Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

November 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 am

The Veterans Day parade was a good one although it was cold and not too many people turned out on the streets to watch. So sad about that, if it was the Santa parade the streets would be packed with people. There were horses in the parade this year, one of the horses slipped and fell down on the asphalt and couldn't get his feet under him. Why would someone bring a horse with NO shoes to a parade in town? GRRRRR irresponsible horse owners. George was glad I was at the coffee station getting coffee and missed that fiasco, I might have said something mean to the guy riding the horse. The firehall made us lunch and the Boy Scouts served us. They were so cute, trying to be waiters. LOL There was a 99 year old Veteran at the table next to us, in his uniform. God bless him.

I HATE this stupid time change, I can't get a handle on it and was up extra early this morning.

ROSE: Good to hear that you have the VA under control, they scare so many Vets away with their tactics, it's hard to make the guys understand that they can't give up and have to keep fighting for their benefits.

ARK: What a beautiful new truck. Donnie could do a commerical for the safety of that truck after the horrific wreck he was in and survived with only a few bumps and bruises.

Off and running early this morning. Bible study then a trip to the hospital to see a friend who is having knee replacement surgery today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am

Ark, Trudy is right. That would be a great commercial. Wrecked truck, uninjured owner, new truck just like it. Did you show the pictures of the wrecked truck to the dealership?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 pm

We r packing to go to san angelo...will leave here in a few days.

Commercial or not, just so glad hes ok.

Not much shakin here....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Well durn, Lori and I had scheduled to ride in a big trail ride at Lee State Park, till I saw the weather forecast for Saturday morning, 35 degrees!  Nope, natta, I can and will do a light rain or even a little snow, but cold is not for me so we will be riding around her place when it warms to 55 Saturday afternoon!  And I'll be riding my brand spanking new Circle Y Ladies Flex Tree Trail lightweight saddle with a plush padded seat and padded endurance stirrups!  

I do wish I could post the pics of my old (2014) CRV after my wreck, maybe I'll send them to ARK. Even with my arm and many bumps and bruises and beat up knees and a broken big toe, I am blessed to still be here.  Honda's safety design is awesome and I can totally empathize with Donnie!  And the very reason I bought a 2015 CRV!!!!

CB, I'm happy you are going to follow the Sun and warmth!

TRUDY, sorry there wasn't a bigger turnout for the parade, but I do understand an aversion to the cold.

ELLEN, who do you think is going to win the big prize at Homestead/Miami?  I don't watch all the races anymore but I'm sure pulling for Martin Truex Jr.  He deserves the Championship.  And he is humble and sincere!

I've got a pot of Anasazi beans cooking for supper and my they smell soooo good!  Honey cornbread with it, yummy!

More later!  Hugs all around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Rose, you're right about Truex deserving to win the whole thing this year. He's won several races and has been close in most of them. "My guy" got taken out last week - Kyle Larson. I like that kid. I like Chase Elliot too, and he got robbed of his first win.
I know it's 'legal' to bump and run, but I don't like it when one of them intentionally takes out somebody. I'll be watching this weekend to see who goes on.
I'm looking forward to seeing how William Byron does in the cup series next year. He's really been consistent this year in Xfinity, and really did well in the trucks before.
There are several young guys coming up that are going to leave their mark on NASCAR. It will be fun to watch.
I hope you have a good ride this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Ark, where are you? We haven't heard from you since Sunday. I hope you are out driving around in your new truck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Nascar is in PHX this week end.................. shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Phoenix is a nice track. There is a convenient small mountain right beside the track that makes a good place to be to watch the whole race.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 pm

ELLEN, I've been there but it's too loud for me. Not my thing. They've remodels the grounds and they are really nice...They're also in the middle of a big expansion..........
Many motor homes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 am

I have never actually attended a NASCAR race in person, but I know it is really loud. Most people put headphones on themselves and their kids to protect their ears. 33 to 40 of those 800 horse power motors with little muffling are deafening - literally.
When I still lived in Speedway, a mile from the track, I could hear the cars very clearly when they ran practice laps. I could also hear the dragsters that were about 4 miles away.
To be honest, I'd rather watch the races on TV because you get to see the whole track instead of just one small section of it, and I can turn down the volume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 am

ELLEN:
Oh, sorry. I wish I could say I was having fun all week...but, no.... Rolling Eyes I had the dreaded colonoscopy on Wednesday, so Tuesday I starved and Wednesday I suffered. I know what a poor horse with colic feels like now. The results were good and I don't have to go back for 10 years. Then today I was a slug and didn't do anything I didn't have to. I feel much better now. Donnie has been sweet and doing lots of things for me, but I am back in action now.

Tomorrow morning, Friday, we are picking up the truck! The checks have all arrived and should be cleared tomorrow, the insurance and DMV stuff is all arranged. We are ditching the rental car and driving back in the new truck at 8:30 a.m. ClappingHands

I told Donnie what you all said about him telling the car company about his wreck and buying an identical vehicle. He said he would think about it. Rolling Eyes i think he is having flashbacks of the wreck. His neck is still sore and various other muscles are, too, but physically he is okay for the most part. He has been reading up on rollover wrecks and the general consensus is that most people die in them. That went over well.... Hopefully he will get over this once he has the new truck that is so similar to the one he liked.

ROSE:
Send me the photo and I will post it for you. I am so glad you had a safe car!

CB :
Drive safely!

GRAYMARE:
There is a racetrack about 5 miles from us that we can hear too well. I don't know how the people who live next to it stand it. It's a big deal around here, you see enclosed car trailers all the time. I have never gone to it, but folks who do are really into it. Donnie's company gave us tickets to the Martinsville NASCAR race once and we traded them for firewood Laughing . Good deal for everyone!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com Online
Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:32 am

ARK, I texted those pics to you, but maybe not the right email?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:12 am

ROSE
My home phone doesn't do texts. Try Arkazivan@gmail.com

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:24 pm

We picked up the new truck this morning and I got my first ride in it.wavy   It's very nice!  It has something I never thought we'd ever have,  heated seats!  ROFL   We always said only wimps would have heated seats.  We are now wimps. Laughing   Since it was the coldest morning of the year so far,  those seats felt wonderful.  The truck is essentially the same as the old one, but came with some interesting upgrades.  If you are going to buy a vehicle, this time of the year is the best time.   They had some nice discounts going on to get rid of the 2017 stock.  

Back to top Go down
Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Said the same about heated seats UNTIL, totally love them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 pm

ROSE: affraid
I just realized I probably deleted your pix yesterday. I had two emails show up with no I.D. except for a 336 phone number and attachment. I thought it might be a virus or something wicked to infect my computer, so I didn't open them and just deleted them. I bet it was your photos! Sorry about that! Please send them again and I won't delete them again.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Those heated seats are WONDERFUL! When I bought the Envoy 10 years ago, it had them. I didn't buy it because of the seats, but after sitting on them through the first winter, I vowed I'd never have another car without them. And the Acadia I got a year ago does have them. What's really neat is if you leave the seat switch in the 'ON' position, when you remote start the car, they come on so that on a cold night, you get into a warm car, and have a lovely warm place to sit. I've also noticed that I don't need to run the heater as much when the seats are warm.
Enjoy that new truck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 pm

ROSE's car:

wow... affraid

This is very scary. I am glad you survived!!!
Back to top Go down
Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 pm

ARK, just sent those pics again. sorry no subject.  It appears that she rammed me several times, I felt/heard 3 hits, started passenger front then just kept going, knocked me across 2 lanes oncoming, finally stopped on the other side facing north when I was traveling south.  I am forever grateful to Honda for designing motor which drops down during a collision rather than going back into the driver/passenger compartment.  And, most assuredly to God!  And none of the 3 senior pups that I had just rescued from a kill shelter 100+ miles away, had a single scratch!

Donnie and I both are
very blessed.   cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:43 am

Rose, you are indeed blessed to have survived that. You're like the NASCAR guys when they hit the wall at 200 mph. You got out and walked away from it. Perhaps not without a scratch, but you will be okay soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Alright. No more accidents! That's it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm

GM, speaking for myself, I totally agree! It sometimes hurts too much for too long. And it seems the older we get, the more fragile we are. Poor Robin wants no more babysitting her Mom either.

Lori and I were going to ride today, but someone, namely me, does nothing in the cold. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow so will try for that.

ELLEN, I'm certainly not as fit a the NASCAR drivers who walk away from terrible wrecks. But I've read that they are sometimes sore for days also. But very grateful for a relatively strong constitution and good health.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Rose, you're right. Those guys are in really good shape, but they are often sore for a while after a hard hit to the wall, and bouncing off of one another. NASCAR has done a really good job of protecting the drivers. Some of that technology goes into passenger cars.
Did you see the Xfinity race today? I think I might become a fan of William Byron. He seems like a really good kid.
I sure don't blame you for not wanting to ride in the cold. Been there done that, and don't want to do it anymore.
Graymare, they were talking about the Phoenix track and that they are spending $178 million to redo it. The stands will be covered, the finish line will be moved, along with several other major changes.

The ground around here is orange. Most of the leaves have fallen in the last two days, so the ground is completely covered. I'm hoping it warms up a little bit before it rains to make the leaves all soggy and harder to clean up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 pm

The track brings big $ to PHX, and yes, they are spending millions on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Rose, did you see Chase take Hamlin out? Hamlin deserved that. Paybacks are he!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Packed, rolling, blowout...wheeeeeeee. waiting on roadside service.....ahhhhhh well.

Such is our life....go with the punches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2017   

Back to top Go down

November 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 50 Horse Friends :: Basket-
Jump to: