Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

October 2017

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Nancy, it's always so good to hear from you. It does get hard to deal with elderly parents who aren't the same mentally as they once were. We just do the best we can.

CB, I'm glad you are back where the weather is better.

Ark, if Lori does get the new job, does she know anybody who can fill in for her with you. I know you'll really miss her.

It's been a really nice several days here. No frost yet. Today was nearly perfect, about 70° and clear. The tractor started right up, which was a good thing. Its battery is getting old and I am just trying to make it last until spring when I'll get a new one. The leaves that were down on the yard are now dust.
So far, not too many of the leaves have fallen, and they aren't even changing colors much.
The cats and squirrels haven't started building much of a coat yet either.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi all.

NANCY LEE, it's so good see you and know you are fine.

ELLEN, Glad you are having fun.

ARK, your horses are well enough along for you to continue on on your own.
You can do it! You have an arena to keep up your skills.

CB, I can't keep track..............are you in AZ or on your way to TX?

Nothing new here. Today is a perfect day weather wise. I just now sat down
as I got a new couch...........you know what that means...........Moving and cleaning
under and over everything in the room.

The horses are great and doing well. Time to get with it.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

My weekend entertainment this time of year is watching the boat launch ramp across the lake. The ramp was very busy yesterday, and again this morning as people pull their boats and pontoons out for the winter. There are some who back the trailer right down the ramp, the boat driver runs right up on the trailer, and they are out of there. Then... there are others. It takes several attempts to back the trailer into the right place, and it takes the boat driver several attempts to get the boat or pontoon on the trailer in the right position. Sometimes, they start to pull it out and realize the boat or pontoon isn't positioned correctly on the trailer and they have to back down the ramp again and start over. One guy even had to get in the 60 degree water to help push the pontoon into place. Add in a strong wind to blow them out of position, and it can take a while to get the job done.
Travis and I are about as efficient as any of them. I do the car and trailer, he does the boats, and we can load and be gone in about a minute.
It is still warm today, but rain and cold are coming tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:53 pm

ELLEN:
 That has to be entertaining to watch! Laughing   We had a lovely weekend, too, the weather was great.  It's going to rain and cool down, I think tomorrow.  But we had a very nice weekend!

I rode Areion for the first time at Pandapas Pond Park today!  Very Happy  We went out on the 5 mile trail with Lori on Areion and me on Ivan, then about half way around the loop, we switched horses. Both horses did so well with the switch, we didn't have any problems. Areion was especially good when on two occasions, bikes came up behind us and she didn't even flinch. I didn't know the bikes were there until Lori spotted them. No spooks! I have looked forward to riding Areion at Pandapas for a long time and it turned out great! Ivan did a good job being the front horse, it was a really nice ride.  

Lori didn't accept the job in N.Va, so I haven't lost my trainer yet.  The place was nice, but the owner appeared to have some issues, so Lori declined.  This is probably not great for Lori, but it is for me for awhile longer.  We will be concentrating on my rides on Areion much more now.  Today's ride gives me hope that I will be able to take her out on the trail eventually without Ivan or Lori to babysit us.  

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Ark, that looks like a beautiful place to ride. And, two really nice horses to trail ride with. If it is like it is here, that might be one of the last nice days of the year.

It started raining last night and has continued all day. Temperatures are going to be dropping all week. I even heard one report of a possibility of the "s" word later in the week. Nooooo. Not yet.

Graymare, what color sofa did you get?
I'm just starting to think about what new furniture I might want in the next year or so. I went to the local furniture store the other day just "tire kicking", looking and sitting in lots of chairs. I saw one brand that gives access to the seat and back and head rest so that the stuffing can easily be adjusted, more added, or some taken out. That appealed to me a lot.

Trudy, how is your AC/heating unit working now that it is getting colder?
Any more bears?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 pm

ELLEN, my couch is herringbone tweed. light beige, contemporary style w two soft cushions.
VERY. comfy to sink into.

Very nice pictures ARK. Glad for you you don't have to go solo. That said, I know you can.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

GM, i am in arizony...pretty hot still....we r in bouse.
Going to tx by february, maybe sooner.

Do not have phone service in camp unless under contract at and t....pfffttttt. so i play catch up when in town.

Horses r shedding, they dont know what to do, poor boys....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 pm

We have power again after 21 hours starting Monday evening when wind damage caused trees to hit power lines.  It apparently was an E1 strength tornado!  This is a first, there has never been a tornado in this area.  It got within a mile or so from us and we got hit with strong winds and sheets of hard rain.  Donnie and I were in the barn trying to keep run-off from getting into the barn and flood it.  The horses were out in the pasture getting very wet.  I had no idea there was a tornado nearby, we didn't hear it, just the hard rain.  We didn't get any warnings and the rain was so hard you couldn't have seen it anyway.

We kept the barn from beibg flooded and just had leaves and small branches down.  A tornado also hit the Galax area and did damage to a friend's barn and lots of other people's buildings.  Strange day.

Here is the article about the one near us, we live right off Belspring Rd:

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/EF1-Tornado-confirmed-near-Radford-in-Pulaski-County-452862193.html

So we went 21 hours without power, internet, phones and the radio's batteries were dead.  No entertainment.  I had to resort to a book....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Ark, I'm so glad to hear that you didn't have any damage. 21 hours without power does make us appreciate it more when we do have it.
We used to lose power here fairly often, but I think maybe the power company has upgraded some of their infrastructure because we haven't have an extended outage for a long time. Of course, now that I've said that, I've probably jinxed us. My fireplace will keep me warm. It's been cold and rainy ALL day.
I have considered getting a generator, but they are too expensive for so little use.

CB, glad to hear that you are doing okay.

Graymare, it's nice you have a new pretty and comfortable sofa.
I wish my sofa was more comfortable to sink into. It used to be, but has broken down considerably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:59 pm

GRAYMARE:
Congrats on the new couch! Sounds comfy.

NANCY LEE:
I didn't realize your father was still around. It must be hard dealing with his problems as you take care of your mother.... hug

ELLEN:
We actually have a generator and discovered it needs servicing... Rolling Eyes Donnie is going to convert it to using propane, we have a tank of that, and the gasoline won't spoil in the generator when not in use. We discovered several little things we need to attend to for powerless emergencies that will get taken care of soon. A day or two isn't too bad, but we went over a week a couple of times at our old house. We could really have used a generator then!
The day was pretty today, but the temps dropped as the day went on. The mud is already drying up from yesterday's deluge.

CB:
Are you having fun?
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:17 am

Ellen, couches go sour.......get a new one. Enjoy every minute of it. Your weather looks awful, too.

Ark, good grief. Glad you're OK. Tornados are scary.

I wonder often about ROSE. She doesn't check in much. Hope all is well with her.
And RICK, too, both are in SC.

It's still abnormally hot here, in the 90's in the afternoons. It's to cool off next week.

No new news from here......off with the blah blahs tomorrow after the horses get trims.
shoer due at 7:30A.

Big day. LOL

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am

What I would really like to have is one of those generators that automatically switches on when the power goes off. We have natural gas lines here, so other than expense of buying one, I wouldn't have anything to do to keep it refueled. My neighbor across the road has one. The couple of times we've lost power for a couple of minutes, I can hear it come on. They have a small house, so it probably powers their whole house.

This morning is looking more promising. The sun isn't up yet, but looks like there will be sunshine today. It was 35° at 7:00. The trees have suddenly started changing colors, red, orange, gold.... With the first frost, they'll be on the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

GRAYMARE ... I am in NORTH Carolina, and Rose is the belle from South Carolina...lol!! And in the winter time, I catch all the cold air when ARK fails to close her gate Shocked Shocked Shocked

I was out in my shop yesterday shortly after noon ... a beautiful day ... when I heard a really LOUD explosion. The lights went OUT and I surmised that something had caused a transformer to explode. I got in my truck and drove to the house to check on that transformer and it was apparently OK. The power lines run along the road and since we are so far off the road our lines are tee'd off to come service us and the power pole with our transformer. I checked up and down the road and could see that nothing was amiss and checked with neighbors on both sides and they both had power. Carol called the power company and in about an hour or so, they were here to see what the problem was.

It appears that a squirrel had been on top of our transformer and suddenly / quickly crossed the great divide by getting himself electrocuted and THAT made a "fuse" explode up on the pole on the street where our line tees off. The lineman used a telescoping pole to remove the fuse holder and replace the internal fuse. He did that while standing on the ground. The "fuse" that exploded was about the same diameter and length as an unsharpened / new pencil. The fuse holder didn't suffer any damage and was reused.

REDI KILOWATT ... ONE Point

Squirrel ... ZERO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Rick, I'm glad your power company was able to get to your house quickly and fix the problem. This neighborhood had something like that happen several years ago. It took longer for the company to get here, but didn't take long to fix.

It was a more promising day. I decided that after three days of rain, I would make a little trip to Shipshewana. I was out of cinnamon ball candy. So, I got the cinnamon balls and several other things, including a large bottle of red food coloring and four containers of sanding sugar. I use quite a bit of food color in the summer making hummingbird food. I plan to get started making some Christmas cookies and getting them frozen. That place has every color and kind of sprinkle known to man. I've never seen so many kinds. Little tiny holly leaves, hearts, shamrocks, and more.
I found out that a chair a really liked was sold two weeks ago at a lower price than when I last saw it, and it appears the company isn't making any more in that style with all those features. Oh well...
It was a nice drive and not too much traffic so I had time to look around. Lots of horses resting in the fields, now that most of the harvest is done. Those horses truly have to work for a living.
There were several scenes that I wish I could have stopped to take pictures of. There wasn't much traffic but too much to stop.
I came home and ate a ham sandwich made from fresh Amish-made bread and their smoked ham, followed a little later by a huge bear claw. I am ashamed to admit to having eaten the whole bear claw, but it was good.
We'll probably have first frost tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:56 pm

RICK:
 Aww, poor squirrel.  Went out with a bang....  We found a few black birds under our transformer a few years ago who apparently met a similar fate.  They didn't knock out the power, just themselves.  

ELLEN:
 Shipshewana sounds like the neatest place.  If I ever get up in that area, I will be sure to do the tourist thing there.  Too bad about the chair being sold.  I have decided that if I really like something, I had better get it because it will never be there later.  

GRAYMARE:
 How are you feeling?  Do you feel any after affects from your health issue?   Are you getting any chance to ride this fall?  

It was so cool here today.  It has been a warm fall, so a little cooler feels worse than it should.  I wore a sweatshirt over a longsleeved t-shirt all day.   i bought Shadow, our dog, a raincoat recently.  He gets wet and then shakes it all over the house.  He got a chance to wear it the other day when the tornado went nearby.  He doesn't seem to appreciate it much, but he didn't get as wet as he would have and it was POURING.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 pm

It does not appear that Shadow thinks the raincoat is much of a fashion statement. But, a dog with that much fur would drag in a LOT of water to spread around the house. He's so cute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 am

What a week this has been. Contractor finally showed up on Monday, right after George left for Wilkes Barre VA Hospital with our neighbor for Joe's eye appointment. The contractors have been here all week. Tuesday the plumber showed up with one of the new toilets, George had just gotten home from his Veteran meeting. Weds & Thursday I had Barnabas meetings, Friday the contractor was here at 6:30 AM, they poured the cement for the patio at 8 AM and spent the day working the cement. George & daughter Amy left for Wilkes Barre VA Hospital at 10, George had schedule his eye and ear tests months ago and she had to take him since last night was Trunk or Treat at church. They finally showed up around 6 after all the work was finished. It started at 5 and ran until 9:30. I bet we had close to 2,000 kids go thru the line. Can't wait to see the final count tomorrow. Our trunk gave out over $200 worth of candy. We were inside the church this year, so happy about that. Us old girls & guys can't stay outside in the cold for hours any longer.

I need a rest...today I'm going to my friend Dee's house to watch the movie A Case For Christ written by a guy who was an atheist and set out to prove there was no God. Now he is a pastor. God calls the unqualified. LOL Two days of rest then back at it next week with dentist appointment, hair appointment, things to take care of at church, it never ends. This retirement has turned into the busiest time of our lives.

ARK: Get a generator, they are a life saver. We have only used ours a handful of times but it sure made life easier when we had a couple of lights and water. Ours is wired into the house but we have to start it, it only covers a few things. Furnace, well, freezers, fridge, stove and a couple lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:21 pm

It's going to be a very long winter if this perma-gloom (thanks Indy) has set in already. We haven't seen sun since Wednesday.
I'm working on Christmas ideas. I think I'll order some blanks for coasters and embroider the fillers for them. The hardest ones are the little kids. They all have just about every toy they could want, clothes are a total bore for them, and they are too young to understand gift cards - which I don't like to give anyway. The kids are 4, 5, and 6 and all have two sets of grandparents. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 pm

ELLEN, take them to Shipshewanna to see Santa. They wouldn't forget that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm

ELLEN, take them to Shipshewanna to see Santa. They wouldn't forget that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The boys were there last summer. And I think one of the 'grandmas' took the girls.
When I say they have everything, I'm not kidding. They really do.
I might get the boys radio controlled cars. Even if they have one of those, they always like more. The girls already have those too.
Last year the girls got a huge doll house with all the trimmings. They have a kitchen set that has all the pieces. And, all kinds of other toys that talk and teach. They love Shopkins, which are dozens of little tiny characters that will probably be outlawed by Mom about 8 months from now when Baby starts crawling and putting everything she finds in her mouth. They have two tents. If I knit them sweaters, they will outgrow them in 15 minutes. Very Happy
I've been watching HSN and QVC a little bit. Sometimes I get ideas there. Last year they had very flexible tracks for little battery powered cars. The tracks could be twisted and bent in all directions, and come apart to go almost anywhere. Those were a hit with the toddler crowd.
It's fun to buy trucks and tractors for the boys, but they already have fleets of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Hmmmmmmm. How about an educational puzzle? Good grief. I know you have to think of something. Gads. You have plenty of time. Good luck.

hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 am

They all have the cute little Doug and Melissa puzzles in a box. It's a nice little wooden box with a sliding lid. Inside there are 4 compartments, each holding a 12 piece puzzle. Scarlett loves those, even though she can put them together without even thinking about it now. Before too long, Lilah will catch up on those.
None of them are quite ready for puzzle lots of pieces.
It seems that almost all toys have to be educational now. They all sing, talk, teach number, letters, etc. There are even little computers for all ages, in addition to the iPads they learn to use by the age of two or less.
Until I started taking care of the girls, I had no idea what toys are available for kids.
As I sit here, I'm beginning to think of of giant coloring books and a box of crayons for each kid, and maybe a blank sketch pad so they can draw and color whatever they want. Hopefully the 4 year olds won't decide to test the colors on the walls.
I'll keep thinking....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 am

Well hello again.

Just scanned the posts, but the brain doesn't hold all the details!! Aargh!

It was good to see that ARK is not losing Lori yet! Yay!

My father passed away last night, and Dave and I spent the day trying to clean. Dad wouldn't let us clean anything so you can imagine.... took a couple of hours to do the fridge and do laundry, gather a few things up for Salvation Army.

There will be many hours and days ahead like this one, before we can put the house up for sale.

Gotta run.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 am

Sorry to hear that Nancy ... please know that we hold you in special prayers and good thoughts at this time.

You mentioned cleaning ... and I remember when my Dad passed away in 1994, it kinda/sorta fell on my shouders to do the final house cleaning/clearing so it could be put up for sale. I discovered a lot of my Mom's poetry and other treasures that he had held onto. There was some division of his tools and equipment (two tractors, etc.) that came to me and a lot of boxed up stuff. It was AFTER I retired in 2010 (first retirement out of three ...lol) that I really went thru stuff that had come from his shop to mine. I had the best feeling knowing that the old man was with me in MY shop and heard all my laughter / groans / and occasional "cussing" about stuff he had accumulated. I tell you this as I'm sure you'll experience similar feelings. It will be quite a ride!!

I hauled my LAST load of firewood transfer from my farm to the refurbished horsestalls (NOW my woodshed) and this has been a slow project this summer and fall. Last load on utility trailer is under cover and ready to be backed into basement...no need to unload it in the woodshed and then reload it when it gets cooler. My momma didn't raise all dummies Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Be safe / Stay warm / be careful...

My love to all....Rick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2017   

Back to top Go down

October 2017
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next