Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

December 2017

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm

More snow today, but it was the little bitty flakes so not much more in accumulation. Like ELLEN there is about 5 inches. The horses stood all huddled together out in the open instead of going into the woods or the shed. They looked like they had powered sugar sprinkled all over their backs.

Tiberius will be 8 in April and Sophie and Monster will both be 16 in 2018. It's funny how different horses react. Sophie and Tiberius when they spook I laugh at them and we go to investigate what spooked them. Monster can spook and he's gone. A couple of times I swear I must have looked like the cartoon left sitting in the air with no horse under me.

Baby showers sound the same no matter where they take place. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:15 am

That was actually the first baby shower I have attended. It was an interesting little party, at least everyone was happy. I did get tired of all those present openings, though.

INDYAPP:
I have been a cartoon character hanging in air, too! Laughing Ivan never has tried to get rid of me on purpose, but he sure has zigged when I zagged a lot of times. (Knocking on wood....) I never got hurt much from coming off of Ivan, but cracked a rib or two the first time Areion left me hanging in air. The second (and last, so far) time I came off of Areion, I actually landed on my feet. Very Happy I found out that the one rein stop doesn't work well with Areion, she struggles harder to move, causing my unplanned dismount. It works great with Ivan. With Areion I have to make her keep moving forward. If she doesn't feel confined, she gets over her spook pretty fast. She is so different from Ivan, who once spooked, stays spooky for awhile. That one rein stop has saved me with him multiple times.affraid Areion will be 9 years old in April. Hard to believe.

The weather guys got our weather wrong today. It was supposed to be 41 degrees. It never got above 33 degrees. It looked like it could snow all day, but didn't, thank goodness. Donnie had to unload the truck of a big load of sawdust into the barn that we saved for today since it was going to be warmer. That didn't turn out as pleasant as it could have been. The big news of the day here is that we FINALLY have that microwave oven installed over the stove!! ClappingHands ClappingHands It sat in the livingroom for almost a year. We are on a jag, I think we will put up a couple more cabinets and some shelves in the kitchen next. Now we have the old microwave and old dishwasher sitting in the woodshed. I wonder how long it will take to get rid of them..... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rose

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm

INDYAPP and RICK, So very happy to see both of you! Don't stay away so long.

ARK, I've been that suspended in the air character more than I care to remember! Please share a site for the air vest!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm

Ice covered everything, wind chill is awful today. 

We let the horses stretch their legs yesterday in the arena as i knew it was going to be cold and didnt want them sweating today or tomorrow. They got good brushing, feet picked....were happy horsies chowin down, while we cleaned stall and paddock.
Next two days will be feed, water, that we have to take out in buckets, the hose is frozen, brush and get back in the warmth.
Ahhh, the joys of owning horses
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Drinking hot tea with lemon, scratchy throat for us both.

Dogs are all inside camper, makes it interesting getting to bathroom... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:11 pm

I might have had something to do with neighbors getting an Instant Pot for Christmas. This evening they wanted to try it out, so invited me over. They had a 9 pound turkey breast. I wasn't sure it was going to fit, but we stuffed it in there. 40 minutes later, the turkey was nicely done and very tender and moist. Successful test drive.

Tonight is going to be VERY COLD. I can't imagine being in Times Square for 11 or 12 hours, in the cold, with no food or drink, and no bathrooms. I much prefer being here in my nice warm house, a delicious brownie to celebrate with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:06 pm

Happy & healthy New Year to everyone!

Just think, 2,000,000 people are that stupid in NY City. I have a hard time believing it......................BUT, I'm old. Anyhow, everyone have a great time.

We had a big brunch today a nd a great time. No party tonight............

Sleep Sleep Sleep by 10P.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:58 pm

ROSE:
Yep, I suspect you could have used that Air Vest a couple of times. Here is where we got it:

https://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/hit-air-super-light-airbag-vest-all-sizes-201779#92=1540

I figure if it saves me from going to the emergency room some time, it is worth it. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, it has been so darn cold. Other than that little Christmas caroling ride, I haven't been on a horse since I got it. I may not use it with Ivan all the time, but will definitely wear it on Areion.

Cold, cold, cold. It has caught up with us. It won't be above freezing for a week or more, and will be much less than that most times. It was not fun working outside today. I had to go back to the house to get mittens to put over my gloves, my hands were burning. After I put on the mittens, my hands were fine, but after over 2 hours outside, I was chilled to the bone. The horses have extra hay, had a warm mash for dinner, and have electric buckets. Thank goodness for electric buckets. This is good colicking weather, so I put a bit of extra salt on their mash to make them drink more. It's spitting snow right now, but won't amount to much. Good.

ELLEN:
I got an air fryer for Christmas. Do you use one of those? I haven't tried it yet, but have some chicken to try tomorrow. The instant pot sounds a bit handier.

GRAYMARE:
If we make it to midnight, we will be in bed reading. study We are such party animals. We are both reading the second book of the Game of Thrones and find it more interesting than watching a ball drop on 2 million people standing around freezing to death. Laughing When I was a kid I watched that ball drop every year. It seemed sad when a year was gone, but this year has been so bad that I look forward to 2017 being gone. ClappingHands

CB:
Stay warm!! How cold is it? I thought you were in a warmer area now. Carrying water is no fun, I did that with warm water for years during the winter. Don't slip!

It's 10 pm and I am off to read my book! We just finished the second season videos of Game of Thrones and can't watch the third season until we finish the second book. I want a dragon....

Happy New Year!!
May we all be blessed in 2018...

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 am

Happy New Year, everybody!  I do wish all of you a happy and healthy new year.

I see all those people standing around shivering for about 2 minutes of celebrating. I'm glad they like to do it, but that is not for me. I'll sit under a blanket on my sofa and watch them for a few minutes, then go crawl into my nice warm bed.

I haven't tried the air fryer.  One of my younger cousins has one and says that she and her husband really like it.  So far, I have no wish for one.  I have so many small appliances, I really don't need another one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 am

Happy, healthy new year y'all!

Tx is spose to be warm but we r in this deep freeze....ice covering everything....brutal with wind chill, 16 tonight. But cliser to 0 with wind.  Makes my whole body hurt....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Praying it is a good year for everyone.

ARK & ELLEN:  My son has a air fryer, he LOVES it, he is always raving about how wonderful it is.  He is the cook in their house and appreciates cooking supplies.  My friend Shirley has one too and loves it.  Guess I should do some research into getting one.

It is ZERO this morning.  BRRRRRR the weatherman says another week of below normal weather.  Loving those AC/heaters on the wall.  They sure save on the heating oil and haven't really cause the electric bill to increase too much. Wouldn't have wanted to be in NY last night.

Going to start putting away my Christmas decorations tomorrow.  One last day to enjoy the beautiful tree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Time to change the year! Go to:

http://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t76-january-2018#10024

or go to Basket and click on January 2018

It will be a great year! :dance:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content