Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

JULY 2017 :-)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 am

Healing thoughts and prayers for Pat.....(((((Pat and family)))))
hug

GRAYMARE
I heard about a flash flood causing the deaths of several people in AZ. That's very sad.. Is this near you?

ELLEN
I don't think our previous forum template had a mobile device option. At least, I never noticed it. I am warming up to this new template. I still don't know how to change the frilly lettering and weird photos on some things, though.

Today I had the best lesson on the foal formerly known as Speck that I have had to date! wavy We were in a groove together, on the same page, marching to the same music! ClappingHands Areion was wonderful, not a bit of a spook, and my preemptive Advil had me fairly flexible. Lori said we were a pleasure to watch...and she never said that before. Laughing I am quite sure we are usually a painful sight to behold. Today, though, was one of those rare days that make up for a lot of not so good days. It was a lot of fun, too. flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am

ARK:  We will all get used to the new format.  You know it's so hard to teach us old dogs new tricks, we don't do change well, especially me, I have a difficult time with change.  I know you are excited about the progress you have been making with both of your horses.

ELLEN: Prayers for Pat being sent up.

I had a fun shopping day yesterday.  Went to Sam's Club, Wegman's, Kohl's, and the local Amish farm and all before noon.  I am shopped out, it's not my favorite thing to do but we are stocked up for awhile now.

Got a real bargain at Kohl's I had a 30% off coupon and 2 gift cards & they were on sale, so I got 3 pairs of Gloria Vanderbuilt jean shorts for $12.59 a pair, they really turned out to be free with the gift cards.    Original price $48, who would pay $48 for a pair of jean shorts?????

I picked blackberries yesterday morning at 6 AM.  Not enough to make a pie but I'll keep picking every other day.  There is something relaxing about picking the berries for me.  I love it.

Have a great day everyone.  I think I'll do nothing today, I earned it after a day of the dreaded shopping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Trudy, I'm with you on the shopping. I don't like to shop and only do it when I need something, look only for what I want, and am out of the store as soon as I find it and check out. My cousins and cousins-in-law LOVE to shop. They have finally learned that it does not hurt my feelings to be left home when they go on marathon shopping sprees.
I don't mind shopping online, but even then, I only look at what I want or need and quit.

The summer heat is returning. Good swimming weather.

Ark, it's such a good feeling when you finally connect with your horse and get the results you want.
YEARS ago, I had a teenage student who had bought a horse off the race track. She spent the whoooole winter walking, trotting, walking, trotting, eventually cantering for short times to let him understand that it was okay not to run. After months and months, she called me to come look at him because she was sure there was something wrong with him. There was nothing wrong with him. She was so used to working so hard to get what she wanted, she didn't recognize it when she finally got the horse she'd been trying so hard to create.
So, you keep working and you will eventually get there. I'm so happy that you have Lori to help you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm

ARK, no the E Verde river is not near here. It's about 100 mi from here. That was a horrible accident in that wash. People don't understand how fast water rises and how dangerous it is.
One time on Jane many years ago we got in one. She struggled in the water but we made it.
She gave it all she had. It scares me thinking about it. She was a tough mare. a great ride and solid. If you're anywhere near water or a wash, run. Those people sadly, didn't' know.They were all from one family. Prayers for them.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

The news was saying that the people caught in the flash flood were out where there was no cell service and no rain, and likely had no idea it was coming.
I remember you telling me about Jane getting you through a flash flood.  Sometimes looking back is scarier than it was the first time.
Not too long ago, I was watching a show where a couple were trying to video a flash flood. They got it done, but had to RUN to get out of the path.  I'd never really seen one before that and didn't realize how much lethal debris is carried along.  Big time SCARY.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 pm

GRAYMARE:
Wow. I hadn't heard they were all from the same family. Crying or Very sad The rest will never get over that. I can't imagine getting caught in such a thing, those flash floods are terrible. I think I saw that video ELLEN mentioned that showed all the debris that came with the water. Scary stuff.

TRUDY:
Good deal on the shorts! I have shopped more in the last week than I usually do and am all shopped out. Annie loves to shop, would go every single day if I would.....sigh....
I hated having to change the format, again, but at least we aren't looking at those photobucket images. There are thousands of these formats to choose from from Forumotion, for free, and this one was the one closest to what we had before that I could find. Some are really awful looking. Many wouldn't work for us, and some were just weird. When I originally started this forum, there wasn't that many to choose from.

ELLEN:
I have to admit, I seem to enjoy shopping online better than in person. Amazon Prime occasionally calls to me Laughing . The good news is, my feet don't hurt while shopping there.
My ride on Areion yesterday was so much better than anything earlier. I can only suspect that I am finally getting a bit better, she hasn't changed much other than putting up a little more with my inadequacies. The first thing I usually do is kick the poor horse in her rump as I get on because of that tight muscle that has given me fits for so long. She just stands there as I apologize Rolling Eyes . I need to teach her to let me on from a fence so I can get up higher to get on her. Ivan does that and avoids the kick in the rear.

Donnie is out of town for work this evening. It has been awhile since he has had to stay overnight somewhere else. Hopefully they get it fixed tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 pm

If I'm looking for very ordinary items, the stores here have a good selection. If I'm looking for less common items, I have to either look online or go to Ft. Wayne. Since I'm not all that familiar with Ft. Wayne stores, I choose to shop Amazon and Ebay, or wherever else I can find what I want. Yarn is a good example. We have no yarn shops around here, so I have to shop online. Fortunately, there are several good online yarn shops where I shop.
My right index finger does a lot of walking and clicking that keeps my feet from having to do the work. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm

The search team found the father of the family that drowned in the river during the
flash flood. So sad.

Where's CB?

Where is everyone for that matter?

It's raining raining every afternoon. Monsoons. Buckets. The areas of recent fires have flooding.
It's all very serious for our state.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 pm

At least the rain will help to put out the fires. No rain. Too much rain.

We had some light rain early today, but nothing more than that. The humidity makes working outside something I don't want to do. I did mow the lower yard this evening.
The neighbors next door east are having a HUGE family reunion this weekend. They are renting two fold down campers, and will have both houses full of people, and some of them are staying in nearby motels.
It's going to be a good weekend for them to spend a lot of time in the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:56 am

That is so sad about that family, GRAYMARE.

ELLEN:
We need some rain here, I noticed my yard is getting patchy brown in places. We have had bits of rain, but not enough to even make the barnlot muddy.

Well guess what I did today? Went shopping... Rolling Eyes . Annie goes home on Saturday, so today we did a fabric store and an antique/gift shop. Both were quite nice! You would like the fabric store, it has a lot of great stuff, including Bernini (?) sewing machines, tons of fabric, and lots of yarn. We bought our other sister some cute fabric and a quilter's mug. The fabric selection could make me dust off my sewing machine. This should be our last day for shopping. She will take all day tomorrow packing her one suitcase Laughing .

I rode Ivan for 10 minutes this evening. It's good for me, it's good for him. Next ride will be 15 minutes.

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 am

Im here, closing taking place today finally, but before we have even signed, jaemi got worse, isnt going to be goi g in on the house with us....kyle and his fiance are going to assume the va loan now. Crazy...but we were getting this place mainly for jaemi to be safe....just not going to be here.  So many health and mental issues....tough time right now.....for our family...specially for jaemi.
We are headed to tx to get our big camper and will be traveling and then spending winter in arizona....
We r hangin tough....keeping on trucking....she will have to hit rock bottom....we are afraid for her, but when refuses help, not much more we can do but she will be in my heart and thoughts everyday, no drugs involved, but lots of other issues that she wont let anyone help with....so sad. She has so much compassion and talent....wishing we could do more....my heart is hurting.
Been struggling to get her help, dont know what else to do.  Been a nutty few months. Literally.
Hot here, do not want to winter or summer here, but were willing to do so to help.
So now we will move on....cant keep hitting our whole body against a solid wall of so much resistance. 
Keep her in your prayers. Ty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:49 pm

CB: Oh my gosh, always something with our kids huh? Get one on the straight and narrow and another falls off. You can't help them when they refuse to allow us to help them. The tough love stuff is tough on us as parents, we hurt when we see our kids hurting and there is not a thing we can do for them. So sad...I'm praying for your and your family.

Our daughter Amy informed me at church that she hates our church, hates the music, the people and just about everything she can think of to hate. Breaks my heart to hear her talk like that. That darn depression really tears a person apart. Her PTSD from the Navy really rocks her world. Plus her divorce after being married for 21 years has been very difficult.

ARK: I'm not much of a shopper either, it drives me nuts. I tried the on line stuff too and that didn't go well either. I guess I need a personal shopper. LOL

A few busy days and after today nothing except the Purple Heart meeting next Monday. Guess I'll get a lot of cleaning caught up the next few days.

It has been so hot...whew July is upon us with a vengeance. Can't believe it is almost August, where has the summer gone to?

Stay cool everyone...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Depression can be a bitter enemy. The person can't see that there is another way to live and that things can be better. There are so many new meds that can really work, and it's so disappointing and discouraging to see the person avoid 'feeling better'.
A really good friend was seriously depressed for a lot of years. She was finally prescribed a med that is little short of a miracle for her. She is "normal" now, and does realize it is her responsibility to stay on the med to be a healthy functioning woman.
I hope that at some point soon, Jaemi will understand she doesn't have to live this way. Peace and comfort is there to be had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:08 am

Travis' family is having a big weekend long reunion. There are 40 of them, and hey have rented two fold-down campers, and have beds everywhere, along with some staying in nearby motels. It started out to be rainy this morning, but later it cleared and was a perfect day for family to play in and on the water. Two batches of chocolate chip cookies have disappeared, so far, along with who know how much else.
They borrowed my jet ski for a few hours. I wasn't at all concerned about it. They would take care of anything that might happen to it. They left for the big lake with a pontoon full of people, a speed boat full of people, and two jet skis with two people each.
This evening, it was a little like herding cats as they tried to set up for me to take a picture of the whole gang together, but we got 'er done. The ages run from minus 5 weeks (not born yet) up to 84, and everything in between.
Sure is a good thing they got their sewer lines connected. Whew!
It's always fun to see a family get together and have such a good time together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 am

Hey, we had a huge pancake breakfast yest w all the trimmings. YUM.

Our mornings are beautiful and afternoons rain.

Everyone have a good day..............

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Pancakes made from scratch or box mix? I found a recipe for scratch pancakes that is really good, but it's soooo much easier to use a box.
Sounds good either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 pm

YUMMMMMMMM pancakes. I could live on pancakes. I do use the box mix, but the one where you have to add the milk, eggs and oil. That makes me feel like I am not totally cheating. LOL

Looks like rain here again this afternoon. There are mushrooms growing in our yard from all the rain we have had this month.

I saw 2 little kittens dashing about in the pole barn yesterday. Hope I can a chance to get to them before they become really feral. Their mother is very feral, she watches me put the food out from a safe distance. She will be 2 and I have never gotten close enough to touch her.

Have a great Sunday everyone..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 pm

For the last 5 or 6 years, we have had a pair of eagles living in this area. This year, I've seen them in the air 2 or 3 times. Today was fun. There were several boats and pontoons around, which I would have expected to keep the eagles from coming too near. But there he was soaring around and staying close to one area over the water. I kept watching, as were several people in the boats. He picked up some speed and made a dive to the water, talons extended. When he rose up, he had a small fish. Based on watching the other spectators, I think he must have landed in a tree to have lunch.
There is just something about seeing the eagles that is so special.

Trudy, depending on how much time you want to spend, put the food down and then sit down some distance away until she comes to get the food, and just wait. Each day, move just a little closer. I did that with a feral Manx cat one time. It took a while, for her to get used to me being there, but eventually she became a really nice pet and liked to be held and petted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 pm

LOL. Scratch pancakes.................all kinds. Blueberry, strawberry, both, plain, buckwheat.

Yum. I froze some.

ClappingHands lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm

OH, we had Vermont Gold maple syrup and every kind of syrup..........
I was sick. ROFL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 pm

With all those pancakes you won't need to eat for a week. hysterical
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Yum, pancakes..... Drool ....I can't remember the last time I had them.  Sounds like a plan.  Too bad today is dieT day here. Sad

We finally got a nice rain overnight.  Our grass is happy.  It has been very hot and dry here for some time.   The lightning last night was fairly spectacular.   affraid

Donnie trimmed Areion's feet this evening, we have a riding lesson tomorrow afternoon.  I hope it goes as well as last week.

Annie is back home and we are alone with several cats and a dog in the house.  Seems kinda of quiet....

Today is Cactus Jack's 20th birthday!!  He got an extra apple with his dinner.  He has lived with us since he was 18 months old.  

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Funny story, Ace and I were on a first walk around 6:30 and he started running up the hill, usually he pokes along and I have to poke him in the butt to get him moving. When I got to the top of the hill by the horse graves he was standing nose to nose with a new born fawn. The fawn struggled to it's feet and fled into the weeds. On our way back the fawn was still there but it looked a little more stable and it snuck into the weeds before we got there. I was so shocked. No momma in sight. I hope she didn't abandon the fawn. I should have had my camera ready but I thought he was chasing a bunny. Darn it anyway...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Awww. That must have been a sweet picture to remember, Trudy. The mother was probably near by, waiting until you went on by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Mom will come back.

We r in tx, hot trip...thankful for ac in truck. Will be quick yurn around.  
Rained so hard in phoenix area, couldnt see to drive, torrential downpour...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 pm

TRUDY:
I read an article awhile back that said mama deer don't stay with the baby much when they are new so that predators won't smell the mother and get the baby. She is probably not far away. It said that most orphan deer babies are really not. So your baby should be okay.

CB:
What is the trip to Texas about? Why the quick turn around? Stay safe out there in the hot!

I had a very nice lesson on Areion this evening. We waited until about 6 pm so the arena was shaded. It was much nicer than in the full sun. Areion was not spooky, thank goodness! Evening rides have been spooky in the past. Our anti-spook device is having Daisy tied in the "Spook Corner" with a net full of hay to keep her busy while we have our lesson. Works pretty good! Very Happy

Anyway, Areion and I seem to be getting better at communicating. We had a fun time doing patterns with circles and figure eights. I rode Ivan for his 15 minutes of therapeutic walking before I rode Areion. He is doing fine. It will be another month or so before I can take him on a slow trail ride.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2017 :-)   

Back to top Go down

JULY 2017 :-)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next