Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:49 pm

I'm guessing the odds of finding the thing again are rather slim. It's going to be colder at night from here on out, so it doesn't stand much of a chance.
I don't know what the cats would do with it if they found it. It's quite a bit bigger than most of their prey, so they might tiptoe away and pretend they didn't see it.

Ark, do you have enough hay from your own field to make it through the winter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:15 am

ELLEN: You never what cats are liable to do. Did you see on Animal Planet that cat that attacks the gator and chases it into the water? Unbelievable. One of my old tom cats beat the crap out of my neighbors Dobbie and the neighbor had the guts to come to my house and whine about my cat beating up her dog. I had to laugh hysterically in her face. Just couldn't stop myself, as Spike sat on the swing and I swear that old cat was laughing too.

CB: I totally get it. When I got tossed and hit my back on the fence post and was almost run over by that crazy horse I had, the fear of getting on a horse was very overwheleming. I didn't ride for a long time. My first ride on a dead broke old horse that my friend brought over was so traumatic, I was shaking and crying, I about scare the horse, he kept looking at me as if to say "quit talking about it, alright already just get up there and let's go." Once you get the fear it's tough to get past it. After that first ride I was fine and rode without fear for years.

We are off to the VA Clinic this morning so gotta get busy around here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:43 am

On sunday, we r hauling the horses to the farrier and he will do a tune up type ride.....if daisy is good, behaves then I will ride her, if not then I'm going to think seriously Ty o look for something older, REALLY broke to death, or just stop riding. Bo is ask going to put a ride on rocky too, for hubby, make sure he is going to do fine as it has been a year off. They may just.be an expense for us we don't need, but have had them so long seems they are part of.our lifestyle.....I think this set I'll help us make up our minds. that pony, not a mini, was.really trained to the max...horse prices are up as they were selling registered from 3700 up to over 5000. Sold a nice mule for 7000. This is.a Lil rink dink country auction. We didn't stay to see nonregistered, too stinking humid, ugh we felt drained after few hours. No ac...just dinky fans. I lost 2 posts yesterday...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:18 am

ELLEN
I hope someone finds the lizard.

CB
I wonder if horse prices are going up? Those sound like pretty good prices at an auction, for the sellers. It would be nice to think prices have gone beyond what meat buyers would pay. At least the registered horses would be beyond the slaughter prices...
I had to do some serious work to get Ivan registered. Luckily things worked out and I was able to find his parents' original owner who had moved to Florida after getting married, changing her name, then moving to NC. It was lucky I found her, then lucky the Arabian breed association was having a special on registering geldings over 2 years old. I wanted Ivan registered to give him a better chance in life if something dire happened and he ended up on the market.

That chance at a better life if something happened to me is also why all my horses are at least minimally trained. Untrained, unregistered horses don't stand much of a chance for a long life. Ivan was sure headed down a bad path before I got him. An untrained, unregistered, wild and fearful Arabian stallion has very little chance around here to live very long. I am glad I took him on, he can be a handful, but I really have enjoyed our progress together.

TRUDY
That is funny about your cat beating up that poor little dog ROFL . I watched my first cat ever, Boots, ride a big hound dog across the yard when it got too close to her kittens. She scared that dog into a run for its life! She looked like a jockey on a big horse... Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:55 am

The mystery has been solved.  A neighbor had talked to a gal from another street, who was out looking for her bearded dragon.  He hasn't been found yet, but at least we know how he got here.

Update a few minutes later: The bearded dragon has been found and returned home. He was only about 6 feet from where Travis saw him last night. I guess the cold evening slowed him down. Everybody is happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:23 pm

ELLEN
Hurray! I am glad the sneaky little escape artist lizard was found! wavy I don't know how big bearded dragons get, but they are sure cute as babies. The iguana my step-mother had was over 4 feet long.

Oh, we have about half the hay we'll need until first cutting next year. We are cleaning out the shed attached to the garage to store another 300 bales, but will probably need at least 100 more on reserve. We really do need a hay building. I hope to get it all from a local farmer soon.

Gotta go give Areion a bath. Not my favorite activity, I always end up wetter than the horse. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:41 pm

My mare just loves a bath, rocky not so much, got to tie him. Daisy stands without halter or tying and makes faces like ahhhh feels do good.....rocky sees a hose and if he isn't tied it's see ya tomorrow maybe. Lol
Power of hums, folks from CA r going to look at house tomorrow....keep fingers crossed. It.would be nice.
Ellen, glad the lizard has been found!

Later taters....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:06 pm

What I know about bearded dragons would fit on the POINT of a pin with room left over. My very uneducated guess is that this one is a young adult. He is about 12 or 13 inches long. Lizards of any kind are not my idea of a great pet, but this lady was sooooo happy to have found him, and I was happy for her.

CB, I hope these people are the ONES. That would be a huge relief for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 pm

CB
Fingers crossed that the people want your house!! cheers

Got Areion clean.... hopefully she will stay that way. I suspect there will be some spots to clean in the morning. Areion is easy to bathe, she likes getting wet. She wiggled a bit, but didn't try to run off even though she wasn't tied. Ivan hates baths and you can just see him gritting his teeth and wishing it was over. The rest of our horses are pretty good about getting baths, but Cactus Jack thinks that death comes out of the hose and has never had a bath in his life. He is the first back in the barn if it starts raining.

Donnie baled up the dregs of hay in the barnlot this afternoon. It is weedy and not worth feeding, but needed to be removed from the field. 20 bales we have to get rid of.... We may cover it and see if the deer will eat it this winter. We have 5 or 6 deer in our fields all year long.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 am

Ark, did you have fun at the show yesterday?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:05 am

I remember......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Going to get rides on the horses, see how they do...will let yas know.....
Ark, want to hear about the show.....

How's everyone else doing today.
Went out for Mexican for hubby's birthday yesterday. Gosh, jes gettin, old!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:23 pm

We did pretty well! Areion really was in the groove! I did a couple of halter classes with her and got a 4th place ribbon, mainly because I didn't have a clue how to do it. Areion was great. Then Lori braided Areion's mane and entered three English pleasure type classes and got a third and a FIRST!! Areion came home with her first trophy.... sunny It was blazing hot, about 90 degrees, but was still a lot of fun. I couldn't wait to get out of that black jacket. Areion behaved all day and acted like she has done this much more than she has. She had two minor spooks, one when a little kid ran right at her with a flapping ribbon, the second in the class she won when the person giving the ribbon and trophy came at her. We are going to have to work on despooking her to ribbons, apparently. It has never been an issue before Laughing . We were really happy with Areion's behavior and performance. She still is nervous, but working on it hard.

The only bad note for the day was when we arrived back home. Areion slipped on the ramp of our 'new' trailer and cut her left front fetlock. She isn't going to be doing much for a few days until that heals up. We have been hosing it and putting on antibiotics. That ramp is going to get a makeover with some covering that has more friction.

All in all, though, we had a very good day! cheers

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Way to go, Ark! Shows like that are fun to do. Maybe there will be one or two more of those small shows during the fall.
Go find a 4-H kid to show you how to do showmanship for halter classes. Those kids are good at it. To be honest, a conformation class shouldn't have anything to do with showmanship, but it does.
Do you have any close-ups of the braid job? I'm trying to figure out how she did it with such a long mane, and to do it so quickly. Back when I was braiding, it was usually a two hour job that required getting up REALLY early (which I did not like) to get it done. Somewhere around 30 itty bitty little braids with a mane that was only about 3 inches long. Soak with water, divide the hair, braid, sew, repeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Congratulations ARK, LORI and AERION! I too would like to see more of the braid. My memories of braiding is pretty much the same as ELLEN's. Is it a running French Braid kind of like what they do to braid a draft mane?

I would like to ask the FOOPs to circle up and add my horse Monster to their prayers. I've seen the power of our prayer circles and could use all the help I can get. Monster has injured his eye. I have no idea how. The vet seems to think he may have gotten a little piece of debris in it and it didn't wash out with tears. Then Monster may have rubbed it making it worse. All I know is one night his eye was a little watery, the next morning it was still watering and had a very tiny amount of matter in the corner. That evening when I went out to feed it was horrible. Think Zombie eyeball. I immediately called the vet. We are trying to save the eyeball even though he will be blind in it. He is not a good patient. First two days treatment was one ointment in his eye every 4 hours and another twice a day with his eyelid sutured shut. A third ointment on the sutures twice a day as well as oral banamine twice a day. After two days there was no getting close to him.

I called the vet back out and we now have a what I call a glorified IV sewn into his eye and the tube runs up over his ear and is attached to his halter and I flush two different meds alternating the meds every three hours. He still is not the best patient but it's a little easier than the ointment. These treatments every three hours are rough. He has been on this routine for 2 days now. The last three treatments I have finally been able to get a good flush so it's looking a little more promising. I don't know what the next option is if he gets to the point again of not letting me treat him. He is very big, a true 17 hands, and strong. On top of all this he does not tie, which is another long story. So my prayers are twofold, one that he continues to be somewhat accepting of the treatments and two that the treatments work. I'll try and keep you posted on his progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:51 pm

INDYAPP:
 Wow, I am really sorry this has happened to Monster.  I will be hoping and praying for his complete recovery.  hug   I had to put medicine in Zippy's eye for awhile a few years ago.  Zippy is 37 inches tall and the only thing he will not put up with is having things put into his eyes.  He would fight like mad.  He had a scratch on his cornea, but thankfully, it finally healed mostly on its own.  

ELLEN and INDYAPP:
 The braid that Lori does on Areion is a running braid.  I have posted two pix, but I am not sure they really show it well.  There are only rubberbands in the very end of her forelock and bottom of the mane where it ends.  Lori is getting faster and better at doing Areion's braid, of course, it helped that I didn't put ShowSheen on it this time when I washed Areion Laughing .  That made it slick and wouldn't hold.  Live and learn.....

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 am

Indy, I'm so sorry about Monster's eye. I do pray that it will get better.

Ark, I've seen braids similar to that on Arabs, most hanging lower than Areion's. I just hadn't seen it done to rest up on the crest. She did a nice neat job on it.
And, yes. Show Sheen is a bad idea for braiding. Just try braiding a tail that has Show Sheen on it. Not gonna happen.
Thanks for the pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:21 pm

No go on the house....maybe next time.

Rocky did so good with the riding yesterday, he was a bone head when it came to his.shoes, but he is wearing a pretty new set.
Daisy did excellent as long as she wore a drink snaffle. As soon as we tried a tom thumb, she lifted her head and became flighty. Took it out, put dring in, she lowered her head, relaxed, and was a perfect lady. When we go to idaho in the spring, I'll get her in that great dental clinic for horses and get her all checked out. Until then it's a dring. I've been to two tack stores, they don't have one....of course the ones I have are already in texas...pffftttttt
Ibdy, I hope your babies eye heals better than you think, I'll hum for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Hey, Trudy. Max is back.
It's a rather interesting cast this time. Wide variety of people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:38 am

ELLEN: I know I'm excited...Maks is back, sexy as ever Drool and my Steelers kicked butt last night. What a Monday. ClappingHands

ARK: Congrats on the show. Great photos too.

CB: Sorry the house didn't sell.

On Sunday our church had the most moving 911 service. I swear no one in a service of over 700 people, not a person was breathing. It was the quietest that congregation has ever been, not a cough, sneeze or whisper, total silence. What a moving experience. We will never forget... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 pm

CB
The buyer is bound to show up soon!

INDYAPP
How is Monster doing?

I had the vet out yesterday to look at Areion's cut on her fetlock. Her leg had swelled some by Sunday, but looked a little better by the time the vet got here on Monday. She gave her a tetanus shot and wrapped the leg after cleaning it out. We removed the wrap this evening and the swelling had gone down completely and the cut seems to be closed up. We have to hose it for a few days, but I think she will be fine. Areion chipped a tooth when she fell, too. We are going to fix that ramp so it won't happen again.

I rode Ivan yesterday and he acted like an old cowpony ROFL . We jogged along and did the patterns Lori had set for us. The horse was incredibly mellow and never took a wrong step. Who swapped Ivan for this horse?? Laughing If we can fix our ramp, I might take the new and improved Ivan on a trail ride Saturday.

We walked Areion thru obstacles instead of riding her yesterday. She should be back to work by next week.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm glad to hear that Areion is healing well. What kind of mat is on the ramp that would allow her to slip that badly? Like you, I'd be fixing that right now.

Indy, how is Monster doing?

I keep thinking that each day will be my last swimming day, and then I go one more time. This evening, all the neighbors went for pizza. When we got home, my neighbor and I went swimming again. It wasn't exactly warm, but we stayed in for about 45 minutes before deciding that it was dark enough and time to go in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 am

I dislike ramps and some floor mats can be slippery too. When we did our first long haul we ended up throwing the mats away, the wood floor drained better and didn't get as slippery.
Hubby rode on his mower most of the day trying to keep up with the grass, and more rain in the forecast.
We went out to eat on his birthday Saturday so tonight I made chicken, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, green beans....yummy....
I think I found a pony for Harper, going Thursday to check.her out....a little 35 inch pinto colored mare.
Sweet dreams .....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:50 am

Good Morning Friends,

Thank you for all the good thoughts and prayers. Monster's eye is definitely improving. We still have a very long way to go but so far so good. Dr. B was out on Monday and was happy with his progress. However, we are not out of the woods yet. While the bacterial infection appears to be clearing up, I was warned that long term antibiotic treatment sometimes morphs or opens the door to a fungal infection which is even worse. So of course now I am paranoid this will happen. Monster tries so hard to be good for his treatments. He is to the point that at least now he keeps his feet planted in one place. He still tosses his head like mad, but at least I am not trying to keep from getting stepped on as I try to put the needle into the catheter that is by his eye. On a somewhat funny note, although funny really isn't the right word, during one treatment while I was trying to hit the moving target with the needle to inject the fluid, he threw his head and jerked me just right that somehow I managed to poke him in the ear with the needle. He of course jerked back and I lost my grip on the syringe and the poor horse had this syringe dangling from his ear. He had to shake his head a couple of times while dancing around to get it to fall off. When the treatments are done he stands quietly while I rub on him and we both relax.

ARK, the braid is beautiful. Lori does a great job and it sure beats dozens of little bump braids. I'm sorry you've had trouble with your trailer ramp. Personally I love my trailer and ramp and have never had any problems. Just goes to show it just depends on how or with what the ramp is made.

Take care all, and thank you again for your prayers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Indy, I'm glad Monster is improving. We'll keep praying for a full recovery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:29 pm

INDYAPP
I am happy to hear that Monster is getting better! cheers Putting drops in horse eyes is sure hard. Sounds like you have figured it out. BTW, how is Tiberious doing?

CB
My first trailer was a step up and Arkady hated it. She had backed out of it once and slipped one leg under the trailer. She scraped herself up and scared herself. She wouldn't back out again. I had to let her turn around to get out. So I sold it and bought our Brenderup with its ramp and she easily backed out. I guess everyone has reasons for their preferences...

ELLEN
The Hawk trailer has a wood ramp covered in aluminum on the outside and is painted with some kind of black coating on the side the horse steps on. It is slick when it gets wet. I just sent off for some stair tread material that is very abrasive. The horses shouldn't slip on it. I hope.

Areion is healing up. It only bothers her when we are trying to medicate it, but she puts up with it pretty well.

I spent the afternoon celebrating my friend, M's, birthday. She had a hip replacement two days ago and will be in the hospital for a few weeks. She was quite cheerful and seems to be doing well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2016   

Back to top Go down

September 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next