat, and one of us easily going up a very steep hill. He is stronger than he looks. I took him on a 15 mile poker ride when he was young and he did great. Ponies can pull more than they can carry on their backs. Unless you are going straight uphill thru deep sand, the pony will be fine pulling you....and your little dog, too!Very Happy I never let a kid weighing more than 60 pounds ride him, but Zippy can pull more than 300 pounds.

ELLEN
We had nice temps today, 70ish, but the wind was strong all day. My arena is dry enough that the wind blew it around. It made for interesting riding during my lesson, but we did okay. Dust devils and sudden clouds of sandy dust kept zipping across the arena. It didn't seem to bother the horses, though. The rest of the week will be cold, sniff, sniff...

I may have found someone to ride with! A lady who lives a mile or so down the road is interested in riding with me. She has done some endurance riding and is a large animal vet tech at VA Tech. She needs to start off slow because she is bringing her horse back from an injury. This works out fine with me and my glitchy hip joints. Hope we get along! I need a riding partner.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:38 am

Oh my gosh! Did anybody see the NCAA final game ending? Game tied. 4.7 seconds left on the clock. Villanova has possession and has to travel the length of the floor. One pass, and the receiver of that pass launches a HUGE 3 pointer. The time clock runs out after the ball leaves his hand - and goes in the basket. It doesn't get any closer than that.
Two really good teams; one of them had to win and one had to lose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:21 pm

I missed the game ELLEN.............

ARK, I know nothing thus far about Andy the mule.......15, dark bay, stated to be an "anyone can ride", no spook, etc..............I have named my friend Francis and her mule, now Frankie.........not sure if she thinks I'm funny or not. She called, very excited, to tell me he is officially on his way to AZ........Anyhow, I'm now excited to see the "A" team............friend is already excited and scheduled to go to a big mule clinic the 15-16th of April..........she already has a 3/4 ton truck and is prob headed to the trailer dealers today.......I don't know that for sure, I just think that. All the gang has told her what she needs and she is holding off to decide what she needs. She wants to talk to the mule people at the clinic to buy mule tack. I told her smart move. So, so far she has a new halter, lead, brushes, hoof pick, a grooming box, and a home barn for Frankie. Oh, and a riding instructor...............not to mention the blah blahs that will ever so freely tell her what to do at every move. Dear God, help her. It sure will be fun, tho.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:32 pm

This will be a fun on-going saga about Frankie and Andy.

I took my kayak to Bristol this morning, hoping they can fix it. The fix-it guy wasn't there, but will be later. The owner will call me on Friday to let me know the results.

While I was up that way, I drove by Candace/Sapp's house and her mother's. Her mother's place has a trampoline in back and a couple of horses at the barn next to that house. The red paint on the house is a bit faded, but it looks the same otherwise.
Candace's house looks the same too. There are several horses in the paddocks, and it appears they might be making a dressage ring.
Indy might know more about what is going on there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Francis sent me Frankie's description:

"This is "ANDY" a super broke DARK BAY JOHN MULE that is broke for anyone to ride. He is super gentle and quiet. This mule has been ridden bay an older gentleman trail riding and also been ridden by youth riders. He has excellent ground manners, he loads, hauls, bathes, and clips with no fuss. He picks up all four feet with ease and also handles his ears. He is traffic safe and is not spooky. He is so broke you can ride him backwards, bareback, double or any other way you want to ride him. He is a very nice mule that is smooth at all speeds, honest, and dependable. He rides the same every time and he isn't going to do anything dangerous or out of the way. He will cross water, mud, and travel over steep terrain with ease. This is a super nice mule that is gentle and kind. "

I know my friend has been in touch w this lady for about 6-7 mos but after the fact. We'll see.............she put the lady that sent her this info in charge of finding her a mule.........she's either in TN or KY. We can only pray this is all on the level. My friend did do research on the lady.........
I'm just now hearing some of the details....................

I'm very leery of the internet so I'm way behind the times...........people get married from the internet................It's all "new times" and I'm out of the loop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Well I hope Andy is all he is described to be. I wonder if the mule locator actually rode Andy? Some folks really swear by mules as the greatest of equines. Others just swear at them....

ELLEN
I forgot about the broken kayak. Sure hope the fixer can fix it! Summer will eventually arrive, although you can't tell it by today's weather. It must have been sad seeing Candace's farm. Sad

I was out early this morning cleaning the barn and freezing my patootie off, it was so cold. But I made it to Wytheville early for my belated birthday lunch with my friend, M. We sat and gabbed at Ruby Tuesday's for 5 hours. That same, now unfrozen, patootie got tired of that seat! We had a fun time catching up....and I got presents Very Happy .

CB
Are you home?

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:34 am

ARK. I forgot to tell you how happy I am that you have found a riding pal..........
just in time for the good riding time of year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:12 pm

It was sad to think about Candace and John both being gone, and Chris moved to Florida. I don't know if Chris is still living or not. I was glad to see horses around both places.

It's always more fun to have somebody to ride with; glad you found a new friend.

I am very familiar with that talking for five hours thing. My best friend and I do that now and then. When I was in Texas, we did a lot of that sitting out on the patio.

Graymare, did the mule arrive yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Still on the bus ELLEN...............friend is half crazy waiting. Poor thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:27 am

Addendum LMAO: In Francis' excitement she thought driver meant delivery time between 12 noon & 4P today. He meant midnight to 4A. Frankie is here but don't know details yet.

This is GOOD. lol! ROFL :dance:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:41 am

Well that must have been a surprise! Are you going over to see the mule? We need pix and details and more pix of her happy face! wavy I sure hope it works out well for her.

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

Happy Birthday, BEECH!!

(Yep, I forgot to post this yesterday... Embarassed ) Hope you had a GREAT one!! You should consider buying a mule..... Very Happy

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2016   

Back to top Go down

April 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next