Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

February 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Very relieved for a good report, TRUDY. And, George for his hard work
is good to read, also. Keep improving And good luck with your back exercises!

God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Trudy, it is good to hear that you are doing better.

Still no computer. I called the shop and he assured me that he would let me know the minute it gets here. I'm glad to have this tablet, but it sure isn't like a real computer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Trudy, it is good to hear that you are doing better.

Still no computer. I called the shop and he assured me that he would let me know the minute it gets here. I'm glad to have this tablet, but it sure isn't like a real computer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Spring can't get here soon enough.  Last week we had a blizzard, today rain.  Not just a sprinkle, I'm talking downpour.  With the ground still frozen I don't yet have mud, but give it a day or two.  It's suppose to warm up to 40s & 50s.  Until then standing water and ice.  

I bought a couple of Davis boots for Sophie as she was really having trouble getting around on all the ice.  The boots are helping her get around a lot.  Only problem is I bought them one size too big.  If she was able to get around faster, the boots would come off, but because she moves so slow I think they will stay on while I am gone.  She kind of reminds me of a toddler tromping around in grandma's boots.  

I would love to have a dog.  I hate the idea of having to leave a dog at home all day by herself.  I'd love to have a basset hound.  I'd name her Clarice.  But until I can be around to spend time with a dog I'll stick to my cats.  In fact, Charlie is right here beside me (asleep.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Where is ELLEN?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 am

Sorry, ELLEN, I missed your post............hope your computer comes soon.

INDY, a cat is great............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 am

TRUDY:
I am glad to hear you are feeling better!! wavy There seems to be a lot more people sick this year from a variety of flu like illnesses. Good for George for keeping things going!

INDYAPP:
Would your hound be named after the Jody Foster character in "Silence of the Lambs" or do you just like the name? ( I always hear Hannibal Lector saying "Clarice" when I read that name. Laughing ) Or is that Rudolph the reindeer's girlfriend? rendeer It is a pretty name.
Sorry about the ice. That worries me more than about anything with horses. We have been fairly fortunate so far this year, not a lot of ice, just mud. I hope the boots work out for your horse. Our Daisy is the worst for slipping here. She has been wearing SoftRide boots for her sore feet, but those seem to have less traction than her own hooves. I took Areion on a trail ride a couple of weeks ago wearing EasyCare Gloves and she had to be very careful of the mud, she was really sliding around. Some boots come with ice studs that can be attached to the boot, but we don't have those. Thankfully, Areion was very careful about where she placed her feet in that muddy muck. Daisy would have probably fallen down.

ELLEN:
Sorry about your computer. I hope it comes home soon. I love computers and cars until they don't work, then I want to throw them out the window. Luckily, Donnie is more patient about them.

Gotta run feed the next door dogs and my herd.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Still no computer. The vendor has certainly been slow to ship it to the shop. Shop owner called today to tell me the vendor said it was delayed by bad weathsr enroute. It will be here Thursday. I'm going to suggest to the shop owner that he order from Amazon next time. It would have been here a lot faster.

Indy if it were colder, how much snow would we have by now? Two whole days of ☔️ LOTS of rain. 60 degrees isn't bad though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 am

Well bummer, ELLEN..........

I thought you & INDY were having snow.............ooooo, rain.
Well, good for the ground, that's for sure.

Spring is on the way............cheers.

Bye for now. God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 am

28 for our hi today....12 tonight....where is that spring you talk about, GM scratch
Just biding time for lab tests, doc appts, dental appts...heading back out for awhile, wish it could be now and get out of the cold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am

TRUDY: Some thoughts here about sore backs...

A few years back, just before I was scheduled for a dreaded surgery (vertebroplasty) for a crushed vertebra that was extremely painful, I sought out an osteopath on my own (she'd been recommended by a friend), just to get her opinion about the procedure.

"Get up on the table," she said. "No, no," I said, "I just want to talk to you about this." "Get up on the table," she said. "No, no," I said, and we went back and forth that way for a couple more go-rounds until I finally crawled up onto the table, scared to death about what I might be letting myself in for.

Well, I want to tell you that she took away the pain, in that visit and several thereafter, so that all thoughts of surgery went immediately straight out the window. Since then, I've been just great (in the back department anyway rake ) and recommended her to everybody I know with back problems. Of course I know that there are back problems and there are back problems, but I can't say enough about how simply she solved mine.

Her technique is called osteopathic manipulation and that's all she does -- quietly and gently and so subtly that you feel nothing. Once, when she was done, I asked her what exactly she'd been doing. She just smiled and said, "It's complicated." And, though she's married with children and so must be well into her 30s, she's a little bit of a thing who looks about 11. (Ha! Lots of people do to me now! )

When I asked my GP, an internal-medicine MD why he hadn't recommended that procedure, he just shrugged and said, "Different discipline."

Just a suggestion here, and an important one, I think, because all doctors (like mine) might not recommend it- and it really worked for me!

(Maybe I should add that I've actually got five squished vertebrae, the first two coming from a bad bicycle accident 14 years ago, and the rest coming afterward , from lifting heavy things I shouldn't have. No vertebroplasty for any. Yeah, I know: I'm hunchbacked, but my back doesn't hurt!! ClappingHands ClappingHands )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for all the get well wishes and prayers and ideas of what to do next.  Funny but I just said to George maybe I should go and see my physical therapist about this back issue.  I tried sleeping in the bed last night, OUCH and double OUCH.  can't lay in the bed in a prone position, at 10:30 I was up and heading for the big old recliner and my heat wrap..  Slept until 6:30 so I feel pretty good this morning.  He said put your knee brace on for a day and see if that helps.  WHATEVER...I'll try that and if there is no progress I'll call the therapist.

It's going to be 74 here today.  Crazy weather.  I was thinking yesterday when I bought my Red horse back in the early 90's I remember riding him in a T-shirt on Valentines Day.  PA weather is crazy.  Snow on Sunday, 74 on Weds.  

ELLEN:  That is crazy about your computer.  With todays overnight delivery it should have been delivered by now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Good grief ELLEN. What I learned from your computer episode is to order my own computer and have a whizzard connect up to my
material and programs..............you're right, Amazon could have it to you in 2 days...............at the most.

That said, we're conditioned to believe everything is instantaneous.
"It's all about me"........we all suffer from it in today's society.

Is your rain stopping or slowing?

hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 pm

I like to support local businesses, but I am sure I could have bought this thing cheaper and a whole lot faster from Amazon. Once I get this one home and finally organized, I hope I won't have to do it again for a looong time. He may not show it to me, but I'm going to ask to see the tracking information.
Oh, well. I am proving to myself that I can survive without a computer, although I can't do any machine embroidery. I have knitted 10 hats for Pat to take to the concer center where he got successful treatment last fall.

With all the rain we've had the last few days, more than half the lake ice is gone on this lake and there is flooding all around. This county has run out of road closed signs, due to high water. The lake levels are up about 15to 18 inches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

WOW, what a storm.............

Glad for you your computer will be ready soon. At least you can post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 am

Today it was 78 degrees!!! wavy   My kind of weather.  Unfortunately, tomorrow will be 45 with rain...sigh...But today I rode Ivan in the arena and had a very nice time.  Ivan was super sweet.  My stupid thigh/hip issue isn't gone, I have to go thru several minutes of excruciating pain before the muscle relaxes when I first get on a horse.  After that it isn't so bad.  In the meantime, Ivan is so patient about waiting on me to get over the pain so we can do our ride.  He was so nice, I am not quite sure how to tell him how much I appreciate that.  It took about 10 minutes until the muscle relaxed and then we did our usual stuff.  It didn't help that I forgot to take an Advil beforehand.... rake  

Donnie got a bit creative with the camera.  He shot photos of us thru a broken rail in the fence.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm

That's a really cool picture through the fencing, ARK. It looks like a good ride. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm

One more day. The computer is at the shop having all the data transferred into it. There is a LOT to move. I will go pick it up first thing when the store opens.

The lake ice is almost gone, one acre sized sheet still left, and it will be gone in a few hours. One daring guy was out on a little pedal pontoon, with a fishing rod.
We have flood conditions due to all the rain from the last 4 days. There is water covering more than half of my lower yard. There are some low lying houses that could be in danger again. Over the last few years people have been jacking up and remodeling more and more of them, so there aren't as many that flood.

Ark that is a really neat picture through the fence board. You should print and frame that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 am

Ark should paint that picture! Neat.

We are getting snow and more snow....ugh.....february use to be warmer with rain and horses knee deep in mud.....now knee deep in snow. And omg, so much colder than i remember.

Trudy, you feeling ok, now.

Stay dry as ya can in all the rain, gals.
We will be staying put this weekend, hitting grocery store today
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Woohoo! I have the new computer! However, I lost my contact list. I have some of them on my phone, but if you want to, please send an email to EllenClark@mchsi.com so I can capture your address.
It's a really nice computer but it's going to take a while to get it trained. Very Happy At this point it doesn't know how to let me get here, so I am using the phone, hoping I don't have to redo the passwords.

The water level is really high right now, and still coming up. I am a little concerned for my neighbors 6 houses down. They are in no shape to haul sandbags. They are safe for a few more inches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Graymare, thanks for the link. I was able to get signed in this time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Whew! I've made some progress. I used the contact list from my phone and manually entered what information I had into the contact list. That was an hour's project, but I will happily do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 am

Happy weekend everyone.

I'm feeling pretty good now except for the lower back issue, but it is coming along also.  I still can't sleep laying flat in the bed.  Thanking God for our old recliner, slept all night.  WOOHOO

We are getting rain rain and more rain.  Beats the heck outta snow.

I managed to go to the grocery store and could get the items on the bottom shelve and went to my Barnabas team meeting all by myself.  A huge step in my recovery.  I cooked dinner last night too so George finally had a break from cooking.  Funny how food tastes better when someone else cooks it.

We are going out to dinner with friends tonight., to the local fish fry over at Montour County Fairground.

Today is my great grand daughters first birthday. I can't be around her until I know I am not a carrier of whatever illness I managed to get. Bummer..

Stay healthy my friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 pm

As usual, I am obsessed with the latest toy. Thanks for sending me your addresses.
This has Windows 10 on it. It's a little different than 8.1, but a little better. Like always, it takes a bit to get used to it. It has done a really good job of adding some of my accessories, like my printer, external keyboard and mouse, etc. with no problem at all. I was expecting it to take a week or more to get it all set up, but I'm done.
Although it took a while to get it here, it has been easy to get it going. No temptation to use it for a boat anchor, like the last one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm

TRUDY, so glad you feel better. Sorry for your rain.

ELLEN, do you still have rain?

INDY? ARK?

Sunny here and cool, about 58. Rain coming in next week.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 pm

There is another rain storm heading this way tonight. Then, if the weather people know what they are talking about, we might get a couple of dry days. I went down and tied the kayak to a post so it won't float away if the water gets up to it. The level isn't quite as high as it was in 2009, but getting close. Unless my calculations are off, it hasn't been 50 years since the last 50 year flood - in 2009.
The neatest part of the day was early this morning when I saw a great big beaver swimming by. He was really motoring along. There are several places they have built lodges, but it's fairly uncommon to actually see them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2018   

Back to top Go down

February 2018
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next