Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 pm

I've heard from everybody I know in Florida. They are all doing very well. Travis' grandmother lives in a park model home. She said she walked around it three times and didn't have any damage at all, and they never lost power. Thank you, God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Saw dawn posted on facebook she is ok, think she is mad st me, so didnt post to me. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I think I must be doing something wrong. Today, I tackled the other side of the closet. My bedroom is now a total disaster. I had to clear off the bed so I would have a place to sleep.
I was getting ready to go to the Dollar store to get some under bed containers and started looking at what I had, which triggered the idea that maybe I have what I need but things inside need to be rearranged. Soooo, took the little bits of leftover yarn, and some full skeins, out of two three shallow containers and put all of them in two big one. Had to empty the big ones to put in the yarn. In short, it's a MESS! I HOPE I can get it all sorted out tomorrow. If I can find a school teacher who wants the yarn for classroom projects, it will go to them.
For some reason, I have a hard time just throwing away bits of yarn, even though there isn't enough left to make anything useful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 pm

ELLEN:
I bet some art teacher will love all that yarn. I used to scrounge art materials from everywhere when I taught. At the time there was a canvas company in the little town and I got their scraps for making painting canvases. Those kids couldn't afford anything. I made beads out of pieces of wire casings from the company Donnie worked at, paint from unsold colors at the hardware store, etc. Someone will love your yarn! Very Happy

CB:
She must be mad at me,too. Laughing

Two weird things happened this week. One was this evening. We were feeding the horses after dark down at the barn and heard a car crash into the trees above our upper field. This happens regularly when it is wet or snowy or leaves are on the road. Then we heard a person howling and sobbing. Donnie ran for the phone (on his bad knee) and I ran up the hill towards the crash. It turned out to be a teenage boy who slid off the road, by himself, and was sobbing and howling about his car. We thought he had killed a passenger..... Poor kid thought it was the end of the world, he had just gotten the car. He was unhurt, his car was totaled. Our poor tree has another notch on its accident belt.... Rolling Eyes

The other weird thing happened a few days ago. I was at Kroger's getting some groceries when a young kid, 12 or 13 years old, asked if I could read what his grocery list said. He was shopping, probably for his mother or grandmother, and couldn't read her cursive writing. He needed cottage cheese and slaw. He was working hard to get what was on the list. And this is why schools should be teaching cursive writing. A kid can't read a list.

Today is Zippy's 27th birthday. He is doing well. rear
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 pm

I know...granddaughters, i write cursive, they have to write back cursive, they learned it but have no reason to practice it.
That poor tree!
Ellen, even a daycare may use ur yarn or a headstart class.
Dawn posted she didnt get the new place? On facebook....thats too bad, but i did think it would be tight on the budget....
Their place in fl n
eeds work, but its rent free..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Ark, I completely agree with teaching kids to write cursive. Their signatures will look like that of a 4 year old for the rest of their lives. That had to be embarrassing for the kid to have to ask what the list said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:52 am

ARK: That is too funny about the cursive writing, I just saw a joke the other day about cursive writing becoming a secret language that only old people will use to communicate. LOL Sad but true. Oh my gosh your poor tree. It must have a target on it,

I have chatted with my FL friends and my friend in GA who lost her power for a couple of days. Thank God they all survived the nightmare that is Irma.

CB: Glad Dawn is safe, she will get over being mad at you.

ELEN: Funny how one chore turns into 2 or 3 once we get started. Good luck with your closet and yarn.

The heat & humidity have returned to PA, it was nice having a few days of cool fall weather.

Our church lost 2 church members this week. A young man to a drug overdose and a lovely woman to cancer. So sad for their families.

We have the big Milton Harvest Festival parade on Saturday. with the Purple Heart and Gold Star mom & dad. It's always a fun time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Trudy, it's so hard to lose young people, no matter how they die. We aren't supposed to lose those younger than us.

I can finally see most of my bedroom floor. Whew! I'm not quite finished, but should get it done tomorrow. I might actually be able to find things when I want them.

Irma finally wrung out the last few drops and today turned into a really beautiful day. This evening is clear and peaceful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 am

TRUDY:
I am very sorry about the loss of your church members. How sad....The drug problems just never end and get worse. Sad
I saw that cursive writing joke, too, and thought about it while reading the kid's grocery list to him. Rolling Eyes

ELLEN:
I think the whole cursive writing issue is so strange. Who thought it was a good idea? And why? I first heard of it about 15 years ago when a teacher friend who started teaching English at an advanced age, was shocked when the kids in her class couldn't read what she wrote on the chalkboard. And you are right, signatures will be a thing of the past, they will all look alike. And no one will be able to read old letters or historical documents. It only takes a few weeks to learn to write cursive, surely that isn't too much time.

We got the last of Hurricane Irma yesterday, it swung back and drizzled on us again. It was a very determined hurricane. Our fields are sure greening up, though. It was nice today.

Ivan and Areion are scheduled to go to Pandapas Pond park on Saturday. Lori will ride Areion, who hasn't been off property in months. Some other folks will join us. If Areion, and conditions, are good, I may ride her part of the time. Hopefully I can get on her, she is so tall and I am not. I will need a handy log to get on her.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:31 am

I am just glad I'm not teaching now. It's been 17 years since I retired. They are doing a lot of things differently, and I'm not convinced it's better. The math scores, state wide, were not good this year according to the ISTEP tests. They have decided the test is bad - not the material that is taught. They are going to try a different test next year, and will be doing it with computers as they have the last several years. Schools have also blamed problems with the computer systems for bad scores too.
There is so much complaint about teaching to the test. My thought is 'what do you want kids to learn?' If those items are deemed the most important, then teach to the test. If you don't like what is tested, then change the standards.
As of when I retired, the powers that be had decided 'complicated is good' and 'simple is bad'. Kids do better with simple.
Okay. This is me climbing down off my soapbox before I get wound up.

Ark, I hope you have a wonderful ride on Saturday. This is about the nicest time of the year to ride trails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 am

We lost another young man from our church to drugs yesterday. This drug epidemic is so out of control. He had been an addict for 16 years. So sad for his family. Our ex daughter in law is a addict, she has managed to ruin her life, our son's life and the lives of both of her kids. She is in and out of jail on a regular basis and sad to say that Ali & Anthony are following in her footsteps. Both kids have spent time in jail. Heartbreaking...

ELLEN: The things they teach in school are appalling. Did you ever try the Common Core math? Good grief, no wonder kids don't know how to do math. Who has the time it takes to figure out one math problem?

ARK: Have a wonderful trail ride. Fall was always my favorite time for trail rides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am

Trudy, I have not been a fan of Common Core right from the start. To have to create three different ways to get one answer is absurd. Too many kids have enough trouble with one way.
Back in the 70s when they invented the "new math", I was a fairly new teacher. The first year, I tried to teach it the way I was supposed to. The premise was that if they understood the math system, repetition wouldn't be necessary, as in timed tests on addition and subtraction. At the end of the year, I would up with one or two kids who sort of understood it, and a lot who couldn't do basic math. The second year, I taught the understanding part for a day or two on a new concept and then said 'do it this way because I tell you to'. I had many more kids who could do it and a few who understood. The third year, I just started with 'this is the way to do it' and had a whole class who could do it and about the same number who understood it.
My question has always been why do we keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Kids were better at reading, writing, and 'rithmetic back 60 or 70 years ago. Why don't we look at what we were doing then?
With computers and phones, kids won't need to KNOW anything. They can just look it up on the phones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 am

Ok, brrrrrrr here this morning....going to be in 30s and 40s at night here now....we have a lil more work, and need to get scooter licenses, then we go to utah for a week or so....then to az to warm weather. 
Trudy, drugs are a terrible thing. Mental issues are also bad, dealing with that with our jaemi.  We cant make her get help, this privacy b.s. just stops ya cold, and she i
s an adult. We have tried,  .......at the end of our ropes. Live in fear one time she just may end her pain...and our hands are tied. Talked to police, judge, lawyer, mental facility....no dang help. Its hard to walk away. But for my own health, i may have to. She doesnt want help, wont take meds to help. Cant get help. Pffft....tired of fighting, been at this for months now. Hospital wanted to send her for eval, but she refused, couldnt get judge to sign order, she didnt have to go. She has tried to take her life, we live with the fear it could happen.  Its not easy getting loved ones the help they need, cuz they have rights.....
Thats my soapbox....getting off now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

Hi,

Our country is failing, it's youth, it's adults and retirees. It's sad for all.
Our problems are overwhelming, plus we're bankrupt. Raise the debt ceiling, that will solve it.
It's scary.

TRUDY, I'm so sorry for your church members that made poor choices. CB, I'm sorry your daughter refuses treatment. This world is wicked and hard for the young.

I'm glad older as I won't live to see the final breakdown of America. I hope and pray
I'm wrong.

ARK, Have fun riding this week end. The horses that I sold to FL long years ago are fine.
So many are not in TX and FL.

God bless.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:49 pm

It is so hard to walk a way from a kid....no matter how old. We have rented our house to grandson and his fiance, so will move onward....my hubby says we have beaten our heads against a wall long enuf.....have tried to make a difference, make her life better...but no can do....i still will live in that god awful fear of losing a beautiful, caring, sick child....it is so hard. So very hard to walk away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:47 pm

CB, that is just so hard. A good friend was seriously clinically depressed for quite a few years. I kept telling her over and over that it was a MEDICAL problem, not a mental problem. Chemical imbalance in the brain. If she was diabetic, would she take insulin? Yes, she would. After saying the same words over and over for a couple of years, she finally began to see it. She was prescribed several different meds that sort of worked. Finally, she was prescribed Lexapro. What a difference! She'd only been taking it for three days when I talked to her on the phone. I could tell by the way she said 'hello'. She was then able to understand that it was her responsibility to take care of herself and stay on it. She will probably have to take it for the rest of her life, like a diabetic would have to take insulin. With it, she is happy and 'normal'.
I hope and pray that you, or someone, can help her see that it is a medical problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Wont come from us, we are pond scum....i hope someone can get thru to her tho. I truly do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:55 am

CB: I feel your pain girlfriend. We have done the same with our grandson, there is just no helping him. And ex daughter in law, I loved that girl, she was the sweetest kid, always helpful and a good mother then our son went on the road for his job, and a so called friend introduced herion into her life. So sad... It just tears our heart out when we can't make things better for our kids and grandkids. As cruel as it sounds there is not a thing we can do for them. We are the enemy, trying to control their, lives not the drugs or their mental health issues. You are right, we have to walk away so we can remain sane for the rest of our family members and our own mental health. Pray for them, that is all we can do. Hang in there girlfriend. I'll be praying for you and Jaemi.

ELLEN: The common core math blows my mind just to subtract 10 from 20 you add 10 to the 20, take away 15, add 5 then take away 10. WHAT??????????? No wonder the kids have no clue how to count. I tried helping my grandson with math once...I was like "what the heck are you doing?" When I worked at the PO we didn't have a machine to calculate the change, we had to count it out ourselves and some people would say "how do you do that without a calculator?" Are you kidding me??? I learned it in grade school.

GRAYMARE: You are right. Thank God we won't be around when this country really goes to hell. I can't imagine life in the big cities. This world is in big trouble as time marches onward.

Off to the parade this afternoon. It is always a bunch of fun, hanging out with the veterans. Wish I had a horse to ride in it instead of riding in the truck. Darn it anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:57 pm

I am off to the Antique Outboard Motor show in town.  My cousins love to find really old motors and make them run better than new, and look like new.  Some of those motors are approaching 100 years old.  There are several that are 70 or 80 years.  They actually do start and run better than they did when they were new.  They get out there with their little old boats and run around on the lake, having a great time - running about 5 or 6 miles an hour.  A few of the "newer" ones, only 40 or 50 years, will actually do about 20 mph.

Neighbor Pat is out mowing his yard this morning.  This is the first time he's mowed his own for about a month.  I've mowed it twice and his younger son has mowed it twice.  I stepped out to tease him that it's about time he mowed his own yard.  He said his wife isn't home to tell him not to.  Very Happy  That made me laugh.  
Actually, I'm really glad that he CAN mow his own yard.  Very Happy

It is now 7 hours later. I hooked up with Cousin's wife, a lady I like a lot. She and I drove to another town not far away to browse through a couple of antique shops. I don't like antique shopping, but she does. We didn't find anything we couldn't live without.
We got back to the park in time to ride the Dixie around the lake. Then, I took both of them to a fish restaurant about 10 miles away and then dropped them off at their motel. It was a nice way to spend a late summer afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:44 pm

ELLEN:
 You had a very nice day!  I am glad to hear that Pat is feeling so much better.  Just knowing what he didn't have must have been a huge relief.  
 I occasionally like to go to an antique shop, mostly to browse.  I think of them as museums.  Kind of fun..

CB:
 I am sorry about Jaeme.  You aren't pond scum and eventually, hopefully, she will regain her senses and know that.  Big hugs....

GRAYMARE:
 I don't know....we may all be around for the big downfall.... Sad

TRUDY:
 I am sorry about your grandson, too.  Drugs have really got a grip on our nation.  It is scary and sad.  Hope your parade was fun!

It was a great day for a ride at Pandapas Pond Park today! I rode Ivan, Lori rode Areion, and we rode with a new friend, Casey and her mustang, Tequila. This was Areion's first trip off property since Ivan hurt his leg in mid-April, and she did very well. Ivan's leg doesn't seem to bother him at all, we even did a little trotting and he had no problems with it. Tequila and Casey were fun to ride with, too! We rode 5 miles.  Ivan and Areion could have gone much further, but I think Tequila was pretty well tired out.  She is 24 years old and I could hear her huffing occasionally.  We didn't trot that much, but she is apparently not in shape.  Cute horse, though.   Ivan is getting back in shape, thank goodness.  

Pix, of course:

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:31 am

Went to a bruneau roundup rodeo that has been going on for 60 years in this little community. Wild cow riding and wild ciw milking were fun events. Kids, probably 30 of em did mutton bustin. Always fun to watch kids spittin dirt out! But they got good prizes, everyone one if them. Champion rider won a belt buckle too.
I didnt like wild horse roping of the yearlings, the colts fell and struggled, i had to close my eyes. Mostly it was good, lots of thrills, lots of riders hitting the dirt. Barrel racers and ropers...good overall rodeo
This is a ranching rodeo, events they do on the ranches...
Nice day, and a pizza for dinner....with family.
Too much sun, too much pizza, i was beat and in bed by 830....gettin old, cant handle any all night poker games anymore....lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Brrrrrrr. Temps 60 and tonight 36.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Brrrrrrr. Temps 60 and tonight 36.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I like rodeo, except for wild horse races. It just doesn't seem like a fair fight. The rest of it is okay. The bucking stock know their jobs and work for a total of about 10 minutes a year.

Today, we pulled the jet skis out of the water for the season. Mine has been hard to start, so this winter Travis is going to do some work on it to improve the ease of starting.
Travis rode his and towed mine. The amusing part of the whole thing was that mine was full of gas but wouldn't start. Travis' started right up, but on the way to the ramp it ran out of gas. He wound up having to get in the water and push both of them to a nearby seawall, then we had to get a gas can and start over again. Once he got the gas, the rest was uneventful. He said the water was a little chilly.

Hey, Trudy! Maks is back! I don't even know most of the celebs are this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 pm

CB:
I like the bronco rodeo events, those horses and bulls are treated well for the amount of time they work. I don't like the roping events, especially of young horses, donkeys or goats. I just think it hurts them. Barrel racing is fun to watch.

GRAYMARE:
It was 79 degrees here today and will be 59 tonight. It's nice and going to be this way all week. Are you riding any yet with the cooler weather?

ELLEN:
I can't believe summer is over. It flew by. That was funny about the jetski's and their gas problems Laughing . Maybe they didn't want to be put up for the year!

It's Ivan's 13th birthday today. I can't believe so much time has passed since I got him. 10 years. He has sure mellowed out in the last year or so, middle age agrees with him. Very Happy He still has his moments, though.... affraid
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 am

Received this from my friend who survived Irma. People in Fl are still having a rough time.
"the gov. is screwing things up. people who didn't get any flooding are getting it now cause they are sucking water outta the flooded areas & dumpin into other lakes so now those lakes are rising. they showed one whole neighborhood where the lake is right up 2 the houses. they are pissed needless 2 say". Our government hard at work making life difficult for people. Never ends.

ARK: My gosh Ivan is 13...Happy birthday Ivan..hard to believe he is the same scared flighty colt that came to your barn. He has grown into a great horse.

CB: I love the rodeo too just not the wild horse stuff. My heart is always pounding when I watch the barrel horses. I find I am on the end of my chair, leaning forward with the rider. You can take the girl outta barrel racing but can't take the barrel racer outta the girl. ROFL

Off to get my hair cut today and tomorrow to the dentist to get that darn tooth filled again. affraid The temp needs replaced after the surgery nightmare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   

Back to top Go down

September 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next