Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2016

Go down 
+5
Graymare
Ark
Rose
Indyapp
Beech
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Rose

August 2016 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 1:21 pm

No, everyone, don't stop posting or even think about going away, please!

ARK, please don't feel badly about back of barn yard.  I promise I try to work in my back half-acre every day, an hour or two a day, I have so many small trees and branches over my fence, a horrid mess and because of the abundance of rain a week or two ago, grass and weeds almost up to my waist.  Got about 75% of the mowing done, cleaned all grass, weeds, and a small tree away from my central AC unit.  Still have those wicked branches and trees to cut away and haul to a spot where it can dry out to be burned later.  Still need to remow and weedeat the front yard too.  Who woulda thought that at age 70 all my muscles and bones would ache after just a couple hous!!!!  On the bright side, Inky will now let you lead him..........and touch and pet him all over.  His heart is gonna be broken this coming weekend because his sweet playmate, one month older filly, Gypsy, is going to her home.   I don't think the yearlings in the pasture with him are going to be nearly as tolerant of his playing, rearing, running and nipping, bucking and farting!!!!  He is all little boy!

ELLEN, I envy you that lakeside.  It's been blistering hot and humid here.  I haven't been quite as closely watching races with all the work I need to do.  Hopefully will get back into it soon as Junior returns, and can get this jungle tamed, but I did enjoy seeing Jeff back for a couple races.  

CB, so glad you got a reall little vacation while amidst the chaos of packing up and trying to sell the house.  Hope you can keep your mare, but most certainly understand the fear of taking a tumble.  Can never take that lightly as we age!!!

RICK, if you still read here sometimes, so sorry I missed your calls, been out in the jungle a lot.  Miss ya!

Catch up more in a bit, hugs all around
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm

I got lucky and got to see a little bit of the individual dressage. The American girl, Lauren Graves, wound up 4th after a really good ride that had two tiny mistakes. At that level, that was enough to knock her off the podium. She did have her highest personal score.
Her horse was purchased as a yearling, wild and dangerous. He even threw her and her back was broken. They tried to sell him, but nobody wanted him. She kept working with him and her efforts are showing how well she did.

Rose, I saw the Xfinity race from Mid-Ohio on Saturday. It was raining hard and it looked more like dodge 'em cars instead of a race. Even with rain tires, they could hardly get around any of the turns without sliding off.
Bristol next weekend. That ought to be good. It always is.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 4:47 pm

I have yet to see a single equestrian event this time. I did see some swimming and running events.

Last night I rode both Areion and Ivan! cheers Areion was in a mellow, and somewhat exhausted, mood after her lesson with Lori. It has been so hot, poor Areion was dripping with sweat even though we waited until the arena was shaded in the late afternoon. Anyway, I got a nice ride with no spooks on her. My glitchy thigh muscle screamed a little, but not bad. Then I had a lesson on Ivan that lasted until after dark. He was really in a good mood, no antsy spooks from him even in the scary corner! Very Happy We worked on riding patterns at different speeds. Fun!

Today I feel fine, no saddlesoreness at all, yet. Last week was really miserable.

It was really nice to ride Ivan, he is not as wide as Areion and was comfy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Today, I happened to see a little bit of the open jumping. They were overlapping the team and individual events, so that one trip was a score for both. As a team, the U.S. did well. Three clear rounds. Beezie Madden had two rails down, but she did well enough to go on to the next round.

Then, later I was watching the spring board diving. The defending champion, a Russian diver, has been having a terrible time of it. Yesterday the wind was throwing him off and his feet hit the board on the way down. Today was a disaster for him. He didn't get rotated enough and hit the water belly and face down. It looked like a dive a beginner would do. I felt badly for him.
One of the U.S. divers is doing really well. The other is doing okay, but has some scores to make up.

It rained ALL day yesterday, and most of the night. It finally stopped raining mid-morning, but the humidity was awful.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 5:41 am

What a day we had on Monday. No wonder I'm half nuts. Went to Lewisburg to get water and gas in the truck. Half way there it started bucking. George is like "oh we must be on the rumble strips." I say "we are in the middle of the road and there are NO RUMBLE strips in the middle of a highway, something is really wrong with this truck." We managed to get her to the Ford garage and she didn't let us sitting along side the road. Blessing number one...They said they would look at her as soon as they had a free mechanic, the place was packed...so I called Barb to come and get me, so I could get a vehicle and come back and get George, as it looked like a all day wait. Right before she arrived, they pulled it into the bay and were working on it. I went home with Barb anyway. Blessing number two.

On the way home Stacy called me, his van broke down and he needed a ride to his house to get his truck cause he had a doctor appointment at 12:30. I'm like "I can't help you, I'm getting a ride myself cause my truck broke down"

Then the phone rings and it's George telling me what is wrong with the truck, something about only 4 cylinders firing and blah blah blah...

Big mistake leaving George alone there with all those new trucks. You know what happened right???? Of course, he bought a new truck...so we are the owners of a 2016 F-150 4X4. It's RED....yeah...not the bright red like the Explorer but a darker red like the Cougar. I haven't seen it yet. He thought he better get a red truck to appease me for buying a new truck. LOL LOL Like I care what he buys.

Just the fact that the truck got George home on Sunday from Norfolk VA was the largest blessing of all, it could have broken down along the highway in another state. Once again, I told him it was doing weird things the last time we were in it but, of course, I just imagine things cause yes I like things to break down. In hind sight he realized it had been breaking down slowly and accepted that YES it had been doing weird things the last couple months. MEN!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 10:07 am

Oooo. Pretty new truck! You won't have to be worrying about it doing weird things now. It's a nice feeling to know that the likelihood of a breakdown is very small.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi everyone........I'm down in the heat doing yard work.............we came down real early in the morning to avoid the traffic yesterday. Anyhow, really tired between meeting w my friends and working on the property.

TRUDY, whew, brand new truck.............woohoo! Sounds really nice.

Went to the feed store and got 3 fly masks on sale...........ha, and our Wendy's has Frostys on sale for .50 so went twice today. My friend and I went to get one on the way to the feed store & got one on the way home from the feed store. Too funny.

I haven't seen the equine events either. Friend said they were on yest on USA.

Oh, packed for Alaska in Sept except for bathroom accessories.........

Everyone have a great evening. ROSE, please post a pic of Inky.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 10:18 pm

I happened to see the open jumping this morning.  Beezie's horse had an injured tendon, so she was out.  The other three on the team did pretty well and got the silver.  
There was one fence that was sooo big, I don't know how any of them jumped it, but they all did.

Graymare, you may have already seen an Ulu knife with the shallow bowl shaped cutting board, but if you haven't - get one. They are great for chopping all kinds of things. My neighbor brought me one when they went on the Alaska cruise in June. I love the thing. It's especially good for things that have quite a bit of liquid, like tomatoes. Keeps everything contained. The knife itself is SHARP and really easy to use.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 11:38 pm

ELLEN, my friend from AK gave me one years ago..........I don't have a bowl tho..........funny you would mention that as I can never remember what it's called.........I call it the 1/4 moon knife..........LOL. AND, yes, a great knife.
I'll try to sound like an expert to my friends on the ship. I don't guess they know about them. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I packed while it was so hot outside and set it all ready to go in the spare room. Easy, as I'm not taking much.........nothing dressy at all. We are doing all outdoor activities off ship and eating w friends..........Oh, my Equs coat, of course, as it can outfight any storm while we're out...........

Later gators.................
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 am

TRUDY
 Congrats on the new truck!!! wavy   Awwww, that new car smell..... Very Happy

CB
Any house nibbles?

ELLEN
Never have heard of that kind of knife, but it sounds useful.  Have you recovered from your visitors yet?  Are they coming back for Labor Day?  You have great cousins!

GRAYMARE
 You are taking a cruise to Alaska?  Wow!  I bet that will be great!!  I don't think I would like driving there, but a cruise would be fun!  

We had several thunderstorms today.  Lots of rain and lightning.  I managed to get things done and never got wet! Very Happy   Our hay is ready for cutting, but it hasn't been possible with all the storms.  

ROSE
 Not to worry, we are still here.  As long as the forum is useful and wanted, I don't mind maintaining it.  sunny
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 am

Here is a link to the Ulu that I have, with the cutting board/bowl.
http://shop.theulufactory.com/Large-Bowl-Only-8-x-8-x-1-1-2-BB7.htm

If you look at the rest of the website, it shows the other products they have.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 12:53 am

No nibbles on house but have listed it with agent now.
GM cruise sounds wondeful. We want to drive up to fairbanks next spring if our health will allow. We lived there for four years, would like to see how it has changed. Will stop and visit the girls in Idaho too.
Getting to know gd Harper again, she is a riot! Wuv her and the other three and they tell me about their boyfriends and teachers, it's great.
Having fun. 1 half yr, 10, 13, 14.....oh my, daddy is going to have to carry a shotgun I fear! Lol
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 am

Interesting:

Fédération Equestre Internationale's video.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 1:26 am

Well, phooey.........too tired to fiddle w it................
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 8:02 am

Trudy congrats on your new truck, it's a joy to have one you can really trust....I truly know this.....love our new one, feel soooo much better about taking trips....I know all about bad trips and breakdowns..nightmares still haunt me.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 9:41 am

If interested the site is: fei.org

Videos of the olympics are right there...........fun to see if you have time to waste.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 6:00 pm

I got to see the jumping final rounds today. Holy cow! Those were some BIG jumps. I've seen big jumps like that before, but it never fails to impress me. There were 6 horses that had jumped clear all the way through until their last trip. Tall fences and fast pace eliminated all but one. It was exciting to watch.
I like it that men and women of all ages are competing against one another, about the only sport where that happens, or can happen.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:20 pm

We r surviving the grandparent babysitting scenario....Harper is a doll.
We r enjoying our visit altho the 3 older girls went to their moms as school starts monday.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 6:21 pm

It's so odd now.............schools all over the country start at odd times.........
friend's g daughter started in July..............they're on a quarter system.
My neighbor kids started last Monday.

Hot hot hot in the valley, pleasant here in the mountains. Rain coming.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 10:42 pm

School systems are trying all kinds of different calendars in an effort to make kids smarter. They are trying everything except setting standards and insisting that kids meet those standards. I'm really glad I'm not teaching now.

It was only in the mid 70s today, but the humidity was high and it rained several times during the day. The humidity made it feel a lot hotter than it really was. Now? Just as it's getting dark, the humidity is dropping and so is the temperature. It feels cold now. LOL Never satisfied. (not really)

CB, enjoy that little girl as much as you can. Smile If I remember right, she's about 15 months old which is one of the cutest toddler stages.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Harper is 17 months on the 23rd. She talks some complete sentences and says about 40 words...she has a french accent. Book is bookeh....I love her to pieces. A horse is a neigh neigh.....lolit was nice enuf here to walk outside twice today, loved it.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Harper sounds like a smart baby! Takes after Granny, right CB? Very Happy I bet she is a cutie!

GRAYMARE
The schools in our county started around Aug.8, but the county Donnie works in next door started last week. Strange system.

ELLEN
It has been a long time since I taught, but I know I wouldn't like it much now. I pretty much had free rein on what and when to teach things in my subjects and computers were just barely making an entrance into schools. Now everything is so tied to computers and every curriculum in the state is coordinated. Testing is everything, creativity seems discouraged. And I don't think the kids are doing better, sadly.

This is going to be an intense week. Hay weather is coming, we are gearing up to mow, and Donnie has a very full schedule at work with a ton of foreign visitors arriving. I may have to learn to drive that tractor! affraid

Did I tell you folks that The Dissertation is nearly done?? Donnie may finally graduate this December!! :dance: (Hope springs eternal!)
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2016 12:19 pm

After walking the dogs and Taking a stroller ride harper crawled on the couch with poppop and took an early nap, so did poppop... tongue Sleep both r zonked. Tis quiet..looks like rain is coming.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 am

Not much happening here in PA. We dug up potatoes and carrots out of the garden. Due to the lack of rain during their growing season they are small but tasty. Most everything else is finished in the garden. The tomatoes are small too, at least the end rot has stopped and we are getting tomatoes to eat. Not canning any this year.

The new truck has not left the garage since we brought her home. LOL Just like his mother, George saves things for some weird reason. Once she saved a really nice purse I bought her at Macy's. She never got to use the purse before she passed. I don't get it..

I could never be a teacher in today's world of so called education. I'll never understand the common core math they are trying to teach.

Supposedly the township is going to chip and tar our road today. The new truck will never be allowed outta the garage until the snow falls now. LOL LOL My poor old Cougar will be facing the nasty road the next week or so. She tough she can take it.

Have a great week everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Trudy, I sure feel for you on the chip and tar, or chip and seal as it's called around here. They just did the main road into town about 2 weeks ago, and today they are redoing it. Hate that stuff. I'll be taking the 'back way' into town for about a week until the new stone gets packed down again.

We are having some really nice weather for a few days. Love it.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Ark, how is the hay making going?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2016   August 2016 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2016
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next