Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

November 2017

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 am

Ark, what a great morning. I weighed in 10 lbs less today than I did last week.

lol! ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Graymare, are you selling waterfront lots in the Mojave? Or assorted bridges in New York?
hysterical ROFL lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:34 pm

No. Lakefront land that is really swamp land....................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

My scales lied to me today. They said I'd found about 3 pounds over the weekend. It just has to be a lie. Doesn't it? shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 am

GRAYMARE:
 Congrats on your weight loss this week! wavy   We should have set our scales back much sooner.  Very Happy  

Our health insurance is running a competition to get employees and families to lose weight over the holidays.  Last year I gained a pound.  Rolling Eyes   Is this an unfair thing to do during the holidays or what?  

I had a really fun lesson with Ivan and Areion last Saturday.  We did pretty well, although got off to a stumbling start trying to figure out how to hold a rope in one hand and guide Ivan with the other hand.  We always use direct rein and this was somewhat like neck reining (if you never did neck reining and didn't know the  difference.)  Anyway,  Ivan and the rope had to stay close to Areion with Lori holding the other end of the rope.  It was a lot of fun, but we won't win any synchronized riding competitions for awhile.  

Tomorrow we are hauling the horses to Pandapas Pond Park.  If Areion is as good as she has been lately, I will probably ride her for half the distance.  

Anyone get any good shopping deals over the weekend?   We bought a video at Walmart on Friday after the crowds had gone away.  That was the big deal for us.   I did order Areion a pair of hoof boots for her rear feet at a 25% discount.  Not bad!  Both horses will have a complete set of EasyCare Gloves.  So far the boots are working out well on their front feet.  Pandapas is pretty rocky in some areas.  Ivan has pretty tough feet, but Areion seems to get a little tender if she goes barefoot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:55 am

ARK - I haven't forgotten about sending the saddle pics. Got all ready to go and hit SEND but keep getting ERROR message. Maybe I have a wrong address? E-mail me, please -- and I will try again when less frustrated.

Anybody ever tried to contact AMAZON?? Sheesh. Ordered three books that their tracking order said had been sent in two packages, but only one package, containing two of the three books, arrived. AND one of the two books that did come was listed as having been sent in the package that didn't come. The third book remains floating out there in the void somewhere at my $13.08 expense. Try putting all that in their "check one" format! Or, for that matter, try finding their format! Double sheesh.

I've given them tons of business. They should treat me better...Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

$%^#&*@&*!!!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 am

ELLEN: Yes, Stacy got his money back, the bank had held the transaction up and didn't process since it seemed so strange to them. Thank God. Things are going crazy, now we have to go back to using cash after years of being taught to use those bank cards. Someone hacked my Chase card last year for $10 in Texas, but Chase caught it right away and called me. They said people try a small amount to see if they can get away with it then they really slam the cards.

We got a new Christmas tree yesterday at Lowe's. It was on sale and we got the Veterans discount on it too. It's wild. It has a remote that turns on all the lights, only the colored lights, or only the white lights. Saved almost $100 on the tree. It went up so easily and we didn't even get into our usual Christmas Tree tussle. Hooray. We bought a rolling tree bag to put it in after Christmas. A stress free Christmas Tree adventure. YAHOOOOOO :dance:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 am

Just hangin out, helping to lay new flooring at jessis....quiet...

Weather has been tshirt weather...nice. cant complain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:59 am

BEECH
 I sent you and email and didn't get a bounce, so I hope you got it.  No rush, though.  Winter has just begun.  Lori has taken a job over the winter, so our riding times will decrease until daylight returns in the afternoon.  
I have decided to look for a saddle repair person, I  think there may be one in Roanoke, to see if I can get my leather Whippy saddle's stirrup hangers changed so that my leg hangs more straight down.  The stirrups hang forward and make it hard to post a trot for any distance.  If I can get the stirrup leathers' hangers changed, I won't need to buy a new saddle.  It really is a comfy saddle, it is too bad it puts me in a 'chair' seat.  I am not sure this is even possible.  The Whippy Co. saddle, from England,  is set up as an endurance saddle with all the rings, deep seat, and cushy feeling.  I got it years ago from a former tack shop owner who had it for years and kept it in her closet except when she took it out to clean it up.  It was brand new, never used, perfect condition, and probably 20 years old when I got it.  They don't make them anymore.  I hope I can retrofit the stirrup hangers.

TRUDY:
  Congrats on the new and improved Christmas tree! wavy   I don't think I have ever heard of remote control lights on a tree.   My sister,  Vicki, got three predecorated Christmas trees from Amazon that came in boxes about the size of a pizza box.  She said it popped up in about 10 seconds and she was done. Laughing   One is 7 feet tall and the other two are 4 feet tall.  She likes forests in her house.  

This evening I have joined the modern world.  Donnie got me a smart phone that actually works inside my house! wavy    I am getting rid of my former cell phone that only worked everywhere in the world except in my house and getting rid of my house phone.  The house phone is no longer a land line, it was connected to the cell system when Verizon gave up on maintaining our phone wires around here.  So we pay land line prices, but don't have a phone that works when the power goes out anymore.  It will be history soon.    

Lori and I took Ivan and Areion to Pandapas Pond Park today.  We rode between 5 and 6 miles, mostly walking, but some trotting.  I rode Ivan until the last 1 1/2 miles, then switched to Areion.  We got along really well!  Last time we rode that particular part of the trail, Ivan whacked my knee into a tree, so I was careful about that today.  That set my hip issue back a month.  Rolling Eyes   Both horses did well today, no spooks, no issues.  It was really pretty, high 50s, and no wind today.  It was a good day!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

More and more people are getting rid of landlines. When I moved up here 11 years ago, I decided to try just making do with a cellphone. So far, I haven't seen any need to add a landline. The house is wired for it, but I don't see it ever being used.

Looks like you had a beautiful day for a ride. I always enjoyed fall riding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:31 pm

ARK - No e-mail from you, and I have tried and tried to send off just one pic and now my e-mail isn't working at all! One of us (the computer and I, that is) is going to blow a gasket. My e-mail is newfieldme@metrocast.net if you want to try to send me yours again.
On the other hand, after I finally found a place to insert words rather than clicks, Amazon responded within 15 minutes (and that was at midnight my time!) to say that another copy of my missing book should arrive tomorrow. I told them I would be bathing deep in full satisfaction if that happened...

Oh, boy, do I envy you those rides of yours! What a wonderful sight! ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm

I seem to be really jinxing myself. My address should not be in upper case. It's newfieldme@metrocast.net.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Hmmmm...I don't know what's going on...I quit.. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Cant help it, in giggling here, Beech.

Pretty quiet, just doing sime projects to get kids house ready to go on market

Going xmas shopping on friday....

Putting horses back on the market, maybe some kids will get good xmas presents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 am

BEECH:
I have seen this forum capitalize some words, too. Strange, but I don't know how to stop it. Don't worry, the email should work this time. Sorry this has been such a hassle to get pix sent!
I wish you could ride along with me, it was such a good day yesterday. Areion has opinions, but has been nice about not expressing them much while I have been riding her in recent times.

CB:
Hopefully your horses will find nice kids for Christmas. How is your hubby feeling these days? You haven't said lately. Are you settled down for the winter now?

ELLEN:
What are you knitting or sewing on for Christmas this year? I am thinking about making a mohair girth for my horses. I have mohair left from my goats, and my spinning wheel has been sitting around for years. It needs a job. So I am busy researching how to make make a mohair girth. There are youtube videos out there for everyone's weird hobbies...

RICK:
My new dishwasher is sitting in the livingroom. My new-ish microwave has migrated to the kitchen counter, the old one is still in place. But I have a new phone that actually works!! :-)

The weather has been wonderful. I think it was 62 today. I could live with this all winter.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 am

This is the year of the coaster. I am out to eradicate water rings on all furniture. hysterical Actually, those will be just small gifts for people I want to remember, but not spend a lot. I found a place where I could get the coaster blanks.
I just finished a stocking for Nora, Scarlett and Lilah's baby sister. The knitting was done a couple of months ago; today I got it lined and put a design on it. Another lady wants me to put a name on a stocking for her. The way she wants it won't take very long.
I'm buying other gifts this year. Thank you, Amazon and Walmart.

You're right. There is a video out there for almost everything. It helped my cousins and a cousin-in-law fix my dryer last summer. Instead of a $100 repair call, it cost me $7.98 for a belt.

I'm hoping to get all the gifts arranged by the end of the weekend, so I can work on the tree next week.

I will eventually get pictures of my saddle for Lori, but Christmas activities have a slightly higher priority right now. I want to clean the saddle again before I take pictures. I clean it every now and then, even though it hasn't been used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:30 am

Oh boy, ARK, I'm ready to shoot myself.

I opened up my e-mail service and, bingo, it looked like the message with the saddle pix I'd been trying and trying to send to you got sent. But, just to be on the safe side, I worked up another message with some more photos, and, double bingo, not only will the system not send it, but, as before, trying to send it locks up the whole e-mail system. So I can't even e-mail you to say this.

Stop laughing, CB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm

So sorry Beech, i wont anymore... Laughing....promise. sounds like my luck using my phone which is lots smarter than me... Neutral 

Giggle....giggle....so sorry.....just one of those days .....

Last nite odie the bulldoggie bit teddy the puppy...right under the eye....man i thought the eye was gone, was so upset. That pup screaming bloody murder brought jessis neighbors out....it was loud! affraid  but after cleaning the blood, just a tiny mark....and the eye looks fine...thank goodness. He spent the night cuddled to my back, and odie got banished until 3 am and then let back in the camper where it was warm, down in mid 30s last night.  Kind of crowded having four dogs, rescued the 2 little ones, wanted to find good homes, but i think its too late. Rolling Eyes
Such is my life, its gone to the dogs...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

BEECH
 Thanks for sending the saddle pix!  The saddle is lovely.   I am sorry it won't fit my wide ribbed horses.   Keep us updated on your porch!!  Sounds nice.

ELLEN:
So are you sewing the coasters or what? Good idea for gifts.

CB:
 Yikes.  Dog wars.   We have occasional cat wars here.  The one and only dog tends to behave himself and keeps out of the cat wars.   Kumquat doesn't appreciate Spookette,  Dorian GrayCat tends to beat up on Spooky and Spookette,  Kumquat will shriek at the top of her lungs while sitting in the window if Dorian is sitting outside the window.   ThunderPuff stays pretty much out of the cat wars except for chasing Kumquat around now and then.  

Donnie is soooo proud of his outdoor cat, Dorian GrayCat.  They are working together getting rid of rats who are tunneled under the chicken house.  Donnie traps rats,  Dorian catches them without a trap.  The other night, Donnie and Dorian were checking out the rooster pen and found two rats inside with the roosters.  The rats dashed past Donnie and one landed right in front of Dorian.  That was a big rat mistake that it will never make again.  We know Dorian has caught at least three rats so far and Donnie has trapped another three.  Donnie hauls them away to a forested area a couple of miles away.  Dorian eats them.  The smart rats jump in the trap...

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Cricket the Cat, got in some kind of a fracas and lost. He has an open wound about an inch and a half long and an inch wide. Travis took him to the vet and got some antibiotics, but that was about all that can be done. He'll heal eventually.

As for the coasters, I found some clear acrylic coasters that allow you to put in an insert, then press cork into the bottom. I put together some designs that will be put inside. https://allstitch.net/product/acrylic-embroidery-blank-coaster-wcork-base-3953.cfm
At the moment, I'm waiting for a Clover Iron to get here, so I can attach the iron-on backing to the fabric in tiny places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Ark, I just sent pictures of my saddle to you.  I had to reduce them in order to send them from my phone, so I hope they come through big enough to see them well.
If there is anything else Lori would like to know about it, just let me know.

It has been a gorgeous fall day today, bright and sunny, and nearly 50°.
Other than one gift, all my shopping is done. WOOHOO!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 pm

ELLEN:
Got the pix, thanks! It looks like a very nice saddle. I do need to know two things. First, do you know what size the tree is? Since her horse has outgrown her saddle, I am guessing she needs a wide tree. Second, you need to tell me how much you want for the saddle so I can pass it along to Lori. I will forward the pix and info to her. Thanks!

Poor kitty....I wonder what could have caused an inch wide wound? Could he have been hit by a car? Keeping the wound from healing on the outside before healing on the inside will be the big problem. Cats are so prone to abscesses due to that. I hope he heals up perfectly.

Time to change the calendar! Be back in a minute......
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Okay, to get to December 2017 go to:

http://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t75-december-2017#9913

or click on "Basket" and then on December 2017.

November is now locked.....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   

Back to top Go down

November 2017
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5