Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 am

Received this from my friend who survived Irma. People in Fl are still having a rough time.
"the gov. is screwing things up. people who didn't get any flooding are getting it now cause they are sucking water outta the flooded areas & dumpin into other lakes so now those lakes are rising. they showed one whole neighborhood where the lake is right up 2 the houses. they are pissed needless 2 say". Our government hard at work making life difficult for people. Never ends.

ARK: My gosh Ivan is 13...Happy birthday Ivan..hard to believe he is the same scared flighty colt that came to your barn. He has grown into a great horse.

CB: I love the rodeo too just not the wild horse stuff. My heart is always pounding when I watch the barrel horses. I find I am on the end of my chair, leaning forward with the rider. You can take the girl outta barrel racing but can't take the barrel racer outta the girl. ROFL

Off to get my hair cut today and tomorrow to the dentist to get that darn tooth filled again. affraid The temp needs replaced after the surgery nightmare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 am

Trudy, when I watch jumpers, my leg muscles want to react as if I was riding. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 pm

I sure dont want to feel the part where the riders hit the dirt!  Rolling Eyes Laughing
Going to moonlight kathys, hubby is building her a porch, and then back here for a doc appt, and then we should be off to sunny arizona.
Utah, here we come very shortly....
Not much is happening here....weather is getting cooler tho....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:30 pm

We are back into summer again, with the next week having mid 80s and more. I thought my AC was going to get a vacation until next year. Guess not.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I came down from the mountains yesterday to go to Dr.........3 mo check up.
It's cool and pleasant this morning. This afternoon it will be 94 by 3P then cool into the evening. It's going to be beautiful for the duration.

Going back up to the mountains for fall colors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Summer returned here this week, too. We should have done our hay this week instead of when it was so cool....although it was pleasant to work in the cooler weather.

I had a nice lesson on Areion yesterday. I was wearing my safety vest and sweated under it as much as Areion did under her saddlepad. But Areion was so sweet and accommodating, she put up with my bumbling without complaint. I think she is getting used to me riding her. Lori is so good at it and I am figuring out everything, so it is nice of Areion not to get upset. I rode Ivan, too.

If all goes well, we are taking both horses back to Pandapas Pond this coming Saturday. I may ride Areion this time....

ELLEN:
That is funny about you riding with the jumpers. I find myself nodding along when I watch someone cantering on t.v. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Did anyone see the finale of America's Got Talent? I was hoping the little girl ventriloquist would win it, although there were several others who were REALLY GOOD too. That 12 year old girl is amazing. Not only is the ventriloquist terrific, but her singing is beautiful.
There were two dance teams that will soon be in Las  Vegas.  Others will be seen as a result of being on the show and will have good careers ahead of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 am

Who won, dont have tv....really miss it. 

Got coggins on rocky today, he was fabulous...stood like a trojan....loaded, unloaded super goid. He and red are good travelers. 

Sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 am

Ellen E wrote:
Did anyone see the finale of America's Got Talent? I was hoping the little girl ventriloquist would win it, although there were several others who were REALLY GOOD too. That 12 year old girl is amazing. Not only is the ventriloquist terrific, but her singing is beautiful.
There were two dance teams that will soon be in Las  Vegas.  Others will be seen as a result of being on the show and will have good careers ahead of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 am

Ahhh...thought she said she was hoping she would win it, i thought someone else had and she didnt want to post results til everyone had seen show in other time zones. Sorry as all hell, i didnt pick up on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: but   Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am

Hmmm, I don't know how I posted ELLEN's post. Sorry, I clicked wrong.

Today is another day.................I won't do that again but what will I do?

LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

In the past, I haven't been to interested in the contest shows. I started watching it this season because there was nothing else I wanted to watch. NOTHING. 250 channels of nothing to watch. They had some loser acts that shouldn't have even made it onto the show, and some that should have gone further. The ones that made the finals were all really good.
There was a group called "Light Balance" that definitely should be a Vegas act. They had lights on their costumes that went on and off in very complex patterns. I have no idea how they could do that as fast and well as they did.
Another group of dancers had huge props that they worked all over and under and around, and flew off of. Again, a very complex program and very well done. They should be in Las Vegas soon too.
The one who came in second was a cute nine year old little girl with the voice of a 30 year old.
The finale was a good show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I found the videos of the cute little ventriloquist girl, Darci Lynn. Wow, what a talent, even without the dummies. She can really belt out a song. I suspect we will see more of her. I didn't see the second place girl do her act, but was impressed with her maturity when she lost to Darci. Good girls.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Ark, look for Angelica Hale. That should bring up at least one video. She really is amazing.
There was another little girl named Celine who is about the same age and almost as good as Angelica. She got to the semi-finals.
To me it is so intriguing to hear such little girls with such big perfect voices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 am

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 am

COOL, ARK.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 am

ARK: Cute fall picture. It sure isn't fall here in PA. 89 yesterday and 90 tomorrow. Summer is late this year, hotter now than July. Have a wonderful trail ride.

ELLEN: You are so right. There is NOTHING on TV, it is awful.

I had my tooth that had the surgery filled. Piece of cake after the last couple dentist visits.

We picked apples the other day and today (if nothing else comes up) we are going to make applesauce. Nothing better than home made applesauce. We didn't put up much this summer, a few peppers, a few green beans and a little corn, then our friends gave us a bunch of frozen corn. They did like 700 ears of corn. WHEW better them than us.

The deer sure were happy to find all the extra apples on the ground after we picked the ones we wanted, they have been gathering under the apple tree every evening. Been watching the twins grow into big deer.

The barn kittens are getting braver, there is one I can actually pet and he/she comes running when he/she sees me coming to the barn. He/she looks just like my Sassy and has her attitude. Bosses all the other kittens around and the big cats too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Travis had some extra cats and found homes for them. One was given to a friend who has a barn at least two miles away. It managed to follow his truck, or the smell or sound or something to his NEW house. Not to where it had lived for a year, but to the NEW house. He's the only one who can get close to it. He'll take care of it; he loves his cats.

Summer has been here for several days and will be here for at least 3 more after today. It's been really hot and humid. In the afternoons when it's too hot to be outside, I've been starting on some Christmas projects, knitted toboggans. Just quicky little hats for kids - just a few hours per hat. And, I'm using up some of the little balls of leftover yarn that aren't large enough for other items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 pm

ELLEN:
Awwww,  I would have a hard time giving up a kitten who came looking for me so far away from home.  He sounds like a keeper!

TRUDY:
 It was 85 here and going to be 90 tomorrow.  Sweat City.  Summer arrived with fall.  Donnie is going to decide tomorrow if he is going to do a third cutting on our lower field tomorrow.  There is hay down all over the county.  It will sure dry fast with these temps.

GRAYMARE:
 How do your horses do in the heat?  Poor Ivan and Areion sweated like mad today, but the humidity was high.  

We took Ivan and Areion to Pandapas Pond Park today.  It was cooler in the shade of the trees, thankfully.  We rode with two geldings that Ivan knew, but Areion didn't know.  She didn't care to have them too close, but got used to  them going along with us.
She did very well, and led the herd on the way back to the trailer.  Only one incident happened, and I was very glad I wasn't riding her when it did.  She caught her hoof boot on a branch laying beside the trail.  It spooked her and she proceeded to leap like a rabbit for about 30 feet and managed to get both front boots off her hooves. The branch started the spook, the hoof boots coming off continued and increased the spook.  Lori stuck to the saddle, but I would have probably hit the dirt.  She calmed down quickly and Lori got her boots back on.  I about had a heart attack watching it.  Then Areion calmly continued on her way, leading the boys, all the way back to the trailers.  whew.....

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 pm

ARK, my horses did fine this summer. Hot as it was, they had plenty of shade & water, good hay, and plenty of grass pasture. They worked very little BUT looked beautiful IMHO.
So, fall is to come. LOL, today was clean sheath day. ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 am

GRAYMARE: There is another thing I DON'T miss by not having any more horses. YUCK... ROFL

Got our applesauce made on Saturday, we still have a bunch of apples to make more, we do small batches at a time nowadays. It's tough getting older, can't spend all day squishing apples. The Foley Food Mill wears old elbows & shoulders out. LOL

Gave our hay ride wagon and all the haunted hay ride affraid items to the Gold Star family so they can have a hay ride for their grandkids. They were just laying around here going to waste now that our grandkids are all adults.

Off to the Purple Heart meeting tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:47 pm

NORTH to ALASKA  !!

Preview … the rush is on!

Join us as we recount our 13 day adventure in August, 2017 when we went to Alaska.  As many of you already know, Carol does a wonderful job with her scrapbook documenting our holiday adventures.  Me …?? … I just use her scrapbook as a guide for my written narrative.

She has written: “2017 was going to be the year with no vacation because of the expense involved with redoing our driveway last summer. However, a good friend and scrapbook buddy and I had been talking for months about going to Alaska. I thought we might plan for 2018 until she saw an ad on TV for a trip promoted by our local Winston-Salem NC TV station WXII, to begin on August 11. The tour included our flights and many activities and sights in Alaska (my last state) AND part of the Yukon Territory of Canada.  This was followed by a 4-night cruise along the inside passage.  The cost seemed high until we checked with other sources which came in higher than WXII’s all-inclusive rate.  Thus, we bit the financial bullet and placed our reservations on March 4.  This will probably be my only trip to Alaska, so I wanted to include as much as possible.”

And thus the “rush” began with preparations and research about what we were about to see.  The tour company … Holiday Vacation … started sending us brochures and other information about the planned itinerary and Carol started her “research” about what we were going to see. The excitement level in the house steadily increased with each passing week. We had done a couple other commercial tours in the past and remembered the good and the bad parts of being in a group.  I will say this … Holiday Vacations did an outstanding job with this one.

Our tour was to begin and end in Greensboro, NC and we were met at the airport by our tour guide, Diane, who flew in from Wisconsin to meet us and conduct the tour.  She stayed with us until we returned home to Greensboro at the end.  Diane was always smiling and really looked after the 46 other people on this tour.  One could NOT have asked for a better guide!!

Carol has done a fantastic job over the years in her preparations for our various vacation trips.  She has accumulated a bare minimum of a travel wardrobe for the both of us AND got everything needed condensed down to a single “carry on” piece of luggage for each of us.  We don’t have to worry about checked luggage getting lost and its much lighter in weight!!  Our bags were packed and sitting by the door on July 30 !!  THANK YOU, CAROL!!

Tomorrow starts our trip North to Alaska, the rush is on!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Aug. 11, 2017 … Day one (Friday)

Our daughter Charlotte and her service dog, Kima were here at the house around 7:30AM to take us on the 45 minute drive to the airport. We were there around 9:45AM for our 11:35AM boarding time. The first leg of this journey was south to Atlanta!! There’s nothing quite like being early for an adventure to start. We each had our Holiday Vacation name badges around our neck!!

As other folk came in, we were able to recognize them by their name tags and quickly became friends with the common bond of excitement and the adventure ahead of us. Our trip also included Wanda Starke and her husband Ron Fisher. Wanda is a well known TV personality for WXII and was in the promotional ads for the trip. We all found Wanda to have a warm and friendly personality. Her husband Ron … well … he’s a great guy too and very funny and quick with a quip.

Our flight to Atlanta was about an hour and 15 minutes … then we had a long layover and boarded at 2:35PM for the long flight (nonstop) to Anchorage. That was about a nine hour flight. We flew Delta Airlines to and from Alaska.

We arrived at 7:00PM Alaska Time (4 hours behind NC) and were met by Jesse, our bus driver just for the day. He loaded our luggage under the coach and then took us on a mini motor tour of Anchorage and pointed out restaurants, gift shops, and places of historical interest. We even had our first moose sighting. It was a mother and her baby.

We arrived at the Hilton and then waited on the coach while Diane, our guide, checked us in and then came out with our room assignments and keys. After telling us what time to assemble in the morning, we were set free to find dinner on our own. Most folk went out, but the four of us ate in the hotel.

The big cafe in the lobby was closed but we were able to get seats in the Bruin Sports Bar on the other side of the lobby. Even though we had been warned about the cost of everything in Alaska being expensive, it was shocking to pay $34.50 for a burger and fries for me and chowder for Carol … and two ice teas !!

Our room was very nicely appointed and we felt quite comfortable. This will give you a little bit of info about the Hilton, but keep clicking until you find a picture of who was watching us while we ate … those cuddly bears are BIG and tall … easily 8ft. Plus tall!! https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60880-d124692-i17480503-Hilton_Anchorage-Anchorage_Alaska.html

Its been a long, tiring day and our bed sure felt comfortable. We will see you around 8:00 in the lobby. ZZZzzzzz!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Rickster, more more1

Very Happy ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Rick, it sounds like a very nice start to the trip.

Summer is gone. Yesterday was 91°. Today is 68°, cloudy and windy. I guess it's time, but I'll take summer as long as it wants to hang around.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

RICK:
Good start on the trip! wavy Did you pack any PB&J? Drool Keep on posting!popcorn

ELLEN :
Still summer here, 86 today, but 71 on Friday. I look forward to the 70s, but sure don't want any colder for a long time.

I had a lesson on mostly Ivan yesterday. I gave blood on Monday and haven't been feeling too perky, so didn't ride Areion much on Tuesday. ( The lady taking my blood did a wonderful, pain-free, job. Last time I got jabbed repeatedly and they never did find my vein. This new lady, Dee, got it in one stick. ) :dance:
Anyway, our lesson went well. We found some training issues with Areion and obstacles that we will have to work on, but she ended up doing everything we wanted. She needs some work on things around her feet and things bouncing around unexpectedly. I accidentally dropped a board on Ivan's rump when we were going in a circle around a barrel with it and he jumped about 2 feet, and settled right down. Areion would have died, or killed us, if it had happened to her. So Areion will have some new lessons.

I am off to take Spookette, our 3-legged/ $6 million cat, back to the vet. She just can't get over her sinus/respiratory problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2017   

Back to top Go down

September 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next