Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

November 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:54 pm

November 2017

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Welcome to November!  

I love chicken jokes, ROFL .

Last edited by Ark on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:09 pm

ARK, your truck looks as if Donnie should have been injured.. I hate seeing a wrecked car/truck. Just glad he's only bruised. Lucky they have found another blue truck for you.

I don't pull manes short, just even with their necks. I don't like long manes, they're work.
Just regular manes.

No news here. We had no trick or treaters. There was a huge neighborhood party last
Sat evening with bouncy houses, a petting zoo, hot dogs, ice cream, and CANDY CANDY, CANDY. It was right in back of our house. While we were invited, we didn't go, just gave to the food bank. The little ones in the petting zoo were darling.

Happy Nov1st. Brother, where does the time go.

ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I only had three trick or treaters. One was a Shopkins girl, one was Anna from Frozen, and the third was a very small cat. The girls were soooo excited! Well, two of them were. The cat fell asleep. The first two went home with a bag of M&Ms and a little package of peanut butter crackers. The cat only wants what Mommy can provide. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Ooops, I just realized I had already posted the cartoon, so I replaced it with a chicken joke... Very Happy

GRAYMARE:
You should have seen the truck when it was sitting on the tree over the embankment. It was surreal that Donnie walked away from it. I wish we had pix, but Donnie's phone was in the truck and I couldn't find mine at home in my haste to get to where Donnie was. The traffic angels were definitely watching over Donnie.
I bet that party was fun! Halloween really is a nice holiday, just fun.

ELLEN:
No one ever comes to our house for Halloween. They go to the subdivisions or church activities. So we just hunker down and eat the candy ourselves on the big night. We did see some kids at WalMart before getting home. They were so cute! One little boy had one of those costumes that looked like he was riding a horse with his legs being the rear legs of the horse and fake kid legs hanging off a saddle. Really great costume!

CB:
What are you up to?

TRUDY:
What's the next activity, after finishing the house? You sure work hard in your retirement!

NANCY LEE:
Has it snowed yet? ewwwww......

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Ark, I don't know if you want pictures or not, but the police might have taken some before the truck was pulled up, or maybe the tow truck driver.

The only time I've had kids on Halloween have been the two times that Travis and his wife have brought the girls here. There are no kids living anywhere near here. Like Trudy's church, there is one church in town that did trunk or treat last Saturday evening. Last evening, the town fire station handed out goodies.
The last time I was at Sam's Club I got a rather large bag of M&Ms. With only two little visitors, there are a LOT of M&Ms left. hmmmm I wonder what I'll do with them. (heh heh heh)

I like the Chick Ken joke. Good one. ROFL
It's also a funny picture with mare and foal both sticking out their tongues. hysterical

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 am

Ark, whhhewwwww.. thank goodness for guardian angels. Lots of tylenol for sore muscles and hot soaks in epsoms salts and lots of hugs... soft hugs.
Dont have service most of the time where camped....just relaxin in sunshine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 am

ARK: WOW your poor truck, what a wreck that was. Praying nothing comes outta the x-rays and Donnie heals quickly. He certainly had his guardian angel riding with him that day. To be able to walk away from that wreck.

I'm not sure what the next project will be, George is on a rampage to make the farm house handicap accessible, as we (dare I say it?) get older & can't maneuver the steps. LOL We can now get from the garage into the enclosed porch without stepping up, next step is to be able to actually get into the house. The contractor is going to build a sidewalk around the house and a ramp into the kitchen door. A stair lift to the upstairs and a walk in shower. Since we have decided we are NEVER moving into a senior citizen high rise building, we have to fix this old farm house, so we can live out the rest of our lives here on our dream farm.

I had a milestone dentist appointment. Barb cleaned my teeth without using the laughing gas. After I had that surgery without the gas and survived, we thought "what the heck, let's give it a try". I must be getting braver in my old age. LOL It was actually easier without that contraption tied around my head.

We had over 2,000 people go thru the Trunk or Treat line at church. It grows every year. Not one Halloweener at the farm though, all the kids around here have grown into adults.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 am

Trudy, I completely understand about fixing the house. When I remodeled this place 9 years ago I did sort of plan ahead. There are no steps anywhere from the garage or sidewalk into the house, the doors are wider, and I have a step-in shower that only has a 4 inch step.
I might have to have a stair lift put in someday if I want to go down to the water, but I hope that is some distance into the future.
At the time I planned it, I was thinking more of my elderly aunt who never lived to see it, but knew that I might need it someday.
Yesterday, I went to the BMV to renew my driver's license. She took the picture and it was printed in black and white. When I saw it, I wondered where they found that fat old woman for the photo. hysterical The color version will come in the mail in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it will look better. Yeah. Right. hysterical
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rose

PostSubject: The Past Month    Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Nancy Lee, so very sorry about the loss of your Dad. He is at Peace now. Do not envy you having to sort and clean out/

Ark, Thank the Good Lord Donnie was only bruised and sorry about the truck and glad you could find a replacement so quickly.

Trudy, you are certainly planning well and have set my mind in motion.

This past 3-4 weeks have been really rough. My ex, Wiley, the kids Daddy and my dear friend had a serious stroke. His younger brother immediately recognized his symptoms and rushed him to the hospital. Robin and JR rushed to his side in south Alabama and as he was treated and stabilized JR convinced his Dad to move in with him in West Virginia. Wiley is a Vietnam veteran and should probably be receiving more benefits from VA but he didn't know until I convinced him and JR. He is now receiving in-home speech therapy and physical therapy, he is improving, slowly but surely.

My best friend, Lori, had to have her horse, Booker, put down, gut twist and no surgery recommended. Then in the next week her Momma (and my friend) Eleanor passed.

Today, my dear friend, rescuer, foster and transporter, Heather, left for the Bridge after a long and hard battle with cancer. I visited her pretty regular and she was gone within an hour of me leaving today.

My arm survived the second surgery, to remove the hardware, and is healed. Still
swollen, 2 fingers, thumb, across palm still tingly numb and I'm doing exercises but they don't seem to be helping much. Just going to take more time I think.

I am going to ride my cow pony soon, arm or not!

Robin and family and JR and family all doing well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 am

TRUDY:
Our former house that we built in our 30s had a three story tower and the bathroom on the second floor. The house we built in our 50s/60s is on one floor. There is one step going into the t.v. room and one into the front door, but that is it. I miss the upper floors, but not the steps going up them... I guess we could build a ramp into the front door and into the t.v. room if we had to.

GRAYMARE:
Donnie is feeling better today. He went to work. His jaw is still tender, and he is still sore all over, but not as bad. He is a lucky fellow.

ELLEN:
Those drivers license photos just don't get better over time, do they? Laughing i was shocked at mine, too.

CB:
Sunshine sounds good. We had some today, but it has been fairly cloudy all week, and cool. It is supposed to be in the low 70s tomorrow. ClappingHands Lori is coming for a lesson. Hopefully the wind won't be blowing as hard as last time. That always makes for an interesting ride.

ROSE:
That is a lot of news. I am so sorry about your friend, and your other friend's horse, and your ex's health problems... And I really hope your arm heals up fast. That has to be frustrating. You have a lot going on! It is good to hear that Robin and family are doing well! And that you still want to ride as soon as you can. How are your horses? Did you sell the one?

Oops, my battery is running out of juice. Catch you folks tomorrow!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 am

Rose, I'm so glad you checked in. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were getting along. Be patient with your arm. It will get better. It's been 9 months since mine was broken. It's pretty well back to normal now, but I think there is still more improvement to be made. I still have the hardware in mine and for now, I don't see any reason to have it removed.
I'm sorry you've had so much loss in a short time.

Ark, I'm glad to hear that Donnie is beginning to feel better now. Any word on whether they've found a new truck for you?

We have had one partly sunny day out of the last 12. We MIGHT get a little sun tomorrow.

The new neighbors who came to the neighborhood a year ago have a son who plays a mean trumpet. For a few years he traveled as part of a band on cruise ships. Now, he is traveling with the small band for the road show of Dirty Dancing. They were in Fort Wayne tonight. So, his parents and 7 more of us went to see the show. We had dinner first, although rushed because the service was a bit slow and we had to make the start of the show. Everybody else in the restaurant were going to the show too. But, we made it with a little time to spare.
It was a good show, and familiar to all who have seen the movie. The young actors/dancers were good, but they weren't Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray.
Neighbors' son is an outstanding musician. When you are the only trumpet, you better be good - and he is.
I was really glad we went. It was a good show and fun to do something different with friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 pm

ELLEN:
That sounds like a fun evening! cheers I can't remember the last time I went to a play. Glad you had a good time! The movie, Dirty Dancing, was filmed not far from here, Mountain Lake, in the county next door. Actually pretty close to where I go riding at Pandapas Pond Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Lake_(Virginia)#Mountain_Lake_Hotel

They have found us a truck. We are going to go look at it tomorrow morning. It is supposed to be identical to our former truck, just a year younger. Donnie has been haggling with them for the past couple of days and an agreement has been reached. Donnie is feeling pretty good today, his soreness is going away and he is much more Donnie-like. Very Happy

In other wreck news, it turns out the guy who hit Donnie had insurance that only covers $25,000. Our truck was assessed at $36,000. So our insurance is picking up the difference and then unfortunately for the fellow, he will be required to pay the insurance company back. I can't believe anyone would think that he had enough insurance for even one wreck. He is incredibly lucky Donnie wasn't seriously injured (as was Donnie). Other than x-rays, there won't be any medical bills. And the guy probably totaled his car, too. I am glad we don't have to handle this, our insurance company is doing it.

This is the second time this has happened. When the neighbor kid turned his truck loose to hit our house, he was only covered for $15,000. That got maxed out pretty fast, but luckily for him, we did a lot of the work and hired carpenters who were reasonably priced to repair the house. We ended up paying a few thousand ourselves since that kid didn't have two nickles to rub together and we didn't want to pursue it. The joys of dealing with wrecks and insurance companies.....

Lori didn't make it here today, so I rode Ivan in the arena this afternoon all by myself. Ivan was very good. We practiced what we did last week, and got rained on. Since it was a light rain and the temps were good, we just kept on going. We didn't melt. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi everyone. Gosh, bad news . Some kids shot down a drone. I don't know the details
but it was about 10 mi from here. I wonder what in the world kids were doing with
guns. It's just downright scary in the world these days.

ARK, good riding. Good to read at least you can ride. I knew you could.
Glad Donnie has the truck in order. Those insurance things are nuts.

ROSE, brother, you have a lot on your plate. Best wishes through this time.
I hope you can ride a little, soon, as I know that calms you and makes you feel good.

ELLEN, glad you had fun. It's fun to go out for dinner and a play.
We're going to another concert tomorrow night $15. It's at a church and admission is everybody has to bring an unwrapped toy, & a can (or 5) of something. It will be fun. I am excited. I got an erector set and an educational music set.

Bye for now. God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:31 am

We are off to the Veterans Day parade this morning in Bloomsburg. It is always a great parade and the American Legion feeds us sit down lunch after the parade. Our friends Rick & Karen (the Gold Star parents) are going with us this year. So is daughter Amy (who is a Navy Vet), plus our Purple Heart chapter members. It's great to honor the Veterans with a parade.

ARK: You were smart to build one floor, never really gave it a thought 25 years ago when we bought this lovely old Victorian farm house. We can move the bedroom downstairs if need be but there is no room for a main bath or closets downstairs so a chair lift is what we are going to do. Funny how priorities change as we get older. My gosh who only carries $25,000 insurance? You can hardly purchase a truck for under $30,000 nowadays. Hopefully your insurance payments won't increase after they pick up the balance.

ROSE: What a trying month you had. Gosh, that is awful.. Wiley can get a lot of help from the VA, but you have to fight and not let them scare you away. If you can locate a Service Officer in the DAV or VFW or MOPH, they can be a great asset in helping him acquire the health services he deserves. Thank him for his service from me & George. Big hugs to Lori on the loss of her Mom and her horse. And you too. (((ROSE))) Hang in there your arm will get better it just takes us a little longer to heal than it used to.

God bless everyone. Have a wonderful weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:47 pm

IT'S BREEDERS' CUP DAY! Yippee!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rose

PostSubject: So it Goes, On and On!   Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm

TRUDY, I sure agree on not being scared off or down by VA.  Thankfully I have had excellent care by VA (saved my life) and still provide me care.  Wiley is very fortunate in that his primary caretaker and care giver is our son, JR, who is his Mother's son when it comes to persistence (okay, stubbornness).  He (Wiley) will get everything he deserves.  Very Happy   Lori is handling all her heartache so well, proud of my friend.  She is already looking at a AQHA gelding, 8 yo bay.  Frost has been manhandled and jerked around so now he just needs calm handling, love and groceries.  Lori will provide all that and then some.  My dear friend, Heather, who's been battling Cancer for 3 years is still comatose at Hospice House in Florence.  Nothing but morphine and oxygen since Thursday morning.  Her breathing is now super shallow and slow, will not be long till she goes to Heaven.  Heather is a couple months younger then me.  Praying for a swift and easy passage.

Last night my friend Nikki, of Gypsy breeding and many Gypsy horses, called to see if I would come this morning to help her hubby, James, send his boy, Foxx (30 yo w/cancer) over the Bridge.  I have sold my Gypsy cross, Inky, and was going to be there for his gelding so naturally I said yes.  Thank you God for my good health, my family's and my animals cause I'm really over these tragic times😢

On a brighter note, even tho my arm isn't improved much I'm going to ride my cow pony very soon.  He's super gentle and sweet so should be fine and I'll have either or both Lori and Robin with me.  Not enough bubble wrap available so I'll just be careful! wavy

CB, hope you are enjoying the sunshine!

hug ARK, ELLEN, GM, TRUDY, thanks for the encouragement!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rose

PostSubject: Ooops!   Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Sorry gang, it was another friend, Heather, who had passed earlier. Not the one in Hospice now. Sorry about the confusion. My brain may be just a tad addled!!!!

ARK, how does anyone get insurance for only $25K. Geez I thought the minimum was 100K????
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 pm

It was a safe day of racing. Thank goodness. But, the long shots did well today. Only two favorites managed to win. One of the long shots was 60:1. Would have been fun to have $10 on that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:14 pm

What a miserable, rainy, foggy, dreary day!  It's been like this for the entire day.  It's raining so hard the water level is coming up quickly.  Satellite TV isn't worth too much because of the heavy cloud cover and rain.
More and more leaves are falling, but they'll just have to lie there until there is a dryer day.

Travis' little rowboat has filled with so much water that it has capsized, with the motor on it.  Only the tie ropes are keeping it from sinking completely.

A little later: Travis was able to get the little boat mostly emptied of water and says he'll have the motor running again in just a little bit. It's a good thing he's a good mechanic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 pm

ELLEN:
 I actually watched the Breeders Cup, for once.  Since I didn't know any of the horses, I picked the pretty grey one whose odds were 70 to 1.   He came in last Laughing .  Picking horses by color never seems to work for me.  Rolling Eyes
 Your weather is headed this way.  It was pretty this afternoon, but going to rain tomorrow.

ROSE:
 Oh, good! I didn't know you had sold your first pony.  Good job!  I know you are itching to get riding, I hope it is soon.  

I have pix of our future truck.  It looks nearly identical to the demolished one, but has a few extras we wouldn't have picked out on purpose, but will enjoy.    The paperwork has to be finished with the insurance folks before we can get it, but shouldn't take too much more time.  Donnie seems pretty happy to be getting his truck back, or its twin anyway.  

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Ooooo. Pretty truck! Extras are always fun. I hope the paperwork doesn't take too long to finish up. Now that you have it all picked out, it would be hard to wait.

Watching the races yesterday should be enough to convince almost anybody not to bet more than $2 on any of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:00 pm

I watched the rerun of the Breeders'Cup..............didn't see anything like Pharaoh.

Boring morning here, overcast (which is a good thing), and going to Costco.........
I don't want to go, but it's time to stock up.

So, I'll check in later. Bye for now.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Donnie, nuce truck, enjoy!

I have service, in oarker az, grocery shopping. Then next week we head to tx to help out with harper....her daddy is still in england tdy.
Ill have phone service there, yay!

Kyles deployment has a few more weeks and he will be stateside again. Hes happy!

Hugs for y'all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 am

The Veterans Day parade was a good one although it was cold and not too many people turned out on the streets to watch. So sad about that, if it was the Santa parade the streets would be packed with people. There were horses in the parade this year, one of the horses slipped and fell down on the asphalt and couldn't get his feet under him. Why would someone bring a horse with NO shoes to a parade in town? GRRRRR irresponsible horse owners. George was glad I was at the coffee station getting coffee and missed that fiasco, I might have said something mean to the guy riding the horse. The firehall made us lunch and the Boy Scouts served us. They were so cute, trying to be waiters. LOL There was a 99 year old Veteran at the table next to us, in his uniform. God bless him.

I HATE this stupid time change, I can't get a handle on it and was up extra early this morning.

ROSE: Good to hear that you have the VA under control, they scare so many Vets away with their tactics, it's hard to make the guys understand that they can't give up and have to keep fighting for their benefits.

ARK: What a beautiful new truck. Donnie could do a commerical for the safety of that truck after the horrific wreck he was in and survived with only a few bumps and bruises.

Off and running early this morning. Bible study then a trip to the hospital to see a friend who is having knee replacement surgery today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   

Back to top Go down

November 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next