Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2016

Go down 
+5
Graymare
Ark
Rose
Indyapp
Beech
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

August 2016 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 6:50 pm

The troops are arriving in force. This morning, there were 6 of us. This afternoon, there are somewhere between 25 and 30. All the water toys have been blown up and are scattered all over the yard, some of them are tied to the dock, kids are all wet, kayaks have been exercised, pedal boats have been pedaled, some lazy/tired adults are sitting in lawn chairs in the yard. A good time is being had by all.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 7:37 am

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone. Today is Purple Heart Day always August 7, and we are having our chapters picnic. I made my special baked beans with ground meat as my covered dish. Gonna have a good time with all the veterans, it's an open picnic for all Veterans.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Ohhhhh I'm so fang stuffed.....

Tomorrow the cheese and chocolate places, home made veggie soup, early night.....

I need to recuperate but had fun.
Ellen, Trudy have fun.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 11:13 am

It's great we all had a good mid summer week end............

More rain coming in here later this afternoon. We have a mystery lunch today......we all pile in a car and only the driver knows where we're going.........I know the cost is $10 but that's all I know. I hope it's Pie City.

Everyone have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 am

Things are starting off a little quieter this morning. Some are off on a borrowed pontoon. Three 13 year old boys are out in a rowboat with a 5 horse motor, thinking they are really big stuff. Two took the jet ski to fill it with gas, and two more went to the grocery store. Those in the house across the lake are sitting on their deck taking it easy too.
I'm sitting here in the temporary peace and quiet.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 12:19 am

We were lazy over the weekend.  It rained, of course, so that was our excuse.  Very Happy   Donnie really needed some rest, he had a hard week.  We are into watching "Grimm", which has been very entertaining in a twisted fairy tale kind of way.

Today I rode Ivan!! cheers  First time in almost a month.  He was back to normal, I was relatively pain free, so it went well.  It was cloudy and very cool, maybe 70°.  It never did rain during our lessons, which was considerate.   Areion is still on a rambunctious jag, so she got a vigorous lesson with Lori.  I didn't feel like riding Miss Spookypants.  

Physical therapy tomorrow.  I should be nicely saddlesore.  Very Happy We  trotted a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 am

George leaves this morning for the Military Order of the Purple Heart national convention in VA. 6 days of peace and quiet for me & Ace. Well not exactly, my Aunt and Cousin are coming up from Pittsburgh today to spend a couple days with me. I haven't seen them in years so it will be a great couple of days. I guess we will all be shocked at how "old" we have gotten. LOL My Aunt tuned 86 last Saturday.

The picnic was nice, everyone had a good time and we had lots of good food to chow down on. Sad but the group of guys gets smaller and smaller year. Our daughters birthday day is on Purple Heart Day and even though George assures her, he won't sing HB to her, he does ever year and this year was no exception, although he said we were singing HB to Purple Heart Day not her. LOL She gets so embarrassed and wants to murder him. Poor kid.

Have a great day everyone. I'll be waving bye bye to my dear hubby in about 2 hours. The count down is on. I'm eating out everyday and going to the Montour Fair with my girlfriends.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 8:12 am

Just saw Alice off on plane, fun is over, now its back to work!
Nice needed break.
Have fun everyone!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Its raining, it's pouring, the mountain lady is snoring..........pizza for lunch, good book.................Rex flat out..............music on radio.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:24 pm

The olympics for today:

Equestrian

Team eventing

Gold--France

Silver--Germany

Bronze--Australia

Individual eventing

Gold--Michael Jung, Germany

Silver--Astier Nicolas, France

Bronze--Phillip Dutton, United States

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 pm

I actually got to watch the eventing finals today. The US lost two riders yesterday in the cross country. I didn't get to see any of that, but it must have been a really tough course.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello everyone, please don't go away. I haven't had time to come visit lately, but I hope to get back into the swing of things. I enjoy keeping up with what everyone is doing. Me? I'm trying to keep up with stuff around the house and not having a very good time of it. I had such high hopes this spring when I had my pasture planted. I had visions of a beautiful grassy pasture. Pfffttt. I have weeds, weeds, and more weeds. I've had tractor issues. I have about two thirds of the pasture that I might be able to salvage now that the tractor is running properly again. The back third is a total loss. I'm not kidding the weeds are a good 6 foot high. I've had to get a heavy duty weed whacker with a saw blade to cut them down. My tractor can't cut through it.

I did get seven pine trees that are at least 50 feet tall cut down so at least they won't come down on the barn. Now I have to get them cut and burnt up. Nobody wants pine, I can't even give them away. I also had a bull dozer come in and doze out close to a quarter mile stretch so I can finally put a fence up along my property line. So it's not all bad, it's just VERY time consuming and a lot of work.

Anyone else watching the Olympics tonight? The Chinese Women's Gymnastics team all look so young. One did a fantastic job on the vault and I don't think she weighs 75 pounds dripping wet. And she can't possibly be much more than 14. I refuse to put that much stress on my young horses' legs and I don't think there should be as much stress on these young girls for the very same reason.

I hope to be able to catch some of the equestrian events reruns on the web as I don't have cable and the event's that NBC is to show is while I am at work. pffffttt.

Have a nice night everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Indy, those Chinese girls do look so young. In past years, there has been some controversy about their ages since they are supposed to be 16 to compete in the Olympics. It also occurs to me that they might be using some kind of meds to keep them small.
BUT, our girls are FANTASTIC! They've been winning with big point margins.

It's a lot of work to maintain any property, and with horses there is a lot more. It's hot today, and will be tomorrow and Friday, so there is going to be a lot of water time.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 10:48 pm

MMMMMMM. Chicken fried steak, potatoes, carrots, beets, & rolls for dinner.
I can't move....................

Good news, bad news. You can see some of the equine olympics but not
much. It seems they do show the "finals" of each sport. So, more to come on Saturday & Sunday.

Chilly up here today with more rain tonight supposedly. It's green and gorgeous up here. Rex is having a great time playing with his summertime friends. LOL, so are we.

Everyone have a good evening.....God bless.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Some more cousins came today, just for the day. Believe me, they didn't come empty handed. Chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, ribs, and assorted other goodies. We are stuffed and will have lots of leftovers tomorrow.
It has been HOT all day and into the night.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 5:53 am

74 degrees at 4 AM. UUUGGHHHHHH more hot days in the forecast. Slept or tried to sleep in the living room with Ace while storms came back around and gave us another fun night of thunder and lightening.

The visit with my aunt and cousin was a good one. It was so nice to spend time with them, I haven't seen Denny in over 20 years. Neither one of them are well and use oxygen to breathe. Had to make a trip to the local garage with his car before they left, he picked up a nail in his tire on the way here. I wouldn't let them go without having it checked out.

George made it to Norfolk in one piece, praying he makes it home on Sunday the same way. The convention is going well, glad I didn't go though. Another kid in the ER yesterday. These darn kids...always something going on with one of them.

I didn't get to see any of the horse events but did see the girls Gymnastics, some volleyball and a crazy water pole bending event. That looked like a lot of fun.

Love & prayers for all......
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Posted big one and it never showed up....so shorter version...airport, picked up Alice, dinner IHOP. Weds Amish shops, Bennett springs state park, roast chicken dinner w trimmings, Thurs...Brandon, checked into raddison, hard beds, small rooms, no microwave, saw Dixie stampede show had dinner...Fri, we went to timeshare spiel where I found out while touring cabin done in fresh cedar that I'm allergic to it, had asthma attack and EMTs gave me breathing treatment, then went on Brandon showboat cruise, huge river boat with paddle wheel, cruise, a good show, dinner. Sat we left, did wild animal safari tour and Clyde the camel reached in the bus window and stole my hat and my bag of pellets, I had to argue with him for my hat! Sunday, dinner at Lambert's, where they throw dinner rolls atcha! Monday, chic outlet, cheese factory, ate lits of samples and antique mall, Alice gone at Six am Tuesday. Fun time but very hot and humid. Now back to packing....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Sounds terrific CB..................sorry about your asthma attack, for sure.
I'm glad you go to have a real vacation for a nice break.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 7:55 pm

It sure has been hot here too, CB.  But that hasn't stopped the fun.  
Today it has been rather cloudy with a few little rains.  The humidity has been AWFUL.  
Tomorrow is 'get-away' day, and all the troops have been rounding up belongings and getting them packed up to go home. Two of them left a few minutes ago because of a wedding tomorrow.  There was great reluctance and little enthusiasm for the wedding.
By Monday morning, I think there will only be two left, and those will go home Tuesday.
Several of the comers and goers had not been here since the remodel and seemed to like what they saw.  One of the gals who was here yesterday did everything she could do in one day.  She swam, played volley ball,  went on the pedal boat, and LOVED the jet ski.  It wouldn't surprise me if her husband gets her one for Christmas.
It's been fun to have everybody here.  Once again, my cousins are such good people and do everything for me.  I get to sit around like a little spoiled princess.  I'll think of something that needs to be done and then discover that's it's already been done.  It's going to be terrible to have to go back to doing my own chores next week.  Very Happy
I'm very proud of my cousins and their families.  They are all really good people.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 3:58 pm

The last of the cousins have just left. It will be rather quiet here for a little while. I just have to run the vacuum, put sheets on a bed, and all will be back to normal. My family is the best about cleaning up after themselves. They are very careful to put things back where they came from.
One of them put up a new flag pole for me, and raised a brand new flag.
It's been a busy, but good two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Hot, hot, hot here. Donnie said he has discovered he doesn't do hot as well as he used to. I live with my handkerchief/sweat rag. We finally got our overgrown yard mowed after a couple of weeks of daily rain, and Donnie spent two after work evenings picking up the grass clippings. We could have made several bales of hay from it. Our next door neighbor has given up on mowing this year, she has a jungle growing. It doesn't take long to get overwhelmed. Behind our barn looks like her backyard. I started turning the herd loose back there so they could knock down the weeds towering over them. You can't even see the ponies or Cactus Jack, but they are having a good time in there.

I did my last two physical therapy sessions this week after trotting on Ivan on Monday. I could barely walk for a few days without wincing in pain. My ride was great, and I have tried to remember that all week.

You folks have had fun this week! Good to hear! I want a vacation, need a vacation, deserve a vacation, and won't be getting a vacation for the foreseeable future. Sigh..... Keep posting, I live vicariously! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 10:41 am

Good morning..............hoping all is well.

Things are fine here............on the home front, due to rains, horses have a LOT of grass, LOL, fat city. Up here, Rex is in charge of chasing squirrels & rabbits. They keep running and he sits down and watches. It's funny as it is as if he is saying "knock yourself out, I'm not running up & down that mountain side. Come on back and I'll then chase you".

There is equestrian olympics on NBC today, I think 4P EST.

Everyone have a good day..........God bless.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I did manage to watch the few minutes of open jumping that they were willing to show. Of course, there are hours and hours of badminton and ping pong coverage. Our riders did okay and will go to the next round.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 pm

So far, it's not the ear for the U S riders..............

Maybe in 4 years................
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 11:28 pm

I saw only woman rider today fall off her horse when he stumbled, an Olympian rider going off sure makes me feel better about the times I've hit the dirt. The horse landed the jump and then stumbled.
Ellen, sounds like a fun time.
Ark, go on that vacation, life is short. At least you r riding. I want to send my made to another thirty days of trails....or I probably should sell her for someone to rude her and give her a job, I'm torn. But I do know I couldn't handle a toss....getting old sucks.
Both Randi and jaemi were at the er inhaled too much smoke from grass fire, Randi almost lost her barn, house, animals, it was close. She passed out and had to go to er by ambulance. I didn't recognize jaemis voice she had inhaled so much smoke. They had some excitement. A neighbor lost her barn but no animals. Thank goodness.....
Their is a pic of God harper on Feb trying to stand up on her rocking horse and she fell off pulling it over on her, Lil dare devil trick rider. She will probably give me more gray hair this next week while babysitting her. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 1:21 pm

No, everyone, don't stop posting or even think about going away, please!

ARK, please don't feel badly about back of barn yard.  I promise I try to work in my back half-acre every day, an hour or two a day, I have so many small trees and branches over my fence, a horrid mess and because of the abundance of rain a week or two ago, grass and weeds almost up to my waist.  Got about 75% of the mowing done, cleaned all grass, weeds, and a small tree away from my central AC unit.  Still have those wicked branches and trees to cut away and haul to a spot where it can dry out to be burned later.  Still need to remow and weedeat the front yard too.  Who woulda thought that at age 70 all my muscles and bones would ache after just a couple hous!!!!  On the bright side, Inky will now let you lead him..........and touch and pet him all over.  His heart is gonna be broken this coming weekend because his sweet playmate, one month older filly, Gypsy, is going to her home.   I don't think the yearlings in the pasture with him are going to be nearly as tolerant of his playing, rearing, running and nipping, bucking and farting!!!!  He is all little boy!

ELLEN, I envy you that lakeside.  It's been blistering hot and humid here.  I haven't been quite as closely watching races with all the work I need to do.  Hopefully will get back into it soon as Junior returns, and can get this jungle tamed, but I did enjoy seeing Jeff back for a couple races.  

CB, so glad you got a reall little vacation while amidst the chaos of packing up and trying to sell the house.  Hope you can keep your mare, but most certainly understand the fear of taking a tumble.  Can never take that lightly as we age!!!

RICK, if you still read here sometimes, so sorry I missed your calls, been out in the jungle a lot.  Miss ya!

Catch up more in a bit, hugs all around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2016
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next