Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

January 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 pm

CB:
That is a good idea. i think we will try finding Donnie's next suit at a western store, but luckily, today we found some nice pants at WalMart that look good with his jacket. I just got finished hemming them, so he is ready for his defense of his dissertation tomorrow. wavy

TRUDY:
Don't be too quick to dismiss the cataract surgery! It was the best thing I ever did medically! I had cataracts in both eyes, but couldn't really tell it. When they were removed, I had corrective lenses implanted and can see well for the first time in my life. I couldn't tell how many fingers were held up at 6 feet away, now I have 20/20 vision. Truly a miracle. I do have to use reading glasses, but those can be bought anywhere for next to nothing. I do wear safety glasses or sunglasses when I go outside, mostly because I am paranoid about getting anything in my eyes at the barn. So check it out, you might really want to do the cataract surgery. It was a piece of cake, easiest thing I ever did, and I also was afraid of eye surgery before.

What a nice thing your friend did with the side of beef! You must have some big freezers!

It was 67 degrees today with sunshine....real live sunshine! sunny After what feels like weeks of clouds, the warm sunshine was wonderful. I rode both Ivan and Areion during our lessons today. Ivan, my comfy couch pony, did a very nice job. He has been so nice lately, other than pushing thru the hackamore last Saturday and wanting to trot faster. Today he was very cooperative and didn't push thru it. Lori finished up Ivan's lesson by cantering him in preparation for me to take cantering lessons on him. He did okay, but is a little stiff thru the turns. I don't mind cantering on the straight, but going around tight curves gives me the willies. I came off of Arkady at a canter many moons ago while being lunged by our trainer. Anyway, I want to fix that fear.

Areion was kind when I rode her, she didn't dump me. She is so sensitive, much more sensitive than Ivan who puts up with about anything I do. I have to learn her rein lengths and cues that she has learned from Lori. We had a good lesson today.

The temps are dropping tomorrow and won't get back up to the 60s for the foreseeable future... Snow is forecast for Sunday. Boo-hiss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 am

Rick, what were ur steps using phone, please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am

Ark, I wish Donnie the best on his dissertation this morning.

Just got back from follow-up with orthopedist. Came home with only a Velcro brace and instructions to start exercising the wrist. I can type with both hands now. What a relief!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Ellen, thats great! Yay!

Ark, i hope Donnie knows we r all in his corner today.

Well a bit of good news....saw my gastroenterologist today, he thinks my chest pain isnt heart related, but i have ulcers and an obstruction in my stomach, didnt look like a mass, but will biopsy in april.....i will have echogram tomorrow of heart, just check it out anyway. Scary pain. Painful too. We wanted to hit the road in april, but may have to wait..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Donnie says thanks for cheering him on!  Today he successfully defended his Ph.D dissertation at Virginia Tech.  His committee congratulated him, called him Dr. Coleman, and handed him a bottle of champaign.  cheers   He will go thru the graduation ceremony in May, but is officially finished with his degree today.  wavy    We went to Macados for dinner to celebrate... Very Happy

I am VERY proud of Dr. Donnie! wavy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 pm

WOOHOO! YIPPEE! YAHOO! Congratulations, Dr. Donnie! It must feel wonderful to have a successful end to a long project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Congratulations Donnie! :dance:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 am

ZIPPIDY DOO DAH DAY DONNIE!!!  WAY TO GO!!! cheers cheers cheers

ARK already had her PhD..........piled high and deeper..........it's a barn expression.  LOL  ShockedShocked

ELLEN, good news for you, too.

CB, hoping your testing goes well.

God bles.  Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:06 am

Big day for Dr. DONNIE....YAY. :dance:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 am

CONGRATS DR. DONNIE!!!! ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands wavy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Harry is in now getting stress test done, and i had most of my echogram done...one spot is too sore for them to push on.....but got most of it done.

Now have to wait for results.....

This waiting area is full up....sad as all are older....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:01 pm

One of my cousins announced that waiting rooms provide the social life for older people. That's where they meet.
I hope they can get you and Harry sorted out and feeling good again.

I can knit again! Not for very long, but some is better than nothing. I have a sweater that is close to being done. It will take me a lot longer than it should, but it's encouraging to be able to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Boy, really windy here today....about 50 & sunny.  Ha, Eli rolled big time in the mud.

There you have it...............walk horse  hysterical  No problem.  He'll be groomed up by June.

Prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 pm

GRAYMARE:
Yep, I have an advanced degree in piling it high and deep! rake ROFL Donnie thanks all of you for the yippees and hoorays! wavy He says his next project is a series of naps... Sleep He definitely needs them.

We were windy here today, but only in the 30s. It feels so cold after our 67 degree day on Wednesday. I will have to bask in the memory of that day for awhile. The mud is drying and the horses are filthy, but not wet. There are advantages to having already brown horses. Grey ones are a mess most of the time.

CB:
When will you and Harry get your new trailer? I hope your test results come out well.

ELLEN:
Congrats on your knitting abilities! My broken wrist was in a solid cast and there was no moving it. Knitting would not have happened. I did help with painting a 3rd story roof with it, though. When I went to get the cast off, I didn't know that the saw didn't actually turn like a circular saw. I was convinced they were going to cut into my poor wrist. I nearly fainted until a little boy explained how it worked, it just buzzed, didn't turn. He apparently had previous experience with casts. Rolling Eyes

Donnie got an interesting email from one of his dissertation committee. There is a convention for those in his field being held in October that he thinks Donnie should go to and present his dissertation theory. In New Zealand! I told Donnie he wouldn't get to go to that without me. I don't know if we can work out the finances or not, but we are going to look into it. I would love to go there.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:08 am

Wow! New Zealand! What a great trip that would be!

Yesterday, he took the cast/bandage off. I only have a Velcro brace that I can take off. I can't knit with it on. I didn't have the brace on for most of the day today, and the wrist is loosening up a little bit.

It got cold here today too. The high was about 30, and it's going to be the same story for the next two weeks at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:50 am

Sad sad news from our neighborhood. Our neighbor was crushed by his tractor, his wife found him and called our other neighbors for help. It was too late he was already gone, he had been out in the barn for hours and no one knows how long he was under the tractor. They had to bring in a backhoe to get the tractor off of him. So very sad for his wife and the neighbors who Fran called for help.

Took Ace to the vet yesterday, his lumps are just fatty lumps, nothing serious. WHEW..but he does have a tick borne disease. Anaplasmosis. It's treatable with antibiotics. Never heard of it before yesterday. Poor doggie, I had to give him 2 anixety pills to take him to he vet, so he wasn't speaking to us all day, he wouldn't even look at us. He gets so mad, he wouldn't even eat a treat at the vets office. I tried to give him a round pretzel and he held his teeth together and wouldn't eat it until I put it on the floor, then he checked it out thoroughly and ate it. Now that is a MAD dog. This morning he is his lovey dovey old self.

My young friend Ashley was admitted to the hospital yesterday. She is going down hill fast.

On a good note, the meat give away is going well. People are so surprised and keep offering to pay for the meat.

CB: Praying for your and Harry's test results to turn out good.

ARK: Hope you and Donnie can make that trip, it will be so exciting for both of you.

ELLEN: Taking the big cast off has to be a relief for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 am

Trudy, sorry about your neighbor, and sorry to hear your friend is slipping downhill.
Glad your puppydog has forgiven you...and good he can be treated.

We had snow last night...didnt stick...but quite chilly...it was 85 here in tuesday, wtheck happened.

Ark, i hope u can work out the trip, u can ckaim on your taxes a business expense...but id be going too, snd a big boost for Donnie in his field, too.

Ellen, just dont overdo things, let it heal good!

Graymare, last week after our rains, i had to use dynamite to get the mud balls out if rockys mane and tail...ge must have walliwed in the mud like a piggy.

Wont get results for few weeks....whole time in mo, it was hard to get any test done, so am glad docs r taking some precautions and checking us out, have a few more to do in february, and tgen endoscopy, colonoscopy in april...whewwww...and then maybe some traveling.

As soon as some minor repairs get done on our new camper, we can bring it home. Will be nice to have that slide out, one in living/kitchen area and one in bunkhose area, which will ve my domain as i sleep in a recliner, much easier on my joints and back than a bed, even tried an adjustable bed, but still didnt work out. So my recliners will go in the bunk area, removing bottom bunk and keeping the two top bunks for grands to come. It has more closet space also and is closer to the bathroom...can hardly wait....

Now if Rick could explain how to put pics on here using a smart phone, i could show yas....but otherwise can put them on facebook only or text individually.

Birthday party for GD Bailey tonight.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 pm

CB...I followed Diane's tutorial and it is simple enough ... BUT ... it does NOT appear to work with my Apple iPhone as it should. When I go back to look at my posting, all I have showing is a small strip of the posting like it was cut vertically. After "adjusting" the size, it made it worse.

Diane said my posting was ok when viewed on her computer, but not so on her kindle. Evidently iPhone is even harder to work with...I don't know if Samsung phone (or any other brand) would work better than the Apple iPhone. Sorry....

Somebody (Diane ... ??) asked if I had actually made the apple cobbler. It is done in a crock pot / slow cook and is EASY and delicious
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Well, pffffffft....evidently not simple enuf for me....dwat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Trudy, I will pray for your neighbor's family.  That must have been just horrific for her to find him like that.  
Prayers for Ashley and her family too.  

CB, I'm glad they are getting closer to finding out what is going on with you, and will be able to help you feel better.

This is completely silly.  My big accomplishment for the day was pulling the sheets off the bed, getting them in and out of the washer and dryer, and then back on the bed, mostly one-handed.  The fitted sheet is really tight and that took some doing.  The rest just took time.

This is a sillier e-mail that made me laugh.

We were dressed, and ready to go out for the New Years Eve Party. We turned on a night light, turned the answering machine on, covered our pet parakeet, and put the cat in the backyard.

We phoned the local cab company and requested a taxi. The taxi arrived and we opened the front door to leave the house.

As we walked out the door, the cat we had put out in the yard, scoots back into the house. We didn't want the cat shut in the house. Because she always tries to eat the bird.

My wife goes on out to the taxi, while I went back inside to get the cat. The cat runs upstairs, with me in hot pursuit. Waiting in the cab, my wife doesn't want the driver to know that the house will be empty for the night. So, she explains to the taxi driver that I will be out soon, 'He's just going upstairs to say Goodbye to my mother.'

A few minutes later, I get into the cab. 'Sorry I took so long,' I said, as we drove away. 'That stupid b**** was hiding under the bed. I had to poke her a$$ with a coat hanger to get her to come out! She tried to take off, so I grabbed her by the neck. Then, I had to wrap her in a blanket to keep her from scratching me. But it worked! I hauled her fat a$$ downstairs and threw her out into the back yard!'

The cab driver hit a parked car.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 am

Ellen, i heard that one before, but i still laffed out loud! Can u imagine that poir cab driver.... affraid tongue Wink

Bailey loved her ear rings we got for her birthday. Got them at walmart at jewelry counter, zworski crystals or something like that. They were little hearts and pink, blue, purple, clear teeny crystals. They shimmered from across the room, i thought they were cute, but they dazzled us all and 15 bucks! Now i will be inclined to go get the matching necklace for xmas....who knew they would be so cute. Joey made her a cake with all colors inside and smurf blue icing...we all had blue teeth
Shocked
Thats our exciting night.

Sunny took kent home on wednesday, but i havnt heard how its going, she doesnt answer my posts...insurance wouldnt pay for anymore nursing rehab, so he went home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:11 am

Oh my TRUDY, what a terrible accident for your neighborhood to endure.
Prayers for his widow & family.  Prayers also for Ashley.
I was glad to read your beef program is going well.

CB, prayers for SUNNY & KENT.  Hey, isn't it fun when you find the right gift?
The party sounds like it went off well.  Matching cake & ear rings is perfect.

Nothing new in AZ......all of us blah blahs are busy making plans for Superbowl Sunday.  I'm simply bringing pizza or one of my pressure cooker specialties............they can work out the blah blah.  Surprised

We are moving along with new bathtub...........old cast iron is gone, tile chosen, tub ordered.  So far not much of a mess.

Everyone have a good day. God bless.  Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Slug day!

I hate scammers, they want to pay thru pay pal, want my acct number, and have a courier come pick up the item and put it in storage until they get home from the army...
We r talking horse for sale here. affraid Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:40 pm

CB, if the scammers would put half as much energy into legitimate business efforts, they would be rich without having to cheat. They make me mad too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Wish we could hear from foops missing in action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 am

TRUDY:
I am so sorry about your neighbor's tractor accident. How terrible for him and his family and friends. Poor guy....just trying to get a job done. I have missed what is wrong with your young friend, but I hope there is a cure in sight.

ELLEN:
I bet you watched the big race yesterday! I actually saw it, I usually miss Saturday afternoon horse races. I don't know what happened to California Chrome, but he looked pretty listless. I hope he is okay. I voted for him. Donnie voted for Neolithic because he liked his name, and his choice came in third. Not bad...

ROSE:
I got your FB message, I will try to get your pix posted tomorrow. Maybe making the photos smaller will enable them to be posted, sometimes pix directly off cameras or phones are simply too big. Choose a size 600 pixels or less and it should post. You will find that choice on the posting screen.

Several years ago I got a photo from my dad of his new car. It took forever to download and my screen only showed the handle on the car door. The photo was enormous! Smaller is better!

It has been snowing off and on today, but not much is sticking around. I do like being outside during snow showers with big fluffy snow flakes. I feel like I am in a snow globe! Very Happy Too bad I don't like the cold much.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2017   

Back to top Go down

January 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next