Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

February 2018

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: February 2018   Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:21 pm

February 2018 !

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you I love you  I love you  I love you  

It's that time of year when the weather is cold and the horse is warm.  
Go out and kiss a horse today!  

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you

rear
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm

RICK:
I am sorry about the escaping cold weather. If you think 50 is cold, that feels like a heatwave here. My rule of thumb is I will ride Ivan or Areion if it is at least 45 degrees, they are nice warm furry creatures. It hasn't been 45 degrees very often this winter. So they are mostly on vacation these days. They don't seem to mind much.
Have fun with your dog sitting duties! How long will that go on?

"They" are saying we may get a bit of snow after it rains here this evening. Bah humbug. And I have a cold that I probably picked up at the ER last Saturday. Bigger Bah humbug.

ELLEN:
I bet your lake is nicely frozen. Is Travis having a good winter?

CB:
where are you now?

TRUDY:
I am babysitting three dogs next door. I have discovered that I love my own dog much better, he isn't a barker or one who runs over me. One of the neighbor's dogs is deaf, so yelling at him to get down isn't much help.

GRAYMARE:
we haven't seen pix of your boys in quite awhile! hint, hint...

INDYAPP:
How is medicating the eye going? Zippy was the worst one for putting drops in eyes around here, he would fight it with all his 37 inches of height. He never objected to anything else, just drops in eyes.

NANCY LEE:
How is the winter up there in the Frozen North? Balmy? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't guess you all could see the moon trifecta night before last.
The super blue blood moon was fascinating. It really did turn red, then the eclipse, then to blue again, and then gone. It was early AM here and cold outside, so I watched I intermittently. The next one is in 200 years so I guess I won't see another.

It was good to hear from RICK and NANCY LEE.

Later gators.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Rick, it's good to hear from you. Maybe you need to sic Snoop on the dog. He could handle him. Very Happy

Ark, we've had a few days with temperatures in the 40s, so the ice is a bit thinner now, maybe 7 inches. But, this morning at 7:00 it was 31°, and it's been dropping all day going down to 10° tonight. It's almost there. The ice will be talking tonight.
Travis likes the cold, but so far, he's been disappointed in the lack of snow. At the moment, we don't have any on the ground at all.

No, I didn't get to see the moon that night. The clouds were dense. That would have been neat to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:45 am

Happy Groundhog Day.  It's that big day in PA, the day Phil sees his shadow and we have 6 more weeks of winter.   ROFL

GRAYMARE:  Nope we didn't get to see the moon either.  Too cloudy here.

Yesterday was a big birthday day in my family.   :dance: Great grand daughter Cameron turned 1, grandson Brandon turned 20 and friend Barb turned 70.  Ooops she doesn't want me to tell anyone that she is older than me.

I visited my friend Dee who had the heart surgery.  She is amazing...she is off and running already.  I'd still be curled in a ball in my bed and she is off tonight, being a greeter at a concert at church tonight.  I'm such a weenie when it comes to pain of any kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 am

Happy Groundhog's Day!

(Really?)

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm

My mother used to say, "It's six more weeks of winter, and six more weeks 'til spring". That seemed to cover the situation. Very Happy
It's bright and sunny today, and 18°. COLD. Last night the ice must have been having a nightmare. It talked and grumbled a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:07 pm

It's snowing again. Travis is a happy boy, out playing with his snowmobiles. It started out at 34°, but has been dropping all day and will be 6° in the night.

I guess everybody is getting ready for the Super Bowl this evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Eye drops and horses do not mix. Ever. Putting medicine in Monster's eye was a nightmare. To this day M does not trust me when I'm messing with the right side of his face. He just KNOWs I'm going to try and put something in it. You think Zippy could be difficult? Try a 17hand thoroughbred.

Anyone watch Heartland? I've been watching it on Netflix. Not many family shows out there. Let alone one that horses play such a key role in. Hokey at times, but they try to explain the different horse illnesses and disciplines. Sure has beautiful scenery. I'm up to season 8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 am

Indy, how much snow did you get? We have about 3 or 4 inches. It was enough for the snowmobiles to play this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am

Forget that stupid groundhog.  This is what I'd like to see:

The flamingo saw his shadow so there are 6 more weeks of paradise. Very Happy

We had a nice snowy/ice event here.  Everything was covered in ice.  It was very pretty, but very treacherous.  Now the ice is starting to melt or drop off the trees and bushes a little, but the ground is still slick.  I want to see that flamingo's shadow....
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Snow, yeah I'm done with it. It sounds as if we have about the same amount of snow as you do ELLEN. Yesterday morning the snow was perfect for making snowmen. Then the temps dropped. I give applesauce to Sophie to get her to eat her bute and the little bit of applesauce that stuck to the side of the cup that I take it out to the barn in froze to the cup this morning.

Can someone give me an idea of how much memory a telephone should have? My phone only has 8 kilobytes, or gigabytes or something. Was told that was very minimal and is the reason I keep getting the message not enough memory to update. So before I buy a new phone I'd like some suggestions as to how much memory I should have from someone other than the sales guy. TIA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Im posting, its not showing up.
Warm today 79 ....i like.
Deming nm was cold at night and windy as chit days. Foljs were nice thete at the park tho.
We are in az now....ill pribably complain about the heat...

Got pics of the young gal on the horses, laying on them both directions bareback riding them.....they are getting lots of love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 am

Indy, I have a Samsung S7 which has 32GB memory. I have a lot of pictures stored on it, a lot of e-mails that are sitting there in the background, and so far, the memory has not been a problem. I am with Verizon, and haven't had any problems with the phone or the service. I've had it for about a year and a half, and I don't see myself getting a new phone anytime soon. (Translation: I'll keep it 'til it dies.) The s7 model is two years old and the s8 came out last spring. The s8 is really nice, but at this point, is about twice as expensive as the s7.

It was zero when I got up this morning. It seems to have settled at about 12° for the night, with more snow coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14 am

Funny story that happened at church.  You'll love this one.  We had our Ministry Fair and being a team leader I was in charge of setting up our big display in the gym.  After dashing about setting everything up, talking to everyone in the gym, we walked out to The Hub to get our tickets for the Valentine Dinner.  Pastor Erik was standing there so I went up to talk to him and he leaned really close into to me (I thought he was giving me a hug, which he did) but he whispered in my ear "your fly is down".  I was like WHAT?? affraid He said it again and I about fainted.  I turned the people who had been with me all morning and said "WHY didn't any of you tell me before now?"  Everyone was laughing.  I'm not sure whose face was redder, mine or Pastor Erik's. Embarassed I'm always checking George cause his is always down.  Karma I guess.  

One mistake and you are branded for life. I'll always the crazy woman who walked around the church with her zipper down. ROFL Good thing I don't get offended by things like that.

We have snow and ice too with more on the way tomorrow. Oh yippeeeee I am SO sick of snow..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

TRUDY:
 ROFL   Pastor Erik was very nice to tell you!  Now the question is, were you wearing nice undies? ROFL  That is funny,  you took it really well! ClappingHands
 Sorry about your ice and snow.  We are supposed to miss this storm, but get rain.  Good luck.  I am really tired of cold weather, too.

INDYAPP:
 Sorry, but phones confuse me too much to be able to help you.  My new phone is an i-phone 6 and works great, but I don't do a lot online with it, so i don't know how much memory I would need if I did.   Good luck!  We are finally off the Verizon system, which we didn't like.  They were never helpful when they could have been.  We just disconnected our 'landline' after 18 years because it was no longer a real landline, but a cellphone tower connected phone that didn't work when the power was out, and cost twice what my new cellphone does.  

ELLEN:
 Too cold.  Is the lake still talking?  That is an interesting concept.  

CB:
 I was wondering where you were.  You sound much warmer!  I am glad the little girl is enjoying her horses, that would make me feel better.

Well guess what?  I found a 'new' saddle that fits Ivan and only cost $100. ClappingHands  Actually Lori found it online.  It is a Thorowgood all purpose saddle, same brand as my regular saddle, and is in very good shape.  It arrived yesterday, so I put it on Ivan and sat on it without stirrups since the leathers I ordered haven't come in yet.  It feels pretty much like my other saddle. I will need to add some D-rings to it so I can hang stuff all over it, but other than that, it seems just fine.  It was a lucky find!  I didn't try it on Areion, but she can use my original saddle.   Now I am going to paint the brown stirrup cages a nice blue to match Ivan's tack.  Very Happy

It actually looks better than this photo.  I wish I had taken the camera down to the barn when we tried it on Ivan...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:56 am

INDY, I have an I phone 6S with 32 GB of memory..........the GPS maps are really good for directions. Anyhow, I've had no problems with it. It seems the more tech you have, the more problems you have so be careful what you choose. Also, your provider is important for good delivery of service. AT&T is the best here as the mountain service is good......Verizon doesn't have good reception in the mountains at this time but they're supposedly going to put up another tower up there.
Sprint has good deals, too, as well as Walmart. My friend has Walmart
and loves it. Good luck with your choosing.

It's perfect today.............55 and sunny so far.

TRUDY, you're a RIOT. ClappingHands ClappingHands lol!

God bless, prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm

ARK, congrats on your new saddle.........used is best as you don't have to break it in...........comfy right off.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 pm

We got snow last night, a couple of inches or so.  So, today, the guy from the marina around the corner suddenly appeared and started shoveling off my driveway and sidewalk!  I didn't really need all that done, but he seems determined, and I am very grateful!  I had fresh cookies just out of the oven, so I gave him a couple of those.  Pretty puny thank you for what he is doing.  I told him he didn't need to do all that, but he just said there's more coming and kept shoveling.
I'll make it right with him.
Once again, I am grateful for the neighborhood I live in.

Nice saddle, Ark.  There are some good finds online.  

The GPS on the phones is really good, better than the ones built into cars or the ones that sit on the dash.  Mine got me through St. Louis a few years ago.  The one on the dash decided there were no roads west of the Mississippi and was no help at all.  The phone got the job done.

While I do not keep my nose in the phone all the time like the kids (and some so-called adults) do, I do use it for a lot of things.  No games or videos though.
I gave up on the landline when I moved up here 11 1/2 years ago, and haven't missed it at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the info on the telephone.  Everyone I've talked to has recommended 32 GB so I guess I'll be looking into a new phone sometime soon.  I don't use my phone much but I need something that will allow me to have more than 3 additional apps than what comes with the phone.  Especially since 2 of the apps are job related leaves me with either candy crush or facebook but not both. Laughing Laughing

Today has been a long day.  My Thursday 4:00 appointment showed up at 4:00 on Tuesday.  Two days is just a little early.  I wasn't hungry when I got home.  I just wanted to sit down and relax.  Well I have the tv on and all the food commercials are making me hungry now.  Problem with me being hungry now is it's too late.  I try not to eat after 8:00.   Maybe I'll start planning breakfast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm

I wake up starving! Have a few bites and im full...something that is good for me, but set a tube of chips in front if me, ill eat them all and room for more.... rake

Ark, great on the saddle, enjoy.

Trudy, that was funny....only we redheads....lol....can have fun over our horsey gettin out of the barn door that was left open

Indyapp, i still have my samsung 5, no help here.

Greymare, we are in wikieup, 38 when i woke up. 

Great good golly good mornin to you all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm

CB, do you still have the bigger camper, or just the truck camper? It's nice that you are someplace warm. It's still cold here, with snow on the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Right now the truck camper with horse trailer that holds bikes and scooters and dog kennels, great dane size ones.
The  bigger travel trailer is in az, in bouse still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 pm

The horse trailer would be a good place to store all that stuff. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm

But we want our toys with us. We r removing the couch in the big camper and putting smaller kennels where the couch would go. Will keep the big one for the two bulldogs for outsude time when we are out there. Take scooters and bikes with us to play for us....so we need a trailer to pull behind the rv, and it has to be smaller than the horse trailer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   

Back to top Go down

February 2018
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next