Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

January 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 pm

CB, I thought you left Idaho to get away from frozen water buckets. It would be a lot of work to have to undo and unhook everything to get water to the horses, and then hook it all back up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

We did we did leave idaho, who knew the south would be in a deep freeze for over a week. We have to unhook everything again and haul more water out in about 2 hours. Fun never ends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 pm

It is incredibly cold here.  The wind has been blowing 43mph with single digit temps in the morning.  I don't think it made it to 20 degrees today, but the wind didn't stop.  It's going back down to single digits tonight and tomorrow.  The good news is, no snow or ice.  It missed us, it was east of us.

BEECH:
 Are you okay?  I just saw CBS News showing Maine really getting slammed.  

Zippy Report:
 I went to see Zippy just after lunch today.  There was good news and bad news.  The good news is that the intestinal colic situation is over, his inflammation there seems to be resolved.  The bad news is that Zippy has pneumonia.  They are doing and endoscopic procedure to get a sample of what is in his lungs so they can tell what kind of antibiotic to give him.  He keeps spiking a temperature when the Banamine wears off, every 12 hours.  His distal pulse in each of his feet is stronger, so they have put ice boots on him to keep him from having a laminitis attack.  Zippy is still not eating, but hopefully his appetite will return when the antibiotics kick in and he feels better.  He did drink some water and is still on the I.V. drip.   So Zippy is still not out of the woods yet, but colic isn't going to be what gets him at this point.  He was a bit more alert today, but still very foggy acting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks for the report, ARK.

We are sure rooting and praying for him. I'm sure your stress is high, also.
Praying for you & Donnie, also.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:59 am

Awwww. Poor little guy. I hope he starts feeling better soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 am

ARK: AWWWWW Zippy looks so sad, breaks my heart to see him like that, I know it must tear your heart out. Praying for him.

CB: I talked to Dave yesterday, he said no problem boarding the horses for you, just let me or him know when you are coming. Funny but he called me yesterday outta the blue. Must have known I have been talking about him. LOL That's kinda scary.

No snow here but it is ZERO with wind chill below zero. If we can hang in until Sunday, things are going to change up and get outta the single degree days and nights. New England really got hit hard.

The guys are still working on the walk in shower. They sure are not "Bath Fitters". LOL Good thing it's not summer although I could hose George off in the yard then. LOL He keeps finding them other things to do, hopefully today will be the day they get the water back on.

Stay warm and safe everyone...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:02 pm

No snow here, but the cold and wind is terrible. I waited until 3 pm to clean the barn and it got up to 19 degrees with howling wind. It was 6 degrees with that wind this morning when I dashed down to the barn and fed and watered the horses. Next week it is supposed to get up to 50 degrees!

Donnie went to see Zippy today. He works in the same town and went after lunch. I didn't go since the other truck is still attached to the trailer.
Donnie said Zippy still wasn't eating. They had just started antibiotics last night, so they haven't had time to kick in. If they don't soon, Zippy won't last much longer. They did feed him some kind of nutrient mix thru a tube into his stomach from his nose. Hopefully it will kickstart his appetite. Zippy has to decide to live or not live soon.
We are going together to see him tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some better results from the antibiotics. The initial plan was to leave him at Tech until Monday to avoid the bad weather. When it was only thought to be colic, that would have been a reasonable plan. Now we don't know if he will survive until Monday. Poor little guy. He has never been sick a day in his life. He has made up for it.
Donnie went the to work for the first time since before Christmas today. He is feeling better. He had to haul Zippy to Tech on Tuesday after dark and was so sick. It's been such a fun week.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Still hoping & praying, ARK. How old is Zippy, ARK? I also hope your weather improves for the little guy.

Sorry DONNIE is sick..............Gosh, a double whammy. That's no fun.

Hugs to you both!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:12 am

Oh, ARK, I am really rooting for Zippy. He looks so forlorn. I can close my eyes and imagine enclosing all that fur in a big hug while the tears roll down my cheeks. In fact, the tears are welling up anyway.

And I hope Donnie is on the mend, too.

About our weather: a friend here (female type)quipped, "On a day like today, do you know how SEXY a man with a plow looks????!!"

We got, probably, a foot of snow on top of the 10 inches or so we already had.

My man with a plow plowed twice yesterday, once with his ATV in the middle of the blizzard
and again about 9 pm, after the snow stopped. Then he came back this morning on his John Deere with the bucket loader and REALLY plowed. Which was a good thing, because, try as hard as I might, I couldn't get my snowblower started. I blew him kisses. He is a neighbor who won't take any money for that (the plowing, not the kisses). Usually he plows bare-headed no matter what the weather, but today, with a ferocious wind and the temp only about 4 above, he wore a ski hat and a jet-black scarf covering most of his face. A wild two days but, mercifully (so far, anyway) no power outages.

Temp now at midnight 1.3 below, and the wind still howling, but the dogs and I are all warm and fat and snug.

I hope all others are doing as well. My heart goes out to you folks in the south -- especially you, CB!

Maybe I'll get some pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 am

(((((((Zippy, Ark & Donnie))))))))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Still saying prayers for Zippy.

Beech, it's good to hear from you and know that you and the animals are in good shape. Isn't it nice to have good neighbors who help us out without expecting anything in return? There are some things we could get done, but we'd have to pay for it. We haven't had so much snow that I couldn't get in and out, but it was sure nice to have my sidewalk and driveway cleared for me.

The ice is about 8 inches thick now, and the snowmobiles and quads are out. One guy who seems to be new around here got the bright idea that he would ride along the channel. Bad idea. There may be ice, but there is always a current under it so it isn't thick ice. He managed to drop it partially through the ice. He was okay, but had to get a buddy to help get it out.
Now, I just have to find somebody to haul some stone for me SOON. This cold weather isn't going to last much longer. We'll have ice for quite a while, but it could thin out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 am

Zippy didn't make it. We had to have him put down this afternoon. The antibiotics were not working, he still wasn't eating or drinking, and he kept spiking temps of 104 degrees every 12 hours when the Banamine wore off. We had to let him go. The vets said there was no chance of recovery. We are really going to miss him.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers for Zippy. We will be burying him next to Kazi as soon as we can get the ground thawed out enough to dig. It's going to be ZERO tonight, but 50 by the middle of the week.

We are fine. The worst is over.
Back to top Go down
Rose

PostSubject: Zippy   Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 am

Hugs for you and Donnie. Bless you both for all the love given to Zippy over the years. He was blessed to have ya'll for his life!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 am

(((((((((ARK & DONNIE)))))))) So sorry to hear about Zippy, poor little guy, he had a wonderful life on your farm. Now he can run free with his friends who have gone on before him. Sad day...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 am

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry, Ark. He had a very good life with you, and brought you and others a lot of fun and joy. And us too, when you posted pictures of the parades he did with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 am

Its hard to lose a cherished member of your family...hugs to you two, he will be missed by us all.  ( (ARK AND Donnie))

Windy here today,  amper is swaying big time....can we say seasick on dry ground...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

You & DONNIE did your best ARK. Zippy will be missed for sure.
(((((((((((((((((((DONNIE & ARK))))))))))))))))))

hug hug hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Oh, ARK, now I really am crying. Hugs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 am

Thank you all.   We are sad, of course, but will have to adjust to life without Zippy after 24 years.  I really thought he would live into his 30s since he was a small pony.    He was such a good little guy, the only horse we have ever had that never gave any attitude problems about much of anything.  I didn't exactly work him hard, he rarely worked more than 2 or 3 days a year, but never objected to anything we asked him to do.  

We are having a difficult time getting him buried because of the extreme cold.  We got him down to where we are going to bury him next to Kazi and have him wrapped tightly in tarps and covered with cardboard so that animals won't get to him.  He was euthanized and shouldn't be ingested by  other animals, even if I could stand the thought of it.   The temps are coming up tomorrow, along with a possible ice/rain event, but hopefully the ground will thaw enough to get him buried.  The ground is frozen solid.

Trinket and Cactus seem to miss Zippy since they shared their living space, but I can't tell the other horses miss him.  They might if more pigs show up and no one is here to beat the pigs up and chase them off like Zippy did for them last year.....

Zippy keeping a sharp eye on the pigs he beat up last January.

BEECH:
 Thank goodness for your snowplowing neighbor!!  And for your warm house!  At least we don't have snow, I keep telling myself as it got down to Zero last night.  We are supposed to see 50+ degrees by mid-week.  It will feel like summer.  I hope you get some of that, too.

Does anyone think the logo photo at the top of the page looks like the horse may be a photoshopped fake horse? I just noticed it doesn't seem to have certain 'parts' showing. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:04 pm

The mane and tail are very long and full for appaloosy....but it looks pretty. 

Hope everyone is getting nicer weather, we are here. Water is thawed at the stables and it makes it much nicer not to have to bucket water out. I like camping where we can keep the horses, where i can see them. I can look out or go out to them often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Ark, I hadn't really given much thought to the logo photo. After looking at it a bit, and then checking out the Stone model horses, I sort of think it might be one of those that has been customized a little bit with the raised front leg. Some of those do have long manes and tails. They do that sometimes to make them more valuable as a collectible. Add some creative photography and photo shop, and there it is. It could even be part of a horse show display that Stone collectors do.
I'm not a huge fan of the Stone models because they are all very similar, even with some of the custom changes. I like the Breyer horses better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am

Woke up to very sad news....my favorite cousins wife passed away from complications of flu. She was few years younger than me. Kenny and i grew up together, we were born a week apart. When in the 8th grade his family moved away and Kenny came back to see kids he grew up with graduate and went to my senior prom with me. We had lots of fun, we were to go camping with them in april. She lived for her grandbabies with a passion, they were her life. Thresea will be missed by many. By me, for sure.
Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Aww Geez ARK, I so sorry about Zippy. He was such a little cutie. Here is a poem I saw today on facebook that I think you will like..

Wait for me

You're just a little slower now,
Not like you used to be.
You stop and look as if to say
"Wait for me"

Your eyes are not as bright
as they used to be.
A little hard to see
You look for me as if to say
"Wait for me."

The other horses gallop fast and
free,
You stand and look as if to say,
"Wait for me."

You can hardly stand
age has taken you from me.
It's time to set you free.
And as you slip away to heavens
gate,
I whisper in your ear,
"Wait for me."

Zippy will be waiting for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm

CB
I am so sorry about your cousin's wife. What an unhappy day for you..... hug hug
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Thank you, INDYAPP

What a beautiful poem. I will save it....Thanks again. Zippy was a special guy.

We are having a hard time getting him buried. The ground is still frozen after two weeks of extreme cold. It was 51 degrees today and Donnie lit a bonfire over the spot, but it was still frozen too much for our little tractor. Hopefully we will get him buried tomorrow. It is going to be about 50 tomorrow, too, and above freezing overnight tonight.

Today felt like summer after being 1 degree yesterday morning.

Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 am

Harry had a stroke today and is in icu....oh boy....i dont think texas agrees with him at all. All hums appreciated and tia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2018   

Back to top Go down

January 2018
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 50 Horse Friends :: Basket-
Jump to: