Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JULY 2016

Go down 
+3
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Rose
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Welcome to JULY 2016!!

JULY   2016   QCpH5u
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 11:17 pm

RICK's Scotland Trip

Day Seven …
May 22, 2016

I think that Pat thought we were gonna starve today as she really loaded us up with a delicious breakfast for our last meal with her. She stood and chatted with us while we enjoyed our meal. We ate at 7:30 … which was early for us … as we had to get to Brodick for the 8:20 ferry to the mainland. We planned on taking the string road across the mountainous spine of the island, and wanted to allow for “road construction” as we had seen signage informing us of such. We were lucky. I guess since it was Sunday morning, the construction crews were not working and we made the trip in 20 minutes!! The ticket office had not even opened yet. Even though we were leaving Arran, we saw a welcoming sign that indicated Arran was a “Fairtrade Island”. We later learned that meant that folk used locally sourced food and products as much as possible.

Our ferry, the Isle of Arran, was sitting at the dock when we got there. We had to get tickets from the man at the booth in the lineup area. He told us the ferry was not working and we would be put on standby for the next one at 11:05. I would hate to be him today! I remained in the car and Carol went shopping at the CO-OP near the dock for more Radox soap, toothpaste, bubble wrap, string and scissors, the last three things for sending all of her soap home. She went into the now opened ticket office to inquire “very nicely and calmly” about the fairness of not putting the already late passengers on the next ferry first, THEN loading those with 11:05 tickets. CalMac explained to her that they would rather have one group of unhappy customers than to have upset folk from every ferry that day (domino effect). That made sense! The agent asked her where we were going and she said “the Lake District”. He told Carol that he loves it there and inquired where we had been in Scotland. When she he told him Oban, then the Kintyre peninsula, his eyes lit up and he told her, “You just got 10 BONUS POINTS!! Most Americans call it the ‘Mull of Kintyre’ “.

When the ferry arrived, the agent she had been chatting with in the office came out to collect tickets and direct traffic. He gave us a smile and said, “You are going to the Lake District, right?” He then directed us to near the front of one queue. We have a feeling he was being “sneaky” and put us a little (more like a LOT) ahead of where we should have been. We didn’t argue!! Lol!!

Today would turn out to be a rather long day of travel … some 188 miles … and we would have to alter our plans due to the ferry delay.

One of the things I mentioned earlier about Scotland is the large number of “antiquities” to be found, ranging from a few upright boulders in a circle to a (virtually) complete neolithic village as is found at Skara Brae on Orkney. I’m puzzled about “What does this mean? Is there some special way / meaning for the significance of this site?” Well, Carol found what might well be a 21st Century version of Stonehenge and it was on our way towards the Lake District!

The CRAWICK MULTIVERSE is a major land restoration and art project that utilizes landscape art to transform a former open cast coal mine into an outdoor space that can be enjoyed by future generations. This artistic presentation links the themes of (outer) space, astronomy, and cosmology with the monuments of the neolithic age. What you’ll see in the pictorial website are huge mounds / piles of overburden from the mining operation that have been sculpted / graded into specialized shapes and “decorated” with large stones in a like manner with places like Stonehenge, etc. However, THIS TIME I could easily see in my mind’s eye the “how did they do it” since the contractors had modern machinery to work with.

For example, the two adjoining circular mounds representing Andromeda and the Milky Way each had a wide pathway that went round and round in a spiral fashion … it was obvious to me that a skillful bulldozer operator had been there. The tops of these mounds had a ring of large upright stones. Maybe we can return to this site in a few thousand years and ponder its meaning. Hopefully you’ll get something from this website and enjoy the pictures: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1984049-the-multiverse-is-located-in-an-abandoned-scottish-coal-mine/?photo=1 I have to admit that my strength and stamina did not permit me to explore this like I wanted, but Carol was able to get out and see it more close up. I sat on a stone and watched her while I “thunk about it”. This opened 21 June, 2015. Here are some more photos also: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBTznWu3ZXdtUAsV5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaHZjYzhtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Crawickmultiverse&fr=aaplw

You’ll (hopefully??) remember the driving lesson about how to utilize passing areas on the single track roads. Now, lets talk a bit about those really confusing roundabouts and the signage that goes along. (Its really NOT that confusing!!) This first website gives you the technicalities / rules of roundabouts. Look at the red car diagrams about halfway down the page for a very simplified lesson: http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/roundabouts.html Just remember that you can go around again and again if you miss your turn. Don’t ask me how I know!! We started taking a few pictures of the more interesting signs along the way. The signs are often really helpful in keeping you on the desired route(s) heading in the general direction you need to know. Just remember that you are always entering the roundabout intersection from the bottom. Occasionally we would come across a roundabout that was controlled with a traffic signal. Carol and I have developed our own lingo and I know what she means if she says “straight over” or “third around”, etc. She’s a GOOOOD Nagrivator!! Here are a few signs worthy of looking at: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80QrvnZXiDgAZ6dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybHZmMnM2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=UK+Roundabout+Signs&fr=aaplw

Once we got to the northern Lake District (England( we went straight “home” to our favorite B & B and hugged Christine and took our two bags up to our room. This was Carol’s third time and my second time staying at SEATOLLER FARM B & B. This farm setting dates from the 1600’s and is still an active / operational sheep farm. Its so nice to return to such a warm welcome as we received. Christine is “family” : http://www.seatollerfarm.co.uk/

After getting settled in, we backtracked into Keswick for dinner at the Dog & Gun Pub. It was a noisy place and we were happy to eat and leave. Carol had been there years before and described it to me as a cozy pub. Under new ownership / management, it is now a restaurant.

Breakfast ( I just KNOW its gonna be filling and tasty!) will be at 8:30 in the morning and we are the only guest tonight. We have been promised a “special surprise” visitor. I wonder who it might be…??

RICK
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 11:27 pm

The trip's going along well, RICK! I am enjoying it!

I am pretty much lobsterized this evening. I was out in the arena in full sun for about three hours having a lesson with Ivan, and Areion. My hat didn't save me from being nicely roasted. Ivan and I did pretty good, at least toward the end of the lesson. Some day we will get it..... Areion did well for Lori. She is being tuned up for her week at summer camp. She has an issue with the "Spooky Corner" of the arena, so we did some de-spooking, besides her regular lesson. Tomorrow, Ivan and I are going on a trail ride at the New River Trail with a friend, and her friend. I hope Ivan decides to play nice.

Donnie is off work for the next week! wavy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 8:51 pm

I just took a little cruise across the lake to see the "artillery" before they shoot it off this evening.  The mortars are bristling along the shore, and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes..... of fireworks are set out and ready to go.  This year they have even quietly announced that the show would be this evening, so I'm expecting the lake to be FULL of boats and pontoons in a little while.
Little Miss Scarlett was on a pontoon with several of her relatives.  They were heading back home, so I got Scarlett on the jet ski with me to bring her home.  She loved it.  She's all excited about the fireworks.

Two and a half hours later:
About 150+ boats (I stopped counting at 125) gathered for nearly two hours of fireworks. One guy shot them off for about an hour, and when he was done, another house started setting off theirs. When number 2 was done, number 3 set off some big ones. A LOT of money was spent to celebrate the USA birthday. It's just fun.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Ellen, sounds fun.
Ark, your ride sounds so soothing right now to me...wish I had been along.
Hospice has started, he was able to talk a bit when ventilator was removed yesterday but that stopped last evening....he has been asleep since then. Ahhhh, feeling helpless as a newborn kitten....but trying to attain peaceful thoughts. His kids are being so rude to their stepbrother and myself and the nurses, I can't believe it. If they were my kids I would be into them and making them apologize to everyone no matter how old they are...range in age from 30 to 44. Skipper is the only kid saying please and thank you to nurses, housekeeping, of course I am, as I appreciate everything they are doing for my brother.
On a happier note, happy fourth everyone! Enjoy our celebration of freedom. Yay.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 12:57 pm

CB, I'm with you on manners. There is no excuse for being rude to people who are doing their best to help. The best you can do is demonstrate the right way for them.
Big hugs to you, and prayers for peace for you.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Ark, was your ride hot and steamy? Did you have a good time?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 10:25 pm

CB
I am so sorry about your brother.... hug Now take good care of yourself......

ELLEN
I had a remarkably good time! We went about 6-7 miles, some trotting, but mostly walking. My thigh muscle is the worse for wear after getting off and on at the trestles so many times, but the riding didn't bother it much.
Ivan was very good on our ride! He was very forward going out and very relaxed when we turned back. He seems opposite to normal horses, but at least we relax on the way in. Even when he wanted to go fast, he was easily controllable and stayed with the other two horses. It was hot and muggy and I got a little too much sun two days in a row, my farmer's tan is fully developed for the summer.
All in all, it was a very good ride. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm glad you had a good ride today, Ark.
I just got back in from being on the pontoon with my neighbors. Other people around the lakes were setting off fireworks tonight, so we went out to watch. Not as much going on tonight as last night. It was a little on the chilly side, but that was good for keeping the mosquitoes at bay.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 am

Happy 4th everyone.

CB: So sorry to hear about your brother and now his kids acting like fools. AUUGGHHH So sad to see anyone act like that. Hang in there girlfriend.

ARK: Your ride sounded like a fun ride. I miss trail rides. And the horse show, great photos and Areion did so well. Congrats.

We are still recuperating from the parade in Lewisburg last Saturday. What a blast it was. I got to take some photos of a copter just like the ones George flew in when he was in Nam. Even on like the one he was flown out of Nam in when he was wounded. Sure brought back some memories for him and the rest of the Vets

We are off to a picnic at a woman who grew up in our farm house as a kid. She lives right around the "block" from us, she has some great stories about living here on the farm.

Have a safe and happy 4th everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 1:30 pm

After three nights of fireworks, I'm over it for this year. Although, I think there will be one more round this Saturday night.
We're going to have some good swimming weather this week. I intend to enjoy it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   JULY   2016   EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 pm

From RICK:

Day Eight …
May 23, 2016

(A correction is needed here. The “surprise visitor” I mentioned in yesterday’s volume won’t be seen for a couple more days.)

One thing that Carol and I really enjoyed about our previous stay at Seatoller 8 years ago was that our hostess, Christine, would come into the dining room during breakfast and “visit” with her guests while they ate. We felt like we had won a special prize this time as we had Christine all to ourselves … she just makes you feel like you are family.

As luck would have it, Carol’s two previous visits to the Lake District had been on days when a special attraction (for her) had been closed. Today, we were having good luck and she would get to see the home of Beatrix Potter. Ms. Potter (1866 - 1943) is best known for her children’s stories with characters such as Peter Rabbit and Jemima Puddleduck and her beautiful artistic illustrations.

Maybe lesser known to the general public is that she became a champion of conservation in the Lake District after moving there in 1906. She married a local attorney, William Helis, after moving there and expanded her activities to include farming, and became an expert on Herdwick sheep. She loved the countryside and donated land to the National Trust to help conserve and preserve it for future generations.

Beatrix bought Hill Top in 1905 using the royalties from her little white books and some money from an aunt. Hill Top was the first of many houses and farms she acquired in the Lake District. At first, Hill Top was a retreat from her busy London life, but after her marriage … and subsequent move to a larger house in the village … it then became a private place of inspiration. This was a place where she wrote her stories, painted, and enjoyed a simple, happy life.

I was not having a good day, so I sat in the car while Carol toured the house. She said that Beatix Potter had a writing desk in every room!

Carol tells a personal story in her scrapbook: “ I told one of the guides in the house of a memory from my childhood about reading a tale of a kitten who wanted to hide in a chimney. When I read out loud, I mispronounced “determined” as “DEET-er-mind” and was told the right way to say it. I didn’t know which book but I could still see the picture and where the word was on the page. On the desk in front of the guide was one book -- The Tale of Samuel Whiskers -- guess what! That was the book! I bought a copy in the gift shop.”

This will give you some (more) information about Hill Top and also a few pictures … a beautiful, scenic area: http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/near-sawrey/ Please read this one for more background history, etc. about Hill Top prior to her acquisition: http://www.cottagetales.com/farm.shtml

Walking around Hawkshead village, we spotted a Free Wifi sign at the Kings Arms Hotel. We took advantage of that and Carol was able to get caught up on email, posting updates, and Facebook. We enjoyed a slow cup of coffee and tea!! There is no internet at Seatoller. This was in an old building and the doorway clearances were “rather low” especially for me. Carol spotted a sign for the toilets that read, “Bend or Bump”. Lol!
After leaving the Hill Top / Beatrix Potter area, we found another ferry crossing to get us across Lake Windemere. This saved us several miles of driving. While waiting for the ferry, we dined on delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and something like chips. There was no waiting to be seated as we ate in the car!! Lol! We were first in line to load!! http://english-lakes.com/windermere.html The actual crossing time was less than 30 minutes.

Leaving Windemere, we took the long way around back towards Keswick and Seatoller. In 2008, we had driven across the Kirkstone Pass and had stopped for a (surprise…!!) PBJ picnic lunch in the car (surprise again …!!) at the Kirkstone Pass Inn. We had been noticing signs on our trips that indicated that an inn or pub might be a “Free House”. A Free House can sell beers or ale made by different breweries. It is not franchised by one company. This time, we stopped and went inside for a loo break and bought some cookies. There is actually quite an interesting history about this inn. Its been there awhile: http://www.kirkstonepassinn.com/about.htm Now enjoy this “must see” from a different perspective … its kinda / sorta cool: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8169679@N03/sets/72157623399021028/

Carol enjoys waterfalls and spotted this one on the map as we were driving. I didn’t feel like trekking through the woods to see it, so once again I sat in the car and snoozed. I SHOULDA GONE … she came back all excited about what she had found laying alongside the trail here in Aira Force Park. http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/cumbria/countryside/waterfalls/Aira-Force.htm Carol had found a Money Tree!! She writes: “ Not long after starting up the path, I came to this felled tree next to me. From a distance I thought it was covered by fungi. As I got closer I was stunned to see thousands of coins driven into the bark and into the cut end. The tree is about 30 feet long and 3 ft. wide. I googled it while writing this and could not find out who started this or why…” We did learn that there are a few more of these scattered in England and across the world. Here are a few more pictures: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT8F2OHxXybcA9_hXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaHZjYzhtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Money+Tree+Aira+Force+Park+England&fr=aaplw

(Perhaps this would be a good, EASY fund raising idea for civic organizations !! LOL)

After leaving all the riches behind at Aira Force, we headed “home” down the B5289 and decided to veer off onto the little road over Ashness Bridge to Surprise View. I remembered we had been there in 2008. Then, in a weak moment, I agreed to drive a couple more miles on a very narrow one lane road to the end at Watendlath. Carol says in her book that the “two miles felt like five”. She didn’t consult me; it felt more like 25 miles with a few places where we could touch rock walls through either side window!! I am pleasantly surprised to actually find a website for the bridge and the view. And yes … we drove over the little narrow bridge and walked out to the (unprotected) cliff’s edge: http://www.visitcumbria.com/kes/surprise-view-and-ashness-bridge/

We finally made it back out and after a few more minutes drive we were home again a Seatoller. We had a good visit with Christine’s husband and son while they were tending to the evening feeding of lambs kept in the barn. We told them about the traffic jam we just experienced as a farmer was moving some sheep from one field to another and utilizing the roadway as a lane. It was neat to see the three sheep dogs working to keep the flock moving along. Seatoller has some sheep dogs also.

Breakfast will be “around 8:30”. Good night … we’re tired!!

RICK
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 pm

ELLEN:
 Our fireworks got rained out and I think postponed until next Saturday.  Sounds like you saw a bunch!  Our neighborhood was quiet this year, at least.  We got new nearby neighbors last year that shot full sized fireworks over the end of our property into some woods.  That sure made the horses happy.....not!  

RICK:
 The story is going along nicely in Scotland!  I hope you didn't spend too many days not feeling well.  I loved the ferries there.  Beatrix Potter was a gifted artist, I would love to see her house.

TRUDY:
 Glad you had a good Fourth!  How are the female relatives who were in the hospital doing?  Better, I hope....

CB:
 How is the family doing?  When is the funeral?  It must be a hard week.

GRAYMARE:
 So what are you up to these days?  I know you are having fun, but what kind?  

Here are a few pix from Ivan's trail ride last Saturday.  He is none the worse for wear, he was tearing around the pasture today and came in drenched in sweat.  He had a good time.   Very Happy

JULY   2016   M8G0jr

JULY   2016   7E5fCn

JULY   2016   CbPstg
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 12:55 pm

What a nice place to ride! It looks like everybody had a good time. Pretty trio of horses, too.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:51 pm

CB, what's going on? We haven't heard from you for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   JULY   2016   EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 12:50 am

RICK's Scotland Trip

Day Nine …
May 24, 2016

We had a rather “long” day planned out and therefore din’t tarry to long at breakfast. Christine, of course, was genuinely interested in where we had planned to go and offered a few suggestions on possible routing, etc.

I must admit I have never been much of a history buff per se, but sometimes something will catch my attention and I really want to explore it in more detail. Such was the case in 2000 when we went on my first foreign travel excursion on a Heart of Europe Tour bus. It was on that tour that I had my first opportunity to figuratively and literally “touch” something that was from early Roman times. It was a small stone / masonry archway in Cologne, Germany. I suddenly was enthralled with its antiquity and marveled at the durability of this small relic.

In 2008, we drove from northern England into Scotland and it was when I first became aware of another Roman times enduring artifact. This was Hadrian’s Wall that kinda / sorta set the dividing line between England and Scotland.

The following narrative is taken from National Geographic’s Great Britain: “In AD 129 (Roman) Emperor Hadrian ordered the building of a wall across northern England for two purposes: as a defensive position for soldiers in case of barbarian attack by the tribes of Picts to the north (in what is now Scotland); and as a physical expression of the boundaries of Roman law and order. Stretching from the North Sea (on the east coast) to the Irish Sea (on the west coast), the wall was 73 miles long, 8 - 10 feet wide, and 15 feet high. A deep ditch ran in front of it except where there was a natural defense (cliff). Every mile there was a “milecastle” (a small fort) housing up to 60 soldiers, with signal towers between them. Every 5 miles was a large fort (16 in all) which held 500 - 1000 troops.” There is now a well maintained footpath beside the wall, which is popular with British walkers and hikers. After only 7 years of work, much of the wall was complete and remains to this day as a testament to the planning genius of the emperor and the building skill and power of his army.

Birdoswald Roman Fort was added to Hadrian’s Wall shortly after the project began in AD 122. The fort was garrisoned by 800 infantry men and remained occupied throughout the Roman period into the 5th Century -- the so-called Dark Ages. The fort was reoccupied in the Middle Ages and was the target of raiders (reivers) from the north of the border (present day Scotland) in the 16th century. The excavated remains of buildings and ongoing excavation in the immediate surroundings gives us a glimpse of the fort’s 1800 year history.

Even though this is “new” compared with the 8000 year old Skara Brae settlement we found a few years ago on Orkney off the northern tip of mainland Scotland, it was nevertheless a “WOW..!! “ moment for us. Sorry to flood you with so many pictures from this website, but you can get an idea of what Hadrian’s Wall might have been like: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrTHQyKX31X4DoAWYxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybHZmMnM2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Hadrian%27s+Wall+and+Birdoswald+Roman+Fort&fr=aaplw

After this, we started back towards home (Seatoller) and stopped in Keswick to see the Derwentwater lake more closely and ended up taking a relaxing cruise of about an hour on the lake. Please click on the first (top left) of the small photos on this site and then click / scroll on through the rest of them. This really is a beautiful area with mountainous peaks seemingly rising from the water: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186327-d3207740-r246068346-Keswick_Launch_on_Derwentwater-Keswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html#photos;geo=186327&detail=3207740&ff=139271190&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=103&baseMediaId=139271190&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=2 And I will affirm that there were multitudes of ducks and geese wandering about the shore quacking / honking (actually begging!!) for handouts of food tossed their way!!

After the cruise, we drove south along the eastern shore of Thirlmere to the Badger Bar. This was Carol’s third time there and my second. The last time there, in 2008, happened to be our 36th wedding anniversary. This marked our 44th anniversary 3 days early!! We got there at 5:00 and found that they didn’t serve dinner until 6:00. So we relaxed with a cold cider for me and a J2O for Carol. She already knew what she wanted for dessert … sticky toffee pudding … so she dined on soup and bread and I enjoyed a small steak and had a brownie a-la-mode for dessert!! OK … forgive me, please … but I found a website about the loo at Badger Bar!! It is a bit unusual: http://www.theglenrothay.co.uk/our-loos the lighting was unusual and colorful and definitely unlike anything we’d ever seen before! I really didn’t find a good, comprehensive website that showed more than this about the hotel and Badger Bar: www.theglenrothay.co.uk

After dinner, we made a minor detour through the village of Rydal just to do some sightseeing. We needed to get back home at Seatoller and get our bags packed for a (sad to us) departure in the morning. We’ll get to meet the mystery guest in the morning.

Breakfast will be at 8:30 …

SSSsssnnnzzzzzz!!

RICK
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 1:02 am

ELLEN:
CB's brother died on July 3rd according to the Facebook posts. Sad....

RICK:
We saw Hadrian's Wall, too, but where we saw it was where it crossed a road and had been fairly well dismantled for local fences and buildings. It was still really interesting, though. Have you and Carol been to Bath, England? The Roman bath there is really incredible.

It has been hot and muggy for the past few days. We get thunderstorms every day. The grass is growing like mad. Donnie begins his yearly fight with the Johnsongrass tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. We had a nice lunch today at Macado's in Radford. I have enjoyed having Donnie around during the day this week.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 am

CB has had a lot to deal with for the last few months. I'm praying for her peace and comfort.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: RICK's Scotland Trip   JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 12:16 am

From RICK's Scotland Trip:

Day Ten …
May 25, 2016

We had a short delay on getting breakfast, but it was for a very good reason.!! We got to meet Christine’s only (so far) grandchild. Little Miss Anna is two years old and surpasses the lambs for being cute and adorable. Christine has her for the day and had to go into Keswick to get her. It was well worth the wait. I just wish I could post a pic that Carol made … she’s super cute and we can understand from our own perspective the special bond between grandparent and grandchild!!

On our way out towards Keswick, we made a quick stop for Carol to make a photo of a rock she had heard about. This would be a small volcanic boulder that was split and made into an art object. If you’ll read the comments section in this website, you’ll see the purpose of it. Carol says it looks like the convolutions of the brain to her. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/28085984

I know it may seem like Carol (and yours truly) have seen “all of Scotland” at some time or other, but she said there was an area we had been all around, but never in or through. Our destination today was Pitlochry and the surrounding area. She has us booked in for three nights at Rowanlea B & B. Our hostess had told Carol it would take 4 hours coming from the Lake District. After the few miles to and through Keswick, we hit the good 4 lane “A” route and then got the “M” route on north out of England and back into Scotland. As it turned out, Jilly was very accurate in her time estimate and we were there at 2:15PM.

Rowanlea House is a modern, bright and airy and spacious place. They only have two rooms for guests, but they are both modern. Carol writes in her scrapbook: “ When I saw the website for Rowanlea, I knew it would be our home base for three nights. She could not take us for the time we wanted, so I reworked our plans to stay here 5/25, 26, and 27. I am so glad because it was even lovelier than I had expected.” We stayed in the McCabe room. Here ya go: http://www.rowanleahouse.co.uk/accommodation.html

Fatigue got me and I stayed in while Carol walked down the hill and into town to do some “shopping” at a bank (lol!), and to look around town a bit. She had lost her bank debit card the day we left Brodick and we needed a cash advance against her credit card. With her driver’s license and US passport, she had no problem with her bank “shopping”. She had called our bank services when we first got to Christine’s and cancelled her debit card. We checked as soon as we got home and there were no charges against the card that she didn’t recognize.

Gillian / Jilly had told us that the golf course we passed by coming into Rowanlea had good food and was reasonably priced. She said it was in walking distance, but we drove over. I’m not sure exactly what we were expecting, but the clubhouse was very nice and the menu offered more than just sandwiches and chips. We had a table beside a window that looked out over a putting green and some of the course beyond. http://www.pitlochrygolf.co.uk/clubhouse/

This has been a 210 mile day today (our longest) and we were ready for some downtime after dinner and before bedtime.

Tomorrow promises to be a clear sunny day all day and Carol has some sites and attractions picked out we can visit and see.

Two eggs scrambled (just like me!!), two pieces bacon, one sausage for me and toast, juice, tea, and coffee. To be served at 8:30AM

Rick
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 am

ELLEN:
 Me, too...... Sad

We are taking Ivan to Pandapas Pond Park tomorrow for a trail ride with Lori and her mustang, Tonto.  It is going to be very hot, but the trail is under trees, so hopefully we won't melt.  Saturday we haul Areion to summer camp at Paris Mountain Stables outside Blacksburg.  I hope she does okay, I am always worried when one of my horses is away from home.   She will be with another mare in a little pasture at night and in the barn during the day.  The place has a big outdoor arena and a nice size indoor arena, like the one Candace had.  There are also mountain trails and a small cross country course there.    Areion will get lessons every day and then next Saturday, she will go back to Salem for another horse show.  We will bring her home afterward.  It is Areion's BIG WEEK!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Maybe Areion will send Mom a postcard from camp. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Poor CB, I can only imagine how hard this is on her and her family.  There was nothing more that she and Harry could have done for Skee and I believe he knew his life was ebbing and that's why he left them (CB and Harry).  Losing a sibling, no matter how close or not, effects one differently then other losses.  It has me, I know.

Weather has been horribly hot and humid here in SC and the afternoon/evening t'storms have been so strong but unfortunately rain hasn't been much, except for last evening when we did get a fair amount.  Ah well, summer in the South!

ARK, this coming week for Aerion, is going to be wonderful for her and will give her a really good mindset for her future, both showing and trail riding.  I so admire what you have accomplished with your horses, all of them, and training Ivan and Aerion from babies.

Inky is growing and being a typical little boy hooligan, he and his half sister, 1 month older, same sire, are so bonded and play so happily together and weaning these two should be a piece of cake, they are rarely with their dams and are eating grain/pellets along side the mares.  Inky has had 2 training sessions and will have another next Tuesday, can I say right here, Inky is a little mule headed boy!! Suspect he will absolutely refuse to be touched until he is finally wore down, then he will "suddenly" remember he "loves" to be petted, brushed and handled.  He'll actually roll those baby eyes at you and give you the "stink eye."  He is quite proud and sure of himself! rear Losing his danglies will be really good for him!!!!!!

RICK, love your travel blogs, truely enjoying reading every day, like we were right there with you and Carole.

BEECH, this is the time of year when I really miss New England, late Spring, Summer and Fall are beautiful!  And great temps most of the time.  

Be back later.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Funeral today. I watched from my truck. Then I paid my respects. Sad day, but he's not in any pain now.
We shall go on.
Have a nibble on our house....keep all fingers and toes crossed...and eyes too! Lol
Have a fun weekend y'all.
Thanks everyone for the support, I really needed it.
Hug for anyone who needs one.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 9:19 am

CB, I'm so sorry things didn't go well. You were there for your brother and did all you could to help him.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 1:07 pm

I just happened to be channel surfing and hit on a cliff diving competition. Now THAT is some scary stuff. 92 feet in the air, landing in cold water. If you hit wrong, something is gonna HURT!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JULY   2016   Empty
PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016    JULY   2016   Empty

Back to top Go down

JULY 2016
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next