Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

June 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:09 pm

CB
I hope you get things figured out, and fixed up, very soon! We have all missed you here. hug

RICK
Got your email. I am passing along word that your computer has a glitch and that you will be posting here again soon. We are all waiting on your travel log!! I am glad you are home safe after a great trip.

Donnie is out toiling in the fields. The weather is great for putting up hay. He thinks we will get more than last year. Thankfully, that little hurricane, Colin, didn't come this way! I bet TALLYPAM got a drenching.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Ohhhh, CB. I'm sorry tings aren't going well. Hope you get it fixed up fast.

Ark, I sure don't envy you the job of handing hay, but it sure would be nice to be able to produce most of your own hay. I know the equipment cost plenty, but with the cost of hay it's probably about even, and will get better the more years you do your own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Now that I have found you all again, I need to find time to get caught up on what everyone has been doing. Been super busy this spring. I advertised on Craigslist for someone to work up my pasture and reseed it. Met a very nice man and his family who was willing to drive his tractor an hour to get here. The first of May he and a friend showed up with two tractors, a disc and a seeder and two kids. It was a good day to work up the field. Over cast, and drizzley. Dampened the ground making it easier to turn. Nice moisture for the seed without it getting washed out. However by the time they were done the guys (and the kids) were damp through. They still had an hour drive home. They had to be at their fairgrounds by like 1:00 with one of the kids pigs to get them registered for fair. Because they had to be at the fairgrounds they didn't plant all of the seed that the seed supplier said should be planted. The farmer assured me that he had put down plenty and I had purchased too much. We agreed that if what was planted didn't come up as heavy as I liked he would come back and plant more. The seed came up very patchy. In all fairness though the weather turned cold after the planting so we're not sure if the sparseness was due to it not being planted heavy enough or because of the weather. I know many farmers around here have had to replant both corn and beans this year because of the cold. Anyway he came back last weekend to reseed it.

to be continued...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:36 am

Hi Indy. Even my yard grass didn't grow as well this year. Since I had all the tree mess in the yard, it was good not to have really tall grass too. I hope the guy does come back and reseed yours. An hour's tractor ride in the rain would not be my idea of a good time.

Wow! I have three hummingbirds, one on each side of my feeder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:37 am

Just a quick check in to let you know I'm still alive and well.

Well the #$%&%$# ground hog has stuck again. This time he ate my sunflowers. GGRRRRRRR I had 7 plants growing nicely, I managed to salvage 3 of them and hastily transplanted them in the big fenced in garden. I am so mad...

Things have been very crazy here. 2 daughters in the hospital for different reasons, one in Maryland and one in Wilkes Barre VA. Son with both his vehicles in the garage. UUGHHHHHH KIDS.....

Busy getting ready for the Purple Heart Convention that starts on Sunday & runs until Weds in between hospital and garage runs. When things do down hill they go quickly. Keeps us hopping that's for sure.

Praying all is well with everyone on the forum. I'm off and running early this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Ark, how is the hay making going?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:58 am

ELLEN
 We finished with 236 bales yesterday afternoon.  It was better than expected.  Donnie's hayfield rehabilitation project seems to be working!  Very Happy   We are sooooo tired....  The barn is stuffed, we are going to have to figure out where to put the second cutting.  We still have most of the upper field's hay from late May' s first cutting, there isn't room for any more in the barn.  This is a good thing.... Very Happy

With decent weather, we could get a second cutting in early August.

So how is your deck work going, ELLEN?

TRUDY
 Wow.  Sorry about all the health emergencies.  I hope everyone is improving.  We have trapped several groundhogs over the years with apples as bait.   Our problem right now is a raccoon getting into the barn who won't get into the livetrap.  We have pix of him sneering at it.... Rolling Eyes  Cheeky fellow makes a mess.  At least no snakes this week!  

INDYAPP
 Sorry about the replanting problems.  Our grass had a hard time getting started this year, it was chilly for so long.  But in the last couple of weeks, it grew like mad.  Sunshine helped.  I hope you get your pasture fixed up soon!

We are doing next to nothing today.  Our reward for the last few days. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:21 am

Wow, Ark! Good job! Sounds like you're going to get enough hay to make it through the winter. Boy, that's sure a lot of hard work.

The deck was finished last fall. The only thing left to do is the cable railing. Lowes called to say that the cable I ordered had finally come in, so I'll go pick that up today, along with the posts and hardware. Then, I'll need to pressure wash the whole thing and stain it. One of my cousins was telling me about a paint that looks natural, but doesn't need redoing for quite a few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Gang, mountain summer is in gear with festivals, music groups, vendors etc. so we're all over the White Mountains visiting and having general fun. ARK, one vendor had everything Alpaca and I thought of you. Two alpacas were with them. They were so friendly and sweet. The one gal was weaving and she had gorgeous rugs. We will now hide out here until about Wednesday when the mountains empty out and then gear up for Friday when they fill up again.

We've mostly just been enjoying going Ranger riding, friends, food and scenery.........oh, and that fresh mountain air and smell.

Horses are fine at home and have big fans on at night to keep night bugs away.
Ha, they stand right in front of them.

I watched the race yesterday and Exaggerator lost. I was hoping Kent Desormeaux would win as he publicly has placed himself in a detox/rehab center for alcoholism.......I couldn't tell if the loss was jockey induced or if the horse simply ran out of gas after the far turn. It looked to me as if it was the latter. Anyhow, it was a safe race and all was well. Victor Espinosa announced "riders up" for the race. Racing. It's an exciting crapshoot for sure.

TRUDY, hoping things are straightening out at your house. CB, hoping we hear from you soon. INDY, we're anxiously waiting for your next chapter on pasture management. Hope the seeding has greened up by now.

No other news from here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Oooo. Alpaca wool is soooo soft! Even people who are allergic to sheep wool can sometimes wear alpaca. My favorite winter sweater/jacket is made from alpaca.

The hummingbirds are really working on my feeder. I love watching those tiny little birds.

After yesterday's heat and humidity, today is WONDERFUL. About 80 with low humidity, and a breeze.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:06 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hello. What's up folks?

B O R I N G this morning here. I just cleaned & wiped all of the kitchen (&floor),
& organized the laundry. Going for a hike around 7:30A. It's sunny & clear, brisk of sorts, about 45. One of those days when you know you're lucky to walk out & about...............oh, game day today.........I think it's Mexican Train. We blab and laugh, then take all dogs for another hike..............yep, busy. We're simply a goofy bunch enjoying later years.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:56 pm

CB, it's been too long since we heard from you. I hope you can let us know....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

From Rick:

It's gonna be awhile before computer issues are resolved ... I'm using my "smart iPhone" and am very slowly mastering the
Carol will get started (hopefully) on her book when she gets her pics next week.  M-A-Y-B-E she'll let me on her computer to do my / MacSnoop's trip report.

Going to 69th Angell family reunion tomorrow and am taking a couple of the Pecan Cheesecake Pies. I am gonna send you a pic and recipe that you can share with fooptroops.

Our love to you as well as the rest of the gang.

Rick

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 am

That looks like a yummy pie, RICK! Come back soon.....

GRAYMARE:
I love alpacas! I saw one once that I would have loved to have had, a pretty female that was honey colored. It was so cute....and cost as much as our car. Rolling Eyes So alpacas didn't get into my little herd of fiber producers. Those festivals you are going to sound like a lot of fun! I love craft fairs.

ELLEN:
Alpaca fiber is like cashmere to spin up into yarn, so soft and in prettier natural colors. I bet I have some in a box somewhere, lost in our garage. Laughing

We had a very hot weekend, in the low 90's! The humidity was bad, too. It was so lucky we got our hay up before that moved in. We spent the weekend basically recovering from our exercise of the days before. Yesterday, Monday, the temps dropped into the low 80s, the humidity was low, and I had the perfect day for a riding lesson. We scheduled in the late afternoon since we thought it would be hotter. The shade comes over the arena by about 6 p.m. Ivan and I had the best lesson we have had in weeks! He was into the 'zone' Laughing and I was almost with him. We finally got the collected trot, at least for a few rounds around the arena, that we have been working on for months...head tucked a bit and lowered, slow trot. My hip joint and thigh muscle were cooperating, for once, and I think that helped me get into the proper position. We did pretty good!

Areion's lesson was after Ivan's when it had started to cool a bit. She never did get into that 'zone' yesterday. I think we changed up too many things for her by riding so late while the other horses were out in the pasture without her. She was fairly spooky and agitated. I decided to be a coward and didn't ride her, but Lori handled several spooks really well. Next time we will ride her first and keep the other horses up during her lesson.

I am off to my first official physical therapy session with the new therapist this afternoon. My doctor says I have bursitis, the x-rays show minimal arthritis. I think the rest from riding intensely has improved my situation and hope the physical therapist can help out, too.

Hope all are well and having a great day! The heat and humidity are back today.....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:23 am

Ark, it was hot - 93 - and HUMID here too on Saturday.  Since once again, my AC decided it was out of coolant, it didn't work.  It was a long hot day, even with a swim.  Sunday and yesterday were wonderful.  Low 80s and low humidity.  
The AC is going to be "repaired" with a new one.  Even though the one I have is less than 8 years old, it has been a problem since it was new.  I'm tired of messing with it. $$$$
Isn't it nice when the weather conditions are just right and horses are so cooperative? Used to love days like that.

Rick's pie looks pretty good. Hope he gets to tell us about his trip pretty soon.

Nothing too exciting going on.  I have a to-do list that I am gradually whittling down, one by one.  Deck railing, vacuum cottonwood off screens, replace broken dock boards, wash windows, pressure wash everything......  on and on.  The cottonwoods are "snowing" with all the fluff blowing around all over the place.

And still no CB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:41 am

I is here! I posted, but it didn't show up. Went fishing Sunday with cousins, everyone caught something but me, I just frowned worms! I did get some nasty chigger bites, ugh.
Went for tests yesterday, drank two bottles of contrast, and found the Dr. Ordered wrong test....holy moly! @#$%&+**!
Pet sitter is coming to take some pictures to sell stuff on craigslist.,,,,so am cleaning and busy getting stuff together.
Have fun everyone, whatever you r doing...riding, repairing, festivals, drooling over alpacas..lol...and rick, that looks really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:11 pm

CB, get some Eucerin Anti-itch lotion. That will really help with chigger itchies.
Hope they get the right tests done and find out what is going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Lately, the cottonwoods have been "snowing" all over everything, including my screens. I was waiting until they were done blowing cotton before I went after them with the vacuum. Today was the day. Oh my gosh! There is a world out there on the other side of my screens! Laughing What a difference!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Dakota, my pet sitter came by yesterday to take pictures of things to put on craigslist, her five year old was with her, we had the puppy, bluey, and beans out playing. She went to her car and beans went with her, came across yard about ten feet from patio table and beans stopped dead and Dakota almost fell over him, he snarled, she backed up, and then we all saw the snake, she reached down to get the dog, grabbed him almost out of range when that stupid snake struck him in the cheek/lip....I grabbed a plastic yard chair cuz that snake was going after them, and pinned him to the ground while hubby got the shovel, made it back to my chair and got weak all over, I can't believe I pinned him, I got that close to it....yikes.  Guess I was in protect mode....it was non poisonous as everyone came by to look. I gave beans antibiotics, benadryl, and prednisone, he's sore in the mouth so he gets soft food, but swelling has gone down.  No one had ever seen a snake colored like this one. Silvery bluish grey, and brown spots that were dull compared to the silver.  Everyone was looking it up on their phones, guess we had a snake party.  I'm just glad Krista didn't step on it...so thankful.
Brother still in hospital, kidneys are shutting down, it doesn't sound good. He good use some hummmmms, Tia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:02 pm

CB
Wow. That must have been quite an adrenaline rush. affraid I wonder what kind of snake it was? Brave Beans! He is definitely a keeper! cheers Have you had any house nibbles? I am sorry about your brother. Is dialysis out of the question?

ELLEN
We need pix of your tree snow! Sounds pretty. My catawba trees are blooming in our yard. They look like bunches of small orchid flowers and smell like honeysuckle. They are dropping off the trees, so we have little white flowers sprinkled in the yard.

We rescued another turtle from the road today and took him down to the creek. He was a pretty box turtle. Second turtle in two weeks and I hadn't seen one in a few years. I hope it means they are increasing in numbers.

We had a terrific thunderstorm this afternoon. I got caught down at the barn and the horses came running back in, so we watched it dump a full inch on the ground. Areion was very nervous about it, the rest were not so nervous.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 am

Sorry, Ark. No pictures of the "snow". This year wasn't as bad as other years. The fluff that landed got blown away and didn't pile up like it has at other times. But, it did a fine job of sticking to the screens.

Nice going, CB, to pin the snake. I know there are some bad boy snakes in your area. Sure glad that one wasn't. Well, I guess it was bad enough to bite, but not poisonous. How is Beans today?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Beans is eating soft foods, is on antibiotics still, but he is acting OK, sleeping a lot.
On another subject, brother is on pain meds, haven't started hospice care tho, going to see him today.
Hot and huuuuuumid here, ugh.
Tomorrow go in for scan....probably take Dr. Six months to give me results.....
Stay cool everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 pm

How are things going, CB?

It is very predictable around here in the summer. 4:00 on Friday, the boat traffic picks up quite a lot. 4:00 on Sunday, the lake traffic dies. In between, there are swimmers, boats, pontoons, and jet skis everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Hello everyone. Just a sort check in from PA.

The Military Order of the Purple Heart PA State convention is over and things are trying to get back to normal around here. It was a great convention. George & I need a rest after those hectic 4 days, but so worth all the effort.

One of our girls is out of the hospital and home and the other one is supposedly leaving the hospital today against everyone's wishes but she is a adult and it's her decision. KIDS....

Today I'm off to walk in The Relay for Life in Milton. I'm walking for my niece who passed away from breast cancer in 2002. I've always wanted to do it so this is the year.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:42 am

I forgot to mention when I almost got to clinic to have scan done they called and said Their power was out from the storm, so I had to drive 42 miles farther to the hospital to have it done...sigh...dang Obama care...we have a perfectly good hospital twenty minutes from where we live and decent drs too, but I have to be seen in a region...although I am on the very edge of that region, I'm an hour from Dr. And two hours from hospital. Crazee.
Hubby is off getting some hitch thing welded, so we can get truck camper on the truck for our trip....to sc, nc, pa. Here's hoping brothers health status is holding, but I don't know....may squish our plans like a bug.
Sunny has talked to a surgeon, but her insurance moves slower than mine.
Have a good weekend and stay cool y'all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:36 pm

CB, I hate it that insurance companies and politicians get to control what care we get and where. I hope you at least get good care, wherever it is.
Is the snake-bite kid doing better now?

It's hot again today. I'll be in the lake most of the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   

Back to top Go down

June 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next