Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm

We can hope so.
Hate grocery shopping, oruces keep going up and up, gas going up and up....holy canoly...

Starting to get lil cooler here daytime, yessssss.

More like fall, but still too warm. Fires all around us, the sun is.s red orb....weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:27 am

ELLEN
I am so glad to hear about Pat's better prognosis. I hope he keeps proving he is healthy.
The event you went to sounded like a lot of fun! Donnie would have loved that. That company knows how to make their employees happy. More should be like them.

GRAYMARE:
The hurricane has really got lots of people spooked. Good. Maybe they will take this one seriously. The traffic getting out of FL is incredible. I think I would find a back roads map. Coming home from the eclipse a couple of weeks ago looked sort of like that, bumper to bumper traffic at a standstill for hours. At least a hurricane wasn't chasing us.

CB:
It is cool here, too. Highs around 70 for the next few days. So what are we doing? Making hay. We are hoping to have it up by Sunday evening. All bets are off after that, depending upon which way Irma decides to go, we may or may not get 1 to 6 inches of rain. They keep changing their minds.

I spent a couple of hours in our upper field pulling thorny nightshade plants out of the cut grass today. We seem to have a bumper crop of it this year in that field. I got 2 huge trashbags of it, and there is a million more of it out there. Donnie has 'fluffed' the field now, so it isn't as easy to find. The horses don't eat it, but it sure isn't pleasant for them to bite into the sticky stuff.

No trail ride at Pandapas Pond for me on Saturday, we will be working on the hay....sigh.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 am

When i said cooler, its in the 90s still....wish it were 70s. But i know winter will be here soon enuf, and i need to scat on down to az for winter.then to tx for spring break in march, then a sliw crawl up the eastern coast to pa. Back to az for wonter months, then spring we will stop here in idaho, and then head for alaska to visit jessi and family. They move there this coming may. Then after a few months there, head back toward az.  That is the gameplan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:23 am

We have friends that won't leave FL either. They keep saying they survived Andrew and will survive this one too. God help all the stubborn people that refuse to leave and the people who can't leave.

ELLEN: Praising God for your neighbor and his great news.

A friend of mine had a bad accident. She trip on some uneven cement at a local restaurant, tried to catch her balance by running forward and fell over a bank and landed down by the river on her shoulder. The ER doctor thinks she tore her rotator cuff. Prayers needed for her as she sees her ortho doc. 2 people ran to her aid and asked her if they could help her and pray over her. God's angels are everywhere. Her name is Carol Watson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 am

Ark, have you heard any more from Dawn? I just heard the Florida governor talking about emergency numbers for people who need help evacuating for ANY reason. He was also asking hotels to waive pet restrictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 pm

I got to thinking about wind forces. We have some really bad monsoon storms
in the summer but I don't know the wind force. I think they're only 60-70
mph but I
am not sure. They're enough to do property damage. With that in mind, I can't
imagine 140-150 mph winds. They say Irma is a category 4 now. Maybe she'll drop velocity
again by tomorrow.

Pray so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 pm

CB, are you pulling horses all those miles? Do you still have them?

Prayers for your friend Trudy. Keep us posted.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Got horses back, yes. They will go to az with us, we will go from there whether they go farther. But we have hauled horses all over the states....they travel well, but if we could, wed sell to good homes, its gets harder as we get older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Texted dawn, she is refusing to leave. Says sge will shelter in bathhouse, this from a person that can barely walk by herself to get to bath house....but i cant say or do anymore.
Done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 pm

ELLEN:
No, I haven't heard anymore from Dawn. I hope she will be okay, but we may not hear for awhile if the cell system fails during the storm.

CB:
I think you have done all you can. She ultimately has to be responsible for herself. I did hear the governor say there were shelters that allow pets, so I hope she hears of one near her.

TRUDY:
I hope your friend will be okay.

GRAYMARE:
Florida is probably set up better than any state as far as building codes for housing to survive hurricanes, but the kinds of winds that the latest hurricane has tops the charts. Hopefully it will slow down a bit before it gets to FL. I was living in Miami in 1964 when Hurricane Cleo went over top of it. The eye went right over us. We were in a neighbor's house because my parents didn't think our house would survive it. It did survive, but our wonderful fruit trees were blown down. There was grapefruit in the streets. As a kid, it was very exciting, the mess was tremendous. I wouldn't be so thrilled about it now. I saw on Google Earth a couple of years ago that same old house is still standing, despite Hurricane Andrew and whatever else has hit it since '64.

Donnie is out fluffing up the hay on the ground. We are having a beautiful fall day, almost 70 degrees, with low humidity. If this keeps up, the hay should be ready to bale on Sunday. The weather guys have shifted the path of the hurricane away from us and into Tennessee. Lucky them....Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I got on the fleet of angels rescue transport site, there are folks buggin out 2 hours north of dawns place, and farther up the line, too. 

Jessi made it home safely, air force evacuated her out of area quickly. Her CO takes care of her.otherwise she couldnt do his job while he plays golf...lol. im just glad shes out of florida and home. They even got them a rental car after airport closed do, they drove to savannah, ga and flew to dfw, and then home to san angelo.
I dont have to worry about her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Some of the trailer parks, resort parks have a hurricane shelter available to the residents. One of my summer neighbors is in Sarasota area. She'll ride it out in the park's shelter. Her son says she is safe. By the time it gets to that area, it should be down to a cat 1.

Does anybody watch Vanilla Ice Project on DIY? I wonder how his BIG dollar flip houses will survive. The current season is showing one now that is right ON the beach and ocean. He put in LOTS of impact glass. There's no doubt that will get tested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Well, at least Irma is a class 3 for now..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 pm

The Florida governor must be completely exhausted. He's been doing updates about every two or three hours. I noticed earlier that he was struggling slightly to keep his thoughts organized, more so than earlier than a couple of days ago. He's been on TV repeatedly a LOT. He's done everything he could possibly do to keep Floridians safe. Now, it's up to those who refuse to leave to take care of themselves.

I hope that as the storm moves across the warm water between Cuba and Florida, it doesn't pick up steam again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Back up to a cat 4 again over 90 degree water temops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

With all the bad stuff going on in the world, it's nice to have a different kind of afternoon. Little Miss Scarlett's baby sister is spending the afternoon with me while Mommy gets to enjoy the noise and fun of the Bears game. The barn is not baby friendly, so I suggested that she could be with me so Mommy gets in on the fun. A change of diaper, and a little cuddling and bottom patting, and she's sound asleep. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I just received a email from my friend at 3;45. The storm has just arrived with winds of 89 MPH supposed to die down to speed of 67 MPH by morning. All is well so far.

George just got a email at 3:35 from his veteran buddy who said about the same thing.

Still praying for them to stay safe. We had a church prayer for all people affected by Irma And Harvey at church this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Trudy, where r ur friends at. Tge goverenor just saud even when winds sliw, the storm surge will hit, up to 15 feet...yikes. i hope they r back frim the beach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:24 pm

CB: They are in Titusville and Orlando. We gave them all heck for not leaving but they insisted they have been thru caines before and have lived to talk about it. Just can't help some stubborn people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:44 pm

I have a neighbor couple who went to Disney World earlier in the week.  We just swapped a couple of text messages.  The wind has started to kick up but they are fine - so far.  I guess Orlando is a little farther inland and more towards the east coast, so I hope they'll be okay.  They will let me know how things are going after the storm goes by.
I have to be honest, if I were them, I would have headed for home a couple of days ago.  The parks are shut down until Tuesday.  I hope the parks can start up again on Tuesday because that will mean the parks and things around them survived in good shape.

CB, what town is Dawn in? It looks like the storm is lessening a little bit now that it's close to midnight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 am

Well I guess if I could choose where to stay during the hurricane in FL, it would be Disney World. Nice hotels, food, and an underground facility that would be good for protection from the storm if it got bad.

Those weather guys are nuts. Trying to stand upright in the middle of the windgusts.... No Good ratings, I suppose.

We have had perfect fall weather all weekend. We put up 129 bales of lovely hay from our upper field this evening. The barn is stuffed for the winter. We are tired. I may need about 60 more bales to get thru until the end of next May, much less than I usually buy. Our young neighbors came over and the husband stayed and helped load the hay up into the barn. Such a cute couple with a little baby girl named Paisley. His help was MUCH appreciated!

Donnie's article on making hay just came out in the New River Valley Magazine, Sep.Oct. issue. It isn't online yet, but should be soon at NRVmagazine.com . The editor is the lady I rode with at Pandapas Pond last week. None of her friends escape her magazine! Laughing

I hope all are doing well with the hurricane in FL.
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 am

Clermont, fl, about a 15 min drive to orlando and disney world. Winds reported 80 to 100 mph in orlando.
Dont know why some have to stay, crazeeee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42 am

I heard from Shirl at 10:44 and nothing since. Their power was going on and off but they do have a generator that they fired up. George's Nam friend did his usual I am a tough Viet Nam vet and I survived Nam, I can survive a stupid caine. WHATEVER My friend from high school high tailed it outta FL with his wife, they went to GA, but both of his sons stayed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 am

I think some of the reporters are adrenaline junkies. One of them last evening was saying it was exhilarating to try to stand in the wind.

I hadn't thought about all the underground facilities at Disney. I guess that would be as safe as anyplace, as long as there isn't flooding. I saw last evening that most of the tall buildings in Miami still had glass in the windows. There was one building still under construction that lost a few panes. They were saying that there were lots of trees down and a few roofs that had some damage, but no wholesale destruction. I haven't heard from the people I know in Florida yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Heard from Shirl at 9 AM, no damage, some tree limbs down, a couple screens ripped up, power on and off but they are staying put in their house until told it is safe to go out. No as bad as they were told it was going to be. More damage from Andrew than Irma.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 pm

I've heard from everybody I know in Florida. They are all doing very well. Travis' grandmother lives in a park model home. She said she walked around it three times and didn't have any damage at all, and they never lost power. Thank you, God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   

Back to top Go down

September 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next