Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

December 2017

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Back door wirked, really glad to see you here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Hello All Merry Christmas!   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi CB,

How do I use the front door to reply? All I can figure out is to hit the big QUOTE on the last post then delete the prior text. There use to be a REPLY button but I can't find it.

Sorry if I left the gate open. We have a pretty White Christmas this year. Snowed all day today and we have just enough show to cover the ground and grass. I hope everyone is able to spend time with Family and Friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Hello All Merry Christmas!   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi CB,

How do I use the front door to reply? All I can figure out is to hit the big QUOTE on the last post then delete the prior text. There use to be a REPLY button but I can't find it.

Sorry if I left the gate open. We have a pretty White Christmas this year. Snowed all day today and we have just enough show to cover the ground and grass. I hope everyone is able to spend time with Family and Friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 pm

My reply button is at the top if the page now, i had a time with that when it got changed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:26 am

INDYAPP:
 Welcome back!  It's great to see you!!  I am glad the back door worked ClappingHands .  On my computer the reply button is at the top AND bottom of the page on the left in flowery lettering that I have to search for every time.  One of these days I am going to figure out how to change the font on that.   It is confusing.  If you are on a phone, like CB, the reply button may be somewhere else.  

So, what have you been up to?  How are you doing with your horseys?  How is life in Indiana?  Besides cold..... Very Happy

Nancy Lee:

Happy Birthday!!
:dance:   Hope you are having a great one!  Did you notice I didn't use red or green letters for your birthday greeting?  Laughing

wavy  wavy

Everyone:  Merry Christmas Eve!!  Not a creature is stirring, not even a mouse.   The mice are quiet here tonight, awaiting the big event....or maybe just hiding out from the cats lurking around the house....Happy Christmas to all!  santa rendeer rendeer rendeer

(I still don't know who sent these great socks...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:08 am

Merry Christmas everyone. It snowed here a tiny bit, so I'm counting it as a White Christmas. Have a wonderful Christmas Day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 am

It is a beautiful Christmas morning, 16 degrees, snow on the ground, with a bright clear blue sky.
I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and and a wonderful New Year. hug santa santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:19 pm

We are slow moving this morning, but all is blessedly quiet here. Dinner is planned for this evening at Jillian's house / Kid Cameron ... and I'm taking a pecan cheesecake pie I made last evening.

Hoping ALL have a safe holiday with family / friends.

Our love to all ... Rick, Carol, and Snoop!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:57 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL 2017!!! Gosh, it's been a long time...................
we're blessed.

ARK, LOL, enjoy the sox. That was a good one. I just want to say thank you
for keeping the board.......................

lol! ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Found the Flowery Script. Thanks for pointing it out. Never would have found it.

Sorry I've been gone so long. When I logged in yesterday the last time I logged in said October 2016. I can't believe it's been that long. So the last I was here I was caring for Monster who had scratched his eye. Long treatment and healing process. While he is totally blind in that eye, we were able to save the eyeball so he doesn't have a dry socket. That's a plus.

Sophie the Wonder Pony foundered. She suffers from tender tootsies but it really hasn't slowed her down much. I'll put shoes on her next summer and see if that allows her to be worked, if not, she'll be a pasture pet.

Tiberius is coming along nicely. He's finally figured out that he is a Tennessee Walker and that he can gait in addition to walk, trot and canter. His gait is nice, his trot is like riding a jack hammer.

Still working but the company I was working for joined a partnership with a larger company. So other than working with the same people and having the same clients, I started a whole new job since none of our systems were the same. I struggle with new technology. I do finally figure it out, but it doesn't come naturally to me like it does to others. My goal is 8 more years and I'll have my mortgage paid off and then I'll re-evaluate if I want to continue with this career or maybe do something else that isn't as stressful.

So that's about my life in a nutshell. Christmas was nice. Other than going out to feed the horses I haven't been outside in two days. Bill got me a very pretty ring and earrings. My brother got me an areal (sp?) view picture of my property. He has a friend that is starting a new drone business taking pictures. He used my property as a practice run. I was clueless. I knew my brother brought him out here to fly his drone, but I didn't know about the business. I just thought he needed some space to learn how to fly his new toy.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:10 pm

After a very nice Christmas with relatives, I'm home to my warm house that has the sidewalk and driveway cleared of snow. I have so much to be grateful for.
It looks like we got about 3, maybe 4 inches of snow on Christmas Eve. It is now VERY cold, 9°, but the wind is keeping the lake from freezing. If the wind dies down tonight, that should do it. We are going to have at least a week of near zero weather.
Now, I get to shop for a headboard for my bedroom. My cousins all went together to get me a very healthy gift card for a home decor company. I think I've already found what I want. Have I mentioned how good my cousins are to me?
I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and are ready to tackle the year ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:44 am

GRAYMARE:
 Well, you got me, ROFL .  I had emailed several relatives asking if they sent the socks.  Nope.  What fooled me so much was that the package came out of Northern KY, which is where I have a lot of relatives...and apparently a place that ships socks.  lol!   Thanks very much,  I really like them!  I have been wearing them since they showed up, despite not knowing who sent them!  Can't pass up good socks! Very Happy

INDYAPP:
 I am sorry about Monster's eye.  I have a friend who rides a horse who is blind on one side and he doesn't have any problems with it. She just has to watch that side so he doesn't get startled by what comes at him unexpectedly.   Sophie is a draft horse, right?  I hope the shoes work for her.  It's good to hear about Tiberius!   And what a nice present from your brother!

ELLEN:
 Yep, you have great cousins!  And great neighbors who shovel your walk!  We only got a tiny bit of snow on Christmas and it was gone by the afternoon.  It is getting colder, though.  The blankets go back on the horses tomorrow evening, the temps are going down to 10 degrees.  BUT! Have you noticed?  The days are already longer! Laughing  At least by a few seconds.

RICK:
 So how was the cheesecake pie? Drool

CB:
 Is it cold?  How are you doing?

Donnie and I have not left the property since Saturday.  It's been kind of nice.  We stocked up on goodies, have a video series to watch, and have just 'chilled'.  Besides watching the series, we are reading the books it was based on.   I don't think we have stayed home this long since we got snowed in a few years ago.  It's better without the snow!  My sister sent me a pretty quilt she made herself.    You gotta see it:

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Ark, I didn't send you socks, but I really do appreciate what you do to keep the board going.  We've all been together for so many years, I would really hate to lose touch with everybody.

That quilt is absolutely beautiful! I see the pretty quilts and well understand how much work it takes to make them, and have no desire at all to do one - which makes me appreciate them more.

The wind died down last night and the lake is completely frozen over.  It would be pretty hard for it not to with -4° last night, and a high of +12° today.  It's going to be like this for at least the next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:27 pm

BBBRRRRR Someone farther north left the gate open.

Beautiful quilt. Love the black kitty. I have a black barn kitty named Sparkles. She has such sparkling eyes. She is currently holed up in the hayloft, snuggled down and keeping warm.

Yes Sophie is the draft cross. As far as founder goes, hers appears to be pretty mild. Monster is adjusting to being blind in that one eye pretty good. He was very reactive when he had sight in both eyes, so of course he's even more so now. I still ride him a bit when I'm feeling adventurous. I only ride him in his field. It's not fair to stress him out in unfamiliar areas. He'll remain a pampered pasture pet.

Anyone have any goals for 2018? I have a list on my refrigerator of projects I want to complete. Only one of them is a repeat from 2017 that I didn't get done. I tried this at the beginning of the year and it worked pretty good. Thought I would try it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Indy, one of the Derby horses was blind in one eye.  It didn't seem to bother him at all. I guess they adapt. 

You're right about the cold air coming in from the north.  Below zero is rough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Brrrrrrrr.....It was 8 degrees this morning.  Ewww.  I do not like cold like this.  I don't know how folks above the Mason/Dixon Line survive.   All that snow in PA..... just wow.  A little snow is pretty, but gets prettier when it disappears in a reasonable time.  Those folks are going to have snow all winter.

ELLEN:
 I love this quilt!  Vicki gets better all the time.  She just took up quilting a very few years ago.  This one has some hand quilting in it, too.  Rainbow colors and a cat is just perfect for me.   She also sends me a Christmas/horsey wall hanging every year.  I have about 4 of them now.   I love her hobbies Laughing .  I don't have the patience for quilting.

INDYAPP:
 I understand why you don't take Monster out of his field.  I do think he will get better with time about it, though. For Christmas,  Donnie gave me a Hit Air equestrian safety vest because Areion tends to be more reactive.  If I hit the ground off of her, it definitely hurts.   Ivan used to much more reactive and I have come off of him at least a dozen times, but he doesn't scare me as much as Areion, who is taller and whose body language I am not quite as in touch with as Ivan's.  It is mostly me, not her,  I am very slow at getting used to new horses.  It is one reason I don't ride other folks' horses much.  The vest will give me more confidence with Areion, and make Donnie happier if I don't crack any more ribs coming off of her....  That only happened once.  

The good news is,  to get back to Monster,   he should get used to his new vision after awhile.   My friend's horse does great, but he is older and more settled.  My friend is a very timid rider, but luckily the horse has more sense.  She won't even wear a helmet, much less a vest, so thank goodness the horse is so good.  

I am going to a baby shower tomorrow evening.  I don't think I have ever been to one, so it should be interesting.  The mother is my former farm care kid from a few years ago.  We went to her wedding last year, she is such a nice young lady.  So what should I buy for a gift?  We are going out this afternoon to get something.....
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Indy, i ride a totally blind horse, she even barreled raced. Takes more vouce and cues, but they trust you wholly. Its a great bond.

Ok, come on, shut the door, somebody....were ya birn in a barn

Brrrrrrrrrr. Pretty tight in here with the 4 dogs...but too cold to have outside for long.
Horses are doing good. Fat and sassy.

Got an instant pot for xmas, dont have room in this camper for it tho....so havnt used it yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Ark, I would suggest a gift card for one of the major stores, like Wlamart or Target, or Baby R Us. Wrap it with a little toy. That way the new mommy can get whatever she needs. The baby will probably have way more clothes than it can wear before it outgrows them. When I'm making a baby outfit, I never make a newborn size. It's always 3 to 6 months size. Too often the baby grows through a size without ever wearing some of the clothes they are given.
For Mommy, give her a small framed photo of one of the horses she took care of for you.

During the night, it was -6°. Now, at noon, it's +14°. A heat wave. It doesn't make me too happy that I will have to get out and go to the grocery store sometime today.
The sewing machine is going to get some exercise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:37 pm

ARK, the blanket is beautiful. I'm sure you treasure it.

Today is lovely in AZ.........just the opposite of you snow encompassed folks.

ARK, have fun at your shower............I'm sure the mom will be thrilled with whatever
you choose for her.

I'm half way done with pulling Eli's mane.......he's so tolerant.

Everyone have a good day. God bless.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 pm

So ARK... did you play baby shower games? I agree w/Ellen, go with the gift card and a little toy. Monster is going to take a little time to get use to being blind in that eye. Like I said, he was reactive before he was blind, I don't expect him to become mellow and trusting just because he's suddenly blind in that eye. His first instinct has always been run first and ask questions later when startled. My real concern when riding him is that because I don't have good riding places close to home we have to ride on the roads. I'm more concerned that if he were to startle, he would startle into traffic. Not worth the risk. I had a friend who had a terrific little blind pony that we rode everywhere and did everything with it. But the pony's personality was OK whatever... Monster's isn't, and never has been. The safety vest isn't a bad idea.

Super cold here today. And the report is it's going to stay cold for about a week. I just keep reminding myself that at least it waited until Christmas for us to get the snow and the cold. It could have been here much sooner. It can go away now too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:18 am

The baby shower is tonight (Friday). We found a very cute plush pony, light pink and floppy. The baby is a girl. We bought a Wal-Mart gift card to go with it. Thanks for the suggestions! That really helped. The baby is due at the end of January.

INDYAPP
I agree about not taking him on the road. It's taken me 10 years to get Ivan to the point of riding him in controlled traffic. I would not want to take him on a busy road. But he has gotten so much better about controlling his nervousness, for the most part. I do give him magnesium to help with his nerves and it is either working or he has just gotten better with age. He has been the most nervous horse I have ever had. Areion is just young and silly. She isn't nearly as nervous in general as Ivan has always been. But when she does spook, it's a big one, thus the vest. How old is Monster? I remember Tiberius is Areion's age. Ivan turned13 in September and so far, I am loving the teens. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 am

Dark & chilly here, too. About 36, dry, windy, Fiesta Day parade at 9A.

That's about it..............oh, pecans rolls for later..........MMMMMMMMM.

Horses are munching & happy. Everyone have a good day.
God bless, prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Ark, how was the shower?

It's been about 12° for the last 24 hours, and isn't going to improve. The wind is blowing so the wind chill is -8°. Good day to stay inside. We have about 5 inches of snow on the ground now. I'm betting that today, Travis will be out on the ice checking the thickness. It's definitely thick enough to walk on, but probably not for the snowmobile yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Super cold here in PA and we have snow.  A little late for a White Christmas but I am enjoying it anyway. Not having to leave the farm gives us a chance to enjoy the snow.  Did our dashing about yesterday.  Our neighbor Jim is busy plowing our driveways, we have such a great neighbors.

Staying in for New Years Eve also, we are such party animals, probably will have our New Years snack and toast of sparkling grape juice around 9 PM and be sound asleep way before midnight arrives.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:48 pm

The baby shower was nice. My smiling muscles got tired Laughing . The place was packed. She got at least 50 gifts and mine was the very last one opened..... You were right ELLEN, that baby will outgrow most of the clothes she was given before wearing them twice. Most of the cute outfits were newborn size. They seemed to like the fluffy pink pony we gave them. It was a fun event. They served BBQ sandwiches with sides, had lots of decorated cupcakes, and played a couple of games. Other than the new mom and her mother, I didn't know anyone. Now I know most of her female friends and relatives, co-workers, grandmother, etc, etc..... Very Happy

No snow here. Thank goodness.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm

More snow today, but it was the little bitty flakes so not much more in accumulation. Like ELLEN there is about 5 inches. The horses stood all huddled together out in the open instead of going into the woods or the shed. They looked like they had powered sugar sprinkled all over their backs.

Tiberius will be 8 in April and Sophie and Monster will both be 16 in 2018. It's funny how different horses react. Sophie and Tiberius when they spook I laugh at them and we go to investigate what spooked them. Monster can spook and he's gone. A couple of times I swear I must have looked like the cartoon left sitting in the air with no horse under me.

Baby showers sound the same no matter where they take place. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 2017   

Back to top Go down

December 2017
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next