Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

April 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 am

Trudy, here at the lake, there are lots of night lights. I like it dark at night, but I have to live with lights all around. Across the lake, some people just installed a new light on the lake side of their house. That thing is like a landing light, it is sooo bright. It lights up this whole end of the lake. I'm hoping somebody will tell them that they don't need a light that bright.
During the winter, it's pretty quiet around here, but with the arrival of spring, the summer people start coming back. When I first moved here two neighbors told me, "You'll love it here in the winter when everybody is gone. But you'll be happy to see the summer people coming back in the spring." They were right.
This is actually a rather rural area. The lakes are lined with houses, but across the road from those houses are farm fields.
I hope you find the other kittens and can socialize them before they are afraid of the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 am

Didnt get the house.in az....didnt pass va inspections....going to just travel for a few months longer and try again....or just live in rv.
Harry was looking at a honda utv side by side, they were in sale, 2000 off....he came home with one.....yegads. he says hes going to have fun. He about dumped me out the side of the dang thing....yehawww
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 am

We finally had a pretty day today, 50s, and it will be in the 70s by Thursday.  Maybe spring will arrive after all!  

TRUDY:
 Sorry about the two kittens.  I hope you can catch the others soon.  I had more fun raising ThunderPuff than about anything I have done.  Bottle feeding him made him a great kitty.  I only did it for about 10 days.  He was born in a barn, but we got him when he was about 3 weeks old from a hay farmer.  We were afraid to leave him any longer because there were animal tracks outside the barn.  I could raise kittens for a living Laughing .  Too bad there isn't a job like that for me...and I would want to keep them all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Hardly anything is cuter than baby kittens.  ThunderPuff was as cute as they come.

CB, I'm sorry you didn't get the house. I hope another one will come along soon that will be just right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm

CB, sorry about the house.........the right one is out there. Have fun with your
side by side.

t's lovely here in AZ today but breezy........We're on fire watch in the high country.
Horses had a trim today.......they are out munching. I love looking at them so peaceful
& happy.

Friend w stroke got moved to re hab today.........that's good news.

God bless, prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:27 pm

CB:
 Sorry about the house.  The next one will be nicer!

ELLEN:
 Yep,  ThunderPuff was as cute as they came.  He's still pretty cute, or at least thinks he is! Laughing

ThunderPuff's first photo.

GRAYMARE:
 we are having a really nice day here,  low 70s, sunny, but a little windy.  The horses/donkey got their shots this afternoon and Ivan and Areion got Coggins tests.  That is always fun.  Cactus and Trinket both had their teeth floated.  Poor Cactus was sure he was going to die, but with enough happy juice, he didn't care long.  The big horses didn't need their teeth done, thank goodness.  That helped the costs a little.  

TRUDY:
 Donnie's cat, Dorian, was supposed to get his shots today while the vet was here.  I had stuffed him in a cat carrier, but when the vet got here, Dorian came out like a freewheeling buzz saw.  I could not hang onto him.  He ran from the house to the barn and didn't get his shots... Rolling Eyes   He will probably never let me pick him up gain.  He is definitely Donnie's cat.  I have the shot for Donnie to give to him after Dorian forgives us.

Lori is coming tomorrow for lessons.  I noticed awhile ago that the tarp my lovely neighbor stuck on her porch roof was fluttering in the wind.  Ivan's eyes were glued to it... Shocked   It may be another fun lesson tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Wow! What a difference! It was 76° today and I still have the doors open yet this evening. It's GREAT and I LOVE it.

Maybe by tomorrow, the tarp will have flapped so long that Ivan won't notice it anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Record the sound. Play if in the barn u til he pays it no mind at all
I think for now we have given up on a house, hubby decided to get a toyhauler to haul his utv in...so we will play around travelung some. He told the girls its his choice, he doesnt want to live his life around hospitals. Along with heart problems he slso has vascular dimentia....hard for him to deal with that, but now he wants to go enjoy. Girls will probably be mad if i cant get him to hospital fast enuf....but oh. Well. Its his turn to play. He wants to enjoy life. When things become necessary we will do something then. So we are off once again after his appt today. Wish us luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm

CB, those toy haulers are really neat. I've looked at them a couple of times when my cousin was shopping for a camper. It was fun to look at the toy haulers, and think about what I'd like to put in them.
I've seen some of them that people used for a "back porch". Drop the ramp and put chairs in there for a place to hang out.

We had another nice warm day today. I stayed with the little girls this afternoon. They pulled out every toy from the garage. Bicycles, wagon, battery powered Jeep, sidewalk chalk, and everything else they could think of. They LOVE being outside. The baby was happy in her stroller watching the other two running around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 am

ARK:  I found the kittens, they are in the little round cat house, just like the one Thunderpuff was in.  LOL  Funny but the momma cat runs and hides when I go into the barn but Auntie LT dashes into the stall and stands by the cat house guarding the kittens.  LT is such a funny cat, she always takes over the kittens since she can't have kittens any longer.

Our weather was almost 80 yesterday, spend the day getting the garden ready.  Today we are planting potatoes. Rick came out and plowed and disked it up for us.  He is such a blessing.  Thanks to him we are planting a small garden this year.  Planted a few cukes and watermelons yesterday on the patio.

Going out to dinner to Cracker Barrel with friends tonight.  Yeah..no cooking after slaving in the garden today.

Enjoy the warm weather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 am

It's raining and cold - AGAIN, with snow probably on the way tomorrow.
I'm guessing the NASCAR race at Bristol, TN will be a wash out today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Wow some places got hammered with a.spring snow, and a lot of mountain areas are at a deficit. Stay warm, Ellen.

We have to head to az to get our rv, then head to texas to see kids before they leave for alaska. Then back here to deluver our camper to dealer and pick up the toyhauler....then to places unknown or stick around this neck of the woods until harry gets his VA appointments and testings done.
We shall be entering an unknown time zone of nuthin to do but sit around and wait.....ugh....but ok....i like going, seeing, talking to folks....im such a busy body ol cow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Boy, that's a lot of driving, CB............stay safe.
hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am

Have a good trip, CB.

Rose, I didn't get to watch the race yesterday, but since the Brat won, I didn't miss anything.

I'm sure you will all be completely surprised to learn that it is SNOWING AGAIN here. It's April 17th for pete sakes. We should be having green grass and flowers. I should be mowing about twice a week instead of sweeping snow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 am

ELLEN:  It snowed here in PA yesterday.  My brother who lives back in Pittsburgh said they had white outs, we just had flakes a few times and then the sun came out but boy was it COLD.

Off to take Ace to the vet for his annual check up today.  I have to drug him to take him there, he gets so nervous and anxious, glad we only take this trip once a year. 

Today is the date my niece Patty passed away in 2002 from breast cancer.  My brother and I find pennies in the strangest places, we both found pennies at her funeral.  Pennies from Heaven. I was wearing my "I believe in angels" breast cancer T-shirt at church the other day and I found a penny in the hallway. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 am

TRUDY:
That is nice that your niece sends you messages with the pennies! I don't know if it is true or not, but I think it would be nice if it is.

CB:
Did you get your trailer fixed? Saw on FaceBook about some tire troubles...

ELLEN:
This is the whackiest spring ever. It snows one day and then it is near 80 degrees the next. Today was the 80 degree day and I had a very nice lesson on Ivan and Areion. Tomorrow it will be back down in the 40s. We had snow flurries yesterday. Rolling Eyes

Areion and I did very well today! She is very forgiving of me. After Lori is done riding her correctly, I get on and she has to figure me out. She has been exceedingly kind lately. We did several patterns and earned an "8" on Lori's 1 to 10 scale today. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

Trudy, the pennies always make you think of her. It's sweet.

Ark, we had another cold day yesterday with the threat of snow. Most of it went north of us, but we did get some freezing rain over night. Today has dawned bright and clear with a promise of a much nicer day.
Isn't it nice when we finally learn to communicate with our critters? Smile

Travis got a new battery for my lawn tractor and got it started and running. Today, I have to blow up the front tires and it should be good to go. The grass doesn't need to be mowed yet, but it is greener than it was.
The migrating loons are showing up on the lake now, along with some other migrating ducks. Little black ducks travel in large groups. They are all black except for a very white beak. I saw a merganser the other day too. So far, the wood ducks haven't gotten here yet.

I'm almost out of cinnamon ball candy, so I think a trip to Shipshewana is in order for this afternoon. I'll probably stock up on a few other staples while I'm there. The bulk food store has much better prices than even Sam's Club.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

The wood ducks flew in yesterday, but didn't stay long. They must be late arriving at their summer home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Horse trailer had bearings seize up and caught on fire, some of the things inside got toasted too and the floor. Think we will sell the ol boy...
We are headed back to idaho tomorrow as grandson didnt get his loan, his fiance convinced him to get a new car and that messed his debt to income ratio.. she is quite a spoiled brat.....
Anyhoo going to clean and fix and sell it i hope to someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah!! Finally a sunny spring day!  I'm taking a little break, watching PBR Rodeo and catching up on what has been happening here.  I think the score is like Bulls 12 Cowboys 1.  I read with interest the discussion on Roku, etc.  I find that a  Roku and antenna for local channels works for me.  One time purchase price of about $40 for the Roku stick allows me to watch the reruns of the programs I miss during the week on the major channels.  I'm not a sports person (except for an occasional rodeo and horse race that accidently catch) so no need for sports channels.  CBS is the only major station that doesn't stream reruns for free.  I refuse to subscribe and pay to watch any tv and I'm ok with having to wait a week to watch the latest episode on NBC if I don't have to pay.  But then I'm patient and cheap  LOL.

So what to you call a group of jr high girls?  I'm currently calling them a gaggle.  Friday evening I looked out and to my surprise saw a whole gaggle of girls trying to get the horses to come up to the fence to be petted.  Went out and set up some ground rules.  No coming into the field to pet them (fence is not electrified).  I figure I'll give them rules since they're going to pet them anyway.  Don't want any of them getting stepped on etc.  I was momentarily speechless when they started raising their hands to ask questions. lol!   Then last night at feeding time there were 4 of them hanging out at the fence and I let them come in to the barn and groom Sophie.  Did you know that jr high girls spontaneously multiply.  Started with 4 then all of a sudden there were 8?  Sophie loved the attention and the girls were very well behaved.  Had a quick lesson on what each grooming tool was used for and how to use it, shedding blade, rubber curry, body brush etc.  Then told them to trade off.  The shedding blade and the mane comb were the favorites.  

Final score Bulls a lot, Cowboys 2.  And they called it a tie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Indy, if you play your cards right, you can have the best groomed horses in the county. Horses are magnets for junior high aged girls. When I volunteered at the therapy stable, they didn't need me in the summer because they had so many girls who really wanted to be there.
Just as a precaution in this sue-happy world, you might consider getting a permission slip signed by the parents. Since you are in the insurance business, you probably know all about that.

About how many channels do you get on your antenna? I'm quite a bit farther away from South Bend and Fort Wayne, so I don't know what I could get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:55 pm

INDYAPP:
I could sure use some horse happy girls around here! All my horses are shedding like mad. Daisy and Trinket are the worst, no wearing Chapstick around them.... Rolling Eyes ...Unfortunately, we don't have a kid safe horse to let them ride. Ivan and Areion are both too reactive to let a non-rider on, and Daisy has sore feet most of the time. She is pretty calm most of the time.

We had a busy weekend with two nice days in a row! It usually rains, snows, or blows us away on weekends lately, it was nice to have good weather. We worked like crazy picking up winter downed branches, mowing, hauling stuff to a burn pile, trimming horses feet, cleaning the barn repeatedly, and grocery shopping. We still haven't seen that scary movie I'd like to see, The Quiet Place. We've been too tired in the evenings to go. We don't usually go to scary movies, but this one looks like fun.

CB:
I am sorry about your trailer. That had to be scary. It sure is good there were no horses on it.

ELLEN:
The nice thing about local stations is that each one has two or three side-channels, too. Our antenna picks up four or five stations with a total of 19 channels that have different things on them. Until we got the antenna, I had no idea the extra channels existed. DirecTv only broadcast the main stations, not the side-channels.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 pm

ELLEN like ARK I get the major local channels ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox and they all have at least 1 side channel if not 2.  Then I have 2 PBS channels that sometimes run the same thing at the same time and then about 7 misc channels including one Spanish channel.  The misc channels usually have 70s & 80s sitcoms.  I think I have about a total of 19 channels.  I don't watch a lot of tv so I find the Roku and antenna work fine for me.  The only problem I have once in a while is if it's super windy the channels may have reception issues.

CB didn't you just put a new floor in that trailer not too long ago?  So glad no one was hurt.

My plan is to talk to parents and I've thought about the waiver if the girls continue to show an interest.  If they do I'll have to get name tags to keep them straight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I thought you'd all like to know.... This came from Svet today.

The Foops have lost one of our dearest members. I received a message today from Libby Brett, daughter of Liz Barnes, that Liz passed away suddenly on Saturday evening. (I do not know the cause.) The world is a dimmer place today, but I know that across the Bridge there is a most wonderful reunion occurring. Blessings, dear Liz, and thank you for your friendship.

Her obituary is here - https://www.arbormemorial.ca/taylor/Obituaries/mary-elizabeth-barnes/18352
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:34 pm

I just saw about Liz on foopfest. Sorry to hear. She has her picture in our calendar we did years ago. She was fun loving and lived to drive her ponies, hopi ng shes off driving thru heaven.

In las vegas, driving thru, the hwy is a mess, bumpy rough...

Going to stop for lunch shortly...then drive on...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:06 pm

LIZ is a loss for sure. We sure had a lot of laughs. May she be resting in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2018   

Back to top Go down

April 2018
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next