Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

June 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:36 pm

CB, I hate it that insurance companies and politicians get to control what care we get and where. I hope you at least get good care, wherever it is.
Is the snake-bite kid doing better now?

It's hot again today. I'll be in the lake most of the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 am

sunny Happy Summer Solstice!! sunny

ELLEN
 I bet the lake is busy if your weather has been as nice as ours!  A swim sounds pretty good.  Have you tried out your kayak yet?

TRUDY
 How did your 5K go?  Those can be fun, but I haven't done any since my sister hasn't been staying with me in the summer.  

CB
 How is Beans doing?  I hope your scan came out well.  When do you think that you will move?

GRAYMARE
 I heard it was going to be 120° in AZ!! affraid  Wow.  I hope your summer camp is much cooler.  

We had a busy weekend, but managed to go to see "Finding Dory" yesterday afternoon.  Very cute movie!  We watched "Finding Nemo" on video the night before to get ourselves in the proper frame of mind. Very Happy   This week we will watch "Independence Day" to gear up for the sequel coming out next weekend.  

This promises to be a busy week.  Today is horsey lesson day.  Areion is going to a show next Saturday, so she may get a second lesson on Friday.  Then I have to go to the physical therapist on Tuesday and Thursday.  Wednesday will be my only non-scheduled day this week.  I am tired already!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 am

It's been pretty hot here, although nothing like the southwest. I did take the kayak out for a paddle and am pleased as punch. The repair is wonderful. Yesterday I went swimming twice and just stayed in my wet bathing suit and damp cover-up between the two. It's going to be hot and humid today, but supposed to rain later. I plan to stay wet most of today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Full moon here last night was like a gargantuan football field light with bright stars and sky.............we have no light pollution here so it was so peaceful
and gorgeous. You could see the elk grazing not too far from a tank. Yest late afternoon saw 5 longhorn sheep. It's a different world here.........lol, living w the grizz & the deer.

It was a good Father's Day. And, sat out last night............

ARK, I'm anxious to hear about your horse show. ELLEN, whew sounds very hot if you have to stay on the water a lot............did your AC get fixed?

TRUDY, always glad to hear your convention went well. I'm sure it's great to see old friends. Hope your daughters get well fast...........

CB, hope your ins. gets in gear and gets you what you need.............say hi to SUNNY. Tell her to jump in here and catch us up.

Happy summer solstice! flower sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:25 pm

No, the AC is not fixed yet. It's going to take a whole new unit. The guy said he should know by tomorrow when he can get to it. The refrigerant in the old one is R22, which is no longer being made and is nearly impossible to get. After fussing with this AC for the last 7 years, I'm tired of messing with it. The new one will use a newer coolant that is easier to get, and I hope that it won't leak to start with.
I told him that I didn't need to be at the top of his priority list since I do have the lake and can get cooled off when I need to. Other people NEED AC much worse than I do.

The lack of light pollution in the mountains is fantastic. I remember the first time I saw stars when we were in the Grand Tetons, quite a few years ago. It was just amazing to me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 am

The Relay for Life went well. It was so darn hot though. Barb who is a breast Cancer survivor and I walked about 3 miles. Couldn't take the heat. It had been nice and cool until Friday & Saturday when the heat roared back. It was good to do it, even if not as much as I wanted to do. I made a luminary with my Niece's photo and a note that said "always in our hearts and prayers" and wore my shirt that says "I wear pink for my niece" with a breast cancer ribbon on it.

This is a week of relaxing (maybe). Our big July 4th parade is Saturday in Lewisburg. It's the largest parade in Central PA, usually over 300 marching units.

Both girls are out of the hospital and home. They won't listen to anyone and since they are adults it's their decision and they will have to live with whatever happens.

The convention was great. George was elected Jr. Vice Commander of the State of PA, so he is happy and will be busy.

Have a great week everyone.

Love & prayers for all..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

Trudy, plans r still the same, we will get in on the 1st, shadyrest campground, eyersgrove. Be there the 2 and 3rd. Hope you can come by. We will go to carnival in evening so it will be cooler for the dogs. They stay in the truck with ac on.
We debated going with brother not doing good, there isn't much I can do. I'll go visit Saturday before we go. He is so out of energy, he thinks if he sleeps a lot he will get over this....he will surprise the heck out of us all if he does!
Rose still want to meet up while we r in your neck of s.c.
Washer repairman coming today, real estate lady on Thursday to list house.....sigh.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:43 am

Trudy, plans r still the same, we will get in on the 1st, shadyrest campground, eyersgrove.  Be there the 2 and 3rd. Hope you can come by. We will go to carnival in evening so it will be cooler for the dogs. They stay in the truck with ac on.
We debated going with brother not doing good, there isn't much I can do. I'll go visit Saturday before we go. He is so out of energy, he thinks if he sleeps a lot he will get over this....he will surprise the heck out of us all if he does!
Rose still want to meet up while we r in your neck of s.c.
Washer repairman coming today, real estate lady on Thursday to list house.....sigh.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Oops sorry...
Beans is back to normal. All the doxies got wormed, sprayed for fleas, which I didn't see one on the doxies, but the bulldogs r fleay, toenail trims and ears cleaned, brushed....doggie spa. I have to sneak up on odie when he is sleeping on his back, clip a nail or two before he tried to bite my nose, he hates having his nails done! Puppy is eating puppy chow now, I think he is sold. He's a cute Lil applehead type doxie, weighs 3 lbs.
Dr. Gave us some yucky news, he doesn't think skee will make it out of hospital, he's already told the kids and I will go see him tomorrow....even when you know in advance, its hard. I don't know if this will interfere with our trip.....kids will wait until they are here next June together to spread ashes....no service....what does one do? If there was going to be a service I'd be here.....he's heavily sedated now, his daughter Jen and son bobby are with him....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:09 am

CB, prayers for an easy passing for your brother. Gosh, this has been long & hard on you............Dogs are sure a good love balance under this kind of stress.
Sure hope you can get off on your trip. A get away seems good.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:23 am

Prayers for you, CB. You've had a lot to deal with over the last few months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Trudy and Rose, we won't be making the trip home to pa as planned. Sorry. We will try to come in September. Hope to see you both on that trip.
Dr. Is talking hospice.....guess I should stick around.
I am hanging in there, or trying to.
My made loves getting a hose off twice a day, she turns for me so I don't miss any spots, lol. I don't know if I can let her go.....
Stay cool everyone. The heat/humidity is awfullllllll. Even the dogs stay in under the cooler, very quiet....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: TRUDYs photo   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 pm

This photo is from TRUDY referring to her last post:

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: From RICK   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 pm

This post is from RICK:

CALEDONIA!!

You’re calling us … !! (Again!!)

CALEDONIA is the ancient Roman word or name for Scotland and its Roman derivation / origin was one of the big reasons I wanted us to go back one more time.! You’ll understand soon enough.

As you may know, we have already made a few trips to this  beautiful and ancient land over the years and come away each time with renewed awe and respect for the country, the scenery, and the kind and generous Scottish folk.

Our style of travel is to focus on one small geographic area and see it in depth rather than to try to cover too much territory in one trip.  Also, the smaller roads tend to limit our travels to a maximum of 150 miles per day.

On previous trips, we’ve had some time constraints at times and had to  omit some things.  Thus, this trip was carefully planned by Miss Carol to be somewhat a “catch up” around those places and areas and included:

1.   The Isle of Mull on the west central coast.  In 2008, we rode a bus across the southern road on our way to the Islands of Staffa and Iona.  Carol had wanted to explore the northern portion of the island around Tobermory with its colorful harbor buildings and quaint setting.

2.  The Kintyre Peninsula, partly due to the Paul McCartney composed song “The Mull of Kintyre” and to also have coastal views.

3.  The Isle of Arran is called “Scotland in miniature” as it has mountains, lochs, glens, coastal villages and Stone Age antiquities. These antiquities really caught my attention during our first visit to Scotland years ago!!

4.   Carol really wanted to visit the scenic areas around Pitlochry and Aberfeldy, and, of course, it was new to me!!

AND as a BONUS to me, we had three nights in England’s Lake District so I could see  Hadrian’s Wall (of Roman origin) and Carol could finally get to visit Beatrix Potter’s home.  On her two previous attempts to visit, the attraction was closed. PLUS …. We stayed with Christine at Seatoller Farm B & B.  This old farm stead (sheep) was built in the 1600s and is still an active sheep farm in addition to being a small B & B.  We love the place and we both love our dear friend Christine.  We even got to meet her sweet baby granddaughter!

One thing I’ve learned in our 44 years of marriage, is to NOT question Carol’s travel plans and planning skills about “travel”.  She’s done a fantastic job (once again) and has made my job easier.  You see, my job is to “drive the car and tote the suitcases”.  Some way or the other she managed to get us packed in carry on luggage only with NO checked baggage ... for a 16 night adventure!! ... and she also serves as the “nagrivator” and tells me where to go and when / where to turn!!

We start in the next edition …. !!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: From RICK   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

From RICK:

Day 1
May 15, 2016 … OFF WE GO!

Daughter Jillian and her sidekick, Kid Cameron, took us to the Greensboro, NC airport  2 hours before our 1:40PM flight to Philadelphia.  When we got through security, etc. And to our gate, we found that the flight had been delayed until 3:28, then at 3:48, it was CANCELLED!!  We managed to get another flight from the next gate at 3:40PM which got us to Philly with barely enough time to get to the farthest gate in another terminal  for the Glasgow, Scotland overnight flight.  Miss Carol’s smart planning saved us as she had allowed for a long layover at Philly … some 3 ½ hrs … for just such SNAFUS!!  In ALL our travels, we’ve never had a flight cancelled before.  It worked out OK and we got on board and managed to relax for the long flight overnight.  She had paid a bit extra and I got  an exit row seat that gave me some legroom!  I even managed to kinda / sorta nap / sleep some!  Carol covered her head with a scarf and was soon fast asleep … sssnnnnzzzzzZZZZZZ!

Day 2
May 16, 2016 … arrival day!!

We arrived to a beautiful sun filled morning with comfortable temperature and scattered clouds … a perfect day for travel!!

When Carol had made travel plans, she requested a “standard-shift economy sized car”.  What Enterprise had waiting for us was definitely “economy sized” and I could NOT get in it with any sort of ease.  I did FINALLY manage to get behind the wheel and my knees were jammed against the dash on both sides of the steering column. Yes … the seat was all the way back!  We upgraded to a Hyundai i30 that had a diesel engine. It was a sweet running small car with plenty of power and we averaged 53 - 55 mpg on fuel.  Diesel was the same price or a penny or so cheaper than petrol (gasoline).  We were happy.

Our first overnight was to be at Connel just outside the larger town of Oban.  It was about a 100 miles away and we had plenty of  time to make the drive and for me to begin to acclimate to driving UK style on the left side of road in a RH drive car!  We were sad to leave the sunshine behind us,but the scenery was still beautiful along the narrow roads. We passed along side 4 lochs (lakes), and I finally had to stop for a break from driving and grab a cup of coffee.

Our break stop was in the town of Inveraray.  Carol told me we would would be seeing a castle and old gaol (jail) there and that we would be coming back through the town at the end of our trip.  We found a small cafe / coffee shop on the second floor of Inveraray Woollen Mill that was a gift shop / convenience shop on the ground level.  Click and see the 6 photos to get a GOOD LOOK at this small and VERY clean cafe. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186500-d5958023-r208253354-Edinburgh_Woollen_Mill_restaurant-Inveraray_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html#photos;geo=186500&detail=5958023&ff=103267927&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=103&baseMediaId=103267927&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7  We even got to meet the Scotsman bagpipe player dressed in his costume.  He was quite interesting to talk with.  I had a BIG slice of lemon drizzle cake and Carol had a scone.  My cake was about a *17* on a *10* scale.  The BEST part of our little break was the huge serving of hilarity from our waitress Jenn.  She certainly knew how to dish it and could take it also!!  We told Jenn and the bagpiper we would be back on the 31st.  There is much more to be seen and said about this town, but you’ll have to wait until the 31st to read about it!

On our way towards Oban, we passed by a pasture with several of these wooly cattle close to the road … Highland Cattle. Here is a a bit of information about them.  I know its not a “rare breed”, but they are a bit unusual in my area.  Hopefully you can see a pic. Here:  highland-cattle-image-01.jpg

“The Highland breed has lived for centuries in the rugged remote Scottish Highlands. The extremely harsh conditions created a process of natural selection, where only the fittest and most adaptable animals survived to carry on the breed. Originally there were two distinct classes: the slightly smaller and usually black Kyloe, whose primary domain was the islands off the west coast of northern Scotland; the other, a larger animal generally reddish in color, whose territory was the remote Highlands of Scotland. Today both of these strains are regarded as one breed-the Highland. In addition to the red and black of the original strains, yellow, dun and silver-white are also considered traditional colors.

The Highland is the oldest registered breed of cattle, with the first herd book being established in 1884. Around that time, American cattlemen from the western U.S. recognized the natural qualities of the Highland animal and imported them to improve the blood lines of their herds. As a result, the Highland contributed in a great way to the success of the American cattle industry. Today Highlands are found throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Australia, and South America.

Highlands require little in the way of shelter, feed supplements, or expensive grains to achieve and maintain good condition and fitness. In fact, Highland cattle seem to enjoy conditions in which many other breeds would perish. Cold weather and snow have little effect on them. They have been raised as far north as Alaska and the Scandinavian countries. They also adapt well to the more southerly climates with successful herds as far south as Texas and Georgia. Less than ideal pasture or range land is another reason to consider the Highland breed. It has been said that the Highland will eat what other cattle pass by . . . and get fat on it! The Highland is also an excellent browser, able to clear a brush lot with speed and efficiency. “

On a silly, fun note, I had the rare honor of driving on a bridge that crossed the Atlantic!!  Lol!!  Check this out for a quick explanation and a pic of the said bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clachan_Bridge

The last residents of the community of AUCHINDRAIN left in 1967.  This community is unique in that there is nowhere else like it in Scotland.  It is a unique survival of the old communal farming villages that were swept away by the Highland Clearances, emptied by economic hardship, and left behind by change.  Just two centuries ago, Scotland had over 4000 of these “townships” or small farming villages like Auchindrain where groups of families worked the land together.  MAY is not a real busy tourist time here, but we got to nose around and see inside the buildings.  There were several pieces of farm equipment there that I could easily relate to in some manner including a ’47 Ferguson tractor.  Some equipment was originally meant to be horse drawn, but had been modified to be used with the old tractor. You might want to see this site for the pics.  The advance button is below pics on RH side.  http://www.welcometoscotland.com/things-to-do/attractions/museums-and-galleries/argyll-bute/auchindrain-township-open-air-museum  I’m not sure I would put this on a “must see again” list … but that’s just me.

In 2006, Carol and her sister stayed in Connel at Strumhor B & B and Carol and I stayed there in 2008 with Olga and Tony and in 2010 we were “near enough” to invite them out for dinner.  Obviously, we love these folk.  So, when this  trip came up, Carol immediately contacted Olga about a two night stay and SADLY she was not able to accommodate us, but highly recommended a nearby B & B … ARDSHOUSE.

The following I’m quoting from Carol’s scrapbook:  “ … I phoned the woman after looking at her website.  The rooms ranged from $150 to $105 per night and we chose one at the lower price.

SHE:  Why did you choose that one?

ME (Carol):  We will be out 16 nights and we need to stick within our budget.

SHE:  Itis a small room and has a small shower.

ME:  That’s OK as its only for two nights.

SHE:  It is on the ground floor and you can hear people walking upstairs.

ME:  After flying all nights and being up all day we won’t hear a thing.

SHE The other double is the same price and bigger

ME:  But we want the king bed -- we both snore and we can sleep on the edges.

SHE:  Well, this room has a door to the garden. You can send him out there.

ME:  I’ll take it!!!!!!!

Ilze Paterson and her husband Steve made us comfortable and we all laughed about kicking me out to the garden.  She is originally from Latvia. See www.ardshouse.com for more info about where we stayed our first two nights.  We “snacked” for dinner  and I went to bed early, but NOT in the garden!!

See ya at breakfast in the morning…...ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 pm

RICK:
Lots to read! Will be an interesting trip!cheers

TRUDY:
That is a very nice memorial to your niece.... Sad

CB:
I am so sorry about your brother. It is so sad, even from way over here. Sad I hope they keep him comfortable.

ELLEN:
I hope your airconditioning gets fixed or replaced soon. It is getting hot here again, too. We don't have our air conditioning hooked up yet, but it gets cool at night, so we open the windows at night and close them during the day. Donnie has insulated this house within an inch of its life, so it stays pretty cool....unless it gets REALLY hot for several days in a row. Our heatpump remains in its box.... Rolling Eyes

GRAYMARE:
How are you doing in the heat? Is it a lot cooler up in the mountains? Phoenix sounds like an oven. I bet folks are frying eggs on the sidewalk.

We got our "new" trailer road ready yesterday. Inspection, new tires, replaced lights, etc. After having it out for about 3 hours, we were going to park it next to the arena so we could practice getting the horses into it. We had it all parked, unhooked, and ready to drive the truck away when Donnie discovered a tiny bird's nest with two newly hatched chicks in a hidden spot. Poor chicks had traveled about 30 miles. So we hooked it all back up and put the trailer back where it had been parked in the yard. Hopefully the mother wren will come back and take care of her chicks. If they live, we won't get to use the trailer until they fledge, at least a couple of weeks. We will have to take the old trailer to Areion's first horse show competition this Saturday. (Update: the chicks didn't make it. I guess we will use the newer trailer.)

Yesterday, I walked in the kitchen door, went into the t.v. room and looked out the window. A very weird looking skunk walked right by the window to the kitchen door about a minute after I had gone thru it! He checked out everything, then waddled away. Now I know what has been digging holes all over the yard. affraid Donnie took pix thru the window, not thru the door. We didn't want to upset the guy...

Tomorrow we are taking the older trailer to get new tires and inspected. This tire place loves us, we will have bought 15 tires in the past month there after these are installed. We had a tire to blow last year on the old trailer and are now paranoid about tires and trailers.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Rose's Foal, Inky   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:48 pm

ROSE's foal, Inky:   wavy

Wow, he is really growing fast! cheers
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 am

CB: AWWWWW that is so sad to hear about your brother. Praying for him to have a easy passing and for everyone in your family for strength during this terrible time. So sorry you won't be making the trip, but we will get together in September. Keeping you in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Doctor wanted to try one more time to see if he can't pull him out, he has six tubes now....if this doesn't help, its just time.
It is so stinkun hot, whewwww
Trip sounds great, rick.
Inky is going to have a nice build, rose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:16 am

From RICK:

Day 2 … Good Morning…!!
May 17, 2016

One of the nice things about staying in a well run B & B is a delicious, nutritious breakfast to get your body fueled for a busy day. Well, I must admit that I like to eat too, and the typical UK breakfast is a wonderful culinary experience!! It also gives folks a chance to meet and visit with other folk and share experiences, etc.

After breakfast, we headed into OBAN and the Caledonian MacBrayne ferry office and terminal to pick up our tickets … one each for us as well as one for the car. The CalMac ferries service all the islands on Scotland’s west coast with (ferry) ships of all sizes. Oban is a major terminal port for the central coast.

Today, we were heading for the Isle of Mull, and more specifically ( as a turn around point) the picturesque town of Tobermory on the north-east coast. I’ll have more on that in a bit further along on today’s activity. After a pleasant sailing from Oban that lasted about an hour, we exited the boat in Craignure harbor and made a left turn on a single track road to go see DUART CASTLE on the south-eastern coast of Mull.

The MacLean name / family is woven deeply in the historical story of Duart Castle. See: http://www.duartcastle.com/maclean-clan/history-of-the-clan/ for an outline of that history that goes back to the mid 1300’s. I found this website interesting with pictures of the things we saw inside the castle. Be sure to use the “>” and “<“ buttons to scroll through the photos: https://www.expedia.com/Duart-Castle-Isle-Of-Mull.d6092989.Vacation-Attraction

After a brief rest stop in the Durart Castle tea room and gift shop for a cup of coffee and something to nibble on, we headed north … bypassing Craignure Harbor … to our main destination today. This would be the colorful village of Tobermory and its harbor. Take a few minutes and enjoy scrolling (L & R) on the pictures here: http://www.tobermory.co.uk/. There is a small church there in the upper part of the village that Carol wanted to see. Read the article and you’ll learn about the name of the village and you’ll see the beautiful … and simple ...stained glass windows. Unfortunately, we were not able to gain access to the inside, but were able to peer through the windows from the outside: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mull/ourlady/index.html

Weather in the late afternoon was cloudy and damp as we drove back the hour or so to Craignure to catch the ferry back to Oban. This was mostly on a single track road that had numerous “passing places” to handle oncoming traffic. We met several big trucks (lorries) in addition to the cars and had to be alert at all times as the road was rather hilly and curvy. I was glad to NOT be driving my 18 wheeler on this busy road. We arrived in plenty of time for the 5:10 ferry (about 4th in line) and had a nice rest break and snack in a local cafe across the road from the ferry.

After returning to Oban, we decided to go ahead and eat dinner before going on to the B & B. We knew exactly where to go for dinner as when we had been there in 2008 for 4 nights, we ate at the CUANMOR restaurant / pub for 3 of those nights!! The food was THAT good!! www.cuanmor.co.uk Carol had smoked salmon carbonera and I enjoyed my steak and ale pie.

You NEVER know just how small this world is at times until you travel and are thousands of miles away from home and have a unique “coincidence”. There was a young couple that sat at the next table beside us and we could tell immediately they were Americans. Long story made short, they were from California. I told them our oldest daughter lived in Yuba City and the fellow said he had lived in Yuba City at one time and had also attended college in Chico. Our Laurie finished her education at Chico some 10 -15 years before this fellow. SMALL WORLD!!

Tomorrow we leave Connel / Oban and Ardshouse B & B and strike out on more adventures. Breakfast is served at 8:00!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 am

(((((((((((CB & family))))))))))))

Whew, busy trip RICKSTER!

Raining here in the mtns............yippeeeeeee skipeeeeee! Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Areion makes her competition debut tomorrow. She had a lesson with Lori this morning and did well. It was supposed to rain at noon, so we got the lesson done early. It didn't rain. Rolling Eyes We loaded Areion onto the new trailer twice, so she should get on in the morning. She seems to like the new trailer better than the old one. It is roomier. After Lori left, I gave Ivan a bath, because he was filthy, then gave Areion a bath. Areion enjoyed her bath, she likes water. Ivan was convinced he would probably die. Both horses look very nice! I re-bedded Daisy's stall and put Areion in it for the night, hoping to find a clean horse in the morning.

We are going to Salem, VA, about 40 miles from here. Areion will be entered into 4 classes. We are packed and ready to go after feeding in the morning. Hope Areion has a good time!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:07 am

We'll be waiting to hear of Areion's success today. I hope everybody has a good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Good luck at show!

Skees oldest kid skipper, Hurley junior is getting in tonight, he will visit with his dad today, tomorrow and then the ventilator will be removed.....what happens is not in our hands.....I am sending healing vibes or peaceful passing aura.
Seeing him today. I'm gonna cuss him out for leaving me.....sniff Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 pm

From RICK:

Day 3 …
May 18, 2016

Good Morning, Connel / Oban Scotland !!

After a leisurely breakfast and a very enjoyable visit with the other guests, we finally got away at 10:00 AM  heading out for new adventures and territory … our ultimate destination was the KINTYRE PENINSULA.

However, very soon after leaving Oban, we passed through the Kilmartin Valley.  Here in this valley, there is a large concentration of Neolithic sites:  stone circles, groups of standing stones, burial sites, mounds and cairns.  We had stopped and explored this on our 2008 trip, and did not feel the need for a second visit.

However, it is too important and impressive of a site to ignore, so I’ve done a bit of computer research to refresh my memory and share with you. This will tell you a lot about the valley and its antiquities:  http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Kilmartin-Glen/   and if you want to see MORE pictures of the area, check out a few of these:  https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8woCaG1XI8AAmNZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Kilmartin+Valley+Stone+Age+Site+Scotland&fr=aaplw

(Don’t spew your coffee / tea while reading this!!) We passed through the town / village of Tarbert on our way to our B & B for the next two nights.  “Tarbert” translates from the Gaelic language as “draw boat”  and indicates an isthmus.  In 1098 Viking King Magnus Barelegs rode in a longboat as it was dragged across the isthmus.  An island was something you could travel around in a boat.  Therefore his journey made Kintyre an island and he claimed it was his, because he claimed all of the western islands belonged to him.

This will give you a bit more history of Tarbert: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbert,_Argyll_and_Bute … and here you can find more pics of the village and the castle ruin that overlooks the town / village:  https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8ypbfm1XKTMAkCJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Tarbert+Scotland&fr=aaplw

I’ve briefly mentioned a couple times about driving on a “single track road”.  There is an etiquette  that perhaps needs to be explained.  Of course a single track road is a one lane road of varying width, but undoubtedly narrow by American standards.  At random spots along the road, there are “passing areas” that are small pullouts and often just barely big enough for one car or small truck / lorry.

OK now … you are driving along the narrow road and you see an oncoming car…!! You also see about midway between that there is a wide spot or passing area.  IF the passing area is on the left side and you get there first, you pull over … flash your lights … and cheerfully wave at the oncoming driver(s) as they pass by utilizing the roadway.  Now if the passing area is on the right side … and you get there first … you stay in the road but stop even with the passing area and wave and smile politely as they veer into the area and go around you. It really is just a matter of using common courtesy and politeness.  We’ll talk about “roundabouts” later!!

Now if some driver is really crowding me from behind, all bets are OFF … I’ll dart left OR right into the first available passing area I come to and let the speedster go on his way. Tailgaters really make me nervous and especially so when they get pushy. THIS is just me!  However, I did find just now a site that explains pretty much what I covered above:  http://www.gaelholidayhomes.co.uk/information-travel/area-information/roads-driving/

We pretty well finished out our day by finding and exploring SKIPNESS CASTLE.  It was located near the end of a long and narrow single track road where our (next) B & B was located.

Built in the early 1200s by the MacSween family, Skipness was originally a 2 story “hall house” that faced across Kilbrannan Sound to the Isle of Arran.  In a world dominated by seafaring, it had a commanding position. Owned by the Clan MacDonald in 1263, a strong curtain wall with arrow slits and crenellations was added.  The current tower house was built in 1493 by the Campbell clan.  The castle was abandoned by1700 and is now in the care of Historic Scotland, whose goal is to prevent further damage.  See here for more information about this castle and its attendant chapel: https://the-hazel-tree.com/2011/07/27/27th-july/  I just wish we had been there earlier before I got so tired … we did not go out to the chapel as it was a l-o-n-g walk out to it.

All the B & Bs we stayed at in the past were in old(er) buildings converted and remodeled.  Our home for the next two nights was in a new structure that was built specifically to be a B & B. (I believe it is 3yrs or newer).  It also is the first one that didn’t serve a hot breakfast. The food offering for breakfast was a large selection of cereals, fruits, breakfast pastries, etc.  I did NOT leave the table hungry!!  This was Bluebell Cottage B & B a few miles outside Tarbert.  We had the twin room:  http://www.clickbedandbreakfast.co.uk/bed-and-breakfast5021.asp

After an early checkin at Bluebell, we drove a few miles back into Tarbert for dinner and to see the Royal Castle of Tarbert ruins.  We took advice and dined at a “local” cafe / diner / pub and had a good, filling delicious meal.  Carol had haddock and chips and I filled up with the venison sausages.

There was not a way to drive closer to the castle … it was on a high promontory above the town and I just didn’t have the strength and stamina to make the climb. I stayed with the car where we had parked for dinner and Carol made the trek.  Here is a site that gives you a lot of history and “suggests” that history may go back into the 700s AD.  There are a few nice photos also:  http://tarbertlochfyne.com/viewtarberthistory.php?name=royalcastle

We’ve both had a full day and we hear our beds calling us ….

Breakfast around 8:30...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:58 pm

CB:
 I am so sorry for what you and your family is going thru with your brother.  Poor guy....  Is he conscious?  

RICK:
 Trip's going good!  Those one lane roads passing spots were more confusing to us than the roundabouts.  Donnie loves roundabouts and was happy when they put in a couple of them over in Blacksburg last year.  

ELLEN:
 Areion made it thru her first horse show as a competitor alive and got calmer as the day went on!  We ended up only doing two classes, both walk/trot beginner hunter classes.  We got to the show a little late, so missed the first two classes.  The reason we were late was that after getting the new trailer all packed up and ready to load Areion into it, we discovered that our little dead wren chicks from last week were quite well and feathering up nicely.  They must have played dead before... Rolling Eyes   So we unpacked and unhitched the new trailer and packed up and hitched the old one.  Those chicks should be out of there in a week or ten days.  They are in a place you can barely get an eyeball around to look at them.  Anyway, then we were ready to put Areion on the old trailer and she decided she didn't want to do that.  It took over 20 minutes to get her on the trailer when she walked right on the new one yesterday twice.  So we were 45 minutes late to the show.  

Areion was fairly nervous on the trailer, sweated bullets, but calmed down fast once off of it and Lori warmed her up, braided her mane,  rode her all around the show grounds, and then we waited on the classes....and waited...It was a hurry up and wait kind of day. Lori took her into the arena during the break when a ton load of little girls and their handlers were creating chaos in there warming up for their upcoming classes.  There were horses zooming in all directions, noisy coaches waving arms around, and scary jump standards waiting to pounce.   Areion spooked a little when the loud speaker blared out all of a sudden, spooked a lttle again when passing by the jump standards, and got tense in the second class when she really, REALLY had to tinkle and Lori wouldn't let her stop in the middle of the class to do it.  So she didn't win, place or show, but did get one fifth and one sixth places out of 8 and 10 competitors.  She never had a melt down, and could have easily during that warm up session.  Between classes, she munched on grass and watched all the action.  She drank out of a bucket (something I can't get Ivan to do away from home), and never spooked at anything except a little girl who came dashing out unexpectedly and gave Areion a near heart attack.  She doesn't see many little people running around our place.  

We were pleased with Areion's attitude all day.  She will need to do this more than a few times before she will be as relaxed as some of those lesson ponies and horses that were there.  She was the only dappled grey there and several people asked if she was part andalusian, she looks it.  If it were a beauty contest, she might have placed higher, but talent was what was expected there,  Very Happy .  We got home after 6 pm.  

A few pix coming.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   

Back to top Go down

June 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 50 Horse Friends :: Basket-
Jump to: