Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

February 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am

Nope. No computer yet. The shop owner said it should be here Monday. I think they must have sent it by stage coach since it will take over a week to get here from California.
I will definitely be glad to have it. Typing on the phone or tablet is really slow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 am

I will add that I am grateful to have the phone and tablet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

I will add that I am grateful to have the phone and tablet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Phone has teeny keyboard....grrrr. but its what i have.
Got more snow last night....cant wait to get things done and head to sunshine

Trudy, how ya feelin?? Hope much better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Looks like it's raining at your house ELLEN........Just saw the weather map. How about you ARK?

How're you feeling TRUDY?

Rained here all night and into morning. A nice re
fresher, but not enough to even make a dent into drought.

hug to ALL.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 am

It did rain here yesterday, on and off most of the day. It was almost 50, so all the snow is gone. It colder today.

How are you doing, Trudy?

Not too much going on around here this time of year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I'll tell ya, I ain't never been this sick in a long long time.  I'm in pretty good health too and I can't imagine a person who already has health issues getting this nightmare.  9 days and a whole script of antibiotics and I still feel like crap.  I coughed so much I pulled muscles in my back and can hardly move or sleep.  Got into bed last night and OMG I had to roll out and go down stairs and try to sleep in the big recliner chair.  Laying flat was NOT a option.  I've been using heat on my back every few hours and taking Advil for the pain.  If I cough or sneeze I about shoot thru the roof with pain in my back. Today is the best I have felt in days and I still feel like crawling into a hole and staying there.This stuff is kicking my butt.

I finally made a egg mcmuffin this morning and got something on my stomach, at least that sick feeling is going away but making myself eat is a real chore.  George has been busy cooking up a storm only to have me eat a bite or two and walk away.  He has made veggie soup, chicken noodle soup, a roast beef, got a wonder chicken from the store, in hopes I would eat something.  YUCK....I've hardly even had a cup of coffee in 9 days.

Thank God it's NOT the flu, I don't think I could survive the flu.  Drinking lots of cranberry ginger ale and sweet tea. George is showing signs of getting sick now.  I gotta get better so I can take care of him, he refuses to go to the doctor.

Nothing else going on here, just trying to work up some energy to do more than drag myself from the living room to the kitchen.

Love & prayers..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Trudy, please go back to dictor or er, have bloodwork dine. My cousin not even 60 was coughing and coukdnt eat, altho they saud it was complications if flu with her, but simehow she got sepsis and they wernt able to control it, sadly she passed away kast month after being sick 2 weeks. She was healthy when it started. Go back, bug that doctor, please. Her grands miss her terribly....and i dont want anything to happen to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Wow, Trudy! I'm so sorry you are still feeling so bad. I hope you are on the upswing now and will feel better fast.

Neighbor Pat came over a few minutes ago. He couldn't stand not having a dog. The lady who groomed Casey is a widow who will soon remarry. She has bred and raised Yorkies, but new hubby is allergic to dogs and cats. She is finding homes for the ones she has . Pat came over carrying Chip, a 6 year old neutered Yorkie. Very cute, and will have a great new home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Wow, Trudy! I'm so sorry you are still feeling so bad. I hope you are on the upswing now and will feel better fast.

Neighbor Pat came over a few minutes ago. He couldn't stand not having a dog. The lady who groomed Casey is a widow who will soon remarry. She has bred and raised Yorkies, but new hubby is allergic to dogs and cats. She is finding homes for the ones she has . Pat came over carrying Chip, a 6 year old neutered Yorkie. Very cute, and will have a great new home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Good for you TRUDY........sound like you are going ground.

Good for PAT, ELLEN...........he must be really happy. Is the dog trained?

Cloudy dreary day today............ shrug shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

TRUDY, I meant to say sounds like you are gaining ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

So a week ago today we had the heaviest snowfall that we've had all year.  We got like 12 inches of snow last weekend.  Since then we've had warmer temperatures and rain and fog.  The horse pen is a combination of snow, slush, and standing water.  It's suppose to get cold tonight so add ice to the mix.  Should be interesting getting around tomorrow morning.

I will be going to Dallas for a training conference next week.  At least it will be warmer there even if the only time I get outside is traveling between the hotel and the training center.  Come on Spring!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:39 am

Wow, TRUDY,
If that isn't the flu, it must be its first cousin. Be careful coughing too hard! Donnie broke a rib in his back about 20 years ago when he had walking pneumonia and coughed very hard. Coughing after that was a real nightmare. Hope you get well very soon and George doesn't get it at all. We have both had colds, but (knocking furiously on wood), so far we haven't gotten the flu. We even wipe down shopping carts with the antiseptic tissues at WalMart and Kroger's now, we are definitely paranoid about getting the flu.

GRAYMARE:
Lots of rain here this evening, the mud is not fun. We are supposed to have an icy/rainy/snow event tomorrow after being in the 60s yesterday. It won't last long, we will be in the 50s on Sunday and near 70 on Tuesday. The mud is terrible everywhere. I spent considerable time brushing away a layer of dried mud off of Ivan yesterday, he was caked. Even his eyebrows were crusty. He didn't look too clean afterward, but was back to furry instead of shellacked looking. Today he is back wearing another layer of dried mud... Rolling Eyes He has a nice gravel/sand arena to roll in that would actually clean him up, but he insists on rolling in mud in the pasture or barnlot.

INDYAPP:
Texas will be a nice change! Hope you have some fun there. We have barely had any snow this winter, it has gone north and south of us, leaving us with rain mostly. We are in a valley between mountain chains that block some of the weather. Not always, but it has this winter.

ELLEN:
Good for Pat! ClappingHands I wish my aunt would get herself a dog. My uncle died a few months ago and she is lonely, but doesn't want to consider a dog yet. I don't think she is a pet person, but would probably be less lonely with some kind of pet. She says her house is so quiet now.

CB:
When are you getting away from that snow?

Only a bit over a month until Spring!!! Soon.......It has been a terrible winter for riding, just too cold or muddy. I rode all last winter, but haven't done much at all this winter. A little cold isn't too bad, but January was record cold and so far, February is rainy. I won't be ready for an April 25 mile endurance ride, the horses won't either. We may have to aim for fall rides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Pat lost. His wife does not want to have to figure out what to do with a dog when they want to be away, even thou b t they know I would help out. He took Chip back this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Pat lost. His wife does not want to have to figure out what to do with a dog when they want to be away, even thou b t they know I would help out. He took Chip back this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm

That sucks. Poor pat. Im sitting in bed with 2 pups on me and the bulldogges by my bed on the floor when they arnt on the bed too.
Lazy day. Going out to dinner or play pool tonight or wTch movie. Up in air still.
Warmer today and then turning very cold again for awhile....calgon take me away....to sunshine!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Oh nuts..............sad for Pat. Animals are a big responsibility
and I understand. Most, once they're animal free, stay that way
after a certain age. Me, I'm a die hard. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:00 pm

So far............... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Me, too, GM. Now that the horses are not here, the digs are getting my undivided attention. I know if we borh go, the kids will step up and take the dogs. They fight who will get the bulldogges now.....
Got rain here, on top if melted snow, its muddy out there. Uck.
No plans for today....maybe fixing some fence....katrina and kyles horses knocked panel down and got out, hot wire going back up.

.y nose is all stuffy....im ready to head south, but we are trying to get house sold....be here for another month at least....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

ELLEN
Well darn. I am sorry Pat couldn't keep his dog. I think everyone probably needs something to take care of. No one had better cart me off to a "home" unless I can at least take my cat! I have to make it to 85 so Areion can live to be 30.

Speaking of Areion, She is much brighter about unlocking gates than any other horse we have had. Donnie says we should check her hooves for opposable thumbs.
She can open chained gates that have caribiners or sliding spring loaded hooks. Twice this week she has gotten a locked gate open. She let Trinket and Cactus out of their stall that had 3 different latches on it, all different....again. Last night she got into the sawdust storage stall, scattered tools everywhere, turned over the wheelbarrow, and left 2 piles of manure to prove she had been there. Spring had better hurry, Areion is bored and needs a job.
Back to top Go down
Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Still here, all!

ARK, I loved your valentine here! I would certainly step up for one of those slurpy kisses. And congratulations on the new saddle. A good find! My own three are still just cluttering up the living room. I will put them on the market come spring. And I have to tell you: I'm wicked abashed that I promised you a present that I haven't yet sent. I imagine my name must be muddier, now, than your barnyard -- but I still plan to deliver.

TRUDY - I am sympathetic in the extreme. I hope you really are improving -- and that you give some thought to CB's advice to go back to the doctor to be sure.

I myself am wiping those shopping-cart handles down fanatically -- and shopping less.

GM I laughed when you said "so far."

Erratic weather here, with six inches of snow overnight last night, on top of the five or six we still have everywhere on the ground-- but today the temp was up to 40, the sun was high, and it felt like spring. I revved up the snowblower to clear where my kindly neighbor hadn't, but did so with no coat on, just a sweater over a flannel shirt (and pants and boots hee hee).

Dogs are fine, snoozing away on the couch in the room with the wood stove -- though I haven't checked for a while, and it's probably a safe bet that the little one has come upstairs (to be near where I am) and readjusted all the bedding to make a nest near the pillow on my bed. They and I send condolences to Pat for the Yorkie's not working out. My two are both adoptees, and they tell me every day how happy they are at where they've ended up. At least I think they do. I know I am. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Beech, I adopted Rex, found him at a shelter. I was very lucky to find him, he fits well with us and our lifestyle.

"Adopt, don't shop"............I heard that on Nat Geo Wild or Animal Planet, not sure which.

But, it's a huge commitment.......works for me, but many of my friends
don't want another commitment. I don't know what I would do without a dog.............they offer so much unconditional love to our family, not to mention protection for two old duffers.

Like CB, my horses will leave at sometime, don't know when. In the meantime, I still really enjoy them. We'll see how long I can hang in there.

We're having snow in the high country tonight, no rain in sight here.

Everybody have a good night. God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 am

BEECH:
Good to see you posting! Please don't worry about sending anything, just having you post would be the best present of all! Really!
I hope your snow goes away soon. It is funny how 40 degrees in the summer would freeze us to death, but in the winter it feels like spring.

GRAYMARE:
Until we got Shadow, our collie, we always got puppies when we got a dog. Shadow was 5 years old when we got him, 6 now, and he has worked out so well! We are really 'cat' people, but Shadow fits right in and adds his doggy self to the mix. I am glad we got him. He keeps me company all day. Adopting an older animal makes sense to us at this point, although we have no plans for any more horses or goats. Their care is physically harder on us than dogs and cats.

Spring is trying to make an appearance here! Our icy/snowy/rainy event on Saturday turned out to be just rain. And mud. It is going to be above freezing all week and on Wednesday, it will be 72 degrees!!! Our grass is getting a greenish look to it, mowing season will be upon us soon. Three years ago today it was 6 degrees with lots of snow on the ground. I like today's weather much better.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi guys.  Happy to report I am feeling much better.  If not for the pain in my back, I would be at least 80%.  All the other symptoms have moved on and I am eating, drinking and starting to notice that George is a really bad house keeper. Shocked  Once ya start to notice house work things are looking up.  He has been cooking his butt off and taking care of Ace for me so I can't whine too loud.  I did say I think I need to hire a maid.  

He drove me to the grocery store this morning and actually went into the store with me to help retrieve items from the shelves.  What a pair of shoppers, neither one of us could bend down to get things from the bottom shelves.   So whatever was down there is still there, we don't need it. I survived the shopping trip without too much stress.  2 weeks of this stuff sure wore me down. I still can't sleep in the bed.  Sitting up from a prone position is a exercise in horrific back pain.  I'm starting to do small exercises for my back.

Praying no one I know gets this stuff, it sure is a horrible illness.  Thanking God that I got that extra heavy duty Senior citizen flu shot in October.  Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes.  You guys are a wonderful bunch of friends.  Stay healthy my friends...

Love & prayers...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Very relieved for a good report, TRUDY. And, George for his hard work
is good to read, also. Keep improving And good luck with your back exercises!

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   

Back to top Go down

February 2018
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next