Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

MAY 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sat May 27, 2017 12:11 pm

"This is from this a.m. from Libby.

Liz Barnes, was at the hospital Tues evening, Wednesday, last night and heading back today. Each day is different. Her kidneys seem to be getting better, on antibiotics due to possible pneumonia, appears to be working as the cough seems to have subsided although the doctors have her on 2 more puffers. Her nurse practioner talked with me on Wednesday, lots going on. One side of her heart is not moving therefore causing the blood to backup, white blood count still high (may have something to do with an infection/pneumonia), potassium is low due to the water pills. However appetite is out of this world, such a major change. Wednesday morning she had me get her a chicken noodle soup from Subway at 10:30 and then she decided she would like my egg on a flatbread. From what she tells me she has had lots of company this past week. Now if we can just get her strength and walking in order should aid in the recovery process. She is very agitated and obviously frustrated. Her nurse, Jen, suggested that I sign Mom out from her floor today and take her to the cafeteria and patio for a change of scenery. Unfortunately the hospital is on overload, patients in the gym, auditorium and lounges, so there really is no place for patients to socialize with family/friends. I will update again tomorrow."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sat May 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Many of the docks are now sporting buckets of water to hold them down. It rained again last evening and into the night. The outer section of my dock was floating. It now has two big buckets of water and a concrete block holding it down.
One neighbor 6 houses down, said that he has to go retrieve one of his pier sections from the other end of the lake. As I type, I see them towing that section back home.
There are a few very thoughtless people who are running their boats at a speed that makes big waves which causes the docks to bounce out of position. If the water level rises any more, the DNR will put idle only restrictions on all these lakes.

On a happier note there is a company that travels around selling BBQ chicken as fund raisers for various organizations. Very soon I will be making a trip to town to get half a chicken for lunch. Their chicken is DELICIOUS and just falls off the bone.
Now that I think about it, I'd better get going before they sell out. Very Happy Drool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sun May 28, 2017 12:03 am

Ellen, how was your chicken...i love chicken....hubby is ok with breast, i like dark....but he would rather have pork or saugage...or ham.
Man the skeeters r out and they are big ol things. Irrigation draws them to the yard, good thing puppy dogs have heartworm meds.
Tommorrow bbq ing at randis, oldest kiddo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 am

Having a quiet weekend here. Not doing anything special for the holiday weekend. Too much to get ready for the convention Spent the day searching the house for some of George's parts for his flag poles and things for the convention that he put in a really good place but can't remember where. If he would just keep his stuff in one place and label the box with the contents.

It has finally stopped raining here, the grass and weeds are loving all the rain.

I finally made grave markers for my Sassy cat and Jazz horse. It will be a year since Sassy crossed the bridge, 7 years for Jazzy. That time has flown by.

Going to church for the Memorial Day service and skipping the parade today. Our friends son was killed in Iraq on Memorial Day 2003, so today will be a difficult day for them. Say a prayer for them, Karen and Rick Long.

A friend of my grandson Anthony, broke his back on Saturday, riding his dirt bike in their back yard. A prayer for him and his dad would be appreciated too. Nate and Tony Rocuskie. Nate was in surgery for 5 hours, has no feeling in his legs.

Have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend.

A huge thanks to the Veterans and their families.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sun May 28, 2017 8:43 am

Ohhhh, the chicken was soooo good, as always. I costs $7 per half chicken, so it's more expensive, but the profit goes to whatever organization is sponsoring it. It's a sure-fire fund raiser because the chicken is so good that everybody wants it.

The water level is still up over the docks that are weighted down. We don't need any more rain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Sun May 28, 2017 9:26 am

That chicken sounds good. Drool There is a guy who lives around here who has a converted school bus called the Chicken Bus. It has a grill built into the back of it. He drives it to a scheduled different place every day and sells chicken dinners. He does a good business. You see him in the different towns around here every day, he spends a day a week in each of the towns and has a good following. His Chicken Bus caught fire a couple of years ago and folks couldn't wait for him to restore it and get back on the road.

Well it did not rain yesterday. We could have gone to the horse show, but didn't because they called for thunderstorms all afternoon. Rolling Eyes My horses are getting fat. Ivan isn't limping now and it is killing me to wait another month to ride him. He goes back for x-rays at the end of June. I am still putting DMSO on his leg every day, as the vet told me to do. He doesn't like me doing it, so I wonder if he tastes garlic or onion like I do when I get DMSO on me. The lump on his leg is still there, but tight and cool. I hope it goes away.

I did ride Areion on Friday and will have lessons this week on Tuesday and Thursday on her if the weather, and hay making, cooperate. She was good on Friday, but did have a couple of minor spooks to keep my heart exercised... Rolling Eyes I don't generally like riding other people's horses, but have had two offers to ride other horses on trail rides. I may take them up on that. I don't feel comfortable taking Areion on a trail ride yet. Their horses are supposed to be very calm. I hope. One is an old TB, the other is a young Rocky Mtn horse.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend! We aren't doing anything special except making hay while the sun shines tomorrow. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am

Trudy, I pray that the surgery was successful and he will eventually heal and be able to walk again.

As I sit here enjoying where I live, feeling safe, I am very grateful to all those who have served in the military and continue to do so.
I saw a news story about a young man, 19 years old, who is traveling around to visit and learn from all the WWII vets he can find. He is writing down the stories they tell him. He wants others to do the same thing. Write down the stories before they are lost.
I had an uncle who used to tell the best stories about the settling of his part of Indiana. I loved listening to him. Sadly, I was too young to write them down. I only remember a very few of them. They all died with him.
So, write down your family stories, military or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Mon May 29, 2017 5:54 pm

I hope the kiddo heals well and get back to normal.

Walmart was packed! Yikes!

We cooked out yesterday, so pretty lazy today...we  and the dogs are under the a/c kicked back....nap time.

Thank you to all who has served and serving our country.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 12:53 am

Roadted some marshmalliws and hotdogs tonight, visited with some neighbors...nice evening....now getting ready for nap...long nap....having a cuppa tea and not a 2 inch one, trudy! A big ol cuppa! Lol
Sweet dreams!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 6:49 am

CB: You certainly made me laugh out loud this morning. I forgot about the 2" cup a tea. We had a great time on our little road trip didn't we? Laughing 2 crazy red heads should not travel together.

ELLEN: You are right about writing down the stories. They pas away with the people who lived them. That is wonderful about the young man talking tp the WW11 Vets, they are dying off, so are the Nam Vets.

Like my Gram's recipe for her sweet buns. By the time I was old enough to ask her for the recipe she said "I have no idea what buns you are talking about", she had a stroke and her memory was gone.

We had a quiet Memorial Day So different than our usual holiday weekends when the house was full of kids and grandkids, grilled some steaks and just hung out here on the farm. No company, just me George & Ace.

Off to see the vampires this morning so George can give up some blood, then back to work on getting the convention stuff rounded up. Only 6 days until the fun begins.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Trudy, were those sweet buns anything like dinner rolls?  If so, I have a good recipe that I would be happy to share.  You might be able to alter the basic recipe until you get it close to the original.  I'll bet your grandmother would be pleased to know that you are trying.
I got the recipe from my mother, who got it from older my dad's aunt.  Aunt Opal showed me how to fold Parker House rolls so they wouldn't unfold as they raised.
I've made that recipe so many times over my life, I don't even need the written recipe any more.  Finding out about bread flour about 30 years ago made the difference in whether or not they puffed up like they should every time.

The water level seems to have crested and isn't rising any more, but hasn't started down yet either.

Ark, are you still able to walk and lift your arms after doing hay yesterday?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Ellen id like the recipe...

We got a temporary registration to ride our scooters...have to wait for tutles to get permanent one. 
So tommorrow we RIIIDE
Today too windy....gusty winds....i wasnt gettin on....lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Here ya go, CB.

2 packets yeast (4 1/2 tsp) dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water.

In a sauce pan, heat until butter is melted and ingredients are mixed.
1 stick butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt

Beat three eggs, and add to the butter mixture when that mixture is cool enough to not cook the eggs.  Then add the yeast and mix all ingredients.

Pour over 4 1/2 cups bread flour.  Stir everything together.  At this point, the dough will be sticky and you might want to add a bit more flour.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Put it back into the bowl, lightly oil the top and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour and a half until double in size.
Turn it back out onto the floured board and knead again briefly.  Then shape the dough into whatever you'd like it to be, individual rolls or braids.  Then let it rise again until double, about 45 to 60 minutes.

You can be creative with it.  Parker House rolls are cut with a round cookie cutter, smeared with melted butter, and then folded in half.  For the braids, I roll out the dough into a rectangle, then cut it into strips.  Butter the top of the strips and then braid, either 3, 5, or 7 strips. You can also make little walnut sized balls and put them into a cupcake pan to make clover leaf rolls.
You can roll it all out into a large rectangle, cover it with melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and roll it into one long roll. Cut it into half inch slices to make cinnamon rolls. Or bring the two ends of the roll together into a circle, cut most of the way through, then give each slice a quarter twist to make a tea ring. Of course, you'll want to drizzle icing over the top after it bakes.

Bake at 350° for about 20 to 25 minutes, until it is nicely browned and will sound hollow when tapped.  As soon as it comes out of the oven, smear melted butter over the top.

You will then need another stick of butter to eat with the rolls or braids.  Eat immediately while still hot.  Very Happy

Last edited by Ellen E on Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 pm

TRUDY
I hope Nate recovers from his accident. Poor guy....

ELLEN
We have the hay down, but not baled yet. It's going to be more than the lower field, so I will be lucky if I can lift my arms afterward. I am hoping we can sweet talk the neighbor kid into helping. He just graduated from high school. My hay victims grow up too fast.

No rain all weekend, despite predictions. Everyone has hay on the ground around here.

I had an Areion lesson today at noon. She was pretty good, but I was a bit nervous. We didn't quite get on the same page, but nothing bad happened. Then I went to the dentist and had my new molar crown installed. It is wonderful to be able to chew on both sides of my mouth again!! cheers I have to get a small cavity filled next month, then I should be done with them for awhile. I hope.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 am

More rain here and this morning thunder and lightening woke me at 4 AM. I rushed downstairs to find Ace pacing around the kitchen table, Poor puppy, storms just freak him out. He is laying at my feet, panting and sighing. The storm is moving away quickly thank God. I won't have to tranq him.

ELLEN: Yes, they were dinner rolls baked on a cookie sheet (I think) and pulled apart. I shall give that recipe a try. Thanks bunches. . If it is even close I'll be happy. My mom never made them and she had no clue either. I do have a recipe for pinwheel cookies that my mom always made at Christmas but no matter how I try they just are NOT the same. They look right but are missing something. Must be the love she baked in them.

ARK: I'm off to see our favorite person this morning. The dentist. YIPPEEEEE It's only for a cleaning but still causes stress for me. I have not been using the electric toothbrush like she told me to use. I'm afraid of it, it always hits my other teeth and sends a shock wave thru my teeth. And of course, I'm always so very careful with that spot that breaks open all the time. Congrats on your new molar and being able to chew again.

CB: Have fun on your scooter. They sound like a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 am

I just realized I forgot one step. I went back to edit the recipe to fix what I forgot and added a few suggestions.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Just another day older and less wise with each day passing.

I'm hoping Donnie is able to get his hay cured and baled before T-storms come through and wash / rinse it. Its a real chore to do so.

Pardon if I.ve overlooked something, but I don't recall last time I saw OLDMAN posting. Is he and Miss Virginia OK? That evening we spent around their dinner table many years ago was a highlight during my trucking career. Circumstances precluded that from repeating, but it was a great experience to meet and dine with them. She did a superb job cooking in a fine FOOP fashion.

Ive been very slowly remodeling my barn ... removing front wall of one stall and also where I stored hay. I'm gonna move my firewood from storage shed on farm and fill up this new areas. It will be several years worth of burning. We want to sell our 80 acres before it gets "complicated" when we pass on. My energy level is very low, and I can only work for a short time before sitting down. (**&^^%$ this getting OLD and %&^*))_) leukemia and treatment that I feel is sucking the energy from me.

Carol is busy getting stuff organized for our upcoming Alaska trip in August. She will have her scrapbook pretty well organized BEFORE we even go. It AIN'T brag ... its FACT ... she does a GREAT JOB with her scrapbooks. ARK / Donnie have seen a couple of them. I'll try to write a travel blog again ... using her scrapbook as a guide.

I DO try to read here often but just don't feel like posting much. I'll try to do better in the future.

Love to all ... Rick, Carol & Snoop (if he can be found Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 am

RICK!
Good to hear from you! Donnie's hay got rained on this afternoon, but he thinks it will dry out tomorrow after a good 'fluffing'. He is taking the day off to work in the field tomorrow. No riding lesson for me tomorrow, we will be making hay and moving it around. Such fun! Come on up and give us a hand! Cool

Yes, Carol's scrapbooks of her vacations are great! She is a very clever scrap book maker. What a great way to revisit one's vacations!

Somebody is having a birthday tomorrow...June 1. Who could it be? confused

TRUDY:
I hope your dental visit went well. I am truly sick of going to the dentist. My cute, and younger, dentist said it is because my teeth are 'ageing'. Nice. What a Face I have spent all day trying to remember I can eat on both sides of my mouth today Laughing .

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:41 am

Rick, we are doing same, trying uncomplicate things and make sure our middle kiddo has a place to call home for good. She has been renting for years now scraping by...our other two girls have a house, a spouse to help out, but jaes door will always be open to them if need be, but we bought her a small house on 2 acres today. She will not have to rent in crappy neighborhoods anymore, she is on disability, its been hard on her. We will take out insurance it will be paid off if we go way south. She will have a home.
We will camp out here in idaho for a few months in spring, early summer, travel a few months, then winter in arizona....when we cant do it anymore we will come to jaes and settle down i guess.
Gettin old does suck....we have been lied to about the golden years, i think, but we must keep on truckin, even a little each day.
Hugs for one and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:51 pm

CB:
That's really nice what you did for Jaeme. Good mama! wavy

Time to change the calendar here. Go to:
http://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t69-june-2017-summer-time

Or go to BASKET, then June 2017. May is now closed for business.

See you there! :dance:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2017   

Back to top Go down

MAY 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6