Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

MARCH 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 pm

999 photos would have probably filled up her e-mail. Very Happy Yes, computers do some strange things now and then.

We got about 17 flakes of snow this morning, but the sun is out now, so I'm hoping that most of it will melt off today.

The water level is still high, only about 10 inches now. So, closer to normal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm

TRUDY:
ROFL I am sure glad your computer didn't send out all those photos! Glad you didn't get all the snow.

ELLEN:
We didn't get any of the snow, just lots of wind and snowflurries. And cold. They are saying we may get snow on Sunday, though. We really haven't had any snow this year...which has been fine with me.

Not much going on here, just picking up stuff the wind is knocking down and feeding that herd of dogs next door.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 pm

It sometimes amazes me how time zips by when busy.  CB good for you rescuing those pups.  At 5 and 6 pounds they sure are small.  My Miss Wobbles cat weighs about 5 pounds and she's pretty small.

If you don't like the weather in Northern Indiana, just wait a day or two, it will change.  In the last 20 or so days we've had a mini blizzard that we closed work early.  Then the Great Flood came along.  I've heard it called a 100 year flood and a 500 year flood.  Either way it was a lot more water than normal.  A day or two of moderate sunshine and we are now back to fluffy snow.

Ark what do you do for your laminitis flare ups?  Anything other than taking her off grass?  I just got a supplement called Heiro that I'm trying for Sophie.  I hate having to keep her on bute.  I've always heard bute is hard on their stomachs when used for long periods of time.  I've never heard how long a long period of time is so I want to get her off of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 am

INDYAPP
Poor Daisy just can't have grass and no free choice hay, either. I have to make sure she gets a measured amount of hay and no grain. I give her soaked sugarless beet pulp mixed with a bit of soaked alfalfa pellets instead of grain. She thinks she is getting something. Daisy also wears boots called Soft Rides that provide cushioning and her feet have to be kept trimmed closely. Long toes make her feet sore. When she is in a laminitis attack, she gets 2 grams of bute in the morning and one at night. I get her off of it as soon as possible because of the damage it can do to her stomach and kidneys. I haven't heard of the product you mentioned, I will look it up. The soaked alfalfa, that has calcium in it, helps her stomach with the bute. Thankfully, she isn't limping badly right now, so is off bute again.

My first Arabian mare, Arkady, injured her chest by running into a fence when she was 2 years old. This was back around 1992 or 93. Her chest blew up like a balloon from the damage and had to be drained for weeks. She was prescribed a lot of bute for weeks and none of her vets thought anything about it. She developed kidney failure when she was 10 years old in 2001. When she died, the necropsy showed she only had one kidney and it was the size of a soccer ball. Now they tell us that bute can cause kidney damage, so that is probably what caused Arkady's problems. I use it sparingly now. I sure wish I had known about it back then.
Back to top Go down
cb

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:48 am

Tad warmer last few days. H has to have hearing aids, and hes going to the va to try to get them.

The pups only weighed a lb each when i rescued them in september....tiny lil chits....but terrors.

We put an offer on a house, but has to go va, and we dont know that yet....grandson is to clise on our house in idaho on april 15th...

Decided to settle diwn due to health issues and just take shorter trips out and back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:09 pm

CB, having an "X" on the map that marks "Home" sounds like a good idea. More room for you and your dogs. Closer to family too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Good luck, CB. Hope it all works out............

hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:23 pm

CB: I think today is your happy birthday. Hope I am right as I am wishing you HAPPY BIRTHDAY. If I have the wrong day, just blame it on my phone that does crazy things and lies to me. Darn it, I was so looking forward to a visit from you and Harry later this summer.

We missed another storm but one is brewing for tomorrow or Tuesday, hoping it stays out east this time too. We have been so lucky with the storms staying out on the coast.

I have an eye appointment to talk about cataract surgery tomorrow morning. So not looking forward to that nightmare.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CB!!!  I hope you have a lot of fun today.

I just did my first Christmas shopping.  Harbor Freight was having a big sale, so I got the 14 year old a jigsaw.  He got a drill driver this past Christmas.  One down, a bunch to go.  But I guess I have a little time to finish up.  Very Happy

The first boat of the year is out on the lake. The sun is shining, so it would be nice to be out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Trudy and Ellen, ty. We had a nice warm day, out raking and doing spring cleanup.

Trudy, we r planning on pa in june if all goes well, last long trip out from home base. We will do shorter ones. Your turn to come visit us!
Puppies did well after their surgeries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey, CB, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and many more..............

:dance: :dance:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

CB:
 Yikes, I missed your birthday!  Sorry, I hope it was FANTASTIC!! wavy :dance:

We spent all day yesterday getting ready for today's snow storm.  We have about 6 inches of snow, our first, and hopefully last, snowfall of the year.  It is very pretty.  Now it can go away.  Donnie stayed home today, he has been busy reading the last Game of Thrones book.  It is nice to see him being lazy.  Snow days are typically the only days he is totally lazy...after we get what needs to be done done.  Today he made breakfast and I got everything else done Laughing .   Photos, of course:

Snowfall here today

National Nap Day
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Love that picture of National Nap Day. That is so cute!

We had snow flurries this morning, but it didn't take very long for it to all melt away. The evening is nice and sunny, although it's windy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am

The snow got us this time around, not as bad as you ARK, only a couple inches.  I hope this is the last of bad weather.  

On the weather this morning they have been talking and showing photos of the snow storm of 1993, the worst snow storm ever in PA.  We were trying to move into the farm house and the storm set us back a few days, barns and roofs were coming down everywhere. Finally managed to move in on April 1st and all the snow was gone.  Hard to believe we have lived here for 25 years.

I had my consultation for the cataract surgery yesterday.  YIKES what a drawn out nightmare.  Between their schedule, George's schedule and my schedule I won't be having surgery until June and July.  Just gives me more time to freak out about it.  

CB:  Sorry but we don't travel well, one of us would be murdered by the time we got your place, long drives together are not a happy time for either one of us.  We have to stay close to home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

TRUDY ... Cataract surgery is just horrible IN YOUR MIND!!  I have had both eyes fixed and there really wasn't much to it especially on second eye.  I went to a highly advertised ... "the best" ... doctor and he had me (almost) convinced that I needed the "laser" type surgery as it would be "so much LESS painful".  Only problem is was that Medicare did NOT cover the laser procedure but did cover the conventional process.  My getting a second opinion ... and subsequent conventional surgery ... saved me $2400.  My surgery was done by a professor in eye surgery... a real nice, reassuring gal. Carol helped me with eye drops, etc. afterwards. I had little to NO pain after the "conventional" procedure.

What really bothered me was that one eye was in worse shape than the other and that the $$$$ doctor insisted he would do my "good eye" first.  Sorry ... but his logic sounded worse the more he talked. And he wanted his money paid up front.

Im SO GLAD that I wnet to second doctor...she said without reservation that "bad" eye would be done first.  Ive really had no problems after getting eyes fixed and can see so much better.  GET IT DONE by someone who you can feel comfortable with ... ask all the questions you and George can think of.  You'll be glad you did.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Ive been rather lethargic this winter.  It has really been all that cold for me, but has just stayed there for long time.  The older I get ... the COLDER I get and stay.  Im like everybody else ... so ready for spring time and warmer temps.

My Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia treatment may be coming to an end this year.  We'll see in June (at next appointment) if my WBC has made any improvements.  Its been dropping nicely until last check up a couple weeks ago ... only dropped one point instead of 4 - 6 points we've been seeing.  Energy level is still low ... I feel like Ive been hibernating like a bear all winter.  

Take care ... Love to all ... Rick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Trudy, I can think of several of "us" who have had cataract surgery, all very successful. Most are a little apprehensive about the first eye, and can't wait to get the second one done. I only know of one person who had a problem, and that was only because she was allergic to the drops, not the surgery. She is a person who is allergic to a LOT of different meds.
I have just the beginnings of cataracts, but probably won't have to do anything about it for 7 or 8 more years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm

I used my tablet, yesterday, to take a picture of my two dogs, both dead asleep on the couch, one at one end and one at the other, and I'd post it here, ARK, to match that one of Donnie and the cats, if I knew how -- not just how to post, but how to manipulate the tablet. I don't even know how I managed to get the pic! Oh, the challenges of this techy time! And oh, how much smarter than we the dogs and cats are... Good pics!

Happy birthday belatedly, CB!

And, Trudy: Rick and Ellen echo everything friends here have said about their cataract surgeries -- that they were quite painless and stunningly effective, and that they were very glad that they'd had them done.

But I can relate to the worry. My GP doctor of almost 20 years has left me to be a "hospitalist," and so I've got to find another. Have an appointment tomorrow to see a young woman recommended as his successor, but I'm fretting, fretting: YOUNG??

May not make that appointment because it's for 11:15 a.m. about 20 miles away and we're smack in the middle of a blizzard here, our second in as many weeks, that's not predicted to let up until tomorrow, an hour or so after the appointment. Snow falling heavily, very low visibility, gusty winds, a foot or more expected. We got 18 inches last week, some of which shrank away under the sun. Before that, we had quite a bit of bare ground where the sun had hit, though snow still blanketed the woods. Now we are getting buried again, for sure. I'm enjoying being snugged in by the warming fire.

Ice still on the lakes, ELLEN, though the fishing shacks are gone, I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Beech, I've watched a show on DIY called "Maine Cabin Masters" on Monday night. Have you heard of them? They remodel camps on the lakes in Maine. The locations are just gorgeous.
They work on a few of them going into the winter, or coming into spring when there is ice and snow on the lakes. Naturally, they would prefer to work in better weather. Some of the camps don't have electricity or other utilities, so they sometimes put in solar units to power pumps and lights. Most of them are old small cabins that they update and moderninze, but don't turn them into big mansions.

It's been an interesting weather day. It went from overcast with a few flakes on the ground to blizzard with sleet so dense I couldn't see more than a hundred yards, white caps on the water, to partly sunny, back to blizzard, and finally to partly cloudy, cold and windy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 pm

... this is Daisy (Great Dane) who is boarding here for awhile.  She likes to "nap a lot" ....  The little black dog is Jenga ... she is Jillian / Cameron's small dog.  They will occasionally let us use the couch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 am

Lul warmer, and wind blowing hard! Had a nice day for my birthday. We raked front and back yards, burned huge pile of tradh and old furniture thay caught so fast and hot, took all of us with the hose, shovels to keep it from burning where it twernt suppose to burn....have a nice circle size of a round corral burned off now, darn wind whipped up and the flames went high.
Had cake and icecream, played some games....nice time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beech

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 am

Oh, RICK, that pic's a duplicate of mine! Including the one leg sticking straight up in the air! I often wonder about that leg. Is it a defense against marauding eagles?
Or drones? I love it! Thank you.

ELLEN, I saw an ad for that show just recently but haven't watched it yet. I think I don't want to be reminded of what's now just out of reach -- or that I used to have when living in a story-book little house I built myself in some woods in a small town in Massachusetts. In fact I'm marvelously content in my current little home, with woods and lakes and mountain views available all about. I feel very lucky. Oddly enough, what I do tend to watch are shows depicting rural England. I think that's for the deep human history missing here that I crave in my bones.

CB, YOU are a ball of fire!

Still snowing. Weather people say we're approaching 20 inches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 am

RICK:  Thanks for sharing your experience with me.  Love the photos of the dogs, isn't it just crazy the positions they sleep in?  

Thanks everyone for soothing my fears of the eye surgery.  I've heard great things about the surgeon who will be doing mine from people who have used him.  I'm fine with him doing it, he recommended that we do the worst eye first not my dominate eye.  I'm not doing the surgery where I won't need glasses, heck I've worn glasses for 60 years, whats a few more years of wearing them.  They have been my eye doctors for over 25 years so I am comfortable with their diagnoses.  I'm just a big old chicken when it comes to any surgery, I even still have my tonsils.  LOL

We had snow yesterday about 2" but the sun came out and it's all gone now.

BEECH: So sorry about all your snow this year, it sure has been a rough year up North. It's been tough here in eastern PA, just not Central where we live. The Poconos have been getting hammered, I think they finally have their electric back on after being without power for about 10 days in some places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:01 pm

TRUDY:
 Having cataract surgery was the best thing I have ever done medically for myself.  I wore 'bottle-bottom' glasses all my life, could not see to find my glasses if they got knocked off my face, and always lived in fear of losing or breaking them.   When they said I had cataracts and could have my vision corrected for near-sightedness by having lens implants at the time of the cataract surgery,  I went for it.  My insurance paid for the  cataract surgery, I had to pay for the extra lenses to correct my vision.  I didn't get the bifocal type lenses, just the nearsighted ones, so have to use reading glasses when I read or work up close.   BUT! I can see the leaves on the tops of trees, tell the differences between cows and horses in far off fields, and see stars I never could see before.  I am still amazed at the improvement in my life.  And I can go into a store and buy any cute sunglasses I want and not have to have prescription ones.  The cost of each of the corrective lenses was about what I had to pay for a pair of glasses.  It was sooooo worth it!!

I do wear safety or sun glasses in the barn or riding because I don't see up close as well and don't blink fast enough to avoid flying hay or bugs or such things.   I have gone from super nearsighted to somewhat far-sighted.   Small change of habit, but not one that bothers me.  

So don't give up on the chance to go glasses-free by having the lens implants!!  

RICK:
 How long are you going to be giant dog-sitting?  affraid   I am still feeding the neighbor's dogs.  I feel like i  may have inherited them.... Rolling Eyes  The deaf one is difficult to capture on occasion, he has compulsions to run circuits around the property when I show up to feed them and forgets that I am there to feed him NOW.  I can't exactly call him, he is deaf.   The red hound bays when I show up, that is kind of cute.  The blond mutt rolls over and acts like she would like a belly rub to show her appreciation for my appearances.  I do wish the neighbor would haul herself home, though,  I have enough animals to feed twice a day for weeks on end.

BEECH:
 If you can figure out how to send me the photo, I will post it for you.  Your snow sounds terrible.  Our 6 inches of snow is trying to melt away, although it snowed another half inch last night.  Donnie took pix of the horses in the snow...

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Daisy Dane belongs to Jillian's "significant other". Jillian (sold her house / bought another) moved and Daisy came to live with us until such time as I can get a dog lot / pasture (LOL !!) built at her new place. I have several "but firsts" to accomplish before I can even start on that project. Rolling Eyes Jenga came along also to keep Daisy company and they are great pals. It is a literal RIOT here when they go on their daily rampage here in the house. Both critters are "runners" so they have to be confined to house or dog yard here. Jillian and Jeremiah have "visiting" rights.Very Happy

I hope to get their yard constructed in the next few weeks when I get those "but first" chores done and also when the weather hopefully warms up some. Gotta remember...I'm LAZY and that Snoop dude is never around when I could use some extra help.

I will say this about Daisy ... she is really a lovable critter and will pester Carol each evening to come sit on couch with her. I can occasionally pet her but she goes to Carol.

===============

TRUDY ... glad to see the positive comment you made about having eye surgery.cheers I still wear glasses for reading (computer / books, etc.) but my distance vision is quite nice w/o them. I failed to mention that I was given a "relaxer" before each surgery and really don't remember much about it. "They" claim I was awake!! The procedure was done quite quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:44 pm

It seems that dogs really enjoy sleeping on their backs. Casey used to do that quite a bit. And she snored.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

Today I drove to Blacksburg for lunch with a friend, the snow was still on the ground in most places.  I got out of the restaurant a couple of hours later and the snow was gone!  It warmed up to about 50 degrees and melted almost all the snow.  The wind is howling, though, making it a lot less fun than it could be.  

I just repaired one of ThunderPuff's Bunny Socks.  He tends to leave them where the dog might find them and the dog did.  The poor Bunny Sock was in ratty shape, one leg pulled off, his face nearly ripped off,  and his sock body torn pretty badly.  ThunderPuff loves those socks, but terrifies them by tempting the dog with their imminent demise.  I probably pick them up in the kitchen and throw them back into the bedroom five times a day.  T-Puff brings them back.  Anyway,  the Bunny Sock is mended and feeling all better now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2018   

Back to top Go down

MARCH 2018
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next