Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: September 2017   Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 pm

September 2017

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Well here we are, September.  I don't know where the summer has gone.  It seems like a topsy-turvy world, so I posted pix of horses from an angle we don't usually see....unless we fall off of them.

I have a funny dog.  He is mostly quiet, very friendly, especially to strangers, and only barks at a few things.  He likes to bark at the horses rolling,  motorcycles going by, trucks with trailers (but not trucks without trailers), and yesterday I found him barking his head off at a turtle. After listening to him for 15 minutes,  I trudged all the way from the barn to our upper field's upper corner and found what is probably now a deaf turtle. Shadow never touched it, but sure let the world know the turtle was there.  I moved the poor creature out of the field and into a wooded area where Shadow can't go.   All barking stopped.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Great picture of Shadow...........he's a happy boy.

Boy, Houston just keeps having more problems.......... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:11 am

Happy September everyone. Ark is right...where did the summer go? It flew by so quickly.

I got my stitches out on Thursday, everything looks good except the big black and blue mark on my face. I can finally brush ALL my teeth. YIPPEEEEEE That was quite an experience. Hope no one has to ever go thru that with their teeth.

The barn kittens are getting friendlier. They come out to eat while I am in the stall. They are much more trusting than their mother who still runs from me.

Here is a funny Ace story. The kittens were out playing in the yard and he spied them. Ace loves to chase the barn cats, never hurts them, just gives them a good chase whenever he gets a chance. He keeps them realizing they need to run when they see dog like animals so the coyotes don't get them. He looked at them, looked at me, I said "go get em", he sat down and looked at me as if to say "mom, I can't chase the baby kittens, it's just not right." I laughed so hard at him. Such a sweet and funny dog.

Prayer for the people of Texas. My cousin was called up to go down and help out. She is a disaster nurse with the Red Cross and may be heading down to TX. Her son lives outside of Houston so it will be a chance to get to see him and help out also. Our local churches are taking a huge truck of supplies down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 am

Ace is a very smart dog.  He knew those little kittens weren't able to run from him.  Very Happy

It's a rather quiet Labor Day weekend.  All the schools have started and the water is colder than most people want to swim in.  The pontoons have been out in force, but not many boats, and only a few jet skis.  Tuesday morning, there will be very little activity at all out on the lake.  When I moved here 11 years ago, two different people told me I would love it here in the winter.  (I had doubts.)  They both said it was good to see the summer people leave for the winter, and then it was good to see them come back in April.  They were right.

Trudy, you have the new AC units for cooling. Do yours produce heat also? I'll be interested to hear if they heat enough to keep you warm. What reading I've done says they aren't all that wonderful when the outside temperatures are below mid 30s.

Last edited by Ellen E on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

It has been hotter than normal here in idaho this summer, and i do not plan on being here for winter.

Want to sit in my chair having my morning tea, 2 huge cuppas! In the morning sun where its peaceful and no kids and their bs for awhile.....
Just want to relaxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Trudy, glad you r healing, my mouth is still tender....have another appt on 11th...ugh.

Its been so dry and dusty here my sinuses r tearing up...
We still have few more things to do here, and let it cool down a bit in our wintering spot, before we can go....sigh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 pm

TRUDY:
 Good ol' Ace, he is such a nice dog!  Poor Shadow gets put in his place a lot with our cats and never offers to argue with them.  I like that,  he is so much bigger than them, he could sure cause problems.  He lives with 5 cats, two of which love him  Laughing .   Spookette and Dorian think Shadow is great.  The other cats, not so much.... ThunderPuff is highly suspicious of him.  Suspect

CB:
 I hope it cools off for you soon.  We suddenly have fall now.  It was cool overnight and only got to 78 today.  Nice.  We actually need a week of warmer weather, with not rain, to get our last field of hay put up.

I rode Ivan today at Pandapas Pond Park.  We went 5 miles at only a walk with a friend.  Ivan likes her horse, Noble, and seemed to have a good time.  No nerves, no sweating, no problems. sunny   Butter didn't melt in his mouth! cheers  We rode 2 hours, the most Ivan has worked in over 4 months.  It was a really nice ride.

Ivan

Ivan and Noble
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 am

Happy Labor Day everyone...

Not much going on here. Yesterday we went to a cookout at our friends house. I actually could chew the steak without pain. YIPPEEEE I can eat and brush all my teeth now.

ELLEN: Yes our units have heat also. We fired them up the other day when the temp was 41 degrees in the morning. They seemed to heat the rooms up nicely. Not going to use them as our main heat source but didn't want to fire up the furnace just yet. I think they may keep the furnace from running continually in the winter and save on heating oil.

I petted a kitten yesterday while he/she was eating along side of Blaze. They are getting relaxed around me and now momma cat is getting closer and closer too and not dashing away if I move around.

Ace loves cats, he was broken hearted when Tuffy and Sassy crossed the bridge. I don't want him to make friends with the barn cats cause they ones he did become friends with didn't last very long. They trusted the wrong dog like critters. Dexter & Tippy would come out and play Frisbee with us every day, then they were gone. Never did find any signs of them. Life on the farm is hard at times.

Our church is taking up a collection for the people in Texas, a couple of the local trucking companies are supplying a big truck to take the items to Texas in a couple of weeks. Americans coming together to help each other in time of need. Praise God..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Great picture ARK. So glad Ivan is doing so well.

Rex and I just came back from Ranger riding. It was really a nice ride. We went along
the edge of a beautiful ranch gazing at the scenery. No people, black Angus, and wild flowers everywhere. Just a lucky day. It's not the same in a ranger, better from a horse. I can't complain as I've seen it from a horse. BUT.

It's clouding up now with a big wind so rain is coming. We are having dinner with the gang
at 5P, prob will be pouring. LOL

It's been a good week end here Good evening to everyone.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Ark, you finally have the horse you've always wanted. In the pictures, everybody looks happy.

Saturday afternoon and Sunday there was a lot of boat traffic. Not too many swimmers, but a few die hards.
All through the day, the humidity kept rising, along with the temperatures. Then a wind came through and brought a rain. Scarlett was excited at the idea that a hurricane was coming. Daddy took the little girls for a ride in the small boat. I helped him get the cover on the pontoon just before the rain hit. We both got in before we got wet.
The wind is blowing the lake flat. We get storms like this now and then; they don't usually last very long. I was planning to make a late evening trip to Walmart, but there isn't anything I need that can't wait.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 am

Wowzer irma! Tried to talk dawn into leaving, but she wont. Why wont people leave when they have a chance. Id be gone to safe ground already, im a coward like that...
We have fires all around us, witin a few miles and then farther out mt, or....

Hard to breathe with all the smoke
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am

If anyone if you have dawns addy, encourage her to leave, ger rv will nit stand up to this storm. People north of her are leaving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:58 pm

CB
 I thought Dawn was still visiting her daughter in NC waiting on her new apartment.  I hope she chooses to go to a secure shelter if she doesn't leave FL for the storm.  A trailer will be destroyed in those kinds of winds.  Surely people will tell her that.   If someone hasn't sat thru a big hurricane, they might not realize how powerful they are.  This one is the biggest on record in the Atlantic.  
 I have been in a few hurricanes, two direct hits.  They were terrible and Irma is worse than Hugo in 1989 and Cleo in 1964.  What a mess.  

We are already planning on getting things ready if Irma turns our direction.   No one thought Hugo would effect us, but it turned and stomped all over us.  

Coincidentally, my mother was named Erma.  She would have thought it was funny to have a hurricane named for her.  I wish she was around to know it....

We had a nice weekend and holiday.  We finally grilled out on the hibachi grill we bought earlier in the summer.  It worked out nicely.  We grilled steaks, the first time we have had steak in ages... Drool

Here is a photo of our grill guy:

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm

No, she is in their old place, rv, in flirida, and wont leave, cant cinvince her. New apartment is next month in nc.

My jessi got sent to ft. Lauderdale for training, she is in a rental car in the traffic jam headed north to ga. I75 is blicked due to 3 large horse trailers and 2 rvs wrecking, she will be stuck. All flights cancelled in florida? Seems a lil early, but its happened so the planes can be fliwn out to safety. 
So now i can worry about jessi and stubborn ass dawn....she says they have been thru them before....but nothing like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:36 pm

I think Jesse will be okay, the mess on the interstate will clear before it gets to be too late. I hope the horses in the accident are okay. How scary is that!

As for Dawn, I wish she would consider going to a safer place, but she is an adult and has the right to choose her own demise, I guess..... Rolling Eyes I personally ride horses who are beyond my abilities. Wink

I may get in another ride at Pandapas this coming Saturday. Lori will ride Areion. Ivan didn't have any problems after his 5 mile walk last Sunday, so I think he will be okay for another ride.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:16 pm

PRAYERS for those in the path of Irma.................

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 pm

OH MY GOSH!!!! I was impressed! Sean D. Tucker flies the bi-plane Oracle. He's 65 years old and will retire at the end of this show season. Good grief. He did things with an airplane I had no idea an airplane could do and live through it.
I took a ton of pictures. I'll try to post a couple of the better ones. Still photos just don't do it justice at all, even though I got some good ones.
The whole event was way more than I ever expected. The show was supposed to be presented for Hartzell employees and their families and friends. Hartzell is a company well known for making top quality propellers. There were 2600 family and friends. They had 4 luxury limo buses to transport people from the parking area to the hangars that were the center of the show area. Robin, cousin's wife who works there, had set up a whole bunch of chairs for us ahead of time. A little before 5:00 it was time to eat, catered by Montgomery Inn, a very well known and prestigious restaurant in that area. You could choose between BBQ chicken or ribs, homemade potato chips (so-so), and home made cole slaw. The food tentS were nearly 250 feet long and probably 75 feet wide and set for all 2600.
Later when it was nearly time to go home, they brought around homemade chocolate chip cookies with ice cream sandwiched between them. They had a bounce house, a blow up slide, face painting for the kids, popcorn, cotton candy, and live music.
The pilots for the show were among the best in the world.
Even though it was a 'small town' show, it was world class. The airfield is just outside the town of Piqua, OH, in the middle of a whole bunch of corn fields. Piqua-Hartzell Airport.
The company is known for treating its employees very well. Robin loves working there, and is well-paid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Sometimes folks with certain problems even tho an adult shoukdnt make life and death decisions, i hope it turns out well, but this is bigger storm, higher winds than ever before
I am afraid for her demise. All i asked is some encouragement from others , thought maybe she would reconsider and leave.
Worried, yes, frightened for her, terrified, dang rv she is in is rotted and not.in good shape from broken water lines, still not fixed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm

CB:
Here is the message I sent to Dawn via FaceBook Messenger:

"Hi Dawn, Please consider moving into a secure location during the hurricane. This one is like a giant tornado and no trailer, no matter how nice, will survive a tornado. CB and I would greatly appreciate it if you would move to a safer place for the storm. We don't want to hear that you were killed during this terrible storm. Your friends love you and want you to survive to live in NC where you can watch your great granddaughter grow up!! Please stay safe. Get out of that trailer....Love, Diane"

I hope she will realize that her safety is important to more than just herself.

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Ty. I am truly worried for her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 pm

CB:
 Here is Dawn's reply:

"Diane, the problem is none of the evacuation centers except pets, but there is a bath house just about 200 feet and it is solid, it is our safe house to go to if the storm gets too bad, there is a sign on the door that it is a approved shelter, so we will be in good hands, and this area has lots of little lakes and we have a canal that is almost dry and can take a lot of water, and I put a call into the management company of the apartment I am trying to get, to ask them if because of the storm they could let us move in as a emergency placement, so I will be ok, I promise,I won't take any chances, they still don't know untill friday, where it is going, the path, thank you for caring so much, I truly appreciate it, more than you or Clara will know."

And I said  "There is no way you can cross 200 feet in a tornado to get to a safe shelter.  You have to either go there at the start of the storm, or put your pets there and go to a human shelter for you.    I totally understand about pets.  I also understand that human life has to take precedence.  Keep looking for a shelter that will take pets.  Please."

and Dawn said, "I will go to the shelter right away before it gets bad,I won't wait, there are still 2 days before we get any affects or wind, I WON'T wait.

Don't worry, I will either post on facebook, or private message after the storm"

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Neighbor Pat has had a rough couple of months. At various times, they thought he might have pancreatic cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, an aneurysm, an ulcer, and bleeding due to internal hemorrhoids. He just told me that he does NOT have pancreatic cancer, nor lung cancer, nor skin cancer, nor an aneurysm, he isn't bleeding, the ulcer is being treated, and the prostate cancer is being killed. Praise God! That's the best news I've heard all summer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Ellen, that is good news...he has an angel lookin out for him

I sure hope Dawn does. Governor is asking all that can evacuate to do so....he says the storm is wider than their state. Wish she would go, take her supplies, dog, and go p

Park out of harms way.
Am on several horse sites, been evacuating horses from all over the state, even north of where she lives.
And jose just became a hurricane tracking irma....hoping not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Irma is big for sure.............scary. We can't afford the massive losses in the SE. Wow.

ELLEN, what a miracle........we need something bright in the day.

We went to Walmart today................I'm exhausted. LOL. Now sitting looking at a field,
TL & I reading, Rex at our feet. Our monsoons are over for this year.

Prayers for the storm to somehow not be as bad as they predict.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm

We can hope so.
Hate grocery shopping, oruces keep going up and up, gas going up and up....holy canoly...

Starting to get lil cooler here daytime, yessssss.

More like fall, but still too warm. Fires all around us, the sun is.s red orb....weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   

Back to top Go down

September 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next