Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

November 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: November 2016   Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:48 pm

November 2016

bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Welcome to November!

Strangely, it has been near 80 degrees all week. This is a very warm fall. My horses are shaggy and get hot easily. I gave Ivan and Areion a bath yesterday, not that Ivan appreciated that much. He managed to get into cow manure on our ride on Sunday and smelled rather ripe. No

I had a very nice lesson on Ivan yesterday. I think he likes doing the patterns that Lori has us doing, he seems to like puzzles. It takes me longer to 'get' the pattern than it does Ivan. Areion did well for Lori and we are taking her to Salem, VA for the last horse show of the season this coming Saturday. She seems to have calmed down from whatever was spooking her the past few weeks. Her last two lessons have gone well.

So has everyone come out of their sugar high from yesterday yet?

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Oh gads......still have my sugar dregs.........BUT, it sure was fun.

Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:35 am

Happy November, everybody. It's been unusually warm for a few days, so we still have lots of leaves on the trees and the color is nice now. Other than some on the driveway and sidewalk, the ones that are down can just stay there until they are all down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks, Ellen, good to get settled in here. I don't think hubby kept his end of downsizing as our storage unit is almost full.....sigh.....I'm seeing another yard sale looming on our.horizons.... Rolling Eyes
Ark, hope you have a fun time at the show.
Graymare, I don't think you need anymore fun for awhile.
Trudy, those trunk or treats are.popping up everywhere.
Indy, need updates.....
Beech, where for art thou...
Nancylee...moving, I'll never get it down to a science...I swear. By now ya would thunk I did, huh.
I think sunny is having her surgery soon, the 14th....I thought maybe if everyone is up to it send cards now while she can still go get her mail. All the mail is at the clubhouse and she.has to drive to it.
I'm hoping it goes well for her.

Well been a long day.....imapooped.
Sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, #$^%^&^&*$@#$! The World Series game just started and a big rain storm has started that interferes with my satellite reception!
I'm not really a big Cubs fan, but everybody else around here is, because Chicago is fairly close. I would like to see a team that hasn't won in 108 years get it this time. Of course, Cleveland has had a long dry spell too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Oh boy. I'm a wreck. Cubs are ahead 5-1, bottom of the 5th.
Hang on!!! Hope they hold on to their lead but it aint over til the fat lady sings................

CB, what sure is Sunny having? I can't remember all.........neck surg. Praying for her success..............we need snail mail addy.

ELLEN, hope your storm has passed and you can see the game, it's a good one for sure.........

Prayers for ALL..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:10 am

The rain finally went past and the TV is working well. At this point, it's the end of the 9th, rain delay before the 10th, and the game is tied. I'm really really sleepy so they might have to finish this one without me. I have no doubt I'll learn the results in the morning.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:26 am

What a celebration...............YAY CUBBIES. Gads great game. Both teams must be dead tired.......10 innings and rain. Boy, I love games like that.........excellence at it's best. More excitement than is tolerable for any length of time.........LOL

Ha, my computer died and I had no clue..........I sent the dog out, came back, and it was dead..............I was too busy watching the game.

Now, I am anxiously awaiting California Chrome to win the
Breeders Cup Saturday.........Big sports week, for sure.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 am

I had turned off the computer and was going to head for bed, but sat down for just a few more minutes - just about the time the Cubs scored another run. Needless to say, I watched to the exciting end. I texted my neighbor who is a Chicago cop. He sent back a short video of the start of the celebration.
Chicago is going to be NUTS for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 pm

It is now 12:30, and I and my gallbladder have permanently parted company. After a weekend of not feeling well, a trip to the doctor on Monday, and surgery this morning, I have started the healing process. My recliner and I are going to be good friends for a few days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:28 pm

ELLEN
Wow! That a quick trip! I hope you are feeling much better now. Naps are good...Sleep ... Has your diet been restricted? Can you still eat that pizza from the hotel that is so tasty? I hope you can.....Anyway, get well soon!! hug

I just finished helping my hay guy unload 50 bales of hay into the barn. He has another 50 reserved for me before we start using what we have stored in the barn loft and garage shed. I am tired, I finished cleaning the barn after helping with the hay. I could use a nap.... Sleep ....But I have to give Areion a bath for her horse show tomorrow and gather up everything we'll need and load it into the trailer.

Did I mention I got tossed off Ivan during our ride last Sunday? I didn't land on my feet, but landed in a strange position, sort of a squat. I didn't get hurt or even very dirty. Ivan freaked when a strange horse, who looked just like Kazi, came galloping suddenly at us out in the middle of a cow pasture. My two riding companions kept yelling at the girl riding to stop, I was busy controlling Spinning Ivan. With all the excitement, Ivan left the jeep trail and landed 3 feet into a bog. We were at the bottom between two steep hills. He lurched to get out of the muck that was up to his knees, had one foot on the dry trail, and he tilted sideways. The saddle slipped around onto his side and off I went. Luckily I landed on the road, not in the mucky bog. The girl went another direction, Ivan calmed down, and was a humble horse the rest of the ride. I think he may have thought I grabbed him by three legs when he started his bolt. Other than both of us smelling like cow manure, we were okay. Life with Ivan. Rolling Eyes . He made up for it a little while later when we had to pass within a few feet of some cows and calves and didn't blink. Then Ivan and one of the other horses got their feet tangled in a electric fence wire laying in the grass, luckily with no power on it. Ivan stood calmly while I untangled two of his feet. I had to let go of his reins to get his hind foot and he stood rock still. I won't be riding in that area again! Pandapas Pond Park was having mountain bike races, so we went riding behind my friend's property. Bad choice.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:36 pm

I can't say that I feel much better, YET. However, Vicodin is good stuff. The surgeon said that this was an acute gall bladder that happened quickly. As for food, I can eat whatever I want that doesn't cause a problem. For now, non-fat and non-spicy foods will be best. As time goes on, I can add in the things I really like.

I'm glad you weren't hurt when Ivan took a flying leap. All that desensitizing with his feet when you started him really paid off.
I had a situation like that a long long time ago when I was fox hunting. My horse stepped into hidden hog fence that was lying on the ground under some tall grass. I was able to step on the wire, and lead him out. He was a very good boy and just stood there waiting for me to help him out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:19 am

ELLEN, glad you're feeling good & will be back to normal soon.

Eli is in the trailer eating........... load him every day and leave him in there. LOL, he loves it. cheers cheers cheers I don't even know where I'm going, I just know I'm going. For a horse, there's a lot of standing around in life. Anyhow, I'll go back out when I finish my coffee............I think so far his favorite place is the grocery. They sell carrots there. Shocked

No other news here. Our temps are great right now so time to get things done w horses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Well darn! Chrome just couldn't quite finish it off. It was a good safe race though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Fun race to watch. I was sorry for CA CHROME but glad for our AZ boy Bobby Baffert. Victor is a great rider and it just wasn't his day. That Arrow is one fast horse. We already knew CHROME is fast. Interesting, I was not aware CHROME is the biggest winning money horse in North America. Anyhow, next spring Derby time is not far off. New horses, new game, new hype for hats............. Shocked

I am going to Wally to get a lawnmower battery.

Later gators.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Hmmmmm. Nobody's home I guess. Empty nest here on the board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Won't let me post
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Aha.....now I can I guess, but have been having probs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:43 pm

I am home and I can post, but I won't bore you with stories of my operation, like many geezers do. Doing fine.
It's a gorgeous fall day that I have spent watching football, the D.C. International Horse Show jumping, football again, and NASCAR if they get the track dried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Hello, FOOPS!
Been here, enjoying you all, but not pulling my weight once again.
I do have an excuse for a couple of recent weeks, though. I got bit by that virus or malware when there was that national hacking, with the result that I couldn't get onto the Internet without being met by that full-page message telling me that I needed to call X-number or Microsoft would disable me. And it was especially maddening  because it came with a voice, too, repeating the same thing, over and over and over and over again. At first, it wouldn't let me get onto the Internet anywhere, then it blocked only Foopdom. Then, for a little while (just a few hours) that freed up, too, so I thought I was home free -- especially since, in that time, I read some of you saying that the virus went away on its own. Wrong for me! So two long trips to my computer guru, and I'm back in business. He said that the virus (worm?) would eventually worm its way into other sites, too, had I not been debugged. I hope others aren't having that problem, and that perhaps this will help if they are.

Such a lot to catch up on!

ELLEN - That's a shock, to cast off a gallbladder just like that!  And it's OK to tell all. Geezers want to know!
CB - I can NEVER keep up with you!  What a time you've been through. I surely hope that you're settling in, at last, to some quiet time.
RICK - I loved that geezer maze!
TRUDY - I'm always in awe of your gardening -- and this year I'm hugely envious. Our drought killed mine, completely - worst failure I've ever known. I watered some, early on, but stopped because I was afraid I'd lose my well. We've had some good rains lately, though, so things are on the mend. But I will never catch up with you!
ARK - Horseless now, I live vicariously through ALL your horse tales, from those about stacking hay to those about being dumped, and about wire 'round the legs. Ah, yes, I say, I well remember.. . People ask me if I miss my horse, and I say yes, of course, but also that I miss all the rest of it, from fixing fence on a frosty morning, to that hay stacking and the mucking out and the smell of tack and... But, now that I'm thinking, I also remember clinging to the side of my house to keep from being blown away while struggling out to the barn in a blizzard.  Sigh....

Speaking of blizzards, one task that's kept me off the streets lately has been getting two cords of wood into the wood shed and stacked.  More later...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:18 am

Uggggggg! My second least favorite day of the year, when the time changes in the Fall. It was pitch dark by 6pm. There is not enough daylight to get everything done.... I finished my barn chores in the dark. I did get a nifty new flashlight at Tractor Supply that works nicely.

We took Areion to the horse show in Salem, VA yesterday. What a long day! Areion wasn't as nervous as in her previous shows, but did spook twice. The first time she and Lori were hand walking in the practice arena when a cute little girl came running up behind them and leaped over the jump they were passing. No pony, just the little girl. Areion is not used to cute little girls leaping small jumps in a single bound. She danced in a circle around Lori. The second spook happened right in front of the judge in a class when a different cute little girl and her equally cute pony cut the corner of the arena and Areion thought they were dive bombing her. Had I been riding that spook, I wouldn't have been riding it long. No ribbon in that class.... Rolling Eyes ... The place was crawling with kids and ponies, it turned out to be a year end show and every Pony Clubber and 4-H kid in the region was trying to get points. Then there were the regular adult riders, too. They kept having to split classes because they were so big. Lots of competition. It was after dark before they got to Areion's last class, and then she spooked. Oh, well.

It was a good experience, despite the long hours and gazillion cute little girls. Areion wasn't sweaty in her trailer rides like before and was patient all day waiting around. She got a couple of ribbons, one blue, and enjoyed all the snacks all day. Other than stepping on my toe, she was wonderful. Very Happy

ELLEN
You can give us geezer health reports! We are nosy people! Laughing

GRAYMARE
One of my cousins has moved to Tucson last year and wants us to visit. I went there once in high school, but Donnie has never been there, so we may visit him some time. He moved there from Maui. I would have had to think hard on that move. His wife is Hawaiian.

BEECH
Winter is the worst time to take care of horses, although ours are probably a breeze compared to yours. You should consider a mini horse, I am sure there are older ones out there that could use a retirement home. I would need some kind of horse fix.... ;-)

We had our first really hard frost last night, and another will happen tonight. We had a couple of light frosts earlier, but the tougher plants didn't wilt until last night. Cold......

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 am

Saturday we pulled a float for air force sets for veterans day parade. Harold was in her car seat watching.all the oeople watching the parade. Nice day.
We r sliwly.getting moved into our camper, seems everything has taken its turn not working, and ran out of gas on sat....then gave had lots of heavy rain, stalls r muddy, yard is muddy....ugh.
Ellen, you will feel better in no time.
Beech, I don't have a horse right now, just hubby, so I still get a horsey fix....I'm debating as to getting another one, but I feel lost...I've had one for so many years.
Ark, you need Lil cute girls around so they can play with arieon..desensitize her...lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:59 am

Saturday was the Bloomsburg Veterans Day parade. We had a great day, the weather cooperated, the sun was shining and NO rain. The firehall had a lunch for us after the parade and a speaker from WWII, he read "I am a Veteran" It was quite moving and he had a hard time getting thru it, it brought tears to everyone's eyes.

I too live vicariously thru the horse owners on here. I miss my horses but know that the care they need is not anything we are able to do at this stage in our lives. I have accepted that hard fact of life.

Yesterday was the 19th anniversary of losing my best horse Maxx, a date I shall never forget. It's hard to believe he has been gone that many years. It's also the day I fell and broke my ankle in 2009. Not a good day for this old girl.

BEECH: Our garden was not so hot this year either, it was just too dry and even though we collect rain water for the garden and house plants we were also worried about running out of water. The veggies needed lots of rain falling from the sky. We did get a little in the freezer but not as much as we normally do. We still have tomatoes on the enclosed patio and they are ripening slowly.

ARK: Ace is like that around little kids too. The grandkids were all grown up by the time he came here to live and when people visit with small kids he hides behind George. He is not used to all that activity buzzing around him. He's a old peoples doggie. LOL

This week we are getting ready for the Veterans Day celebration at church. It's going to be spectacular. Our Purple Heart Chapter is awarding a missionary nurse with a plaque for her service in Viet Nam. She served along with her brother in Nam and the church is giving out bricks to 3 living Vets and of course the one to a Gold Star Mother for her son. One of the choir members is going to march in wearing his uniform (yes he still fits in it) singing God Bless America. That guy can really sing, I can hardly wait for Sunday to arrive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:54 am

We went out just as the polls opened and voted.  We are in a podunk district and usually walk straight in, but there was a few folks already in line.  After voting and attaching our 'I Voted' stickers to our jackets, we went out for a calorie-free Election Day breakfast of  biscuits & gravy with steak and egg at Hardees.  

Now let the healing of our nation begin......

Ivan and I had a fun lesson yesterday!  One thing we worked on while doing arena patterns was backing with Ivan's head lowered a little.  He is starting to get it! cheers   Then when Lori had us side passing across a ground pole, something Ivan already knows how to do, all he could think about was backing with his head down, so kept trying to do that Laughing .  Once he figures something out, that's what he wants to do for awhile.  We finally got the sidepass done, but it took a few tries.  Lori wants me to change Ivan back to a snaffle bit and start working on dressage with him.  She thinks he will be ready for beginner classes by spring.  

Areion was very good for Lori.  She has finally started getting her canter leads correct almost every time.   Her attitude has been very good lately. sunny

28° here this morning at dawn.......brrrrrrr

Last edited by Ark on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   

Back to top Go down

November 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next