Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2016

Go down 
+5
Graymare
Ark
Rose
Indyapp
Beech
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 4:35 pm

August 2016

August 2016 DmQR3A

ThunderPuff
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Welcome to August 2016.

I thought since I am one of the few folks posting, I would post a photo I happen to like, a recent one of ThunderPuff.

I check this forum at least once per day to make sure it is working, even on days I don't post. Now I know others do the same thing, the viewer count goes up every day, although the posts are dwindling badly. I guess FaceBook is going to win. We only had three pages of conversation during the entire month of July. This is the least amount of pages in the history of this or our previous forum, Foopville. I hate to see it die, I have so enjoyed our friendships here. Even on FaceBook, no one is posting in the Foop forum there. Have we outlived our need for these forums?

I am sad so many of our friends have disappeared from our forum. I have no suggestions as to how to improve the situation. Does anyone else?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Bawl, had a long post and lost it. I want to keep us going, don't want to lose touch. My phone doesn't work well at house, I have to come into town.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Ark, I feel the same way you do. Everybody seems to have gone off to Facebook and don't post here. I miss seeing what everybody is doing.

We are going to have a two or three days of hot weather, and then it will settle into the low 80s for more than a week. That is a very good thing because of all the gang that will be here next week. One small contingent arrived on Saturday and will be here until the 13th or 14th. The 12 year old has been a busy kid, swimming, fishing quite successfully, running his little radio controlled boat, kayaking, turtle hunting, and whatever else he can find to do.

I spent a good part of the afternoon in the water, and trying to watch the NASCAR race that was ultimately ended before the end because of rain.

I hope some others will post here more often.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 9:04 pm

All do this fast!
Pretty kitty!
Sorry about the umbrella incident, alth its nice to giggle at someone else's expense... Wink
Trudy, our neighbor Dee who is 74, lives with her shack up ol man, not the OK man she is married to....she quacks me up, but she grows a great garden and keeps us supplied with veggies, the lady gas a green thumb!
Harry's sister is due tomorrow and we r going to GI to Branson and be a tourist for a few days, the break will be nice.
I keep getting that virus thing, I can t get on site at the house, I have to wait until I come to town, and then I don't get the warning
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Oh, boy, guilty as charged! A postless lurker.
(Though I don't post on Facebook! I'm not that bad...)
Just a postponer, first class, in almost every endeavor.Take house-cleaning, for example. My book club is due here tomorrow night for our monthly meeting, and what I need to be doing RIGHT NOW (instead of writing this) is clearing all the cultch off the kitchen table (and out from under it), scrubbing the kitchen sink, taking the garbage out to the compost, washing the bathroom floor, vacuuming and dusting everywhere, not to mention reviewing the book ... and... and... (Though it looks like only half the gang is coming, which amounts to only five people, so maybe I could just do half the cleaning??)
But I love you all and don't want you to vanish -- and so appreciate all you do, ARK, to keep us together -- so here I be.
And here's our weather report: We had the heat and humidity almost everybody else had last week, just nowhere near so extreme-- temps about 90. Rain yesterday and the day before, but nowhere near enough, because we're in drought. Sun struggling to come out today, but oh so refreshingly cool...70-ish. My scooters are my air-conditioners.
Now to that dust rag. Yuck. Double yuck. Razz
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Gang. I was waiting for the month to go by to make certain my
computer is cleared out and new security package working well.

Glad all is well here. I agree, our board is dwindling for those more interested in Facebook.

Cat story: As you know, my area has many feral cats and I have another litter on our property. I called the cat rescue and they went to get them but we are now having a sort of cat war. I'm not there to be part of it, but the cat owners in the hood are all up in arms. I suggested perhaps animal control make a sweep.............others are upset they will take their cats. How about responsible ownership, bring your own cat in etc and after the sweep, then let your in & out cats out..................anyhow, it's not my problem so I asked them to settle however they see fit. What I really wanted to say was simply go ahead and argue amongst yourselves. I'm out of the loop. The female that was on our property w her kittens (3rd litter) is now fostered. My daughter is paying for her spay & shots, etc. when kittens are weaned and taking her to her house to live. Her name is Fawn now. Ha, then daughter went to work yet and there was a kitten loose in their parking lot........now she took that one home. Her name is Baby. So. I explained to my daughter she has now done her share for the cat population in our town.
However, she could possibly wind up being the crazy cat lady of her neighborhood. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Graymare and Beech, I sure am glad to see you both back here.  

Graymare, you daughter has definitely done her fair share to take care of unwanted cats.

A few of the troops arrived with the camper last Saturday, more will start coming this next Saturday.  Most of them will stay for the next week.  Gonna be busy around here, but fun.

It's going to be hot, so swimming will be at the top of the 'to do' list.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 pm

I am happy to see you all! cheers

Good job, GRAYMARE' s daughter!! We can relate!

The only thing that keeps me from being the neighborhood crazy cat lady is that Donnie is as bad as me, maybe worse. He has turned into a cat whisperer, or cat daddy ROFL . He is good at taming wild kitties. Right now he is working on Dorian GreyCat, who is quickly turning into a cat marshmallow. Donnie brushes him every morning, the cat who showed up wild and raggedy, and untouchable, last fall. Our other recent stray arrival, Dory, is living happily in the barn with Wizard, the resident barncat. She is still untouchable, but will come near us now without freaking out. Donnie will tame her, I am sure.... Very Happy

My physical therapy seems to be paying off, finally. I got on Ivan last evening for the first time in weeks, and the muscle pain was very brief. Better than in a very long time. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride more than a few minutes. Ivan showed signs that he was hurting and didn't want to move. Mr. Energizer Bunny never wants to not move, so I took it seriously and got off of him. We couldn't figure out where he was hurting, his feet seemed fine, no swelling anywhere, but definitely reluctant to move much. Donnie thought he looked bloated, but I think that is called"fat". Lori couldn't pinpoint where he was hurting either. Areion has been on a mission to gain social status this past week and may have kicked Ivan or caused him to wrench something. He is eating normally and is walking more freely today. So we are going to 'wait and see' for a few days.

Areion's lesson was a bucking free-for-all during her ground work. Lori worked her until she decided to play nice, then rode her and had a decent lesson.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 6:20 am

ARK: I'm guilty as charged as a lurker. Not really much going on other than sweating & watering the garden in this awful heat or hiding with Ace the wimp dog from the storms that have been tearing thru. I don't do FB, just not enough time in my not busy or overly busy day. I sure would miss everyone if this site went away.

We are chicken sitting for a friend of ours. Thank God his awful rooster Roger isn't alive, he was a terror. The hens are much easier to get into the coop without watching for Roger, who would sneak around and attack from the rear as soon as he saw our attention was on the hens and not him.

I've been picking Blackberries , my very favorite summertime experience, the patch is loaded this year. I already made a cobbler and have enough berries for a pie in the fridge.

Still missing my Sassy Cat, it is strange without her following me around or bossing Ace around. Almost a month has gone by since she crossed The Bridge. His fear of storms has gotten worse without his comforter.

Something weird happened to our watermelon plant It was fine on Sunday, yesterday I went to pick cukes for pickles and the plant is dead. We did get 6 melons off of it. We think the stake was hit by lightening and it killed the roots. Very strange..

We made 17 pints of 7 day sweet pickles, not sure why they call them 7 days, it actually takes 10 days. Yesterday we made 6 pints of dill pickles, they are so much easier.

Please don't go away everyone, I would miss you so much.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 11:53 am

I sure agree TRUDY.............I don't want anything to happen to this board.

Nothing new here today. Clouds clouds clouds............we will get another good rain. With the Southwest an inferno, every drop of rain helps.
Interesting.............our world really is threatened by global warming.
Everyone is complaining of this summer............farmers are either getting way too much rain or not enough. Crops are lost. Others, it's storms, for other serious heat. We're going to Alaska and they are losing their ice and glaciers. Polar bears have dwindled in #'s with worries of extinction............as well as elephants in Africa in their inferno. I didn't use to pay as much attn, but I see such a huge difference right here where streams used to be in the 80's...........all gone. Meadows were green in June and now, if at all, green by mid August..............all cattle gone as there is no good grazing as there is no water. I wonder if INDY got a good growth for her pasture. The differences are slight so many do not notice. I'm just beginning to seriously see it. America is losing hayfields by the day with the growth of population & housing. Pardon me..............just sitting here gazing at the reduction of non polluted land and wildlife.................LOL, just me & Rex. I asked him what he thought and he simply whined. Seriously. It was
cute. We're the lucky ones. Our grandchildren won't get to see it. They will spend most of their time trying to get it back. I'm looking right at it and still in delusion. People, God's most dangerous animal.

Beech, add to it as NE has changed big time. I'm curious as to the local changes where you all live, ever so slight. Boy, CB sure knows about Texas and their inferno. Maybe even Missouri, I don't know.............

OK, off my box for this morning. I can only report what I see. It's minute, I realize that but I think earth has a fever..................
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 12:20 pm

TRUDY, you're the one that got me going. Your area is different in the last 20 yrs, also..........tell us more.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Playing tour is to with Alice today. Hitting Amish stores, toured Bennet springs fish hatchery and state park. Tomorrow we go to Brandon and take in some shows, Dixie stampede, showboat belle, dinner show cruise, ride the ducks which are amphibious landing craft for a ride thru town and on to the lake.
Playing tourist is fun but expensive....but its nice to spend time together, relax and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 10:31 pm

CB, have a great time!!! Your turn.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 11:25 pm

This has been a hotter summer than we've had in a few years, due to El Nino. But we have had two colder summers in a row the last two years - too cold to want to swim much. So, we are glad to have some good swimming weather this year.
The water level has stayed close to normal for the last year, with some minor ups and downs.
I tend not to believe global warming, attributing the changes to normal earth cycles. However, with all the other serious problems in the world, my concern about warming is at the bottom of my priority list.

CB, I'm glad you are having some fun. Like Graymare said, it's your turn. You've had a lot to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 12:33 am

GRAYMARE
I think we need to be mindful of climate change, too. It's hard to tell what is going on in the world overall, but so many scientists believe that humans have added to the climate change, I don't think I would disagree. It seems so smart to implement changes that we can and try to slow it down. I am grateful for having grown up when I did and feel bad for future generations. As long as making money is the priority, not much will get fixed.... Sad

CB
Hope you have a ton of fun!!! I live vicariously, please post reports!! Very Happy

ELLEN
We had a very cool day today! I don't think it ever got to 70° and it rained all day. I had to go down the interstate to meet a friend for lunch and got into white-out conditions when big trucks threw the rain off the road. There were several times when I couldn't see the lines in the road. Scary. I came home on the back roads. It was slower, but safer.

Our hayfields are almost ready for a second cutting. We have been fairly lucky this summer with rain and crops.

Ivan seems better, but is still favoring his right front leg. We are still not sure what is going on with him. No heat, no swelling, no hoof pain.

I found ThunderPuff in the dryer today. I got something out of it, left the room for a minute and found him lounging in it when I got back. The cat keeps us laughing... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:22 am

OK I'm back as promised. As I get older the weather really effects me, my body is having it's own form of global warming. Not a big fan of global warming, I think it's just the normal ebb and flow of the earths temps. Last summer it rained non stop, we hardly had to water the garden. PA weather is always crazy. . We are used to big changes here yearly, one Halloween it snowed, the next year it didn't snow until late January.

ELLEN: I agree there are so many more things that scare me to death that are going on in this country. My Pastor said "we are not supposed to whine about the summer and winter, just pick one or else we are just wimps." That's me a wimp, I whine all year about the weather. Egads I'm turning into my mother. LOL

George went to the dentist yesterday and had 2 teeth pulled. OUCH...of course he is dong fine, he's such a tough guy. I went to Walmart on Farmers Market Day while he was at the dentist. NEVER AGAIN....what a nightmare of people, after the market they all converge on Walmart. Glad I was only getting a few items and could get outta there quickly before I had my own PTSD attack. Why are people so darn RUDE????

Getting stuff ready for big MOPH picnic on Sunday. The yearly picnic is always on Purple Heart Day August 7. It's also daughter Amy's birthday, her dad embarrasses her every year and has everyone sing happy birthday to her at the picnic.

Even if it's only a few of us left, please don't go away. You guys are the only horsie fix I have left. All my friends are horseless now, the last one just sold her horse.

Love & prayers for all.....
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 3:05 pm

At Dixie stampede, yehawwww.
Missouri is hot and HUMID! Wow 114 one if the days we yard sold with heat index, ugh.
Hot today, have plans for indoor stuff only in a/c.
Maybe soak Ivan's foot? Could be bruised too, I've had horses do that. My two ate red clover and its like they r throwing up, the slobbers are so luquidy....looks sick! Ick!
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Forgive me, folks, but if I'm going to post here, and if the subject is global warming, I've got to say my piece. And that is that it's real, that it's man-made, that its consequences (some of which are unquestionably already upon us) are destined, ultimately, to be utterly devastating, and that, if you don't know that, it's because a dominant part of corporate America, promoting its own interests over those of the common good, has been pouring money into saying exactly the opposite for decades, precisely as American Tobacco told us, for years after we knew better, that cigarettes were harmless. And I know this because my brother is a distinguished scientist whose lifetime of work in ecology -- pioneering, and especially on public policy as it affects the natural environment -- make him a recognized expert on the subject -- one among the 98 percent of scientists who accept what I wrote above as undeniable fact and not a matter of belief or opinion. You can read him (George M. Woodwell) writing himself at length on the subject in a full-length book (227 pages) called A World to Live In published by the MIT Press this past February. Or you can listen to him (or read a transcript) being interviewed by Steve Curwood just this past week on Curwood's weekly radio show called Living on Earth. There's a link below.
I wouldn't be so outspoken about this if it were less important. The truth is, really, that all other problems actually pale before this one, rightly understood. And they are interconnected. Read Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=16-P13-00031&segmentID=5
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 pm

BEECH. I know I'm not crazy. I'm literally out in the wilds where it is all easily seen in increments. I do as I can, only being one person. Obviously,
I use fossil fuel and I eat junk food.................I am slowly making changes.

I read the article. I will follow up......

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:33 am

It's OK for everyone to have an opinion on anything we talk about on this forum, we are all adults here and can listen and accept others opinions. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I don't like the old saying "don't talk about religion, politics or anything that upsets people". Gee wiz how are you going to learn anything if you can't discuss things? On that note. I'm moving on..

We've been busy getting George ready to head to VA for the Purple Heart Convention. That man has waayyyyy to many clothes. Good thing I'm not traveling with him, we would need a trailer to hold his and mine. LOL He leaves on Tuesday and will be gone until Sunday. AAAHHHHH peace and quiet for a few days. My Aunt and cousin are driving up from Pittsburgh on Tuesday and will stay overnight, I haven't seen them in years, it will be good to spend some family time with them. I'm going to hang out with my girlfriends while he is gone and eat out every night. It's a mini vacation for me.

Gotta bake a cake for the fire hall's festival this morning so gotta run and get busy in the kitchen.

Love & prayers for all....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 pm

TRUDY, you're so right. I'm just seeing huge changes where I live and brought it up. I'm not expecting everyone to buy into it as I know many don't. That's OK. We're adults here and each to their own. You & George grow your own organic veggies. I think that is so wonderful.........I'm a wannabe vegetarian.
I go for days on veggies, grains, soy etc.............then boom, a big fat rib eye.
Shocked Shocked Shocked I do drink Pepsi, I don't drink Pepsi.............I do drink Pepsi, I don't drink Pepsi, etc.........water water, gatorade gatorade. Straight orange juice til the oranges are gone, etc................ha, then chocolate & cake.
Yep, I'm right on track. affraid affraid affraid I eat whatever I want or feel like eating................McD's quarter pounder & a large coke.......there you have it...............old lady loose w $3.............
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 12:28 am

BEECH
I read the interview. Wow! You have a brilliant brother! wavy He has done a lot of good, I bet you are very proud of him! I hope lots of people listen to him.

GRAYMARE
Someone posted on Facebook that we should post three words of advice to our younger selves. Several posted profound advice. All I could think of was "eat more chocolate". rake

TRUDY
How is the chicken sitting going? Are they at your place or are you running back and forth?
My current oldest cat is our barncat, Wizard. He is in his early teens. Recently he has started getting kind of feeble minded. I found him sitting out in the heavy rain twice this week, seemingly oblivious. I have started putting him in a cage at night to keep some predator from getting him. He walked right up to Lori's dog on Monday, the dog didn't do anything, but could have. Wizard is a sweet guy, friends with mice, and treats all our cats well. I hate to see him get old. Sad

ELLEN
Tell me the weather is better! We have flood warnings from all the rain this week. My yard never gets dry enough to mow and it is growing like crazy. It has been wonderfully cool this week, though.

CB
Keep having fun!!

Good news: Ivan is back to his energetic self. Whatever was bothering him seems to have gone away. wavy
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 7:22 am

ARK: We are chicken sitting at their house not here. The barn cats would have a field day if we brought the chickens here. Jeff has 17 of them 2 young roosters and 15 hens. We have to make sure they are in their coops at nights as he has some predators over there and has lost about 6 or 7 chickens in the last 6 months. George built them a special feeding station sine he didn't approve of what Jeff built.

GRAYMARE: we are meat eaters too, love some nice steaks on the grill..I do try not to drink too much pop or sweet tea. We get our meat from the farmer next store and eggs from Jeff. Local produce from our garden or one of the many farmers markets around here. Try to eat healthy as possible.

I made a blackberry pie yesterday after I made the angel food cake. How healthy is that???? I did take the cake to the fire hall for the cake wheel, so we won't be eating that. I picked the berries myself so they are healthy right??? We do allow ourselves to enjoy whatever food we want in moderation.

George & I do Shakeology shakes everyday, they help him with his blood sugar highs and lows, and we have both lost weight. Probably 30 pounds for him and 15 for me. Trying to stay far away from doctors if possible. I cut up fresh fruit and freeze it to put in the shakes.

Have a great weekend everyone. We are off to the Fire Hall festival tonight.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 6:50 pm

The troops are arriving in force. This morning, there were 6 of us. This afternoon, there are somewhere between 25 and 30. All the water toys have been blown up and are scattered all over the yard, some of them are tied to the dock, kids are all wet, kayaks have been exercised, pedal boats have been pedaled, some lazy/tired adults are sitting in lawn chairs in the yard. A good time is being had by all.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

August 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2016
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next