Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2016

Go down 
+5
Rose
Beech
Graymare
NancyLee
Rick Angell
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

November 2016 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 6:20 pm

GM, no the horses will stay in idaho while we tour alaska. We had horses.while we lived there so did some riding for a few years there. But they will go cross country with us this time. Who knows about the next journey. I have found a mare I like, but am still looking.

I like the pine shavings, not the cedar tho.

Dawn told me the dr. Didn't want her doing anything until her checkup. I thought they would have her walking at least, but she said her legs r too weak. ?.
I don't know, cept anytime I had surgery they never let me alone, it was up and move....move some more. I always had to be walking so far before I was discharged, so I'm worried as to what is happening. Hope all goes well.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 7:51 pm

I just sent ARK a pic of the grindings.......I made it funny so hope she gets it up. The truck dumped the grindings so it looks like a bed................really funny.

CB, I sure don't know. I'm sure he doesn't want her seriously walking, but standing up would seem a good thing for a minute or two at a time..............hope all this goes O K. She needs to do what her surgeon says.

Done for the day and now hungry.....headed for some leftovers.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Fish and baked potato for supper with neighbors at a restaurant not far from here.  It was good!  
Other neighbors are taking me out tomorrow night.  Smile  
I could get used to this.

The end of our good weather has come. It was 70 degrees today. Just as we came out of the restaurant, the rain started. It meant business. Raining too hard to see the road for a few minutes so he pulled in under a bank drive-thru until it let up. Thunder, lightning, and rain. The high tomorrow is supposed to be about 34.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Ellen, brrrrr. Got our cable hooked up today, but my remote works on hubby's tv too so I change his channels....thought with cold weather coming, we could use some indoor stuff to do, like be couch potatos. Wink

GM, I'm thinking this may be why she doesn't heal good in the past, no pt or instructions to help. Darn insurance. So she sits alot and doesn't get better, but worse. I know she needs to listen to her dr, but it just seems they throw ya to the wolves, sink or swim get better or not. What do they care. I don't know.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 10:29 pm

GRAYMARE
The photo hasn't arrived yet (8p.m. EST), but I will post it when it shows up. Arkazivan@gmail.com
I haven't heard of grindings, should be interesting. Very Happy

I would love to ride out west, I bet there are some beautiful trails out there. Hauling that far doesn't seem like something we will ever do, especially since Donnie doesn't ride. 5 or 6 hours is probably as far as we will ever go, although I would love to go to Florida for a few weeks in the winter to ride sometime. That's about 12 hours from here.

CB
What was Sunny operated on? I thought it was her neck. Was it her hip? My friend just had a hip replacement and they had her moving within a couple of days, then she stayed in rehab for a month.

ELLEN
Your weather is coming here tomorrow. It was so nice today. Sunny, mid-70s with only a little breeze. Ivan and Areion were very mellow and fun to ride. I rode Areion after Lori did. This was the first time I had ridden her since I got tossed from her and landed on my feet. She was very good. I did a lot of trotting on her, soooo smooth. I can sit her trot comfortably, but did mostly posting. We did lots of curves and circles. I have to figure her cues out.

Ivan was really sweet. We used his hackamore for half the lesson, then switched him to a snaffle bit. We were both a little confused for awhile, it has been a long time since we've used the snaffle. We got better after a few minutes, though. Lori wants me to ride him in a beginner dressage class next summer and the rules require a bit.

We are taking Areion and Ivan to Pandapas Pond Park next Friday. While everyone else is out shopping on Black Friday, we will be in the woods.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 12:41 am

ARK, I sent the photo again.........The way the driver pushed the load back to the barn, it looks like a bed............really funny to me.
It will be there for you tomorrow when you check in.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 12:48 am

CB, when it's time, simple exercises for SUNNY are PT for her........you know, flap her arms, swing her legs, walk, etc.
Tell her to ask her doc for a list of simple easy exercises.......
common sense stuff. But even if she was/is in a program, if she won't do it she will stiffen up..........she has to try. Just ask her doctor first.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 1:18 am

I'm pretty sure it was on her back. I thought she was going to have hip done, but I guess.dr. thought the back was causing probs with the hip...this is like her 3rd or 4th back surgery. Ouch.
GM, your advice is good, I'll pass it along. And you are right have to move, even baby steps.
Ok Ellen, I won't make it til midnight, so an early happy birthday to you! Nice neighbors, have fun.
Watching Harper tomorrow, and making joey chili...his request for his congratulatory dinner for scoring so good in his.nco academy...and cornbread.
Sweet dreams and stay warm.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 8:20 am

Last Sunday our furnace fan blew apart, all the blades broke off and it was making a horrific noise. Yikes...Thursday the new fan finally showed up and the furnace is FIXED. HOORAYYYYYYYY Just in time for cold weather and snow this weekend. All in all it was a good week, the furnace, my mammograms were both normal and my dentist is taking classes on the stupid stuff I have going on with my teeth. She was telling me that redheads are special people in their DNA, and the pain issues. NO KIDDING...I've been telling them that for years, can't take pain in my mouth and that's were it always seems to go. Actually I'm not good with pain anywhere in my body. She is ordering a spit test and then send it away for a bacteria DNA test to find out what kind of bacteria is causing those sores in my mouth.

My dentist wanted me to get a Sonic electric toothbrush so yesterday we drove up to Sam's club and got a twin pack so we both have one. She says that might help with my teeth too. At this point I'll try about anything. She gave me this special gel to put on my gums a couple times a day too. I'm glad she is taking those classes and don't mind bring the Guinea pig.

Plus George has decided we are going to put those A/C units on the walls instead of using those window units. I've been after him for a few years to take a look at them instead of lugging those heavy A/C units around. We had those at the Post Office and they work really well.

That's been my crazy week.

ARK: We used bagged pine shavings here in PA. Used to buy them for $3.25 for a huge bag. They worked really well.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 9:57 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLEN. Hope your day is great! Eat some fudge!!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you, Graymare.
I don't have any fudge, but I keep chocolate chips on hand for emergencies.

It's snowing this morning. The ground and air are too warm for it to stick, but winter has arrived. There are three die-hard fishermen out in a boat, fishing in the snow.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 6:16 pm

:dance:   Happy Birthday, ELLEN!!!   :dance:

Hope your neighbors are throwing you a BBQ or pizza party!  Or chocolate fest, or pie or some kind of goodie.... Drool   No calorie day!

Here is the photo of GRAYMARE's grindings:

November 2016 - Page 4 Yw3I3X

Are those ground up trees or what?  I don't think we have that around here. Looks comfy and soft!  

TRUDY:
 Wow.  I hope the DNA test shows up something good for you.  Mouth pains are terrible.  I didn't know you were a natural redhead, I thought your color came from a bottle Laughing .  Congrats on getting furnace fixed!  Our heatpump continues to sit in a box.  Luckily we have a woodstove and firewood enough for the winter.  I don't think that heatpump will get installed until that dissertation is done....which will be SOON!!! cheers

The wind has arrived.  It is occasionally spitting snow, not much.  The temps are dropping and it is COLD.  I miss yesterday...... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm red too, know the pain thing well. I also get mouth and lip sores and noooooo, not herpes....it hurts.
My red comes from a bottle now, still have dB o me natural, but a lot of grey if I don't color.

Hope.you had a happy day, I jumped the gun last night, was trying to stay up til midnight, but couldn't do it, so wished u an early bday.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 9:16 pm

It has been a nice day. We went to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner. Shrimp and new potatoes. They also brought me a sinfully chocolate ice cream cake, smothered in whipped cream. That went around the table for all of us to share.
It snowed most of the day, but nothing stuck. It's just cold now.

The grindings do look like a bed. A nice soft one. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Happy Birthday, ELLEN!
Bring on the chocolate!
I laughed when I read that you keep chocolate chips around for emergencies. I do, too -- pour them right out into a dish and spoon them in. I always hope that nobody's seeing me do that. More frequently I buy chocolate-covered Grahams at my local Dollar Tree. (Only a buck for a whole package). They don't last long..
Great that your recovery is going well. Good advice: don't do too much too soon.

CB: Tell Sunny that there's another person here sending her hugs. And some to you, too. You've had a rough time but your latest news sounds a little better.

ARK I think of you when the TV news shows those fires.
On horse bedding: here, most of us used bagged shavings, packed in brown paper into big, awkward rectangular bales. No handles and impossible to get your arms (mine, anyway) around them. Four of them would fit upright across the back seat of my then car, and last a couple of months or so. That's one of the sweet smells and textures I miss - though not the expense. Cost $5 each last time I was buying. TRUDY, is that what you paid $3.25 for?

RICK - You put a lot of thought into your post and I appreciate that. I think we could profit by your advice. These are profoundly troubling and challenging times.

On haircuts: I went for one myself this week - a marvelously warm and social event, as I've described before, where we meet in an old house that's kept like a museum, chat all together while our host cuts, then sit down for lunch. Our host/hairdresser (she's 60-ish, weighs probably 98 pounds, and pads around everywhere barefoot) had made French onion soup, and I'd made two kinds of bread. Then I drove the six miles or so miles home on a winding dirt road through thick woods. The only way that whole experience might have been improved would be if I'd gone by horseback.

Lots of warm weather here for a long time. But yesterday the temp at 8 a.m. was only 32.2 ̊, which I know WELL, because I slipped BADLY on ICE. While waiting for the dogs to come back from their morning run (I have a couple of acres in Invisible Fence) I decided to rev up the wood stove, and that, I also decided, required cleaning out the ashes. I debated a little about doing so, because it required taking the big, full, ashtray out the front door, the front door is only about 20 feet from a busy road, and I was wearing only my nightshirt -- my fuschia nightshirt with images of moose, in black, all over it. Oh, boy, was that a mistake. Outside, with an empty steel bucket in my left hand and the full tray in my right, when I hit the third of only three steps, my slippered feet shot right out from under me and I went right down onto the stairs on my back, SPLAT, with the empty bucket flying out into the ether and ashes cascading down all over me... Just bruises, the clinic said, but eeeeeeeckkkkkkkkk. Had the devil's own time putting my right sock and shoe on this morning... affraid
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 12:06 am

Oh BEECH......your fall sounds awful!!! Whew, be careful Gal. Hope you heal quickly. Part of it was funny about being in your nightgown...Ill bet the ashes are still right there. I love your haircut stories that are in combination with a luncheon. What a great idea.

Now, on to the "Ginger" gene info........there really is such a thing that affects redheads with pain reactions and sensation. They are different. Many doctors and anesthesiologists recognize it and adjust meds accordingly. I sure hope your dentist can get relief for your mouth TRUDY.

Oh, gotta go........pecan pie, kids are here......Bye for now.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 2:27 am

Beech, u be careful....I know we r independent cusses, things need to be done, but be careful. Hope you arnt too sore.

Has anyone heard from indy? Hope things r going well there?

Chili and cornbread was a hit tonight. I made dump cake using cherry pie filling, chunk pineapple, and pineapple upside down cake mix. ....sweeeeeeet....but it got devoured....I got a bite.

Good day.....and good night.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 7:44 am

We have SNOW yes SNOW. Shocked Ace was happily eating it this morning when I took him out. He loves snow. Crazy dog.

ELLEN: Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you had a great one. I love birthday celebrations. Take things slow and get back on your feet.

ARK: Yup, I'm the real redheaded deal. I have the freckles and pasty white skin that comes along with the red hair. Although now I do have color done to my hair, cause I have a gray skunk stripe that runs from my forehead back if I don't color.

CB: IF and when I find out any thing about our "special" DNA that causes so much trouble I'll pass it on to you and your girls. We always knew something was strange about us didn't we? HAHAHAHA

GRAYMARE: All my life I've been the wimpy girl, the smallest paper cut is agony for me, I've driven my family crazy over the years with my low pain tolerance. Can't take the cold well either, on my skin. Living in Maine for that year was a nightmare. 40 below for a week.affraid

BEECH: Yup, that is what we paid $3.25 for. I think they weighed about 40 pounds packed solid and they were in plastic bags from the sawmill. They worked great for stalls. I think I still a few leftover from the horses. What a great way to get your hair cut, that sounds like so much fun. OH NO NEVER go outside in your slippers in cold weather. That's how I broke my ankle, slippers and frosty grass. Praying you heal quickly.

Off to church this morning, hope I don't have a coughing fit, I seem to have picked up a stupid cold as of yesterday. UUGHHHHH runny nose, sore throat, cough all that yucky stuff this morning. I blame George, he has been hacking around all week. Mad

Have a blessed Sunday everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 am

BEECH
I am very sorry about your fall. I am glad you didn't break anything. That said, the mental image of your flying moose covered fushia night shirt with ashes snowing on it...... hysterical .... ahem....sorry. Embarassed

TRUDY
Snow. Yuck. I am glad Ace likes it, someone needs to. We didn't get any, just high winds. We actually need the snow. The leaves on the ground are so dry. With the high winds, fires are easily started and spread. One careless cigarette tossed out of a car could burn down the county.

CB
Chili sounds good! I just bought a turkey, so that's what we'll be eating for days after Thursday.

ELLEN
Good birthday celebration! I knew the neighbors would do something special! I want your neighbors. Mine are less than wonderful....(remember truck attacks). Rolling Eyes

Donnie's dissertation defense is scheduled for Jan. 23. :dance: I suspect I am happier about that than he is Laughing . His committee will grill him for two hours about it, then when they sign off on it, he is FINISHED!!!!! He has worked incredibly hard on this degree, a bucket list item. Graduation will be in May since all the Va Tech paperwork and committee scheduling didn't get done in time for December's graduation. That's okay, it will give us plenty of time to get his cap and gown. Very Happy

Got our heated water buckets installed in the barn, just in time for the cold temperature. Now if Areion will just keep her feet out of it...

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 11:15 am

Trudy, my freckles on my face have turned into age spots, brown splotches now and no freckles. Pffft. But my arms get covered in them in summer time, and I get a few popping out on the snoz.
I'd be interested in your results. My middle kid and I gave the pain intolerance more than the other two girls.

Beech, how do you feel today?

Ark, I'm with you, don't like snow, but I've seen on the news the wild fires in places we don't think of happening, poor nc, got flooded on one end, burned up on the other....they can't win.

affraid
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Beech, I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt. I don't feel so guilty about stifling a little giggle hysterical at the mental image of you in night clothes with the ash bucket flying.
I have a place on my sidewalk that put me on my belly a few years ago. I really have to watch and salt that place because it gets slick every winter. Whenever I do something dumb like that I look around real quick to see who might have seen me being clumsy. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Yes, that was pretty funny, me lying out there on my front steps in my nightshirt under ashes with the cars whizzing by. But those who know me, if they saw me, probably just thought, "Oh, that's just old odd Virginia, up to some new antic or other; probably just out early-morning skylarking with her crazy dogs." I suspect if I hadn't roused myself and crawled inside, they'd find my bones still there, under snow, come spring. Even funnier is the image of me, nude, afterward, twisting and turning with mirrors, trying to measure the extent of the black and blue, top and bottom. Not a pretty sight.( Not the black and blue. The FAT LADY!) Yuck. lol! lol!

But I'm doing pretty well. Sitting with a hot water bottle against my back (upper) right now -- but that's after getting up early to take a friend to radiation treatment for a cancer on her epiglottis, and then taking myself out to breakfast. The cancer helps put matters in perspective.,

CB: you nailed it with the label "independent cusses!" bouncy

TRUDY: I fear colds more than falls. Take care of yourself!

ARK: What can we do to celebrate Donnie's doctorate? HUGE congratulations to you both!!!!! :dance:

Still relatively warm here, which means that your snow was our rain (except in our mountains), but they say that the temps will fall some this week. Bought a 13 pound turkey just for the fun of it (it was only 47 cents per pound) because looking forward to going out with friends to a fancy restaurant on the big day. I'll have to dress up and clean the ashes out of my ears... Wink
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 6:42 pm

BEECH
They put me on warfarin after my big illness four years ago and it took me about 8 months to convince the doctors that the warfarin would probably kill me sooner than not taking it because of all my bumps and bruises I encounter around horses. The last time I went in for a checkup the doctor asked when was the last time I fell down.....The day before when I stepped in a hole the chickens dug.... Rolling Eyes ... I really hate falling down, but do it more often than I want to admit....not even counting falling off a horse periodically. This morning I was thinking about your recent fall in your moose covered fushia night shirt as I was getting ready to put on my long johns. I sat down on the lid of the toilet, missed the thing, and fell in the bathroom floor. I may have a terminal case of klutziness. affraid

BTW
If one does fall spectacularly, one should come up with a good story to tell the E.R. people. When I was teaching a million years ago, an older guy broke his leg and his story swept the county fast. Seems he climbed up on his dresser to look in the mirror at his hemorrhoids and fell off the dresser. There are no secrets in a small town. Have a good lie ready if you plan on breaking your leg in a silly manner. Very Happy

It is so cold and windy. We went to see the new J.K. Rowling movie downtown. It was fun, but not as good as the Harry Potter movies.

I don't know what we are going to do to celebrate Donnie's degree. I asked him yesterday what he'd like to do and all he could come up with was to take a nap. He doesn't actually have to go thru the cap and gown routine, but I told him he had no choice in the matter. He is probably their current oldest Ph.D candidate at 63. He started on his Master's degree in 2001. It has been a long process.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Wow, Rose!!! What did you think of the finish to the Homestead race and the season? Exciting finish. Jimmie was the most excited I've ever seen him. Carl is a really classy guy. He could have easily been super mad at Joey.

I like the idea of having a good story ready to tell when I do something stupid. Laughing
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 am

Ark, a relaxing cruise.....ahhhhhhh.

Off to get another knee injection....owie.....but it helps.

In 70s today....nice.

Went to look at a horse yesterday, 12 and 15 hands....kid broke.....I doubt if he had had more than 10 rides total on him.....dang.....he didn't buck but ge made every other movement that was a battle to ride, didn't neck rein, wouldn't back, .....grrrrrrr...horse trader and a half this ol guy was! He asked the guy who was riding him to stand up on the saddle, and the guy told him you don't pay me enuf! Lol what a fiasco.....
Good thing I think the guy was his sil so he can't fire him....lol.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Scammed have even invaded the horse world. Ran across an ad, thought this mare was good....really.good....and then after I find they want to ship mare with her passport and Coggins to me after I send the money for horse and shipping, sight unseen.....ugh....grrrrrrrrr.....told them I would hunt them down for my being so disappointed and blow their frigging balls off and if they didn't have any I would blow.their tits off! Sobs. I hate they can do this to people, they have no conscience....no morals. Grrrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2016   November 2016 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2016
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next