Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

February 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Sad circunstance, but a nice way for an old cowboy to leave this world. My daughters and sil are transporting cowboy from funeral home to the cemetary. His last ride. Using a wagon and team thru town. Nice touch for a last ride.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:03 pm

https://servimg.com/view/18419675/3

I had to put or try to put this on with the TV url..........

Let's see if it worked........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 pm

It did.........Eli this afternoon.............he's growing.

CB, what a great idea for a cowboy's last ride.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm

I like his build, nice. I like his color, i like his head....

My new guy got upset with me whe i stopped brusing me, he kept trotting in front of me and stopping and backing up to me....he was not done yet! I can see a difference in him in a week. Farrier will be out when we get home, he was too busy to squeeze us in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am

TRUDY:
Yikes, I forgot!  Congratulations, Great Grandmother!!  wavy wavy  

GRAYMARE:
 Wow, Eli sure grew up pretty!  Did you want the photo posted here?  

Since it is already hosted, use the second t.v. icon and copy the "Direct Link" url into it. Easy peasy.

Great photo!!

Well Lori and I took Ivan and Areion to the New River Trail today. Our goal was to go faster than usual for a longer time. So we trotted a lot on the way out, cantered a couple of times on Ivan, and although they were both a bit spooky for awhile, they pretty much settled into it. When we got to the turn around point, about 4 to 4 1/2 miles, we mostly power walked back to the trailer. Both horses still had plenty of energy, but I was sure tired. Areion would rather canter than trot, so Lori's job was to get more trot than canter. Areion's cantering kicked Ivan into a canter a few times when I would rather have kept at the trot. Some of that was a bit more exciting than I was wanting. He knows he can push thru his hackamore and really took off once into a very fast canter that he didn't want to stop. Luckily he didn't throw his head down or spook at a shadow during that time or I would have ended up as part of the trail. He finally did slow down and I managed to live. So we power walked some more. It was 65 degrees, a wonderful day, and we had the trail all to ourselves, no bikes, no hikers and dogs, only one fisherman, and only two horses passed us. Not bad for almost 9 miles. We will be trying a bit on Ivan to see if we can contain that enthusiasm for awhile, then when he settles down, I will put his hackamore back on. That boy can go on and on forever. Areion doesn't have his endurance, but is much stronger than she was a year ago. Fun day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:01 am

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/18/41/96/75/img_7310.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 am

Hmmmmm.  ARK, I didn't get that.  I'll have to fiddle to "get it".

Great riding ARK................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:56 am

I dont know if you want looks or control, but for years i rode western with and wnglish brudle wirh a nose band and curb bit....it did wonders for my ex barrel horse on the trails.

We are to leave tomorrow ....
We got my kia rio in the stock trailer to haul to jaemi....the whole neighborhood was.out watching that fiasco. One of the ramps kicked out under a tire and hit me in the leg, taking me DOWN!
Ill have a bruise tomorrow.
We had lots of cheering.....so embarassing.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:58 am

I'm back...my Internet was down since Friday. UUGGHHHHH Finally back on at 3AM this morning after many phone calls. I can read my email on my stupid smart phone, but it's so small, don't know how the kids use it on a hourly basis. I like my laptop keyboard for typing.

There was a fire around here too. A huge chicken barn burnt to the ground but there were no chickens in it. The smoke was rising over the hill behind a friend of ours house, so I sent her a text and the fire was about 3 miles from here, that's how much smoke was coming off the fire. It was a Amish farm on fire, they probably already have the barn rebuilt. LOL

Thanks for the congrats for little Cameron. Baby, mom and dad are doing fine. My grandson Aaron, the big tough guy, cried when his daughter was born, he didn't tell anyone but Grammy, cause I can be trusted with his man secrets.

Ace managed to lick a sore on his elbow. I've gone thru a roll of pet wrap trying to keep it medicated and covered. Not easy to keep the wrap in place on his leg without cutting off circulation to the leg. I've been making him wear a blow up collar at night but somehow he managed to get it off last night. It looked a little better this morning, so he must not have enjoyed the taste of the Neosporin.

CB: Have a safe trip to ID. Be careful girlfriend.

GRAYMARE: WOW what a beautiful horse Eli has grown into.

ARK: Your ride sounded like a lot of fun even with the couple of extra canters thrown in,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 am

Trudy, spoil that new baby!
I need a bigger keyboard for my fat arthritic fingers...or grant me patience and time to check\read my posts, i apologize to all for my typos.

Western saddle, english bridle with a curb bit and a noseband, worked both ways and he behaved great that even kids could ride him. I know you couldnt show like that, but much better on the trails. Judges on competitive trail rides never even questioned it, but it says you have to have clean, well fitting tack....not what kind...lol i had other riders question it....but i just said, if it works, and he likes it, i like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:19 pm

CB:
 I think we are going to try increasing the severity of the bit slowly, so the curb bit will be a little later.  He used to use an English bridle with noseband and a full cheek snaffle bit, but doesn't like it, especially since we have been using the s-hook hackamore.  I just got a three piece loose ring snaffle bit, in copper, that is fatter than his old bit.  If he doesn't respect that, Lori has a kimberwick bit to try on him.  He is usually good about going where I want, or the speed I want, but got a little too enthusiastic yesterday.  I may have been partially to blame since when he took off, I wrapped everything from my hips to my toes around him to stay on.  I probably was gouging him in the ribs and making him run faster.  When I realized what I was doing, I sat up, took my feet and lower legs off of him, and he slowed down and stopped.  He has learned he can go thru the hackamore, though, so he may have to give it up for awhile.    Also, if I want to take him to a horse show, I have to use a bit.  The English classes won't let you show in hackamores.    Ivan is always an adventure in learning....

Next trail ride is this coming weekend.  I am not sure yet if Areion is going, but Ivan will be.  We are going to Pandapas Pond Park with Lori and possibly a couple of other ladies.  If Lori wants to give Areion a lesson, I'll take her, otherwise Lori will ride her mustang, Tonto.  Areion did pretty well yesterday.  She spooked a few times, once was kind of funny.  We have no idea what she was spooking at, but suddenly she stopped while spreading her front legs out and lowering her front half of her body.  She looked like a dog when it plays with a ball, but she wasn't doing it for fun.  Two seconds later, she was back to trotting along.  Ivan didn't react to her spook at all, so it must not have been much.  Ivan was spooky about the cliff wall we were riding beside and its' dark shadows in crevices and jags.  He was convinced there were bears in what looked like caves.  On the way back, the sun angle was different and he didn't spook at the cliff wall at all. No big spooks, just edging sideways away from it.  Since there was a drop off on the other side going into the river, he didn't edge too far.  Thankfully...

TRUDY:
 Poor Ace!  He needs pj's padded at the elbows!   Laughing   He might wear that better than bandages.  Hope he heals up fast!  So how is the great grand baby??  

ELLEN:
 What are you up to?  My sister is into making lap quilts and quilted wallhangings.  I have no idea how many she has done lately, but a lot.  How's the wrist doing?

GRAYMARE:
  Hmmm....I think you used the wrong link or the wrong t.v. icon.  Use the second t.v. icon for your already hosted photo.  Try a different URL link listed at the host's website.  The one you sent this time doesn't allow me to get the other links.  It should be the "Direct Links" URL that you use.

It's a great photo, though!  I can't believe how grown up Eli looks!  Now we need a photo of you riding him! Very Happy

It is 70 fabulous degrees right now.  Despite my poor sore body, I am going to try to find a water hose to reach my arena and give some truly dirty horses a bath.  Areion will enjoy it.  Daisy will tolerate it.  Ivan will  hate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Home again, home again..... I left Saturday to go visit some cousins and watch the Super Bowl. We had a good time watching the game and over-eating. Last evening we went to a junior high basketball game. Alex's team didn't do very well. They need some bigger kids and some better coaching. But, they were participating and playing instead of sitting in front of a video game.

Today, I went to see another cousin where we had lunch, then I got my hair cut. Hair is good to go for another 5 or 6 weeks.

The gal who was pregnant with triplets still has the one baby and is doing well.

It was a very pleasant little weekend get-away. With the really warm temperatures, the ice is gone again and the rain has caused the water level to rise.

The wrist is improving slowly and I'm doing more and more with the normal hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Ellen, glad the gal is doing ok with the baby.

What kaos last few days have been.... bounce Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Udder kaos....befitting the queen mooer tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm

What's going on, CB? I thought you'd be on your way to Idaho by now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Teehee...me, too. Hubby in his infinite wisdom the morning we were to leave, says "you know ill have to take the truck camper off to go get the big tagalong one when we get back from idaho"
In my infinite wisdom after our last one was demolished when we were taming it off, i said"lets go get it now"
We got all hooked up and couldnt get lights to work, some fuses on truck were blown, couldnt get in to get fixed where we were, waited until this morning, left to go home. An hour out, blew a tire, and a hole in side of camper....so here we sit waiting for roadside assistance....harry cant lift the tires yet and we forgot to see.if there was a jack and lugwrench for camper
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I had made appt at dealership in town, but not going to make it now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Oh boy! What a mess! Call the dealer and see if they will come get you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Too far...sitting for 2 hours or more now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Finally, scotty to the rescue.....roadside assistance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm

And finally home.....moved old camper out, new one in...we r pooped.....sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 am

I'll bet it's nice to have more room to live in now. Smile Glad you are home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 am

Heavens, CB.  Hopefully you're sound asleep, comfy, & warm.........

Glad you're home................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 am

SNOW SNOW SNOW we have our first big snow storm of 2017, probably about 5" so far and a couple more hours of snow is to fall.

Ace was happy when I opened the door and he saw snow. He was running like a young dog all around the yard. Crazy dog. His elbow is looking almost healed. I quit using the pet wrap & neosporin and started using good old Wonder Dust. He hates the taste. so he doesn't lick at it. Glad I kept that stuff around.

CB: OMG that's really all I can say. Glad you guys are safe and back home.

ELLEN: Glad you are starting to use your broken wrist a little. Very happy to hear the little baby is hanging in.

ARK: Finding the right bit can be a difficult and expensive journey. Good luck.

Staying on the farm today. Retirement has it's perks, not having to travel in the storm. I canceled my church group yesterday, in advance of the storm. A bunch of little old ladies driving around in a snow storm is not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 am

Trudy, we only got a tiny bit of snow. Not even enough to completely cover the grass. It will be gone tomorrow.

Just got home from a follow-up with the orthopedist. I'm free to do whatever I want, and am to work on bending the wrist to get back the flexibility. AND knitting is encouraged. Smile

It's really cold outside, so it's going to be a good day to knit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 pm

That is good news Ellen! Knit away.

Trudy, glad Ace is doing better.

Well, dare i say this...we r heading to idaho in an hour.....my mind is in a state of, what will be happening this trip. If ya have a spare hum lying around, send it our way....tia.

I wish we were there already...ill keep in touch and will probably be whining a lot....but i sure hope not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2017   

Back to top Go down

February 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next