Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

March 2017

Go down 
+3
cb
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

March 2017 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I think its good folks are preparing to stay off roads and be safe. I remember the noreaster in 93, no power for 5 days. I had to make sandwiches and heat soup on our kerosene heater, and we all slept around that only heat source. Keeping things cold was fine, just sit it outside. We had to tie ropes to get to the barn becuz the snow had drifted up over our house. All govt and all businesses were shut, no school, no grocery stores for days. My girls had never seen snow like that.

This happened times when i was a kid, but we had wood stove for heat and cooking, kerosene lamps...the road grader that was plowing roads got stuck in a drift. The driver walked to our house where he stayed for 3 days. 
I cant find fault with folks wanting to be prepared to  care for families. Better to have what you can make do with. 

They do show folks get carried away sometimes....but im the one getting stuff in but i try to do it before the crowd gets rowdy.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 pm

CB, you are absolutely right about being prepared. It's good that people do get prepared. Sometimes, the media gets people into panic mode, more than necessary.
I always have enough staples on hand that I could make almost anything I would need.
I was 10 years old when we had a March snow/ice storm. It was a big one with high wind that created big drifts. We lost power and lived in our basement where there was a fireplace for most of a week. We had lots of camping equipment, so we were in good shape. But, it was a relief when the power finally came back on.
Wow! That was a LONG time ago. Laughing
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Think about folks who depend on power for their heat source...i wouldnt want to crawl out from under my blankies to fix anythi g to eat, no coffee or tea...i was thankful for our lil kerosene heater and thankful we bought extra kerosene, and sleeping bags, melted snow after we ran out of water, bucketed water from the creek for horses...i thought of thise who had kids and the old folks...my parents did alright with their heater and foodwise, and filled jugs and tub with water...but i still worried about them. They wouldnt come to our house, didnt want us to go there...they had been thru the neasters before, but this was first without their old cookstove. They are so nice to have.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 6:36 pm

When I was remodeling this place, I really wanted a wood burning fireplace. I 'settled' for a gas one. That turned out to be a really good thing. Less than a month after the work was done the power went off in the middle of the night. I woke up and noticed it was cold in the house. At that point, it was 11° and the wind was blowing. I hit the switch for the fireplace which lighted instantly, and then heated the whole house to 68° for the next 17 hours until the power was returned. 'Settling' was the best thing after all.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Gas heaters are good, ve nice if everyone had one fir backup. My brother had two, thats what he heated his house with. 
We talked to harrys sister, she lives about 15 miles or so from trudy, said she was prepared if the power stayed on, i sure hope it does for everyones sake. 
Got harper a bouncy spring horse for her birthday.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm

I know Ark will remember, and Graymare. I got this from an e-mail from Barbara O'Day.
" Barbara ODay
March 13 at 6:26pm

For those that knew Candace Brown and her Mom, Chris.... Chris passed away very quietly and peacefully on March 9th with both of her other daughters, Donna and Barbara at her side. ( We that knew Candace and Chris know she is with her other daughter Candace now.... Added by Barbara O'Day )

There will be a short graveside service and her ashes will be interred next to her husband at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Bristol, IN sometime this summer. If you would like to be notified of the date and time of the summer service, please email Barbara at bbwilhelm@yahoo.com or send a note to 42 Shiny Pebble Place, The Woodlands, TX 77381.

Another option if you wish to remember Chris, they are sure she would appreciate donations to The Elkhart County Historical Museum in Bristol, IN. Most of all, they said, it would honor her memory and her husband's.

They also send their Thanks to everyone who was her friend!! "

Chris was a really neat lady, generous, and kind. I liked her a lot.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 am

Sorry to hear of Chris passing, sad.

Just heard they are expecting power outages, widezpread with this storm. That doesnt  sound good....

Tomorrow we r going to play tourist, take granddaughters places, have pizza for lunch....spring break. Have a little fun.

So i guess i should say goodnight as i will need to keep up with the girls.

Sweet dreans....
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 am

Welllllllllllllllll the stupid snow is here. It's snowing like mad, I bet we have 5" already this morning. The entire state is freaking out. I just saw a car going down my road. Fools...The Governor said to stay off the roads unless it is necessary. Supposed to get 12 to 18 inches. uuggghhhhhhh Hardly even a deer track in the yard this morning, even the wild critters are hunkered down for this storm.

CB: I remember the 93 blizzard, we were trying to move into the farm house. It was crazy. Couldn't even get here for days to do any work and had to move by April 1st. It was a crazy time. We are set with a generator and enough food for a month for us Ace and the barn cats.

We don't have a fire place but do have propane heaters on the patio and back porch so we will get thru whatever happens.

I'll check in and let ya know how we are doing in the big blizzard of 2017. They are already comparing it to the blizzard of 93 when all the barns around were coming down. The snow mobiles will be out today.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 am

My sil in williamsort said 13 inches, a cousin in berwick says they changed the amount to 20 to 30 inches now. Now i fear for everyone when it all melts...hope that happens slowly

Stay safe.  Im watching weather channel
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Harrys sis has 24 inches of the pretty white stuff in bloomsburg pa. 
Trudy how r u doing?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 pm

We got off really easy on this one. The snow has stopped and we only got about 2 inches. The sun was shining this afternoon, so what little was there melted off the roads, even though it wasn't warm.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

:roll:we got off easy too....80 degrees today...woohoo. lol

I do enjoy winters here, summers has its downfall, too hot and humid. 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 pm

We lucked out, so far.  We only have about an inch of slushy, icy snow on the ground, but it is till snowing overnight.  We won't get much more.  The cold and wind is pretty terrible, though.  We put blankets on the horses since the windchill will be around zero in the morning.  The wind is howling.    I am grateful not to have the snow they are getting north of us, but am still ready for spring.

If anyone is interested in seeing the work Donnie did to get his degree, you can see it online at: https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/75155 and click on the pdf file on the left

We took ThunderPuff to the vet today, he seems to have a bladder infection.   He is not a happy camper when he has to travel in the truck.  

Weird thing happened today. Remember my three roosters who were supposed to be hens? They have been living happily in my yard for almost three years now. Today a very large hawk swooped down and killed one of the roosters right beside the bird enclosure and in my yard. We left the hawk alone to finish off his meal since if he killed it, he should at least eat it. The rooster probably weight 10 to 12 pounds and was too heavy for the hawk to fly off with, so he ate it under our apple tree.....Now there are two. sniff, sniff.... Sad

March 2017 - Page 4 Threer10

March 2017 - Page 4 Hawkki10

So that's the news today! Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 am

Checking in. We have snow snow and more snow. Probably close to 2 feet. This has to be the largest snowfall since we moved here in 93. Most of the area is closed down, the roads are not passable. It finally stopped snowing but the wind is blowing the snow into huge drifts. The snow is up past my knees in the yard. What a mess. At least we still have power so that's a big plus.

Poor Ace can hardly find a potty place, the snow is almost over him, he leaps thru the drifts. George used the snow blower and made a little path and spot for him to use as his potty. He finally figured out he has to go there and not try to locate the perfect potty place like he usually does.

A little bird is hiding from the snow on the kitchen porch under the generator. I put some bread crumbs out for her.

ARK: That is so sad about your rooster. Those darn hawks, I'm sure that is what has killed some of our barns cats. We have HUGE hawks and owls in our woods. George saw one trying to carry off a dead ground hog a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

Hawks, eagles too will carry off small dogs and cats, thats why when we saw them we would shoot very close to them. We use to shoot arrows when we were kids, they dont like projectiles coming near them. We never saw many eagles as a kid, but hawks were horrible. They would even fly down and sink talons on small toddlers heads. After that happened, they unfortunately became fair game in our area.they could kill babies tearing into their heads like that. Those claws are nasty.  I still have small scars and had seizures for 3 years due to injuries....so to me, dead one is the only good one, i wont let them fly around my animals.
Trudy thats a lot of snow friend.....glad im in texas.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Everyone.

I was really sorry to read of Chris' passing, however she had a long good loving life.  I'm sure her town will have a good celebration in her honor.

That picture of Harper is super.  ARK, sorry about your chicken.

Full moon has been beautiful here.  I love watching the sun rise and turn around and see the moon setting.  Confidence, that's what that is..............all is continuing here on earth.  All the people may be upside down and crazy but the sun still comes up each day.

The man cave tub is totally complete and a hit.............LOL, way better than a new car.  The cafe is almost together. I took the cabinet doors off the TV cabinet and painted them black yesterday.  It makes a nice contrast to match the mule table............ha, at least I think it will................Shocked  We shall see.  If not, oh well, a do over.....Twisted Evil

Hope spring comes soon for this in the big storm areas.

Everyone have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Man cave tub: sitting there in the hot bubbly water, TV on the wall, drink in hand. Sounds like a plan.

Ark, sorry about your rooster. Maybe the other two will be more wary when they see a shadow. These tow were supposed to be hens. Do you have any hens? Pretty hard to get eggs from roosters. Very Happy

Ark, do you have any suggestions for being able to log in on my phone, Galaxy 7? I have changed my password here, and thought that would work on the phone. It didn't. It still won't let me log in. I can read the posts, but can't add any.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Oh brother ELLEN...............new phone.  That's sure no fun.  I'm sure
you'll get the kinks worked out..........I'm sure you will like it quite soon.
Hello?  LOL, I didn't mean to cut off..............ring ring ring.....Hello?
Oops, click................Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes  Anyhow, hope you really like it.  I don't type well at all on my phone.  

Later gators.............
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Went to the doc today....a1c is much better but room for improvement, kidney function has improved, from stage 3 to stage 1 renal failure. Now thinking it was medications i was on causing the damage. Nexium, or glyberide, or januvia. So if anyone is on those, keep careful ck on your bloodwork. 
79 today....cant complain....i like Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Trudy, are you digging out yet?

Graymare, this is the phone I got last fall. I had the same problem with the old phone. I've been able to get to Foopville, but can't log in to post. Back on this computer, I went through a password change, thinking that would allow me to sign in on the phone. Didn't work.
So, unless I get super smart and figure out the problem, the gang here will need to know that when I'm away from home, I'll be reading but can't post.

CB, that's some good news about your blood work. Sure glad to hear that!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Ellen, ive had same problem, and sunny did too.  Sometimes i cant post, there us no send button to hit....these phones, ack. I have thought about going back to computer, but with us traveling, the phone will work better.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 pm

ELLEN, when you travel, take your Kindle Fire.................

Oh boy. TIRED.............weeding & mowing............need I say more?

Yes, hope TRUDY & GEORGE are seeing the end in sight......what a mess for all in that big snow in the East. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I do have a seldom used tablet that I can take along. It has a problem and will only work when it's plugged in. Even with a fully charged battery, it will turn itself off for no apparent reason. That's why it is seldom used. But, you're right; I can take that along.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 am

Good morning everyone. Yes, we are dug out as much as we are going to be. George made paths to get to the pole barn and thru the yard for Ace. He cleaned out both driveway, but it's till crazy here with the deepest snow we have ever experienced. The road crew did finally clear the road but it's still terrible. The wind has made huge snow drifts.

Thank God we didn't lose power so that's a big plus. That and being retired and not having to go anywhere. Although most of the area was closed down on Tuesday. Our neighbor had to bring in a big tractor with a snow blower on it to get down off the hill. I was worried about them cause they are older and Burt has had a dew strokes. Our little snow blower is no match for their long driveway.

CB: Good news on your health issues.

ELLEN: I can't post from my Galaxy phone either, I can read the forum but that's it.

ARK: Our friend was losing his chickens last spring, we told him it was a hawk and he didn't believe us.

I'll keep checking in, someday the snow will go away and spring will arrive. A little worried about the people who live by the rivers once this snow melts it's going to cause flooding nightmares.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2017 11:01 am

Im worried about the flooding that will happen also, with all that snowfall. Stay safe. You know it has happened before, lost lives, mobile homes, old covered bridges, cars....got washed away.  I grew up in this area that got hit so hard, about 30 some miles from trudy.

Our camper estimate to repair the wind damage is 3975.00 wowzer. Hoping we can get it fixed so we can travel in may. I have endocrinologist appt april 28, cant leave until after that.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am

Sorry folks, but there isn't a thing I can do to help phones connect to this website.  I posted from my Kindle for a long time, but didn't try to post pix from it.  Phones don't seem to handle the website too well.  FaceBook seems to be designed to post pix from anywhere.  

Speaking about pix,  since there are so few of us posting here these days, I am going to try to re-install our avatars using this website's pix hosting.  Imageshack is costing about $36 a year now and doesn't seem worth it since we have discovered that Forumotion can host the images.   So it may take me a few days to fix our avatars,  any former pix that were hosted by Imageshack will disappear.   Unless I change my mind..... Laughing ...This website seems to have increased the storage capacity for photos from what it was originally, so Imageshack has become just a convenience, not a necessity anymore.  They have priced themselves out of my budget, they used to be free.

GRAYMARE:
 I can't wait to see your finished home makeovers!  I bet you will love that tub.  I just saw one on a commercial, looks great!

CB
Last I heard, there is a $25,000 fine for shooting an endangered species.  Chickens are hardly endangered, so despite my fondness for my birds,  I won't be shooting any hawks.    My peacocks, guineas, and chicken hens are in the geodesic dome that Donnie built for them about 10 years ago, so they are relatively safe from hawks.  They get locked in the henhouse at night.

ELLEN:
 I have six  laying hens who prodigiously provide us with eggs.  My last little cochin rooster is in with them and the three big red roosters are outside of the dome.  They have a house they roost in built onto the side of the dome's attached henhouse, but run loose during the day. The roosters and peacocks don't get along, that is why they are not in the dome.  

TRUDY
We've lost chickens over the years to raccoons, possums, rats, dogs, cars, and one tractor incident, but this was our first hawk attack.   We live near the Radford Army Arsenal that has a huge flock of black vultures living in it.  They fly all over, occasionally taking a newborn calf, but are endangered and one had better not be caught shooting one of them.   They cause some problems for farmers and some neighborhoods....besides being ugly as sin.   They are pretty good for cleaning up carcasses, though.  
 I hope the snow melts away and doesn't flood anyone.  What a mess it is up north of us!  We got the cold and wind, but only about an inch of snow.  It's going to be around 60 degrees on Monday.  I hope to take Ivan and Areion to the New River Trail that day, the footing is good there.

ThunderPuff's urine sample showed he has an infection, so we have to give him pills for 10 days.  The first one was easy to give, he wasn't expecting it.  I suspect it will get harder every day.  The vet recommends he lose weight, too.  T-Puff will not be happy about that.   Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

March 2017
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next