Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

June 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:58 pm

CB:
 I am so sorry for what you and your family is going thru with your brother.  Poor guy....  Is he conscious?  

RICK:
 Trip's going good!  Those one lane roads passing spots were more confusing to us than the roundabouts.  Donnie loves roundabouts and was happy when they put in a couple of them over in Blacksburg last year.  

ELLEN:
 Areion made it thru her first horse show as a competitor alive and got calmer as the day went on!  We ended up only doing two classes, both walk/trot beginner hunter classes.  We got to the show a little late, so missed the first two classes.  The reason we were late was that after getting the new trailer all packed up and ready to load Areion into it, we discovered that our little dead wren chicks from last week were quite well and feathering up nicely.  They must have played dead before... Rolling Eyes   So we unpacked and unhitched the new trailer and packed up and hitched the old one.  Those chicks should be out of there in a week or ten days.  They are in a place you can barely get an eyeball around to look at them.  Anyway, then we were ready to put Areion on the old trailer and she decided she didn't want to do that.  It took over 20 minutes to get her on the trailer when she walked right on the new one yesterday twice.  So we were 45 minutes late to the show.  

Areion was fairly nervous on the trailer, sweated bullets, but calmed down fast once off of it and Lori warmed her up, braided her mane,  rode her all around the show grounds, and then we waited on the classes....and waited...It was a hurry up and wait kind of day. Lori took her into the arena during the break when a ton load of little girls and their handlers were creating chaos in there warming up for their upcoming classes.  There were horses zooming in all directions, noisy coaches waving arms around, and scary jump standards waiting to pounce.   Areion spooked a little when the loud speaker blared out all of a sudden, spooked a lttle again when passing by the jump standards, and got tense in the second class when she really, REALLY had to tinkle and Lori wouldn't let her stop in the middle of the class to do it.  So she didn't win, place or show, but did get one fifth and one sixth places out of 8 and 10 competitors.  She never had a melt down, and could have easily during that warm up session.  Between classes, she munched on grass and watched all the action.  She drank out of a bucket (something I can't get Ivan to do away from home), and never spooked at anything except a little girl who came dashing out unexpectedly and gave Areion a near heart attack.  She doesn't see many little people running around our place.  

We were pleased with Areion's attitude all day.  She will need to do this more than a few times before she will be as relaxed as some of those lesson ponies and horses that were there.  She was the only dappled grey there and several people asked if she was part andalusian, she looks it.  If it were a beauty contest, she might have placed higher, but talent was what was expected there,  Very Happy .  We got home after 6 pm.  

A few pix coming.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:16 am

As long as there were no disasters, it was a successful day, Ark. Smile She'll do even better next time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:15 am

Ark, she won over a couple of horses, and sounds like she did pretty darn good in all....each time out will get better, and each time will be memorable for awhile, but then a lightbulb will go off and she will be perfectly behaved and pretty, too. You should do a journal each time you take her

Dr is weaning bro off of sedation, he opened his eyes and held our hands, his son had flight being late, didn't make connection, he will be here around one and get to see him a few times before ventilator is removed. Nuts....
We r not getting much done here, hubby is mowing again, going to rain this week. Trying to make the yard unfavorable to snakes!#@%&*
We went to rv show, and they had drawings and we won two tickets for Dixie stampede, but didn't like their campers or the prices, this was at camper world. We found a bunkhouse model, room for grand daughters and Jessi and joey to stay, three bunks, table makes bed, couch makes bed and queen bed, has outside kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, sink, good storage but have to sell the house first. Until then, we have our 11 foot truck camper with nice bathroom and the spaceship camper too.
Have a great week, y'all. Rick you go some neat places..out making memories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:41 pm

CB - I've been thinking of you, and send long, long arms in warm hugs.

RICK - Your travelogues are always wonderful! I'm especially interested this time because of some Scots ancestry. Dad's middle name was McIntire, for his mother's descent from a prisoner captured in the 1650 battle of Dunbar who was shipped to this country as an indentured servant. He worked first in iron works in Saugus, MA, then moved with others from the same group to York, ME, where there's still an area designated "Scotland," and where his descendants still gather each year on a day in August to celebrate membership in their McIntire Clan. Also: Because my mother was sick when I was born, she had to have some help for a little while (not that we had any money - Dad was a struggling school teacher), and that help came in the form of a Scots woman with a thick Scots burr. So I'm sure I got imprinted early on -- oooh, ach, aye!!!

ARK-Hooray for Areion!! And BIG congratulations to you. What incredible progress!

ELLEN- I still never fail to think of you when I pass a certain lake on my way to grocery shop. And with ENVY, because I think nothing in my life so far has beaten the joy of catching sight of "our" lake for the first time in summer, and anticipating that first wild leap off the dock into the water. You must be making some of the same priceless memories for your family when they come to visit.

Haven't inflated the kayak yet but have used both scooters quite a bit. I use the little one for nearby trips and the bigger one for distances. Today, if we don't get showers, I'm planning to rev up the big one to go to a pick-your-own place to get strawberries -- maybe 10-12 miles away. We've been blessed here lately with some idyllic weather -- temps often in the 70s and 80s, and only a few times up to the low 90s, and even, lately, without humidity -- though rain is seriously overdue. The news from elsewhere -- fires and floods -- is devastating.

Hope all others here are doing well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Beech! It's always good to see you here.
I still haven't gotten the work done on my scooter, but this weekend a cousin and his family will be here. I think I'll have him help me load it on the trailer so I can take it for a complete tune-up. I really want to get it running again so I can ride it again.
You reminded me of when I was a kid and we were driving here for a weekend. It was always exciting to get the first view of the lake, every time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Rick;s Scotland Trip   Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Day 4
May 19, 2016

We knew ahead of time … from the website for the B & B … that breakfast would not be a cooked meal. Who needs all the cholesterol? LOL!! We had plenty to eat that was (probably) healthier with a variety of “healthy” cereals, etc. Oh yes … and good coffee for me!!

The plan for this full day on Kintyre was to drive down the A83 on the west coast to Campbelltown, then to Southend on small roads and then on a single-track road to the Mull (headland) of Kintyre to see the lighthouse there. Well … weather has a way of changing plans!!

Scotland has some “M” roads that compare with our Interstates, but coming up from England only to Glasgow and Edinburgh. The rest of the country has “A” routes that are like some of our older US routes. These are typically 2 lane roads and occasionally with spots of 4 lanes. “B” routes are small one lane roads of varying widths and passibility! And then there are the real narrow single track roads that require the driver’s close attention.

We got to the southend of the peninsula in good weather and finally found the narrow single-track that would take us towards the lighthouse. We knew before starting the trip that we could not drive the last mile or so to the lighthouse because the road was too steep and curvy, but Carol wanted to go as far as possible and possibly walk the rest of the way. She wanted to see the lighthouse and look across the North Channel to the Antrim coast of Northern Ireland 11 miles away.

I wanted to turn around long before we reached the end of the road,but we slowly made our way through the mist and fog. Unfortunately, the weather did not magically clear … Carol didn’t walk very far … and no Irish leprechauns were seen!!

Here you’ll find some information about this lighthouse first built in the 1780s: http://www.nlb.org.uk/LighthouseLibrary/Lighthouse/Mull-of-Kintyre/ And for a lot of much better pics of the lighthouse and setting: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrTHRjdfnBX4TYAkmVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybHZmMnM2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Lighthouse+Mull+of+Kintyre&fr=aaplw

Lunch today consisted of PBJs made in the car while parked alongside a small cemetery devoted mostly to veterans of the world wars and other widespread conflicts. This was very near the village of Southend on the coast. Here you’ll find information about the area and at the bottom, you’ll (hopefully) see a picture of an old cemetery. I got out of the car and spent a few minutes wandering in it and trying to imagine the difficulties of life and surely the hardships endured by the folk: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/southend/southend/

We turned our direction back northward (towards our B & B) and wanted to make a special stop at the ancestral home of our dear friends Charlie and Jane MacAllister. This was in Glenbarr. As it turned out, we were given a personal tour of the place by the widow of the 5th Laird … a delightful lady who originally was from Rhode Island. We were very pleased to have a visit here on behalf of our friends from home. Although this building is in need of some repairs, it is still occupied (one wing) by the Lady. She had period stuff on display reflective of the MacAllister Clan and status throughout history. I wish I could find a better website, but here is one: http://www.glenbarrabbey.org/history/

We finished up our day with a leisurely drive back to Bluebell and did some preliminary packing for departure in the morning. THEN … out to dinner … !!

What follows is taken straight from Carol’s scrapbook:

“After stopping at the B & B, we drove the short distance to Tarbert and checked out a couple restaurants before deciding on the West Loch Hotel. Our B & B Host, Graham, had told us that they have good food but it might be a little pricey. A waiter seated us in the dining room and brought us a “Specials Board”. First on the list was SCALLOPS GBP 8.95 (Great Britain pounds) (approx. $13.00), so we both ordered them. The waiter asked if we wanted them as an appetizer or dinner. I replied, “Dinner. I can never finish a meal if I have an appetizer.” We enjoyed our dinner and desserts and had fun chatting with our waitress, Danielle. When the bill arrived, I was stunned!! I had been expecting around L30 ($44) but the total was L60 ($88)!!!! They had charged us 18.95 for the scallops. We asked to have that adjusted as the board had clearly said 8.95 -- not that that was the price for the appetizer. The manager took L5 off, but it should have been L20!! Not wanting to be pushy, obnoxious Americans, we paid the bill and left, but our evening was ruined. I have emailed the management about our dissatisfaction and received an answer that he is “trying to decide what to do”. I did tell him I would relate our problem to Tripadvisor”.

We finished our packing before bedtime and tried to get a good night of sleep. Tomorrow would be a brand new day with some new adventures as we would be catching another ferry to the Isle of Arran … described as ‘Scotland in miniature’.

Coffee, and so forth, will be at 8:15 ...
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Oh, my gosh, where has the time gone?

CB so sorry about your brother. I sure hope his son is able to get in to see him before he is taken off the ventilator.

ARK, congratulations on Arion's (I know I spelled that wrong) first show. I like CB's idea of keeping a journal. Looking back, I wish I would have done something like that. Especially now that I no longer show.

I just got a phone call this morning from my hay guy asking if he can bring a load of hay down tonight. Not really what I had planned for the evening, but when the hay guy calls... the answer is "Sure! Come on down." I should have about 300 bales of hay in the mow by the time I go to bed tonight. It's really good that he called because I'm down to about 30 bales which will last me a couple of weeks. But still... I don't like being so low.

I haven't walked the new pasture since the second planting so I don't know how well it is doing. It's green and that is a good sign. Hopefully it's green with lush grass and not weeds. The weather has been all over since it's been planted: It was kind of cold when it was first planted. Then rain came and was still pretty cool. A lot of farmers ended up having to replant because the seed didn't germinate because of the cold and then the seed rotted. Then it got real hot and dry and if the young plants weren't mature enough they burnt up. Finally we got some rain again but the temps stayed high and the humidity was unbelievable. Now the temps are more normal and the humidity isn't bad. So now I'm going to get brave and walk the field and see how my planting faired. I've got my fingers crossed that this hasn't been an exercise in futility.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: RICK'S SCOTLAND VACATION: DAY 5   Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 pm

From RICK:

Day five …
May 20. 2016

We were up in plenty of time to get bags to the car and to be at breakfast at 8:15. We had a ferry to catch, but it was only about 5 miles (or less) away from Bluebell B & B. When we got to the dining room, it was full as Graham had had unscheduled guests who had arrived late with no place else to go. When we came in, he asked us to wait just a short time. He told the others, “These folks are family and they are not in a hurry”. However, within 5 minutes he had our table ready and promptly brought coffee and hot tea. After eating, we had a great chat with Graham, and he showed us the family suite upstairs. We felt that he enjoyed our visit just as much as we did. We left at 9:15 and were 7th in line for the little ferry to the Isle of Arran. You can’t reserve this one. The crossing took about 30 minutes. As you can tell from the pictures here, this ferry is small … I’m guessing only about 15 - 20 cars at most. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arran/lochranzaferry/index.html Remember, we caught the ferry at Cloanig.

The Isle of Arran is often referred to as “Scotland in Miniature” due to its varied topography and other features including some antiquities like are found scattered elsewhere. Remember what you saw just a few days ago at Kilmartin Valley?

MACHRIE MOOR is on the west end of the string road built across the centre of Arran in 1817 by Thomas Telford. It is home to artefacts dating from the Bronze Age. Hut circles and standing stones can be found on Machrie Moor. Again, I wondered “How were these places constructed? And WHY?” This may answer part(s) of the questions, but it may raise other questions in the mind of the reader: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arran/machriemoor/ Fortunately I was feeling strong enough to walk over a bit more than a mile … down that farm road seen in the last photo … to a part of what was here. Carol walked on some more. I find it interesting and perhaps unusual that so many places like this are open to the public and free of charge AND you are walking across some farm pasture with animals!!

We drove on to the small village of Blackwaterfoot and found the Laighbent B & B which would be home for the next two nights. This will tell you about the small but growing village and its attractions: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arran/blackwaterfoot/ Our hostess at Laighbent, Pat Adamson, showed us our room and then served us some cookies and something to drink while we just sat and “visited” with her. http://laighbent.co.uk/ She also turned on her TV and turned on a hidden camera that showed us the comings and goings of the occupants of a birdhouse hanging just outside her LR window. It was fascinating to see momma and poppa bird feed the 5 - 6 little mouths!! Pat advised us on where to eat dinner as we were limited to find places to eat. We ate at a Best Western Hotel … had to make reservations. We had gone for a 30 minute drive on past the hotel and the “B” road ran up along the coast. Food was perhaps a tiny bit on the pricey side, but was quite delicious.

After unpacking and getting settled in, we read awhile and finally called it a day. Breakfast would be at 8:00 in the morning and would be a hot meal!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 am

CB:
 How are things going.....

BEECH and INDYAPP:
 Great to see you both!  Sounds like you both are busy, busy.  I hope the pasture grass is growing well, INDYAPP.  Donnie has spent a lot of time re-seeding, de-weeding, and generally trying to improve our poor hayfields.  It has become his obsession, but is good for the horses' hay quality.  I would hate to think what the hay would cost if we had to pay an hourly rate for the amount of time he has worked on the fields.   Rolling Eyes  

I finally got some pix processed from the show last Saturday.  We were really happy with Areion's progress!  Lori is going to host Areion and another of her client's horses for a one week summer horse camp at the farm where she works and trains.  Areion will spend the week away from home and get lessons every day, then  finish the week by going to another horse show identical to the one she just went to on July 16th.  It will be good for Areion to get some concentrated work, away from home and herd.   Very Happy

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 am

Brothers condition deteriates....he has dnr, I dread when my phone dings. Skipper his oldest son is staying with us now so he can visit him. Things r just rolling along.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Prayers & hugs to you & your family CB as this progresses.......it's all a helpless feeling now as we always think there is something more to do.........you & Harry have sure done the best that could/can be done............... hug hug hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:29 pm

CB, I'd been wondering where you were. I can only echo what Graymare said. Prayers for all of you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Indy, did you get all that rain we had last week? Some places got a LOT and some not much at all. There were a couple of the storms that missed me completely, but it looked like they hit your area. That should have helped your grass. Before that, our grass was looking brown, like August. It's nice and green now.
We got enough rain to bring the water level up about a foot.

Ark, what a great idea.... sending your horse to summer camp for a week. It should be fun to see the progress she'll make in that week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:35 pm

We had to pull off hwy the rain came down so hard today on way to hospital. Bros girls r coming in Saturday and no more life support, Dr said hours after that would be all he thought.....so sad, but he will be pain free and not suffering....he with go on hospice right before its removed, so will be heavily sedated and no discomfort......I am exhausted, devastated already. Hummmm for us all, Tia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 pm

RICK's Scotland Trip

Day Six …
May 21, 2016

GOOOOD MORNING, Isle of Arron!!!

As it turned out, we were the only guests staying at Laighbent and Pat seemed to go out of her way to make sure we were adequately “stuffed” at breakfast. English (UK) style bacon is almost twice as thickly sliced as our American style bacon and is virtually fat free … you might even want to call it “thinly sliced ham”. It is fried / cooked, but is not crispy like our bacon, and is quite tasty. The sausage was in links and very flavorful and juicy. To me, a meat of any kind is not fit to eat unless I can make some sort of sandwich … using toast or dinner rolls, etc. I just had to make a bacon sandwich and a smaller one with sausage! Taste treats from the gods of culinary delights! We both had scrambled eggs and bacon and I had sausage in addition!! Good coffee and hot tea finished out the meal that was supplemented with a small dish of fruit.

Today we drove around the perimeter of Arron stopping along the way for a nice walk out along a river to TORRYLIN CAIRN. We enjoyed the colorful yellow flowers of the gorse bush / shrubs and the lower growing bluebells seen everywhere.

It would take a degree in archeology … or MORE imagination … to visualize the ancient structure beneath these irregular mounds of earth. The slabs seen here are the remains of a cairn in which people were buried over 5,000 years ago. Once again, I refer you to our favorite comprehensive website … undiscovered scotland … for pictures and a bit of information. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arran/torrylincairn/index.html Also please look at this: http://www.spottinghistory.com/view/5360/torrylin-cairn/ I’m always in a bit of awe at the extent and effort our ancestors of thousands of years ago went to honor those who died. This was well before the coming of Christianity and enlightenment.

Not much to see or learn here about Kildonan Castle, but I want you to see the simple map of Arran. We landed yesterday at Lochranze … are staying at Blackfootwater for two nights … and will drive 55 miles today completely circumnavigating the isle. Yes, we will be over some road we traveled yesterday. I can attest to the accuracy of Arran being “Scotland in miniature” as we were able to see antiquities at Machrie Moor and at Lagg (Torrylin Cairn), old castle ruins, sea ports, high mountains, and lots of beautiful scenery in between. Here’s the site: http://www.visitarran.net/villages/kildonan_isle_of_arran.html

Honestly now, I’ve got a sweet tooth, but chocolate is not really that high on my list. HOWEVER … I can’t say the same for Carol and when we passed by the Arran Chocolate Factory … well … what can I say? I / WE gave in to temptation and bought “two of these … two of those … ooohhh gotta have two of THAT … and I HAVE to have THREE with the peanut butter centers…” I think we had close to 20 - 24 pieces of chocolate when we left. Check it out here: http://www.tasteayrshire.co.uk/arran-chocolate-factory.html We also saw where we would be lining up for the ferry tomorrow.

As the weather was misty and cool for most of the day, we just “drove the car” around the island and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and marveled at the low rock walls running up the mountain sides and serving as fencing. That has always fascinated me. Dinner this evening was again at the Best Western Kinloch Hotel in Blackwaterfoot. We made our reservations last evening. My baked chicken meal was delicious and filling and Carol just had “soup and bread”. She wanted to save room for ice cream on sticky toffee pudding. I finished my meal with a lemon cheesecake.
We got our bags packed and ready for departure in the morning. Our ferry time was early and we had to go back to Brodick to catch it. We also wanted to go across the middle of Arran on the road from Blackwaterfoot to Brodick as we had only been around the perimeter. Pat graciously agreed to a 7:30 serving.

Now just how much weight have I gained on this trip…??
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm venting. I could really grow to hate those who run various computer services. Evil or Very Mad Is anybody else having trouble with their Windows Live e-mail. It seems that somebody has decided that it should be changed and has made it so that Windows Live doesn't work. I cannot receive or send e-mails, and haven't found what to do to fix it.
I guess I'll be visiting Whiz Kid on Monday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Sorry, ELLEN. Donnie changed us to Linux because he hated Windows, so I don't know how to solve your problem. Unfortunately, I have a hard time using Linux, my favorite Photoshop program doesn't work on it.....sigh.....I wish they would just decide on a format and stop changing things all the time, too.

Time to change the month's thread......Go to: http://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t58-july-2016#7727

or go to BASKET and click on July 2016

June 2016 is now closed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2016   

Back to top Go down

June 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4